PDA

View Full Version : Herbal thermogenics?

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 18th 05, 08:20 PM
Was perusing the supplements at Wal-mart today... and was amazed at the
variety they are carrying! It was a surprise.

Lots of herbals, including Cinnamon capsules and cayanne capsules.

I've read that Cayanne, Cinnamon and Ginger would all raise your body
temp a bit, and have thermogenic properties.

Granted, I could just cook with these (and in fact I use quite a bit of
grated ginger mixed with garlic as a flavoring in foods) but would there
really be any point in taking these in capsule form?

They were not expensive...

Cheers!
--
Om.

R Smith
October 19th 05, 11:11 PM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Was perusing the supplements at Wal-mart today... and was amazed at the
> variety they are carrying! It was a surprise.
>
> Lots of herbals, including Cinnamon capsules and cayanne capsules.
>
> I've read that Cayanne, Cinnamon and Ginger would all raise your body
> temp a bit, and have thermogenic properties.
>
> Granted, I could just cook with these (and in fact I use quite a bit of
> grated ginger mixed with garlic as a flavoring in foods) but would there
> really be any point in taking these in capsule form?

Isn't cayenne supposed to be of benefit for heartburn (yes, no $hit).
Ginger is good for motion sickness, my wife swears by it, when she's not
swearing at my driving. Cinnamon is good on toast and/or oatmeal. Although
I generally prefer salt and a slice of American Cheese on my oatmeal.

> They were not expensive...
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

David Cohen
October 20th 05, 05:48 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Was perusing the supplements at Wal-mart today... and was amazed at the
> variety they are carrying! It was a surprise.
>
> Lots of herbals, including Cinnamon capsules and cayanne capsules.
>
> I've read that Cayanne, Cinnamon and Ginger would all raise your body
> temp a bit, and have thermogenic properties.
>
> Granted, I could just cook with these (and in fact I use quite a bit of
> grated ginger mixed with garlic as a flavoring in foods) but would there
> really be any point in taking these in capsule form?
>
> They were not expensive...

All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
cook with them.

October 20th 05, 06:32 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> Was perusing the supplements at Wal-mart today... and was amazed at the
>> variety they are carrying! It was a surprise.
>>
>> Lots of herbals, including Cinnamon capsules and cayanne capsules.
>>
>> I've read that Cayanne, Cinnamon and Ginger would all raise your body
>> temp a bit, and have thermogenic properties.
>>
>> Granted, I could just cook with these (and in fact I use quite a bit of
>> grated ginger mixed with garlic as a flavoring in foods) but would there
>> really be any point in taking these in capsule form?
>>
>> They were not expensive...
>
> All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
> cook with them.
>
> David

David - looks like my trip to USA is set - will arrive Vegas Jan 12 (Thurs)
and leave next day(driving) - planning to drive to Dallas where I have to
spend some time on biz. So cancel *all* engagements for Thurs evening!

David Cohen
October 20th 05, 07:10 AM
David wrote:
> "David Cohen" > wrote
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> Was perusing the supplements at Wal-mart today... and was amazed at the
> >> variety they are carrying! It was a surprise.
> >>
> >> Lots of herbals, including Cinnamon capsules and cayanne capsules.
> >>
> >> I've read that Cayanne, Cinnamon and Ginger would all raise your body
> >> temp a bit, and have thermogenic properties.
> >>
> >> Granted, I could just cook with these (and in fact I use quite a bit of
> >> grated ginger mixed with garlic as a flavoring in foods) but would there
> >> really be any point in taking these in capsule form?
> >>
> >> They were not expensive...
> >
> > All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
> > cook with them.
>
> David - looks like my trip to USA is set - will arrive Vegas Jan 12 (Thurs)
> and leave next day(driving) - planning to drive to Dallas where I have to
> spend some time on biz. So cancel *all* engagements for Thurs evening!

Yes, putting this in a thread about thermogenic herbs made MUCH more
sense than email.

Dinner, Thursday, January 12. I will arrange time off work (I use any
excuse for time off work...I am a lazy SOB).

I think I'll take that whole week off, since my duaghter has a day off
school on Friday. Yeah, that's a good idea. Less work. Excellent.

