PDA

View Full Version : Tanita Question Once Again

Anonymous
October 20th 03, 12:23 AM
thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
subject.
I guess there is no need to go above $60.
I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more than
one person memory. The solar scales are nice because they don't need the
batteries
but none of them have body fat measurement which i kind of want. However
the battery powered ones, I don't know how long do batteries in them last.
My present scales are mechanical crap with the measurements varying by as
much as
10 pounds so i can only see my general progress but not my exact weight.

So to recap. I want digital scales under $60. I would like them to have body
fat measurement
(last measurement memory would be nice as well). and also would like them to
have long battery
life (6 months or more). Thanks in advance for all the great
recommendations.

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot
October 20th 03, 03:01 AM
"Anonymous" > wrote in message
. net...
> thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
> subject.
> I guess there is no need to go above $60.
> I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more
than
> one person memory. The solar scales are nice because they don't need the
> batteries
> but none of them have body fat measurement which i kind of want. However
> the battery powered ones, I don't know how long do batteries in them last.
> My present scales are mechanical crap with the measurements varying by as
> much as
> 10 pounds so i can only see my general progress but not my exact weight.
>
> So to recap. I want digital scales under $60. I would like them to have
body
> fat measurement
> (last measurement memory would be nice as well). and also would like them
> have long battery
> life (6 months or more). Thanks in advance for all the great
> recommendations.

Here's what you need:

Weight - $20 Target mechanical scale (any will do)
Body Fat - $20 Calipers
Memory - $2 Notepad/Journal

HTH,

Michael

PS - Here's the reasons:
Weight - Varys from hour to hour & day to day so scale accuracy isn't really
an issue.
Body Fat - Calipers allow you to compare what areas you're losing/gaining
fat and are more accurate than a b.f. scale.
Memory - Tracking your progress is better than just a "last measurement
memory".

Ed Sturm
October 20th 03, 12:34 PM
"Anonymous" > wrote in message
. net...
> thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
> subject.
> I guess there is no need to go above $60.
> I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more
than
> one person memory. The solar scales are nice because they don't need the
> batteries
> but none of them have body fat measurement which i kind of want. However
> the battery powered ones, I don't know how long do batteries in them last.
> My present scales are mechanical crap with the measurements varying by as
> much as
> 10 pounds so i can only see my general progress but not my exact weight.
>
> So to recap. I want digital scales under $60. I would like them to have
body
> fat measurement
> (last measurement memory would be nice as well). and also would like them
> have long battery
> life (6 months or more). Thanks in advance for all the great
> recommendations.

Make sure you get one that has the ATHLETE mode or it will not be even close
to accurate.

--
Ed Sturm
Hard Bodies Discount Supplements

KennyCrox
October 20th 03, 12:37 PM
The Tanita scales are inaccurate and fluctuate from day to day reading on the
measurement of bodyfat percentages. They tend to measure more of the lower
percentages of body fat then the whole body. Hand held version then to measure
more of the upperbody readings.

Someone suggested $20 calipers. Calipers are only as good as the individual
using them A good technician can make a cheap pair work well. Someone who
doesnt' know what they are doing can screw up the reading on a good $300 pair
of Lange calipers.

Kenny Croxdale

Bill Lumberg
October 20th 03, 04:16 PM
"Spammers_Should_Be_Shot" > wrote in message >...
> "Anonymous" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
> > subject.
> > I guess there is no need to go above $60.
> > I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more
> than
> > one person memory. The solar scales are nice because they don't need the
> > batteries
> > but none of them have body fat measurement which i kind of want. However
> > the battery powered ones, I don't know how long do batteries in them last.
> > My present scales are mechanical crap with the measurements varying by as
> > much as
> > 10 pounds so i can only see my general progress but not my exact weight.
> >
> > So to recap. I want digital scales under $60. I would like them to have
> body
> > fat measurement
> > (last measurement memory would be nice as well). and also would like them
> > have long battery
> > life (6 months or more). Thanks in advance for all the great
> > recommendations.
> >

> Here's what you need:
>
> Weight - $20 Target mechanical scale (any will do)
> Body Fat - $20 Calipers
> Memory - $2 Notepad/Journal
>
> HTH,
>
> Michael
>
> PS - Here's the reasons:
> Weight - Varys from hour to hour & day to day so scale accuracy isn't really
> an issue.
> Body Fat - Calipers allow you to compare what areas you're losing/gaining
> fat and are more accurate than a b.f. scale.
> Memory - Tracking your progress is better than just a "last measurement
> memory".

