PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility

The Crow
January 16th 06, 12:36 PM
I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted to find some
good information on stretches and the like, so that I could establish a
better, regular stretching routine.

Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide information that's
on a good stretching routine for weight training?

I've had a good google, but single source information of quality seems hard
to come by.

Thanks.

locker
January 16th 06, 12:58 PM
The Crow wrote:
> I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted
> find some good information on stretches and the like, so that
> could establish a better, regular stretching routine.
>
> Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide
information
> that's on a good stretching routine for weight training?
>
> I've had a good google, but single source information of
quality
> seems hard to come by.
>
> Thanks.

Click on a body part exercise on the right, then on a stretch on
the right:
http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

locker

David
January 16th 06, 01:08 PM
"locker" > wrote in message
> The Crow wrote:
>> I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted
>> find some good information on stretches and the like, so that
>> could establish a better, regular stretching routine.
>>
>> Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide
> information
>> that's on a good stretching routine for weight training?
>>
>> I've had a good google, but single source information of
> quality
>> seems hard to come by.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Click on a body part exercise on the right, then on a stretch on
> the right:
> http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This is an amazing link, thanks

The Crow
January 16th 06, 01:39 PM
Thanks.

Willow
January 16th 06, 04:06 PM
That is very cool!

Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into yoga.

Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained by
expanding one's fitness "areas".

I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights.. *sigh*

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"locker" > wrote in message
> The Crow wrote:
> > I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted
> > find some good information on stretches and the like, so that
> > could establish a better, regular stretching routine.
> >
> > Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide
> information
> > that's on a good stretching routine for weight training?
> >
> > I've had a good google, but single source information of
> quality
> > seems hard to come by.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Click on a body part exercise on the right, then on a stretch on
> the right:
> http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
>

> locker

John
January 16th 06, 04:22 PM
"Willow" > wrote in message
om...
> That is very cool!
>
> Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
> flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
> training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into yoga.
>
> Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
> develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
> philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained by
> expanding one's fitness "areas".
>
> I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights..
*sigh*

I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs proving
me otherwise.

David
January 16th 06, 04:26 PM
"John" > wrote in message
> "Willow" > wrote in message
> om...
>> That is very cool!
>>
>> Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
>> flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
>> training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into yoga.
>>
>> Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
>> develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
>> philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained by
>> expanding one's fitness "areas".
>>
>> I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights..
> *sigh*
>
> I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs proving
> me otherwise.

I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your tits??)

John
January 16th 06, 04:27 PM
"David" > wrote in message

> "John" > wrote in message
> > "Willow" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> That is very cool!
> >>
> >> Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
> >> flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
> >> training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into
yoga.

> >> Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
> >> develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
> >> philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained
by
> >> expanding one's fitness "areas".
> >>
> >> I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights..
> > *sigh*
> >
> > I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs
proving
> > me otherwise.
> >
> I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
> jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your tits??)

LOL. This is why I return to this NG.

David
January 16th 06, 04:34 PM
"John" > wrote in message
> "David" > wrote in message
>>
>> "John" > wrote in message
>> > "Willow" > wrote in message
>> > om...

> yoga.

> by

>> > *sigh*
>> >
>> > I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs
> proving
>> > me otherwise.
>> >
>> I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
>> jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your tits??)
>
> LOL. This is why I return to this NG.

She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)

John
January 16th 06, 04:37 PM
"David" > wrote in message
u...

> "John" > wrote in message

> > yoga.

> > by

> > proving
> >> >
> >> I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need
naked
> >> jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your
tits??)

> > LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
> >

> She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)

If she really wanted to fit in, she'd do it. Otherwise, we'll end up
treating her like Billdo.

David Cohen
January 16th 06, 04:38 PM
"David" > wrote
> "John" > wrote
>> "David" > wrote
>>> "John" > wrote

>> yoga.

>> by

>> proving
>>> >
>>> I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
>>> jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your
>>> tits??)
>>
>> LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
>>
> She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)

You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.

January 16th 06, 04:39 PM
"John" > wrote in message
> "David" > wrote in message
> u...

> muscle
>> > yoga.

> the
> gained
>> > by

>> > proving

> naked
> tits??)
>> >
>> > LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
>> >

>> She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
>
> If she really wanted to fit in, she'd do it. Otherwise, we'll end up
> treating her like Billdo.