October 20th 05, 07:24 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> David wrote:

>> > All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
>> > cook with them.
>>
>> David - looks like my trip to USA is set - will arrive Vegas Jan 12
>> (Thurs)
>> and leave next day(driving) - planning to drive to Dallas where I have
>> spend some time on biz. So cancel *all* engagements for Thurs evening!
>
> Yes, putting this in a thread about thermogenic herbs made MUCH more
> sense than email.
>
> Dinner, Thursday, January 12. I will arrange time off work (I use any
> excuse for time off work...I am a lazy SOB).
>
> I think I'll take that whole week off, since my duaghter has a day off
> school on Friday. Yeah, that's a good idea. Less work. Excellent.

ha ha! (ok ok - If I was smart I'd be rich) - etalk soon on email

October 20th 05, 12:03 PM
On 19 Oct 2005 21:48:54 -0700, "David Cohen" >
wrote:

>All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
>cook with them.

Well if you can cook with them, doesn't that make them thermogenic?

Dally
October 20th 05, 02:14 PM
David Cohen wrote:
> David wrote:

>>>All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
>>>cook with them.
>>
>>David - looks like my trip to USA is set - will arrive Vegas Jan 12 (Thurs)
>>and leave next day(driving) - planning to drive to Dallas where I have to
>>spend some time on biz. So cancel *all* engagements for Thurs evening!

Noooooo!

If substance and a vacuum meet, doesn't the world annihilate itself? I
seem to recall that from a Star Trek episode.

Dally

David
October 20th 05, 02:54 PM
"Dally" > wrote in message
> David Cohen wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>
>>>"David Cohen" > wrote

>>>David - looks like my trip to USA is set - will arrive Vegas Jan 12
>>>(Thurs)
>>>and leave next day(driving) - planning to drive to Dallas where I have
>>>spend some time on biz. So cancel *all* engagements for Thurs evening!
>
> Noooooo!
>
> If substance and a vacuum meet, doesn't the world annihilate itself? I
> seem to recall that from a Star Trek episode.

Cohen is a friend of mine Dolly. There is no need to disparage him in this
way.

David Cohen
October 20th 05, 05:49 PM
wrote:
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>
> >All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
> >cook with them.
> >
> Well if you can cook with them, doesn't that make them thermogenic?

No, cooking makes them endothermic.

David

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 20th 05, 05:55 PM
In article . com>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Was perusing the supplements at Wal-mart today... and was amazed at the
> > variety they are carrying! It was a surprise.
> >
> > Lots of herbals, including Cinnamon capsules and cayanne capsules.
> >
> > I've read that Cayanne, Cinnamon and Ginger would all raise your body
> > temp a bit, and have thermogenic properties.
> >
> > Granted, I could just cook with these (and in fact I use quite a bit of
> > grated ginger mixed with garlic as a flavoring in foods) but would there
> > really be any point in taking these in capsule form?
> >
> > They were not expensive...
>
> All are healthy for you, none are worth a **** as a thermogenic, so,
> cook with them.
>
> David

Thought as much, thank you. ;-)
Am making a wild mushroom soup this weekend with fresh chicken stock.
Will flavor it with onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper and celery.

Mushrooms will be portabello, baby'bello, regular button mushrooms and
fresh ****ake. Will add a little bit of fat free sour cream to make a
cream style soup, but not too much.

Gotta stick to Lyle's list. :-P

Cinnamon goes well with italian, Cayanne with creole shrimp and crab
dishes with a small amount of okra.

Cheers!
--
Om.

October 20th 05, 08:17 PM
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:55:30 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Am making a wild mushroom soup this weekend with fresh chicken stock.
>Will flavor it with onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper and celery.

WHAT? You kill poor lil mushrooms? Geez....

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 20th 05, 09:44 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:55:30 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Am making a wild mushroom soup this weekend with fresh chicken stock.
> >Will flavor it with onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper and celery.
>
> WHAT? You kill poor lil mushrooms? Geez....

Bite me. ;-)
--
Om.

October 21st 05, 01:59 AM
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:44:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Bite me.

Maybe, what's your nutritional value?

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 21st 05, 02:55 AM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:44:13 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Bite me.
>
> Maybe, what's your nutritional value?