I've lost about 10 pounds in a couple of months. My Tanita scale said
22% at the start and 20% now. Which comes to 5 pounds of fat. So
even though I've been lifting and on a high protien diet it says for 5
pounds of fat I've lost 5 pounds of muscle too. Should I believe this
evil device? Or just not pay too much attention to it.

Bill

Lyle McDonald
October 20th 03, 06:02 PM
Bill Lumberg wrote:

> I've lost about 10 pounds in a couple of months. My Tanita scale said
> 22% at the start and 20% now. Which comes to 5 pounds of fat. So
> even though I've been lifting and on a high protien diet it says for 5
> pounds of fat I've lost 5 pounds of muscle too. Should I believe this
> evil device? Or just not pay too much attention to it.

Hydration drastically affects BIA measurements. A large **** or glass
of water can change your measurement.

Unless you follow strict hydration protocols, and nobody really does,
the Tanita scale/BIA method is absolute ****.

Lyle

Proton Soup
October 20th 03, 07:14 PM
On 20 Oct 2003 08:16:02 -0700, (Bill
Lumberg) wrote:

>I've lost about 10 pounds in a couple of months. My Tanita scale said
>22% at the start and 20% now. Which comes to 5 pounds of fat. So
>even though I've been lifting and on a high protien diet it says for 5
>pounds of fat I've lost 5 pounds of muscle too. Should I believe this
>evil device? Or just not pay too much attention to it.

I prefer to use my waistline as a measure of my fat loss. I'd like my
weight to stay the same or even increase, but lose two inches off my
waist.

Proton Soup

Kirk Roy
October 20th 03, 07:30 PM
Lyle McDonald > wrote:
> Bill Lumberg wrote:
>> I've lost about 10 pounds in a couple of months. My Tanita scale said
>> 22% at the start and 20% now. Which comes to 5 pounds of fat. So
>> even though I've been lifting and on a high protien diet it says for 5
>> pounds of fat I've lost 5 pounds of muscle too. Should I believe this
>> evil device? Or just not pay too much attention to it.
>
> Hydration drastically affects BIA measurements. A large **** or glass
> of water can change your measurement.
>
> Unless you follow strict hydration protocols, and nobody really does,
> the Tanita scale/BIA method is absolute ****.

I get very consistent results with morning use of my tanita scale. Is it
good for getting close to an absolute number? Nope, but it's easy and
will, when averaging over time, give the trend very clearly. I prefer to
use the scale to using calipers, just for the convenience.

Kirk

Anonymous
October 20th 03, 11:53 PM
so what model do you people recommend?
Should i just go for solar scales if BF measurements aren't accurate?

Proton Soup wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2003 08:16:02 -0700, (Bill
> Lumberg) wrote:
>
>> I've lost about 10 pounds in a couple of months. My Tanita scale
>> said 22% at the start and 20% now. Which comes to 5 pounds of fat.
>> So even though I've been lifting and on a high protien diet it says
>> for 5 pounds of fat I've lost 5 pounds of muscle too. Should I
>> believe this evil device? Or just not pay too much attention to it.
>
> I prefer to use my waistline as a measure of my fat loss. I'd like my
> weight to stay the same or even increase, but lose two inches off my
> waist.
>
> Proton Soup

frank-in-toronto
October 21st 03, 12:49 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:53:20 GMT, "Anonymous" >
wrote:

>so what model do you people recommend?
>Should i just go for solar scales if BF measurements aren't accurate?
you should get the tanita. it works fine for regular weight.
and I find the b.f. measurements are very repeatable. if you
manage your hydration and check your b.f., say in the
morning, after a regular get up routine, you may find that
it does reflect changes in your body structure. wear the same
clothes too.

the fact that others are unhappy with it doesn't matter.
what they are saying is if you eat before, or drink a lot,
or drink too little, it'll read wrong. so what? the answer
is very clear. use it the right way and it'll work ok.
....thehick

Perple Glow
October 21st 03, 05:12 AM
What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model? Please
clarify, thanks!

--
Email me at:
perpleglow(AT)comcast.net

"Ed Sturm" > wrote in message
et...

> "Anonymous" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
> > subject.
> > I guess there is no need to go above $60.
> > I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more
> than
> > one person memory. The solar scales are nice because they don't need the
> > batteries
> > but none of them have body fat measurement which i kind of want. However
> > the battery powered ones, I don't know how long do batteries in them
last.
> > My present scales are mechanical crap with the measurements varying by
as
> > much as
> > 10 pounds so i can only see my general progress but not my exact weight.
> >
> > So to recap. I want digital scales under $60. I would like them to have
> body
> > fat measurement
> > (last measurement memory would be nice as well). and also would like
them
> > have long battery
> > life (6 months or more). Thanks in advance for all the great
> > recommendations.
>
> Make sure you get one that has the ATHLETE mode or it will not be even
close
> to accurate.
>

> --
> Ed Sturm
> Hard Bodies Discount Supplements
> ____________________________
> http://www.hardbodiessupplements.com
> http://www.hbsupplements.com
> http://www.hbstores.com
> http://www.edsturm.com

Carol Frilegh
October 21st 03, 02:29 PM
In article <rm2lb.192110$%[email protected]>, Perple Glow
> wrote:

> What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model? Please
> clarify, thanks!

If you have the athelete model and you diet and exercise, you will lose
weight. If you buy the other type, same scenario.

MND (makes no difference)

--
Diva
*****

Perple Glow
October 21st 03, 06:04 PM
Ok thanks... but why make 2 different types then???

--
Email me at:
perpleglow(AT)comcast.net

"Carol Frilegh" > wrote in message
> In article <rm2lb.192110$%[email protected]>, Perple Glow
> > wrote:
>
> > What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model?
Please
> > clarify, thanks!
> >
> If you have the athelete model and you diet and exercise, you will lose
> weight. If you buy the other type, same scenario.
>
> MND (makes no difference)
>
> --
> Diva
> *****
> The Best Man for the Job May Be A Woman

ElfHunter
October 21st 03, 06:06 PM
"Perple Glow" > wrote in message news:<rm2lb.192110$%[email protected]>...
> What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model? Please
> clarify, thanks!

Apparently, Tanita believes that the conductivity of athletes are
different from ordinary folks. So, they recommend that if you are an
athlete, you need to get a scale with such a mode and use it to
measure your body fat. I can't remember their definition of an
athlete but you can probably find it on the product descriptions of
Tanita scales on Amazon.

Here are some observations about Tanita scales.
1. If you warm up your body, your BF reading will be lower. So, if
you were to take a hot shower, you will get a lower reading.
2. The BF readings you get are affected by your current weight. So,
you will get a different reading immediately after you drink a glass
of water.
3. The weight measurements are very accurate.

I keep my readings on a spreadsheet. You really need to analyze your
data to reduce the amount of statistical fluctutations. Alternately,
you can measure your BF at the same time each day, say first thing in
the morning. If used correctly, the scale is very useful. I have
analyzed my measurements for the past month and found that I have lost
about 2.5 pounds last month without losing any lean mass. 9 more
pounds to go.

