PDA

View Full Version : Hurray!!! One Giant Step Back!!

Dick Weed
November 9th 05, 03:01 AM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False

I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...

TheMrRobottow
November 9th 05, 11:36 AM
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:01:20 -0500, "Dick Weed" > wrote:

>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
>

>I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
>fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...

Of course they critisize evolution, they haven't evolved yet. In
Kansas they marry their sisters.

WooferBearATL
November 9th 05, 02:03 PM
"TheMrRobottow" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:01:20 -0500, "Dick Weed" > wrote:
>
>>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
>>

>>I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
>>fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...
>>

> Of course they critisize evolution, they haven't evolved yet. In
> Kansas they marry their sisters.

Ahhhh, thank God that Cobb County Georgia is no longer the sole Laughing
Stock of the modern world.

MrRobottow
November 9th 05, 04:53 PM
On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:03:36 -0500, "WooferBearATL"
> wrote:

>Georgia is no longer the sole Laughing
>Stock of the modern world.

I got some good Georgia jokes too...

Slambram
November 9th 05, 10:35 PM
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:01:20 -0500, "Dick Weed" > wrote:

>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
>

>I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
>fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...

Oh come on! It's not like they banned the teaching of Evolution.
Pointing out the known holes in the Evolution theory does not
consitute the endorsement of the Creation theory.

If you can't admit the theory of Evolution is not perfect, you're no
less close-minded than the Creationist zealots...

TheGist
November 10th 05, 02:51 AM
> Oh come on! It's not like they banned the teaching of Evolution.
> Pointing out the known holes in the Evolution theory does not
> consitute the endorsement of the Creation theory.
>
> If you can't admit the theory of Evolution is not perfect, you're no
> less close-minded than the Creationist zealots...

I love how a bunch of ignorant semi-literate trash
think they now more about evolutionary biology than
scientists. *groan*

TheGist
November 10th 05, 02:53 AM
TheGist wrote:
>> Oh come on! It's not like they banned the teaching of Evolution.
>> Pointing out the known holes in the Evolution theory does not
>> consitute the endorsement of the Creation theory.
>>
>> If you can't admit the theory of Evolution is not perfect, you're no
>> less close-minded than the Creationist zealots...
>

> I love how a bunch of ignorant semi-literate trash
> think they now more about evolutionary biology than
> scientists. *groan*
Obviously, I misspelled "know".
Well, maybe not so obvious to some people here.......

WooferBearATL
November 10th 05, 01:58 PM
"MrRobottow" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:03:36 -0500, "WooferBearATL"
> > wrote:
>
>>Georgia is no longer the sole Laughing
>>Stock of the modern world.
>
> I got some good Georgia jokes too...

Ahhhh, we sit here in Atltanta and just shake our heads about some of the
crazy folk in the burbs.

MrRobottow
November 10th 05, 02:21 PM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:58:43 -0500, "WooferBearATL"
> wrote:

>Ahhhh, we sit here in Atltanta and just shake our heads about some of the
>crazy folk in the burbs.

Denial is not a riuver in Egypt dude.

WooferBearATL
November 10th 05, 02:37 PM
"MrRobottow" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:58:43 -0500, "WooferBearATL"
> > wrote:
>
>>Ahhhh, we sit here in Atltanta and just shake our heads about some of the
>>crazy folk in the burbs.
>
> Denial is not a riuver in Egypt dude.

Egypt! Now that's close to that Amoeba Adam and Evolutionary Eve were
planted, right?

MrRobotow
November 10th 05, 04:39 PM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:37:21 -0500, "WooferBearATL"
> wrote:

>Egypt! Now that's close to that Amoeba Adam and Evolutionary Eve were
>planted, right?

I think it's in New Hampshire...

zoo
November 10th 05, 10:30 PM
Dick Weed wrote:
> http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
>

> I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
> fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...

This is like saying all British people are stiff and emotionless and
like tea and crumpets.

Do they?

The Queen of Cans and Jars
November 10th 05, 10:42 PM
zoo > wrote:

> Dick Weed wrote:
>
> > I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
> > fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...
>
> This is like saying all British people are stiff and emotionless and
> like tea and crumpets.

I've never met a British person who even vaguely resembled tea or a
crumpet. But then maybe I just don't get out enough.

WillBrink
November 10th 05, 11:14 PM
In article >,
Slambram > wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:01:20 -0500, "Dick Weed" > wrote:
>
> >http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-0
> >8T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
> >

> >I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
> >fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...
> >

> Oh come on! It's not like they banned the teaching of Evolution.

They would if they could.

> Pointing out the known holes in the Evolution theory

Such as?

> does not
> consitute the endorsement of the Creation theory.

In the context of this fight, it does.

