PDA

View Full Version : ARNOLD bench

Granola Bar
November 19th 03, 06:08 AM
How much do you think ARNOLD could bench press?

Keith Hobman
November 19th 03, 02:18 PM
In article >,
(Granola Bar) wrote:

> How much do you think ARNOLD could bench press?

I think he did 365 in competition.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Vlad the Impaler
November 19th 03, 11:41 PM
No. At one point he did 500.

"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Granola Bar) wrote:
>
> > How much do you think ARNOLD could bench press?
>
> I think he did 365 in competition.
>
> --
> Keith Hobman
>
> --- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 01:20 AM
In article >, "Vlad the
Impaler" > wrote:

> No. At one point he did 500.

Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time and
they say he didn't come close to 500.

David
November 20th 03, 01:22 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Vlad the
> Impaler" > wrote:
>
> > No. At one point he did 500.
>
> Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time and
> they say he didn't come close to 500.

what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 01:35 AM
In article >, "David"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Vlad the
> > Impaler" > wrote:
> >
> > > No. At one point he did 500.
> >
> > Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time and
> > they say he didn't come close to 500.
>
> what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?

I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization which
has some sort of judging.

Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson in
Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done without a
supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.

I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb benches.

I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they are
using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the biggest.

Wayne S. Hill
November 20th 03, 01:51 AM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named
> Henderson in Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench
> because it was done without a supportive shirt. I would say
> that is the biggest bench I know of.

That's amazing.

--
-Wayne

David
November 20th 03, 02:13 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, "David"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message

> > > Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time
and
> > > they say he didn't come close to 500.
> >
> > what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?
>
> I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization which
> has some sort of judging.
>
> Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson in
> Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done without a
> supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.
>
> I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb
benches.

> I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they are
> using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the biggest.

that is hard to imagine - what would that mother look like?

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 02:22 AM
In article >, "David"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "David"
> > > wrote:

> and
> > >
> > > what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?
> >
> > I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization which
> > has some sort of judging.
> >
> > Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson in
> > Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done without a
> > supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.
> >
> > I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb
> benches.
> >
> > I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they are
> > using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the biggest.
>
> that is hard to imagine - what would that mother look like?

James Henderson weighs about 400 lbs. He is huge.

They had him on the gold medal podium and he jumps up. It was a dangerous
moment and it was a strong podium!

Big. Really, really big.

David
November 20th 03, 02:26 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, "David"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > > In article >, "David"

> > and

> > > I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization
which
> > > has some sort of judging.
> > >
> > > Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson
in
> > > Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done
without a
> > > supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.
> > >
> > > I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb
> > benches.
> > >
> > > I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they
are
> > > using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the
biggest.

> > that is hard to imagine - what would that mother look like?
>
> James Henderson weighs about 400 lbs. He is huge.
>
> They had him on the gold medal podium and he jumps up. It was a dangerous
> moment and it was a strong podium!
>
> Big. Really, really big.

****!

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 02:41 AM
In article >, "David"
> wrote:

> "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "David"
> > > wrote:

> time
> > > and

> which

> in
> without a

> > > benches.

> are
> biggest.
> > >
> > > that is hard to imagine - what would that mother look like?
> >
> > James Henderson weighs about 400 lbs. He is huge.
> >
> > They had him on the gold medal podium and he jumps up. It was a dangerous
> > moment and it was a strong podium!
> >
> > Big. Really, really big.
>
> ****!

Picture of him benching here:

http://keithpayne.homestead.com/henderson.html

It doesn't really convey how big this guy is tho...

David
November 20th 03, 03:13 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, "David"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> > > In article >, "David"

"David"

the

> > time

> > which

Henderson
> > in
> > without a

> > are
> > biggest.

> > > James Henderson weighs about 400 lbs. He is huge.
> > >
> > > They had him on the gold medal podium and he jumps up. It was a
dangerous
> > > moment and it was a strong podium!
> > >
> > > Big. Really, really big.
> >
> > ****!
>
> Picture of him benching here:
>
> http://keithpayne.homestead.com/henderson.html
>
> It doesn't really convey how big this guy is tho...

thanks, googled Bill Kazmeir - he's no wimp either
http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/images/Kaz/56height.jpg

Aaron
November 20th 03, 03:42 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, "David"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message

> > > Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time
and
> > > they say he didn't come close to 500.
> >
> > what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?
>
> I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization which
> has some sort of judging.
>
> Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson in
> Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done without a
> supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.

henderson is amazing, when the site www.irongame.com comes back up, there is
a 700 demo that henderson does for his church group, MAN it looks ezy

> I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb
benches.

i hate doing big hand outs, especially for those bstards who sit way down
the bottom of the bench

> I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they are
> using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the biggest.

the current unlimited record is now 900lb, done in the weekend by Gene
Rycheck (who weights 370ish) in a double ply open backed Inzer Phenom.
He broke mendelsons 875 last week (with 885) and then did the 900 this week
on a second attempt...