> --
> Email me at:
> perpleglow(AT)comcast.net
>

> "Ed Sturm" > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "Anonymous" > wrote in message
> > . net...
> > > thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
> > > subject.
> > > I guess there is no need to go above $60.
> > > I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more
> than
> > > one person memory. The solar scales are nice because they don't need the
> > > batteries
> > > but none of them have body fat measurement which i kind of want. However
> > > the battery powered ones, I don't know how long do batteries in them
> last.
> > > My present scales are mechanical crap with the measurements varying by
> as
> > > much as
> > > 10 pounds so i can only see my general progress but not my exact weight.
> > >
> > > So to recap. I want digital scales under $60. I would like them to have
> body
> > > fat measurement
> > > (last measurement memory would be nice as well). and also would like
> them
> > > have long battery
> > > life (6 months or more). Thanks in advance for all the great
> > > recommendations.
> >
> > Make sure you get one that has the ATHLETE mode or it will not be even
> close
> > to accurate.
> >

> > --
> > Ed Sturm
> > Hard Bodies Discount Supplements
> > ____________________________
> > http://www.hardbodiessupplements.com
> > http://www.hbsupplements.com
> > http://www.hbstores.com
> > http://www.edsturm.com

Dick
October 21st 03, 06:20 PM
Perple Glow wrote:

> Ok thanks... but why make 2 different types then???
>
> --
> Email me at:
> perpleglow(AT)comcast.net
>

> "Carol Frilegh" > wrote in message
>
>>In article <rm2lb.192110$%[email protected]>, Perple Glow
> wrote:

I think what he wants to know and myself included is does the non
athletic mode understate or overstate the percentage of your body fat if
you are athletic according to their definition.

Dick

>>>What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model?
>
> Please
>
>>>clarify, thanks!
>>>

>>If you have the athelete model and you diet and exercise, you will lose
>>weight. If you buy the other type, same scenario.
>>
>>MND (makes no difference)
>>
>>--
>>Diva
>>*****
>>The Best Man for the Job May Be A Woman

Perple Glow
October 21st 03, 06:32 PM
I'm a she :-)

--
Email me at:
perpleglow(AT)comcast.net

"Dick" > wrote in message
> Perple Glow wrote:
>
> > Ok thanks... but why make 2 different types then???
> >
> > --
> > Email me at:
> > perpleglow(AT)comcast.net
> >

> > "Carol Frilegh" > wrote in message
> >
> >>In article <rm2lb.192110$%[email protected]>, Perple Glow
> > wrote:
> >>
> I think what he wants to know and myself included is does the non
> athletic mode understate or overstate the percentage of your body fat if
> you are athletic according to their definition.
>
> Dick

> > Please

> >>If you have the athelete model and you diet and exercise, you will lose
> >>weight. If you buy the other type, same scenario.
> >>
> >>MND (makes no difference)
> >>
> >>--
> >>Diva
> >>*****
> >>The Best Man for the Job May Be A Woman

Perple Glow
October 21st 03, 06:32 PM
Ok thank you, that helps!

--
Email me at:
perpleglow(AT)comcast.net

"ElfHunter" > wrote in message
om...
> "Perple Glow" > wrote in message
news:<rm2lb.192110$%[email protected]>...
> > What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model?
Please
> > clarify, thanks!
> >
> Apparently, Tanita believes that the conductivity of athletes are
> different from ordinary folks. So, they recommend that if you are an
> athlete, you need to get a scale with such a mode and use it to
> measure your body fat. I can't remember their definition of an
> athlete but you can probably find it on the product descriptions of
> Tanita scales on Amazon.
>
> Here are some observations about Tanita scales.
> 1. If you warm up your body, your BF reading will be lower. So, if
> you were to take a hot shower, you will get a lower reading.
> 2. The BF readings you get are affected by your current weight. So,
> you will get a different reading immediately after you drink a glass
> of water.
> 3. The weight measurements are very accurate.
>
> I keep my readings on a spreadsheet. You really need to analyze your
> data to reduce the amount of statistical fluctutations. Alternately,
> you can measure your BF at the same time each day, say first thing in
> the morning. If used correctly, the scale is very useful. I have
> analyzed my measurements for the past month and found that I have lost
> about 2.5 pounds last month without losing any lean mass. 9 more
> pounds to go.
>
> > --
> > Email me at:
> > perpleglow(AT)comcast.net
> >

