PDA

View Full Version : Help! Four questions

Ed. M.
September 16th 05, 01:43 AM
I'm 43, 176#, 6'2". I run for two miles three times/week. I want to build
up my upper body as much as possible, short of taking steroids.

Simply put:
1. How much weight?
2. How many reps?
3. How many sets?
4. What exercises can I do at home that will help (push-ups are out due to
bad wrists). I do have a chin-up bar.

Thanks!
- Ed.

Curt James
September 16th 05, 02:56 AM
Ed. M. wrote:

re building upper body mass/strength

> 1. How much weight?

This will vary.

> 2. How many reps?

Aim for 12 to 6, pyramid-style, increasing weight and reducing reps.

> 3. How many sets?

Four or five.

> 4. What exercises can I do at home that will help
> (push-ups are out due to bad wrists). I do have a
> chin-up bar.

How bad? Can you exercise your wrists with wrist curls to strengthen
them or are your wrists impaired courtesy of carpal tunnel, etc.?

Weighted chins, regular chins, dumbbell rows, barbell rows, deadlifts,
dumbbell pullovers, breathing squats (will stimulate overall mass
increase), and more.

And if push-ups are out then I guess bench and pressing movements are
out as well? :-/

Best of luck, Ed.

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

Ed. M.
September 16th 05, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the help. My wrist issues are due to carpal tunnel, not any
specific injury. I just can't bend my hands back like you would for
push-ups. So long as I keep them straight they're fine.

"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ed. M. wrote:
>
> re building upper body mass/strength
>
>> 1. How much weight?
>
> This will vary.
>
>> 2. How many reps?
>
> Aim for 12 to 6, pyramid-style, increasing weight and reducing reps.
>
>> 3. How many sets?
>
> Four or five.
>
>> 4. What exercises can I do at home that will help
>> (push-ups are out due to bad wrists). I do have a
>> chin-up bar.
>
> How bad? Can you exercise your wrists with wrist curls to strengthen
> them or are your wrists impaired courtesy of carpal tunnel, etc.?
>
> Weighted chins, regular chins, dumbbell rows, barbell rows, deadlifts,
> dumbbell pullovers, breathing squats (will stimulate overall mass
> increase), and more.
>
> And if push-ups are out then I guess bench and pressing movements are
> out as well? :-/
>
> Best of luck, Ed.
>
> --
> Curt
> http://curtjames.com/

Curt James
September 17th 05, 12:17 AM
Ed. M. wrote:
> My wrist issues are due to carpal tunnel,
> not any specific injury. I just can't bend
> my hands back like you would for push-ups.
> So long as I keep them straight they're fine.

Well, then knuckle pushups are the trick and you're open for anything
related to upper body with the exception of bending your wrists.

re knuckle pushups: "These are done by making your hands into fists and
resting your weight on the first two knuckles of each hand (your
punching knuckles). Knuckle push-ups strengthen your wrists and
forearms to help produce more powerful punches."

from
http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=2919

--
Curt
http://curtjames.com/

September 17th 05, 04:18 AM
Ed. M. wrote:

> Thanks for the help. My wrist issues are due to carpal tunnel, not any
> specific injury. I just can't bend my hands back like you would for
> push-ups. So long as I keep them straight they're fine.

Can you do fist pushups?