> If you can't admit the theory of Evolution is not perfect,

It's not perfect. What does that have to with God doing it? Nothing.

>you're no
> less close-minded than the Creationist zealots...

Incorrect sir.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Slambram
November 11th 05, 03:57 PM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:14:51 -0500, WillBrink
> wrote:

>> Oh come on! It's not like they banned the teaching of Evolution.
>
>They would if they could.

You're right.

>> Pointing out the known holes in the Evolution theory
>
>Such as?

There are many, they are big, and we've know about them for a while
http://science.howstuffworks.com/evolution8.htm

>> does not
>> consitute the endorsement of the Creation theory.
>
>In the context of this fight, it does.

You're probably right about that too.

>> If you can't admit the theory of Evolution is not perfect,
>
>It's not perfect. What does that have to with God doing it? Nothing.

Sure, and i'm not saying that, but science isn't science if you can't
admit there are things we can't explain. Ask anybody who's gone to
med school.

>>you're no
>> less close-minded than the Creationist zealots...
>
>Incorrect sir.

WillBrink
November 11th 05, 06:27 PM
In article >,
Slambram > wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:14:51 -0500, WillBrink
> > wrote:

> >It's not perfect. What does that have to with God doing it? Nothing.
>
> Sure, and i'm not saying that, but science isn't science if you can't
> admit there are things we can't explain.

There are many things we can't explain (yet), which has zero to do with
whether or not some all knowing being had a hand in it. "I don't know
how that works" does not = God did it.

> Ask anybody who's gone to
> med school.

One does not need to go to med school for such knowledge.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

JMW
November 11th 05, 08:06 PM
DZ > wrote:
>Slambram > wrote:
>>>
>>>It's not perfect. What does that have to with God doing it? Nothing.
>>
>> Sure, and i'm not saying that, but science isn't science if you
>> can't admit there are things we can't explain.
>
>This is completely backwards - if you want to see real problems that
>evolution is dealing with, look for publications in journals like
>Evolution, or Genetics, by people who actually study evolution.
>
>You'll find that ID/creationists don't produce any such publications.
>They're not even aware of things that evolution can or can't
>explain. They write pseudoscience books instead, because not only they
>can't pass peer review, they aren't even trying to submit
>anything. There was a paper in Science that found that there aren't
>any submissions.

None of this is surprising. It's a technique that is *de rigueur* in
my field. The are not trying to prove, or even conclusively disprove,
anything. They are merely attempting to create reasonable doubt.

WillBrink
November 11th 05, 09:36 PM
In article >,
DZ > wrote:

> They're not even aware of things that evolution can or can't
> explain. They write pseudoscience books instead, because not only they
> can't pass peer review, they aren't even trying to submit
> anything. There was a paper in Science that found that there aren't
> any submissions.

Intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of ID and religion in general.
How could it be any other way? To be intellectually honest on the topic
is to dismiss ID for the joke it is. Thus, they are stuck
misrepresenting science in general, and evolution specifically. If
proponents of ID had any interest in intellectual honesty over the
topic, they would (at the very least) be forced to admit that what ever
intelligence is/was behind it, itıs just as likely to be a non Christian
God (e.g., Allah, Shiva, etc) or alien intelligence. In fact, based on
available evidence, the latter is most likely! :-)

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

bc
November 12th 05, 01:34 AM
Dick Weed wrote:
> http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
>

> I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
> fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...

More Kansas enlightened behavior:
http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20051111/NEWS/111110082

Now they are willing to bash a veteran's memorial to spread anti-gay
views and their hatred of America in general. These people should be
dropped into the middle of Iraq if they hate it here so much.

- bc

David Cohen
November 12th 05, 01:37 AM
"DZ" > wrote
> WillBrink wrote:
>> DZ wrote:
>>> They're not even aware of things that evolution can or can't
>>> explain. They write pseudoscience books instead, because not only they
>>> can't pass peer review, they aren't even trying to submit
>>> anything. There was a paper in Science that found that there aren't
>>> any submissions.
>>
>> Intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of ID and religion in
>> general.
>
> I have nothing against religion. Some people need it for whatever
> reason and that is none of my business.

I have great respect for anybody who worships a Jew as their Savior.

David

Dally
November 12th 05, 01:41 AM
David Cohen wrote:

> "DZ" > wrote
>
>>WillBrink wrote:

>>>Intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of ID and religion in
>>>general.
>>
>>I have nothing against religion. Some people need it for whatever
>>reason and that is none of my business.
>

> I have great respect for anybody who worships a Jew as their Savior.

I can understand that if they mean YOU, but one with a God complex? Ewwww.