> > "Ed Sturm" > wrote in message
> > et...
> > >
> > > "Anonymous" > wrote in message
> > > . net...
> > than
However
> > last.
> > as

> > body
> > them
> > >
> > > Make sure you get one that has the ATHLETE mode or it will not be even
> > close
> > > to accurate.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Ed Sturm
> > > Hard Bodies Discount Supplements
> > > ____________________________
> > > http://www.hardbodiessupplements.com
> > > http://www.hbsupplements.com
> > > http://www.hbstores.com
> > > http://www.edsturm.com

Kirk Roy
October 21st 03, 07:44 PM
Perple Glow > wrote:
> What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model? Please
> clarify, thanks!

They use a different formula. Someone "athletic" will get a higher reading
on a non-athlete model. If I do the check first thing in the morning mine
reads about 4% over what I get with calipers (e.g., when I was @ 9% BF
according to calipers the scale, in athlete mode, read 13%). If I do the
check in the evening it reads about 2% over. Just pick which one you like
better and be consistent about when/how and you'll easily be able to keep
track of the trend...

Kirk

frank-in-toronto
October 21st 03, 09:48 PM
On 21 Oct 2003 18:44:09 GMT, Kirk Roy > wrote:

>Perple Glow > wrote:
>> What is the difference between athlete model and non-athlete model? Please
>> clarify, thanks!
>
>They use a different formula. Someone "athletic" will get a higher reading
>on a non-athlete model. If I do the check first thing in the morning mine
>reads about 4% over what I get with calipers (e.g., when I was @ 9% BF
>according to calipers the scale, in athlete mode, read 13%). If I do the
>check in the evening it reads about 2% over. Just pick which one you like
>better and be consistent about when/how and you'll easily be able to keep
>track of the trend...
another way to say it: if you check yourself on adult mode,
and get say 20 %. using athlete mode will drop that
reading to maybe 12 or 13. Of course, neither of
these numbers is pretending to be correct (unless
you work for tanita or are selling them).
....thehick

jmk
October 23rd 03, 07:17 PM
On 10/19/2003 7:23 PM, Anonymous wrote:
> thinking of buying tanita so wanted everyone's recommendations on the
> subject.
> I guess there is no need to go above $60.
> I will be only one weighting on the scales so there is no need for more than
> one person memory.

Well, the model that I have does not remember my height and that makes
it a real pain when I want to do body fat %. I "solved" this by just
checking that weekly but it would be really nice if it remembered my
height, etc. for this. Also, I wish that the bf% did not go in whole
precentage points but maybe half points but that doesn't bug me too
much. Anyway, if I were looking for a scale again, I would make sure
that it had memory for 1-2 people and bf% that went down half points.

I've had my Tanita since about June and the battery that came with it is
going strong. It automatically shuts off so that probably helps.

--
jmk in NC

geoff
October 25th 03, 03:24 PM
From:
http://www.bodytrends.com/articles/body_comp/tanitaathletemode.htm

Why is there an "Athlete Mode"?

The Athlete mode was developed to provide a more accurate reading for
athletic body types. Athletic body types are physiologically different than
standard adult body types, due to muscle mass and hydration level
differences. Athletes tend to have greater muscle mass and tend to be more
dehydrated. These differences would skew the body fat reading high, when
taken with the standard Adult mode.

Tanita defines "athlete" as a person involved in intense physical activity
of approximately 10 hours per week and who has a resting heart rate of
approximately 60 beats per minute or less. Tanita's athlete definition
includes "lifetime of fitness" individuals who have been fit for years but
currently exercise less than 10 hours per week.

Tanita's athlete definition does not include "enthusiastic beginners" who
are making a real commitment to exercising at least 10 hours per week but
whose bodies have not yet changed to require the Athlete mode.