PDA

View Full Version : Re: Handling 150 lbs devices

Lee Michaels
March 2nd 06, 10:23 PM
"Ignoramus23984" > wrote in message
.. .
>I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
> approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
> seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
> where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
> "shop crane", but that is a hassle.
>
> I do generally deadlift 170 lbs, but I am a little afraid that
> unloading is a different kind of movement and is more injury prone. I
> am not really all that worried to damage the devices, each cost me
> around $6, but I do not want to get injured.
>
> So, I am looking for some simple unloading ideas that could make it a
> little safer. Such as, perhaps, to put a "step" close to the tailgate
> so that I could first lower the thing on that step, and only then to
> the dolly.
>
> Maybe I am just a wuss and unloading should be no problem, but I
> wanted to check with knowledgeable people.
>
> Any thoughts?

Two thoughts.

Rent (or buy) an engine hoist.

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

You can also buy, build or rent some ramps for pickups fairly reasonable.
These are good to have anyway. You can always use a come along to raise or
lower a load up and down the ramps.

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

This is a picture of a come along

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

All of these items can be rented. There are also metal tips that you can
buy to fit two by lumber tomake these ramps.

Lee Michaels
March 2nd 06, 10:39 PM
"Ignoramus23984" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:23:52 -0500, Lee Michaels
> > wrote:
>>
>> "Ignoramus23984" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>I am soon going to pick up six devices, each is a rectangular shape
>>> approximately 2x1.5x1 foot. Each weighs 150 lbs. I hope that the
>>> seller will load them into my pickup with a forklift, but unloading is
>>> where I have my doubts. I could unload them with a chain hoist or a
>>> "shop crane", but that is a hassle.
>>>
>>> I do generally deadlift 170 lbs, but I am a little afraid that
>>> unloading is a different kind of movement and is more injury prone. I
>>> am not really all that worried to damage the devices, each cost me
>>> around $6, but I do not want to get injured.
>>>
>>> So, I am looking for some simple unloading ideas that could make it a
>>> little safer. Such as, perhaps, to put a "step" close to the tailgate
>>> so that I could first lower the thing on that step, and only then to
>>> the dolly.
>>>
>>> Maybe I am just a wuss and unloading should be no problem, but I
>>> wanted to check with knowledgeable people.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>> Two thoughts.
>>
>> Rent (or buy) an engine hoist.
>>
>> http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do
>
> I have exactly that (I call it a shop crane, perhaps incorrectly), but
> it is a hassle to use in this instance. Think about how many movements
> need to be done, truck started and moved, etc.
>
>> You can also buy, build or rent some ramps for pickups fairly reasonable.
>> These are good to have anyway. You can always use a come along to raise
>> or
>> lower a load up and down the ramps.
>>
>> http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do
>>
>> This is a picture of a come along
>>
>> http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do
>>
>> All of these items can be rented. There are also metal tips that you can
>> buy to fit two by lumber tomake these ramps.
>>

> Thanks. Ramps could be a good alternative actually, and here with 152
> lbs I could get away with some simple stuff.

Here is a picture of the kits I was talking about. These are actually
available from many sources. I am not doing that good coming up with
anything on the web though. This all I could come up with on short notice.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/truckrampkit.html

By the way, what are you going to use those big power supplies for?