Absolutely - she wants to be popular she needs to put out. (Reminds me of
the most popular girl in grade 9 even though she had a speech impediment.
(she couldn't say 'no')

JRH
January 16th 06, 04:41 PM
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:26:23 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>"John" > wrote in message
>> "Willow" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> That is very cool!
>>>
>>> Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
>>> flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
>>> training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into yoga.
>>>
>>> Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
>>> develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
>>> philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained by
>>> expanding one's fitness "areas".
>>>
>>> I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights..
>> *sigh*
>>
>> I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs proving
>> me otherwise.
>>
>I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
>jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your tits??)

Now that's funny! ;o)

David
January 16th 06, 04:42 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "David" > wrote
>> "John" > wrote
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> yoga.

>>> by

>>> proving

>>> LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
>>>
>> She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
>
> You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.

I have no problem with that. The ball's in her court now. Let's see what
she's made of (hopefully)

David
January 16th 06, 04:44 PM
"JRH" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:26:23 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:
>

>>"John" > wrote in message
>>> "Willow" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> *sigh*
>>>
>>> I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs
>>> proving
>>> me otherwise.
>>>
>>I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
>>jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your tits??)
>>

> Now that's funny! ;o)

See - now you are enabling the enabler!

John
January 16th 06, 04:52 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "David" > wrote
> > "John" > wrote
> >> "David" > wrote

> >> yoga.

> >> by

> >> proving

> >> LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
> >>
> > She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
>
> You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.

I'm game. My wiener my object to it, though. He's been a bad boy as of
lately. It seems that whenever the wife kisses him, he spits at her.

David
January 16th 06, 04:58 PM
"John" > wrote in message
> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>>
>> "David" > wrote
>> > "John" > wrote

> muscle

> way
> the

> weights..

> naked

>> > She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
>>
>> You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.
>
> I'm game. My wiener my object to it, though. He's been a bad boy as of
> lately. It seems that whenever the wife kisses him, he spits at her.

Sounds to me like she needs to give him a good spanking

JRH
January 16th 06, 05:11 PM
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:44:15 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>"JRH" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:26:23 +1000, "David" >
>> wrote:

>>>I'm embarrassed by this blockhead, Willow. We certainly don't need naked
>>>jpegs. Please accept my apology! (maybe you can just show us your tits??)
>>>

>> Now that's funny! ;o)
>
>See - now you are enabling the enabler!

But I am entitled to, given that I have been appointed by the
"Trollmeister" as a fully-fledged "troll".

See:
http://www.fitnwell.net/mfw_troll_filter_faq.htm

JMW
January 16th 06, 05:13 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"David" > wrote
>> "John" > wrote
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
>>>
>> She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
>
>You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.

I've already seen her pics. She looks pretty good in the
belly-dancing pic, but Cohen would probably like the ones with her and
her dog. You dimwits just need to learn where to look.

And I don't need to post mine in return because they've been up and
available for years.

David
January 16th 06, 05:16 PM
"JRH" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:44:15 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:
>

>>"JRH" > wrote in message

>>> Now that's funny! ;o)
>>
>>See - now you are enabling the enabler!
>>

> But I am entitled to, given that I have been appointed by the

That's like pulling rank, right?

JRH
January 16th 06, 05:23 PM
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:16:39 GMT, "David" >
wrote:

>"JRH" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:44:15 +1000, "David" >
>> wrote:

>>>See - now you are enabling the enabler!
>>>

>> But I am entitled to, given that I have been appointed by the
>
>That's like pulling rank, right?

Yep; at ease soldier; if ya gottem - smokem!

Steve Freides
January 16th 06, 05:57 PM
"The Crow" > wrote in message
> I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted to find
> some good information on stretches and the like, so that I could
> establish a better, regular stretching routine.
>
> Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide information
> that's on a good stretching routine for weight training?
>
> I've had a good google, but single source information of quality seems
> hard to come by.

"Relax Into Stretch" by Pavel - everything you need to know, nothing you
don't:
http://www.kbnj.com/ris.htm

"Super Joints" by Pavel - focus on joint health, many similar movements,
the two make a great pair:
http://www.kbnj.com/sj.htm

My morning warmup is based on SJ, and my cooldown and/or my evening
stretching session based on RIS.