Low carb......
--
Om.

October 21st 05, 11:26 AM
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:55:43 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Low carb......

Sorry, I don't believe in the Atkins diet.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 21st 05, 06:05 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:55:43 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Low carb......
>
> Sorry, I don't believe in the Atkins diet.

I'm not on the Atkins diet...

I lost 50 lbs. following Atkins, then stalled.

For 4 months.

Now I am doing the PSMF diet a' la' Lyle McDonald.
The scale is beginning to drop again.

Rapidly. ;-)

This mornings meal was some top round.
Raw, cubed and dressed with some Bragg's liquid aminos
and a side of baby spinach and sliced mushrooms,
also raw and dressed with Bragg's and some salt
free lemon pepper with a squeeze of key lime juice.

I've been mostly living on boneless skinless chicken breast
with fresh greens or canned spinach.

I'm learning new ways to flavor grilled chicken breast
to keep it from getting TOO boring! This week it was
coated lightly with plain yellow mustard prior to grilling.
It worked quite well!

This diet is low fat and is taking some getting used to.
I got spoiled by Atkins on the fat consumption issue. <G>

Still trying to figure out a good way to fix canned tuna
without using mayonaisse. <sigh>

I'm sure that switching from the bike to the stairmaster is also
helping.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Hugh Beyer
October 21st 05, 07:16 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
:

> Still trying to figure out a good way to fix canned tuna
> without using mayonaisse. <sigh>

1/2 chopped vidalia onion, 1 chopped vine-ripe tomato, 1 tbsp balsamic
vinegar, 1 can tuna fish. Yum. Add basil if you like it.

Hugh

--
Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
chocolate. ("Ladi")

October 21st 05, 07:25 PM
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:05:17 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>I'm not on the Atkins diet...
>
>I lost 50 lbs. following Atkins, then stalled.
>
>For 4 months.
>
>Now I am doing the PSMF diet a' la' Lyle McDonald.
>The scale is beginning to drop again.
>
>Rapidly. ;-)
>
>This mornings meal was some top round.
>Raw, cubed and dressed with some Bragg's liquid aminos
>and a side of baby spinach and sliced mushrooms,
>also raw and dressed with Bragg's and some salt
>free lemon pepper with a squeeze of key lime juice.
>
>I've been mostly living on boneless skinless chicken breast
>with fresh greens or canned spinach.
>
>I'm learning new ways to flavor grilled chicken breast
>to keep it from getting TOO boring! This week it was
>coated lightly with plain yellow mustard prior to grilling.
>It worked quite well!
>
>This diet is low fat and is taking some getting used to.
>I got spoiled by Atkins on the fat consumption issue. <G>
>
>Still trying to figure out a good way to fix canned tuna
>without using mayonaisse. <sigh>
>
>I'm sure that switching from the bike to the stairmaster is also
>helping.
>
>Cheers!

It would be SO MUCH easier just to run 9 miles a day...

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 21st 05, 07:28 PM
In article >,
Hugh Beyer > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
> :
>
> > Still trying to figure out a good way to fix canned tuna
> > without using mayonaisse. <sigh>
> >

> 1/2 chopped vidalia onion, 1 chopped vine-ripe tomato, 1 tbsp balsamic
> vinegar, 1 can tuna fish. Yum. Add basil if you like it.
>
> Hugh

That sounds good...
I have to be careful of the carbs in tomatoes tho'.

I was also thinking of trying some pace picante sauce.

I have live basil in the greenhouse, and It's one of my favorite herbs.

Got to get to the oriental market and get more fresh dill weed.
That generally goes good with fish.