Dally

JMW
November 12th 05, 03:48 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"DZ" > wrote
>> WillBrink wrote:
>>>
>>> Intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of ID and religion in
>>> general.
>>
>> I have nothing against religion. Some people need it for whatever
>> reason and that is none of my business.
>
>I have great respect for anybody who worships a Jew as their Savior.

You should get an official Buddy Christ for your dashboard:

http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/files/images_backup/t_82171.jpg

Maybe a big one for your living room, too:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/phoenixburning/bigguy.jpg

JMW
November 12th 05, 03:53 AM
"bc" > wrote:

>Dick Weed wrote:
>> http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-11-08T224916Z_01_SCH882121_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-EVOLUTION-KANSAS.xml&archived=False
>>

>> I'm happy I'm not american like those stupid ****s in kansas. Your
>> fundamentalism is only exceeded by your...
>
>More Kansas enlightened behavior:
>http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20051111/NEWS/111110082
>
>Now they are willing to bash a veteran's memorial to spread anti-gay
>views and their hatred of America in general. These people should be
>dropped into the middle of Iraq if they hate it here so much.

I bet they'll get thirsty picketing all day. Somebody ought to whip
up a batch of purple KoolAid for them.

WillBrink
November 12th 05, 02:55 PM
In article >,
DZ > wrote:

> WillBrink wrote:
> > DZ wrote:
> >> They're not even aware of things that evolution can or can't
> >> explain. They write pseudoscience books instead, because not only they
> >> can't pass peer review, they aren't even trying to submit
> >> anything. There was a paper in Science that found that there aren't
> >> any submissions.
> >
> > Intellectual dishonesty is the hallmark of ID and religion in
> > general.
>
> I have nothing against religion.

As a concept, I don't either.

> Some people need it for whatever
> reason and that is none of my business. Perhaps I'm missing out that
> spiritual something they have. Even billions of years from now science
> would still only be able to explain approximately 0% of the laws of
> nature.

Heh?

> That would leave plenty of room for God and I'm convinced that
> there is some internal need for many people to be religios - I see
> nothing wrong with that. I'm specifically against dishonest attempts
> to portray ID/creationism as science.

'Cause it's not.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

WillBrink
November 12th 05, 03:22 PM
That great Christian and man of God, Pat Robertson exposes the Christian
rightıs true agenda with ID, that itıs simply creationism presented as
pseudo science designed to put doubt about evolution into the minds of
the ignorant masses. If ID is not about religion (as ID proponents
claim) then how could God be voted out of this town? ID is all about
religion, and this walking pile of dung Robertson exposes the agenda by
threatening the town of Dover with the wrath of God. PitifulŠ

Robertson warns Pennsylvania voters of God's wrath

Eight 'intelligent design' school board members lost election

Thursday, November 10, 2005; Posted: 5:27 p.m. EST (22:27 GMT)

The eight members of the school board are depicted on a billboard on
Election Day in Dover, Pennsylvania.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson
told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by
voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent
design" and warned them Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck.

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate and founder of the
influential Christian Broadcasting Network and Christian Coalition, has
made similar apocalyptic warnings and provocative statements before.

Last summer, he hit the headlines by calling for the assassination of
leftist Venezuelan Present Hugo Chavez, one of President George W.
Bush's most vocal international critics.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster
in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city,"
Robertson said on his daily television show broadcast from Virginia,
"The 700 Club."

"And don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they
begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just
voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His
help because he might not be there," he said.

The 700 Club claims a daily audience of around one million. It is also
broadcast around the world translated into more than 70 languages.

In voting on Tuesday, eight Dover, Pennsylvania, school board members up
for re-election lost their seats after trying to introduce a statement
on "intelligent design" to high school biology students.

Adherents of intelligent design argue that certain forms in nature are
too complex to have evolved through natural selection and must have been
created by a "designer." Opponents say it is the latest attempt by
conservatives to introduce religion into the school science curriculum.

The Dover case sparked a trial in federal court that gained nationwide
attention after the school board was sued by parents backed by the
American Civil Liberties Union. The board ordered schools to read
students a short statement in biology classes informing them that the
theory of evolution is not established fact and that gaps exist in it.

The statement mentioned intelligent design as an alternate theory and
recommended students read a book that explained the theory further. A
decision in the case is expected before the end of the year.

In 1998, Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Florida that it risked
hurricanes, earthquakes and terrorist bombs after it allowed homosexual
organizations to put up rainbow flags in support of sexual diversity.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

WooferBearATL
November 12th 05, 05:21 PM
"WillBrink" > wrote in message
> [...]
> conservatives to introduce religion into the school science curriculum.
>
> The Dover case sparked a trial in federal court that gained nationwide
> attention after the school board was sued by parents backed by the
> American Civil Liberties Union. The board ordered schools to read
> students a short statement in biology classes informing them that the
> theory of evolution is not established fact and that gaps exist in it.
>
> The statement mentioned intelligent design as an alternate theory and
> recommended students read a book that explained the theory further. A
> decision in the case is expected before the end of the year.
>
> In 1998, Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Florida that it risked
> hurricanes, earthquakes and terrorist bombs after it allowed homosexual
> organizations to put up rainbow flags in support of sexual diversity.