Picture of my in July, 2005, at "Unlock" weekend workshop, getting a
little "friendly persuasion" from Pavel on my side split.

http://www.kbnj.com/SteveUnlockSplit.jpg

There are a couple of recent threads on flexibility on DragonDoor but
their site seems to be down at the moment - regular link is
http://www.forum.dragondoor.com

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
January 16th 06, 06:09 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "The Crow" > wrote in message
>> I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted to
>> find some good information on stretches and the like, so that I could
>> establish a better, regular stretching routine.
>>
>> Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide information
>> that's on a good stretching routine for weight training?
>>
>> I've had a good google, but single source information of quality
>> seems hard to come by.
>
> "Relax Into Stretch" by Pavel - everything you need to know, nothing
> you don't:
> http://www.kbnj.com/ris.htm
>

> "Super Joints" by Pavel - focus on joint health, many similar
> movements, the two make a great pair:
> http://www.kbnj.com/sj.htm
>
> My morning warmup is based on SJ, and my cooldown and/or my evening
> stretching session based on RIS.
>

> Picture of my in July, 2005, at "Unlock" weekend workshop, getting a
> little "friendly persuasion" from Pavel on my side split.
>
> http://www.kbnj.com/SteveUnlockSplit.jpg
>
> There are a couple of recent threads on flexibility on DragonDoor but
> their site seems to be down at the moment - regular link is
> http://www.forum.dragondoor.com

Here's a thread for you - site is up now. Question about Pavel's method
versus Kurz and others:
http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/380865

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

TBR
January 16th 06, 07:41 PM
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:06:49 GMT, "Willow"
> wrote:

>Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
>flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
>training.. not a good idea)

I want you Willow...

TBR
January 16th 06, 07:42 PM
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:22:33 GMT, "John"
> wrote:

>I don't believe you're that flexible. You need to post naked jpegs proving
>me otherwise.

i got them, I'll forward them on to you.

TBR
January 16th 06, 07:45 PM
wrote:

>That's like pulling rank, right?

It's pulling something ok...

January 16th 06, 11:08 PM
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:06:49 GMT, "Willow"
> wrote:

>That is very cool!
>
>Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
>flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
>training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into yoga.
>
>Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
>develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
>philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained by
>expanding one's fitness "areas".
>
>I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights.. *sigh*

Any comments on these articles, Willow?
Acquiring flexibility has become a "must do" thing for me.

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/flexo.html

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/bryceomet.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/bridgeandwalkover.htm

Here's a tip from me. Bookmark these pages -

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/

http://b_movie.tripod.com/in_shape.htm

Willow
January 17th 06, 06:41 AM
Oh my.. of such stuff nightmares are made..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "David" > wrote
> > "John" > wrote
> >> "David" > wrote

> >> yoga.

> >> by

> >> proving

> >> LOL. This is why I return to this NG.
> >>
> > She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
>
> You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.
>
> David

Willow
January 17th 06, 06:42 AM
Don't you go a oggle my dog !!!

ain't she the cutest?

--

"JMW" > wrote in message
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >"David" > wrote
> >> "John" > wrote

> >> She seems like a good sport . . . (worth taking a shot)
> >
> >You, me, and John will show her ours, in return, just to be fair.
>
> I've already seen her pics. She looks pretty good in the
> belly-dancing pic, but Cohen would probably like the ones with her and
> her dog. You dimwits just need to learn where to look.
>
> And I don't need to post mine in return because they've been up and
> available for years.

Willow
January 17th 06, 06:43 AM
Keep dreaming sweety

--

"TBR" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:06:49 GMT, "Willow"
> > wrote:
>
> >Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
> >flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
> >training.. not a good idea)
>
> I want you Willow...

Willow
January 17th 06, 06:55 AM
I think that if you're really serious about acquiring flexibility, you
should get help. It looks very easy and safe but it is not. If you don't
know what you're doing you can very easily hurt yourself, your back being
the first thing that comes to mind.

On the other hand, if you look at those exercise (I didn't have time to look
them all up to be honest) some are easy and can be done alone or even better
with a buddy (if only to pick you up if you get stuck ;op), if you're
careful. The main thing is that you want to warm up before you stretch and
make sure that you're stretching just shy of your limit (not at maximum
stretch) and holding.

