PDA

View Full Version : Weight gaining for bodybuilding

Ed Burnett
October 30th 03, 07:48 PM
Hello, I'm 24 years old, 6'6" tall and about 185-190 pounds. I can build
muscle fairly fast, but I'm pretty thin for my size and have never been
satisfied or comfortable with my weight. I 'feel' skinny. I'd love to just
fill out a bit, cover up some of these bones, then I would feel like my
weight training was going somewhere. For years I have been trying to gain
weight with no luck. I have never been able to break 200 pounds, despite
efforts in using weight gainer shakes etc... In your experience, do the
weight gainers work? How long do I need to use them to see any effect? I've
used them 3-5 times per week for about 3 or 4 months at a time with very
little or no noticable effect on my weight. Usually I give up for a while in
frustration, also because the shake mixes are so expensive and sometimes I
just can't afford to keep it going. No matter how much I eat or how often I
still can't put on any pounds. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for
me to gain weight?

Thanks,
Ed

Wayne S. Hill
October 31st 03, 12:18 AM
Ed Burnett wrote:

> Hello, I'm 24 years old, 6'6" tall and about 185-190 pounds.
> I can build muscle fairly fast, but I'm pretty thin for my
> size and have never been satisfied or comfortable with my
> weight. I 'feel' skinny. I'd love to just fill out a bit,
> cover up some of these bones, then I would feel like my
> weight training was going somewhere. For years I have been
> trying to gain weight with no luck. I have never been able
> to break 200 pounds, despite efforts in using weight gainer
> shakes etc... In your experience, do the weight gainers
> work? How long do I need to use them to see any effect? I've
> used them 3-5 times per week for about 3 or 4 months at a
> time with very little or no noticable effect on my weight.

Using them 3-5 times a week isn't enough to be sure you're
increasing your caloric intake. It would be very easy to
chintz on calories at other times, making up the difference.

> Usually I give up for a while in frustration, also because
> the shake mixes are so expensive and sometimes I just can't
> afford to keep it going. No matter how much I eat or how
> often I still can't put on any pounds. Does anyone have any
> tips or suggestions for me to gain weight?

If I were you, I'd try the see food diet (when you see food,
eat it). Seriously, take your current diet and eat more every
day. For example, add a protein shake with milk and ice cream
in the evening. This isn't very expensive, with 5 lbs of whey
protein costing something like $25. If you already eat
dessert in the evening, eat the dessert, wait a bit, and then
have the shake.

Mangia.

--
-Wayne

Theresa
October 31st 03, 02:51 PM
Ed Burnett wrote:
> Hello, I'm 24 years old, 6'6" tall and about 185-190 pounds. I can
> build muscle fairly fast, but I'm pretty thin for my size and have
> never been satisfied or comfortable with my weight. I 'feel' skinny.
> I'd love to just fill out a bit, cover up some of these bones, then I
> would feel like my weight training was going somewhere. For years I
> have been trying to gain weight with no luck. I have never been able
> to break 200 pounds, despite efforts in using weight gainer shakes
> etc...

So you can build muscle fairly fast but you can't gain weight. Uh....

In your experience, do the weight gainers work? How long do I
> need to use them to see any effect? I've used them 3-5 times per week
> for about 3 or 4 months at a time with very little or no noticeable
> effect on my weight. Usually I give up for a while in frustration,
> also because the shake mixes are so expensive and sometimes I just
> can't afford to keep it going. No matter how much I eat or how often
> I still can't put on any pounds. Does anyone have any tips or
> suggestions for me to gain weight?

Eat progressively: log your intake, add a couple of hundred daily calories
once a week until the needle on the scale starts moving.

John Mostanovski
November 1st 03, 10:59 AM
"Theresa" > wrote in message
> Ed Burnett wrote:
> > Hello, I'm 24 years old, 6'6" tall and about 185-190 pounds. I can
> > build muscle fairly fast, but I'm pretty thin for my size and have
> > never been satisfied or comfortable with my weight. I 'feel' skinny.
> > I'd love to just fill out a bit, cover up some of these bones, then I
> > would feel like my weight training was going somewhere. For years I
> > have been trying to gain weight with no luck. I have never been able
> > to break 200 pounds, despite efforts in using weight gainer shakes
> > etc...
>
> So you can build muscle fairly fast but you can't gain weight. Uh....
>
> In your experience, do the weight gainers work? How long do I
> > need to use them to see any effect? I've used them 3-5 times per week
> > for about 3 or 4 months at a time with very little or no noticeable
> > effect on my weight. Usually I give up for a while in frustration,
> > also because the shake mixes are so expensive and sometimes I just
> > can't afford to keep it going. No matter how much I eat or how often
> > I still can't put on any pounds. Does anyone have any tips or
> > suggestions for me to gain weight?
>
> Eat progressively: log your intake, add a couple of hundred daily calories
> once a week until the needle on the scale starts moving.

I agree with Theresa. I don't believe that 'not matter how much you eat or
how often' that you can't gain weight. That means you're not eating enough,
and/or overtraining.

Get onto something like www.fitday.com, and log all your calories. Eat the
same things everything, it makes it a helluva lot easier to keep track of
calories.