We all know Robertson is a nut. He just keeps proving it to all the non
believers.

David Cohen
November 12th 05, 06:01 PM
"JMW" > wrote in message
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>>> I have nothing against religion. Some people need it for whatever
>>> reason and that is none of my business.
>>
>>I have great respect for anybody who worships a Jew as their Savior.
>
> You should get an official Buddy Christ for your dashboard:
>
> http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/files/images_backup/t_82171.jpg

Oh, I have GOT to get one of these!

> Maybe a big one for your living room, too:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/phoenixburning/bigguy.jpg

Too big. Scary. Like that Burger King guy.

David

JMW
November 12th 05, 08:57 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"JMW" > wrote:
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>>"DZ" > wrote

>>>I have great respect for anybody who worships a Jew as their Savior.
>>
>> You should get an official Buddy Christ for your dashboard:
>>
>> http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/files/images_backup/t_82171.jpg
>
>Oh, I have GOT to get one of these!

They're abundant on eBay. They even have a bobblehead version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BUDDY-CHRIST-BOBBLE-HEAD-FIGURE-DOGMA-KEVIN-SMITH_W0QQitemZ6577560585QQcategoryZ3983QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
(http://tinyurl.com/8mqo9)

>> Maybe a big one for your living room, too:
>>
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/phoenixburning/bigguy.jpg
>
>Too big. Scary. Like that Burger King guy.

No ****! Those commercials are like something out of a horror flick.

MrRobottow
November 12th 05, 11:13 PM
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:57:43 -0500, JMW > wrote:

>No ****! Those commercials are like something out of a horror flick.

Funny as hell though! I like the one where he's in bed giving the guy
his "whopper", and accidently touches his leg. I'm sure you guys can
relate to having your legs touched by males in bed.

WillBrink
November 13th 05, 02:38 PM
In article >,
DZ > wrote:

> WillBrink > wrote:
> > DZ wrote:
> >> Some people need it for whatever reason and that is none of my
> >> business. Perhaps I'm missing out that spiritual something they
> >> have. Even billions of years from now science would still only be
> >> able to explain approximately 0% of the laws of nature.
> >
> > Heh?
>
> Is the number of things for science to understand finite? It only gets
> "Curiouser and curiouser!" and every new discovery only uncovers a new
> abyss of unknown with a brand new collection of questions. This leads
> to a paradox. Although science helps us to understand more things in
> total, the proportion of things we understand is only getting smaller.
>
> Highly cited papers are those that make important discoveries, but the
> real reason they're cited is that they succeed in uncovering all the
> new problems for others to work on.

Makes sense, but I don't quite see how it = we "able to explain
approximately 0% of the laws of nature."

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

WillBrink
November 13th 05, 11:11 PM
In article >,
DZ > wrote:

> WillBrink > wrote:
> > DZ wrote:

> >> Is the number of things for science to understand finite? It only gets
> >> "Curiouser and curiouser!" and every new discovery only uncovers a new
> >> abyss of unknown with a brand new collection of questions. This leads
> >> to a paradox. Although science helps us to understand more things in
> >> total, the proportion of things we understand is only getting smaller.
> >>
> >> Highly cited papers are those that make important discoveries, but the
> >> real reason they're cited is that they succeed in uncovering all the
> >> new problems for others to work on.
> >
> > Makes sense, but I don't quite see how it = we "able to explain
> > approximately 0% of the laws of nature."
>
> I can simply say that if you agree that the number of things to
> understand is infinite, then the proportion is zero.

Got it now.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Seth Breidbart
November 15th 05, 10:31 PM
In article >,
DZ > wrote:

>I can simply say that if you agree that the number of things to
>understand is infinite, then the proportion is zero.

So far, so good.

> But if you also
>agree with the statement that every new discovery uncovers a bunch of
>new questions then it follows that the progress leads to the increased
>amount of what we realize as unknown.

Increased amount, yes.

> The total number of answers
>expands with time, but the proportion of answered questions goes to
>zero.

Nope. Consider: We start with 100 unanswered questions. Every time
we answer a question, it generates 10 new unanswered questions. Then
as we answer more and more questions, the proportion of answered
questions approaches 10% (from below). Proof: After we've answered X
questions, the total number of questions is 100 + 10*X.

Seth
--
Wow! This math stuff works. -- Tom Morley