Thanks for the ideas!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 21st 05, 07:30 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:05:17 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm not on the Atkins diet...
> >
> >I lost 50 lbs. following Atkins, then stalled.
> >
> >For 4 months.
> >
> >Now I am doing the PSMF diet a' la' Lyle McDonald.
> >The scale is beginning to drop again.
> >
> >Rapidly. ;-)
> >
> >This mornings meal was some top round.
> >Raw, cubed and dressed with some Bragg's liquid aminos
> >and a side of baby spinach and sliced mushrooms,
> >also raw and dressed with Bragg's and some salt
> >free lemon pepper with a squeeze of key lime juice.
> >
> >I've been mostly living on boneless skinless chicken breast
> >with fresh greens or canned spinach.
> >
> >I'm learning new ways to flavor grilled chicken breast
> >to keep it from getting TOO boring! This week it was
> >coated lightly with plain yellow mustard prior to grilling.
> >It worked quite well!
> >
> >This diet is low fat and is taking some getting used to.
> >I got spoiled by Atkins on the fat consumption issue. <G>
> >
> >Still trying to figure out a good way to fix canned tuna
> >without using mayonaisse. <sigh>
> >
> >I'm sure that switching from the bike to the stairmaster is also
> >helping.
> >
> >Cheers!
>
> It would be SO MUCH easier just to run 9 miles a day...

Not really........
--
Om.

David Cohen
October 21st 05, 07:41 PM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> Hugh Beyer > wrote:
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote>>
>> > Still trying to figure out a good way to fix canned tuna
>> > without using mayonaisse. <sigh>
>> >
>> 1/2 chopped vidalia onion, 1 chopped vine-ripe tomato, 1 tbsp balsamic
>> vinegar, 1 can tuna fish. Yum. Add basil if you like it.
>
> That sounds good...
> I have to be careful of the carbs in tomatoes tho'.

Which part of "you don't count carbs" was unclear?

> I was also thinking of trying some pace picante sauce.

Pace Picante Medium...excellent! Tuna, some fat free shredded cheddar, some
chopped up veges, and some Pace.

Or, a cup of Egg Beaters, some ff cheddar, can of tuna, and some tabasco...5
minutes in the microwave...yum!

David

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 21st 05, 08:07 PM
In article t>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> > Hugh Beyer > wrote:
> >> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote>>
> >> >
> >> 1/2 chopped vidalia onion, 1 chopped vine-ripe tomato, 1 tbsp balsamic
> >> vinegar, 1 can tuna fish. Yum. Add basil if you like it.
> >
> > That sounds good...
> > I have to be careful of the carbs in tomatoes tho'.
>
> Which part of "you don't count carbs" was unclear?

Well, I read the book cover to cover.
I got the overall impression that (high sugar low fiber) carbs were to
be avoided as much as possible.

On ANY low carb diet, tomatoes are not considered to be low net carb.
They fall in that gray area.

And I stall pretty easily. ;-(

> > I was also thinking of trying some pace picante sauce.
>
> Pace Picante Medium...excellent! Tuna, some fat free shredded cheddar, some
> chopped up veges, and some Pace.

Ah! Fat free cheese... I'd not investigated that yet.

> Or, a cup of Egg Beaters, some ff cheddar, can of tuna, and some tabasco...5
> minutes in the microwave...yum!
>
> David

Ooh. Tuna omelet.
Another good idea.
Especially with pace!

Thank you!

--
Om.

October 21st 05, 08:59 PM
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:30:50 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Not really........

Well I can eat whatever I want, To me, that's worth 90 minutes (or
less) a day.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 21st 05, 09:44 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:30:50 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Not really........
>
> Well I can eat whatever I want, To me, that's worth 90 minutes (or
> less) a day.

And I'll bet you have chicken legs. ;-)

No thanks.
--
Om.

David Cohen
October 21st 05, 10:02 PM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>> > That sounds good...
>> > I have to be careful of the carbs in tomatoes tho'.
>>
>> Which part of "you don't count carbs" was unclear?
>
> Well, I read the book cover to cover.
> I got the overall impression that (high sugar low fiber) carbs were to
> be avoided as much as possible.
>
> On ANY low carb diet, tomatoes are not considered to be low net carb.
> They fall in that gray area.

Page 33: "With the exception of peas, carrots, and corn (the starchy
vegetables which contain a lot of carbohydrates) which are off limits except
in tiny amounts, you can (and should) eat basically an unlimited amount of
vegetables."

This is not "ANY low carb diet". Don't make it more complicated than it is.
One if its great features is its simplicity. Be simple.

> And I stall pretty easily. ;-(

On a very low calorie modified fast, no, you don't.

Just do the diet, as Lyle designed it, for a month. If you don't see
impressive results, YOU CHEATED!!