I never worked flexibility with weights, one because I'm just plain not
strong enough, and two, if you overdo it there's some serious damage
possibilities there. I'd be wary of any move that is not fully controlled,
you need to make sure that you have a safe way back to neutral.

Those links look interesting. Start small and easy, of even better take a
few classes or a few session with a GOOD personal trainer (rare around here
!!!)

More than anything, as with everything else, be patient and consistent. If
you are very strong, it'll take longer to get flexible. As an adult there'll
be limits that you might not be able to pass. It's a good thing, having a
shoulder that jumps out of its socket has never done me any good.. :o/

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:06:49 GMT, "Willow"
> > wrote:
>
> >That is very cool!
> >
> >Flexibility has never been a problem for me, quite the contrary I'm too
> >flexible (used to train as a contorsionist, all flexibility no muscle
> >training.. not a good idea) but I might suggest that you look into yoga.
> >
> >Ok Yoga isn't manly or testoterone-ly revealing, but it's a good way to
> >develop flexibility and "inner core strenght". whether you go for the
> >philosophy that comes with it or not, I think there a lot to be gained by
> >expanding one's fitness "areas".
> >
> >I'll teach you yoga and you help me be less of a wimp with weights..
*sigh*

> Any comments on these articles, Willow?
> Acquiring flexibility has become a "must do" thing for me.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/flexo.html
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/bryceomet.htm
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/bridgeandwalkover.htm
>
> Here's a tip from me. Bookmark these pages -
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/
>
> http://b_movie.tripod.com/in_shape.htm

David Cohen
January 17th 06, 07:36 AM
"Willow" > wrote
> Don't you go a oggle my dog !!!
>
> ain't she the cutest?

Please provide a link to a website with photos of the dog. Thank you.

By the way, this is NON top posting. See, putting stuff down here. We, the
ruling star chamber of the International Zionist Cabal prefer it this way.

David

The Crow
January 17th 06, 07:50 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> "The Crow" > wrote in message
>>> I'm worried my flexibility isn't what it should be, and wanted to find
>>> some good information on stretches and the like, so that I could
>>> establish a better, regular stretching routine.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know any good sites or sources that provide information
>>> that's on a good stretching routine for weight training?
>>>
>>> I've had a good google, but single source information of quality seems
>>> hard to come by.
>>
>> "Relax Into Stretch" by Pavel - everything you need to know, nothing you
>> don't:
>> http://www.kbnj.com/ris.htm
>>

>> "Super Joints" by Pavel - focus on joint health, many similar movements,
>> the two make a great pair:
>> http://www.kbnj.com/sj.htm
>>
>> My morning warmup is based on SJ, and my cooldown and/or my evening
>> stretching session based on RIS.
>>

>> Picture of my in July, 2005, at "Unlock" weekend workshop, getting a
>> little "friendly persuasion" from Pavel on my side split.
>>
>> http://www.kbnj.com/SteveUnlockSplit.jpg
>>
>> There are a couple of recent threads on flexibility on DragonDoor but
>> their site seems to be down at the moment - regular link is
>> http://www.forum.dragondoor.com
>
> Here's a thread for you - site is up now. Question about Pavel's method
> versus Kurz and others:
> http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/380865
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Thanks.

JMW
January 17th 06, 12:39 PM
"Willow" > wrote:

>Don't you go a oggle my dog !!!
>
>ain't she the cutest?

Hey, this is a dog newsgroup, dincha know?

TBR
January 17th 06, 12:44 PM
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:41:16 GMT, "Willow"
> wrote:

>Oh my.. of such stuff nightmares are made..

Oh c'mon now, you can't be that ugly.

/ ~ .\
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

TBR
January 17th 06, 12:45 PM
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:42:11 GMT, "Willow"
> wrote:

>Don't you go a oggle my dog !!!
>
>ain't she the cutest?

Don't leave him alone with her, or he'll do more than "oogle" her.

/ ~ .\
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

TBR
January 17th 06, 12:46 PM
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:43:05 GMT, "Willow"
> wrote:

>Keep dreaming sweety

You want me too, so why don't we just "do it"?

