PDA

View Full Version : Hernia surgery

January 24th 06, 02:00 AM
I had an inguinal hernia operation on Dec 2, 2005. The surgeon used a
mesh screen and a patch to fix the hernia. There were no
complications, and recovery went well. There's a new concern that I
have, it seems that now in week #7 (since surgery), I've developed a
cough. And now I've noticed that each time I cough, I feel the
surgical area move.

I brought this up to the surgeon. He acknowledged in our post-surgical
appointment that he felt it when he had me turn my head and cough.
But, his comment was that he only felt the edge area of the mesh/patch
move, and that he didn't think that the hernia surgery had failed.

Could someone who's been through the experience let me know if they've
noticed this far into the recovery process any sort of hernia symptoms?
I've had three hernia surgeries and do not look forward to a fourth if
need be.

TIA

Stephen
January 24th 06, 05:26 PM
wrote:

> I had an inguinal hernia operation on Dec 2, 2005. The surgeon used a
> mesh screen and a patch to fix the hernia. There were no
> complications, and recovery went well. There's a new concern that I
> have, it seems that now in week #7 (since surgery), I've developed a
> cough. And now I've noticed that each time I cough, I feel the
> surgical area move.
>
> I brought this up to the surgeon. He acknowledged in our post-surgical
> appointment that he felt it when he had me turn my head and cough.
> But, his comment was that he only felt the edge area of the mesh/patch
> move, and that he didn't think that the hernia surgery had failed.
>
> Could someone who's been through the experience let me know if they've
> noticed this far into the recovery process any sort of hernia symptoms?
> I've had three hernia surgeries and do not look forward to a fourth if
> need be.

Go to another doctor and get a second opinion. You already know this,
even if going to the doctor is your least favourite thing to do right
now. Better safe than sorry.

Stephen N.