David

October 22nd 05, 12:16 AM
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:44:06 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>And I'll bet you have chicken legs. ;-)

I've won every "bonnie knees" contest I've ever entered. I have
PERFECT legs! And my son is coming by tonight with a cord for my
camera, so proof is forthcoming.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 22nd 05, 03:22 AM
In article >,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> > "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> >> Which part of "you don't count carbs" was unclear?
> >
> > Well, I read the book cover to cover.
> > I got the overall impression that (high sugar low fiber) carbs were to
> > be avoided as much as possible.
> >
> > On ANY low carb diet, tomatoes are not considered to be low net carb.
> > They fall in that gray area.
>
> Page 33: "With the exception of peas, carrots, and corn (the starchy
> vegetables which contain a lot of carbohydrates) which are off limits except
> in tiny amounts, you can (and should) eat basically an unlimited amount of
> vegetables."

So would you suggest I eat potatoes since they are not specifically
mentioned? ;-) They are a veggie.

I know what a starchy veggie is, thanks!

Tomatoes are not vegetables.
They are fruit.
I don't think fruits are allowed on this diet
unless I read it wrong?

> This is not "ANY low carb diet". Don't make it more complicated than it is.
> One if its great features is its simplicity. Be simple.

I am.

> > And I stall pretty easily. ;-(
>
> On a very low calorie modified fast, no, you don't.

So far, so good! :-)

> Just do the diet, as Lyle designed it, for a month. If you don't see
> impressive results, YOU CHEATED!!

Agreed...

> David

Cheers!

--
Om.

David Cohen
October 22nd 05, 04:26 AM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>> > Well, I read the book cover to cover.
>> > I got the overall impression that (high sugar low fiber) carbs were to
>> > be avoided as much as possible.
>> >
>> > On ANY low carb diet, tomatoes are not considered to be low net carb.
>> > They fall in that gray area.
>>
>> Page 33: "With the exception of peas, carrots, and corn (the starchy
>> vegetables which contain a lot of carbohydrates) which are off limits
>> except
>> in tiny amounts, you can (and should) eat basically an unlimited amount
>> of
>> vegetables."
>
> So would you suggest I eat potatoes since they are not specifically
> mentioned? ;-) They are a veggie.
>
> I know what a starchy veggie is, thanks!
>
> Tomatoes are not vegetables.
> They are fruit.
> I don't think fruits are allowed on this diet
> unless I read it wrong?

I've changed my mind. You should not eat tomatoes. In fact, you should make
this incredibly simple diet as complex as possible, worry about, and count,
every gram of carbohydrate and fat, and thereby have a ready excuse when it
fails.

See, I can be VERY reasonable and agreeable.

I bet you could pick up a Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal, used, cheap, on Ebay
:)

>> This is not "ANY low carb diet". Don't make it more complicated than it
>> is.
>> One if its great features is its simplicity. Be simple.
>
> I am.

Oh, no, I am NOT going to use such a cheap straight line. Humor, if too
easy, isn't funny.

David

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 23rd 05, 05:45 AM
In article >,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
<snipped for brevity>
> > Tomatoes are not vegetables.
> > They are fruit.
> > I don't think fruits are allowed on this diet
> > unless I read it wrong?
>
> I've changed my mind. You should not eat tomatoes. In fact, you should make
> this incredibly simple diet as complex as possible, worry about, and count,
> every gram of carbohydrate and fat, and thereby have a ready excuse when it
> fails.
>
> See, I can be VERY reasonable and agreeable.
>
> I bet you could pick up a Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal, used, cheap, on Ebay
> :)

I ain't gonna fail...

Yeah, the diet is simple but you are anal about some things, so am I.
I will eat veggies but will avoid ones I _know_ to be high(er) in
starch/sugar.

Insulin resistance is not mentioned in Lyle's book and I have to account
for that.

You be anal your way, I'll be anal mine. ;-)

> >> This is not "ANY low carb diet". Don't make it more complicated than it
> >> is.
> >> One if its great features is its simplicity. Be simple.
> >
> > I am.
>
> Oh, no, I am NOT going to use such a cheap straight line. Humor, if too
> easy, isn't funny.
>
> David

I did that on purpose........ ;-)

Cheers!