/ ~ .\
|\__/
| |
| . |
| `.` |
__| `` | `.` |/~~\
/ | | | `` |/~~\
\ ` . . | |
\ . . ` /
\ . . /
\ . /
| . |
| |
| |

Steve Freides
January 17th 06, 02:45 PM
"Willow" > wrote in message
. com...
>I think that if you're really serious about acquiring flexibility, you
> should get help. It looks very easy and safe but it is not. If you
> don't
> know what you're doing you can very easily hurt yourself, your back
> being
> the first thing that comes to mind.

-snip-

Bryce knows his stuff and has both the strength and the flexibility to
back what he says. He is a trainer who works with a variety of people
so he's had a chance to try what he's suggesting on more than just
himself.

The question really is about finding what will work for you. I bought
Pavel's first book on joint health and flexibility, entitled "Beyond
Stretching", and while the information in it was complete, somehow I
just didn't get it and I didn't really make any progress. The preface
to "Relax Into Stretch", if I remember it right, was interesting - it
basically said that in the time since the earlier book came out, he'd
been getting feedback from people and teaching workshops, and from that
he threw out what didn't seem to help people, changed the way he
presented some things, etc., all in the interest of providing a more
effective program. Pavel's materials are about what works - although
there's some theory explained, it's mostly "do this, then do that - and
if you can't do exercise #2 without such and such form break, stop and

Safety is a relative thing here - I don't think anyone worked hard at
becoming more flexible without at least a few minor strains along the
way, no different than I don't think anyone became very strong without
suffering an injury or two in the process. But I do _not_ think working
on flexibility should be considered risky business, particularly for
one's back - if it was, I sure wouldn't be doing it with my history of a
bad back.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Willow
January 18th 06, 05:26 AM
I guess it depends on how far you take flexibility. As a trained
contorsionist I've seen several injuries that went beyond the "normal
strains" of just training oneself. My shoulder being a good exemple since it
never really recovered..

I'm no trainer, and certainly no expert, just trying to give what little
help I can.

My point is just start slow and easy until you know what you're doing. You
don't start building muscles by doing bicepts curls with 250 lbs, and trying
to do so would be dangerous (though it wouldn't be dangerous for me since it
would never move ;op ).. same thing goes with flexibility. If you're very
stiff you don't want to do a straight drop in a back bend on the first work
out.

I saw a trainer ask a customer (who happened to be a member of mine) to just
do a back bend over a bench on the first try without checking how flexible
the person was or anything.. 2 weeks later he was still hurting..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Willow" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >I think that if you're really serious about acquiring flexibility, you
> > should get help. It looks very easy and safe but it is not. If you
> > don't
> > know what you're doing you can very easily hurt yourself, your back
> > being
> > the first thing that comes to mind.
>
> -snip-
>
> Bryce knows his stuff and has both the strength and the flexibility to
> back what he says. He is a trainer who works with a variety of people
> so he's had a chance to try what he's suggesting on more than just
> himself.
>
> The question really is about finding what will work for you. I bought
> Pavel's first book on joint health and flexibility, entitled "Beyond
> Stretching", and while the information in it was complete, somehow I
> just didn't get it and I didn't really make any progress. The preface
> to "Relax Into Stretch", if I remember it right, was interesting - it
> basically said that in the time since the earlier book came out, he'd
> been getting feedback from people and teaching workshops, and from that
> he threw out what didn't seem to help people, changed the way he
> presented some things, etc., all in the interest of providing a more
> effective program. Pavel's materials are about what works - although
> there's some theory explained, it's mostly "do this, then do that - and
> if you can't do exercise #2 without such and such form break, stop and
>
> Safety is a relative thing here - I don't think anyone worked hard at
> becoming more flexible without at least a few minor strains along the
> way, no different than I don't think anyone became very strong without
> suffering an injury or two in the process. But I do _not_ think working
> on flexibility should be considered risky business, particularly for
> one's back - if it was, I sure wouldn't be doing it with my history of a
> bad back.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
January 18th 06, 02:53 PM
"Willow" > wrote in message
>I guess it depends on how far you take flexibility. As a trained
> contorsionist

!!! - tell us more!

