PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

The Crow
March 29th 06, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know if it's true that drinking alcohol relatively soon after a
workout can render that workout useless?

I was talking to someone the other day, and they said that if you consume
any alcohol within twenty four hours of a workout, you retrospectively
render the workout useless, and you might as well not have bothered with it
in the first place. Something to do with alcohol inhibiting the rest phase
processes.

Has anyone else heard this, and do you think there's any truth in it? Also,
do you reckon twenty four hours is an accurate estimate for the time you
should leave in between a workout and your next alcoholic drink?

Thanks.

John Hanson
March 29th 06, 11:44 AM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:51:38 +0100, "The Crow"
> wrote:

>Does anyone know if it's true that drinking alcohol relatively soon after a
>workout can render that workout useless?
>
>I was talking to someone the other day, and they said that if you consume
>any alcohol within twenty four hours of a workout, you retrospectively
>render the workout useless, and you might as well not have bothered with it
>in the first place. Something to do with alcohol inhibiting the rest phase
>processes.
>
>Has anyone else heard this, and do you think there's any truth in it? Also,
>do you reckon twenty four hours is an accurate estimate for the time you
>should leave in between a workout and your next alcoholic drink?
>
>Thanks.

I just got done working out my "wee lad", and now I'm drinking my
daily 30 pack, so I'll let you know...

Ranieri
March 29th 06, 01:47 PM
"The Crow" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it's true that drinking alcohol relatively soon after
> a workout can render that workout useless?
>
> I was talking to someone the other day, and they said that if you consume
> any alcohol within twenty four hours of a workout, you retrospectively
> render the workout useless, and you might as well not have bothered with
> it in the first place. Something to do with alcohol inhibiting the rest
> phase processes.
>
> Has anyone else heard this, and do you think there's any truth in it?
> Also, do you reckon twenty four hours is an accurate estimate for the time
> you should leave in between a workout and your next alcoholic drink?

So if you workout every day you will have no results at all unless you
completely abstain? Too much alcohol can disrupt sleep patterns, not to
mention the increased caloric intake - but I haven't seen anything that
indicates low-moderate consumption has any adverse effects.

EatMe
March 29th 06, 04:09 PM
Go to www.bodyrecomposition.com.

IIRC Lyle talks about it in one of his dieting articles. Kills free
teste and promotes estrogen or somesuch. Especially beer drinking.

Ranieri
March 29th 06, 04:09 PM
"Gemini Jackson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:47:55 -0600, "Ranieri" <nah> wrote:
>

>>"The Crow" > wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know if it's true that drinking alcohol relatively soon
>>> after
>>> a workout can render that workout useless?
>>>
>>> I was talking to someone the other day, and they said that if you
>>> consume
>>> any alcohol within twenty four hours of a workout, you retrospectively
>>> render the workout useless, and you might as well not have bothered with
>>> it in the first place. Something to do with alcohol inhibiting the rest
>>> phase processes.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else heard this, and do you think there's any truth in it?
>>> Also, do you reckon twenty four hours is an accurate estimate for the
>>> time
>>> you should leave in between a workout and your next alcoholic drink?
>>>

>>So if you workout every day you will have no results at all unless you
>>completely abstain? Too much alcohol can disrupt sleep patterns, not to
>>mention the increased caloric intake - but I haven't seen anything that
>>indicates low-moderate consumption has any adverse effects.
>>

> Until recently I'd end each day with a single glass of wine. I no
> longer do that (during the week) and have most certainly lost some
> flab. Probably mostly water retention. From 1 glass, amazing.
>
> Stick to pot. 0 calories.

Depends on the size of the glass, I guess.

Gemini Jackson
March 30th 06, 04:46 PM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:09:39 -0600, "Ranieri" <nah> wrote:

>"Gemini Jackson" > wrote in message

>>>So if you workout every day you will have no results at all unless you
>>>completely abstain? Too much alcohol can disrupt sleep patterns, not to
>>>mention the increased caloric intake - but I haven't seen anything that
>>>indicates low-moderate consumption has any adverse effects.
>>>

>> Until recently I'd end each day with a single glass of wine. I no
>> longer do that (during the week) and have most certainly lost some
>> flab. Probably mostly water retention. From 1 glass, amazing.
>>
>> Stick to pot. 0 calories.
>

>Depends on the size of the glass, I guess.

True, it was a large mug from the local renaissance festival.
~GJ~