> I've seen several injuries that went beyond the "normal
> strains" of just training oneself. My shoulder being a good exemple
> since it
> never really recovered..
>
> I'm no trainer, and certainly no expert, just trying to give what
> little
> help I can.
>
> My point is just start slow and easy until you know what you're doing.
> You
> don't start building muscles by doing bicepts curls with 250 lbs, and
> trying
> to do so would be dangerous (though it wouldn't be dangerous for me
> since it
> would never move ;op ).. same thing goes with flexibility. If you're
> very
> stiff you don't want to do a straight drop in a back bend on the first
> work
> out.
>
> I saw a trainer ask a customer (who happened to be a member of mine)
> to just
> do a back bend over a bench on the first try without checking how
> flexible
> the person was or anything.. 2 weeks later he was still hurting..

I could not agree with you more. One of the things about the "Party"
approach is that safety is considered an integral part of the program.
"Relax Into Stretch,", in at least one spot, says that if you're trying
a particular move and your form doesn't meet the minimums, go back to
the previous page and work on that one more. That's the kind of
progression and advice that should keep people safe if they follow it.
It worked well for me - I went from not being able to touch my ankles
let alone my toes all the way to putting my palms on the floor and doing
about 90% of the split I can do now, and all in the space of maybe six
months - just a steady, gradual progression, focusing on one of the
things Bryce talks about in his web page on this, building strength in
the extremes of ROM.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
> Will~
>
> "... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."
>
> Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.
>

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> "Willow" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>> >I think that if you're really serious about acquiring flexibility,
>> >you
>> > should get help. It looks very easy and safe but it is not. If you
>> > don't
>> > know what you're doing you can very easily hurt yourself, your back
>> > being
>> > the first thing that comes to mind.
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>> Bryce knows his stuff and has both the strength and the flexibility
>> back what he says. He is a trainer who works with a variety of
>> people
>> so he's had a chance to try what he's suggesting on more than just
>> himself.
>>
>> The question really is about finding what will work for you. I
>> bought
>> Pavel's first book on joint health and flexibility, entitled "Beyond
>> Stretching", and while the information in it was complete, somehow I
>> just didn't get it and I didn't really make any progress. The
>> preface
>> to "Relax Into Stretch", if I remember it right, was interesting - it
>> basically said that in the time since the earlier book came out, he'd
>> been getting feedback from people and teaching workshops, and from
>> that
>> he threw out what didn't seem to help people, changed the way he
>> presented some things, etc., all in the interest of providing a more
>> effective program. Pavel's materials are about what works - although
>> there's some theory explained, it's mostly "do this, then do that -
>> and
>> if you can't do exercise #2 without such and such form break, stop
>> and
>>
>> Safety is a relative thing here - I don't think anyone worked hard at
>> becoming more flexible without at least a few minor strains along the
>> way, no different than I don't think anyone became very strong
>> without
>> suffering an injury or two in the process. But I do _not_ think
>> working
>> on flexibility should be considered risky business, particularly for
>> one's back - if it was, I sure wouldn't be doing it with my history
>> of a
>> bad back.
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com

Willow
January 18th 06, 04:10 PM
Sounds good for real...

Right now I'm trying to build up some, mainly to compensate for too much
flexibility, but I'm planning on going back to "stretch training" when I've
got some strength built up.

--
> [...]

> >> presented some things, etc., all in the interest of providing a more
> >> effective program. Pavel's materials are about what works - although
> >> there's some theory explained, it's mostly "do this, then do that -
> >> and
> >> if you can't do exercise #2 without such and such form break, stop
> >> and
> >>
> >> Safety is a relative thing here - I don't think anyone worked hard at
> >> becoming more flexible without at least a few minor strains along the
> >> way, no different than I don't think anyone became very strong
> >> without
> >> suffering an injury or two in the process. But I do _not_ think
> >> working
> >> on flexibility should be considered risky business, particularly for
> >> one's back - if it was, I sure wouldn't be doing it with my history

Tuberculosis
January 18th 06, 04:55 PM
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:10:00 GMT, "Willow"
> wrote:

>Sounds good for real...
>
>Right now I'm trying to build up some, mainly to compensate for too much
>flexibility, but I'm planning on going back to "stretch training" when I've
>got some strength built up.
>
>--
>Will~

It'll never happen until we have wild, monkee sex for hours on end.
THEN, and ONLY then, will you see your goals realized.