I wouldnt want to be spotting that monster.
--
Aaron

Will
November 20th 03, 03:53 AM
In article >,
(Keith Hobman) wrote:

> In article >, "David"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message

> > > Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time and
> > > they say he didn't come close to 500.
> >
> > what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?
>
> I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization which
> has some sort of judging.
>
> Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson in
> Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done without a
> supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.
>
> I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb benches.
>
> I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they are
> using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the biggest.

No argument that 720 raw may really be the most impressive (although I
think Mendelson hit 713 raw in a meet, definitely something over 700),
but in the anything goes category Gene Rychlak hit 900. In a double
Phenom. Although maybe not one from right off the shelf.

Will
November 20th 03, 04:18 AM
In article >,
"Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> the current unlimited record is now 900lb, done in the weekend by Gene
> Rycheck (who weights 370ish) in a double ply open backed Inzer Phenom.

But see:

http://www.goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/73453

John Hanson
November 21st 03, 01:14 AM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:22:30 +1000, "David" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Vlad the
>> Impaler" > wrote:
>>
>> > No. At one point he did 500.
>>
>> Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that time and
>> they say he didn't come close to 500.
>
>what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?

900

Aaron
November 21st 03, 01:44 AM
"Will" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>

> > the current unlimited record is now 900lb, done in the weekend by Gene
> > Rycheck (who weights 370ish) in a double ply open backed Inzer Phenom.
>
> But see:
>
> http://www.goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/73453

yes, but based very little on fact

Joe hasnt coached gene since hte begining of the year or there abouts, so it
doesnt really matter. As genes double ply is thick, but the phenom is
****ing thick at the best of times, so its a completely different beast.
The shirt was also very low cut, as havning it down that low also helps with
larger lifts.

have you seen the stuff about touqing the furies to make them work better?

--
Aaron

Will
November 21st 03, 02:14 AM
In article >,
"Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> "Will" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> >

> > > the current unlimited record is now 900lb, done in the weekend by Gene
> > > Rycheck (who weights 370ish) in a double ply open backed Inzer Phenom.
> >
> > But see:
> >
> > http://www.goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/73453
>
> yes, but based very little on fact

True. But I think it is fair to say that he wasn't wearing a shirt like
you or I would get if we ordered a double Phenom from Inzer.

> Joe hasnt coached gene since hte begining of the year or there abouts, so it
> doesnt really matter. As genes double ply is thick, but the phenom is
> ****ing thick at the best of times, so its a completely different beast.
> The shirt was also very low cut, as havning it down that low also helps with
> larger lifts.
>
> have you seen the stuff about touqing the furies to make them work better?

I have indeed. Are you thinking of getting one? Once you try a stretch
back it will be very hard to go back to a regular shirt.

Will
November 21st 03, 02:18 AM
> > "Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> >

> > > the current unlimited record is now 900lb, done in the weekend by Gene
> > > Rycheck (who weights 370ish) in a double ply open backed Inzer Phenom.

Have you seen the video?

http://www.superior.net/~mccassd/gene900.wmv

Shirt or no shirt that's one hell of a lift. Pretty strict form, too.

Micky Snir
November 21st 03, 02:30 AM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:22:30 +1000, "David" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>

> >"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message

> >> Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that
time and
> >> they say he didn't come close to 500.
> >
> >what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?
> >
> 900

I can bench that, raw, on the moon, but the I'll have to lower the
weight very slowly, because although the weight is only sixth, the
(inertial) mass remains the same thus it will be very hard to decelerate
it to rest on my chest, and if I miscalculate it might crash me.

M.

August Pamplona
November 21st 03, 06:33 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
> In article >, "David"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Keith Hobman" > wrote in message

> > > Nope. He bragged 500. I know people who trained at Gold's at that
time and
> > > they say he didn't come close to 500.
> >
> > what is the most anyone has benched that you know of?
>
> I trust most any result from a powerlifting meet in an organization
which
> has some sort of judging.
>
> Personally I witnessed a 720 lb world record by a guy named Henderson
in
> Edmonton, Alta. I count that as a huge bench because it was done
without a
> supportive shirt. I would say that is the biggest bench I know of.
>
> I have given the lift-off in powerlifting meets for several 600 lb
benches.

> I'm also aware of records in the 800+ for the bench, but since they
are
> using canvas supportive gear I personally consider the 720 the
biggest.

Let's not forget Jimmy 'The Iron Bull' Pellechia, world strongest
power bodybuilder, and his prodigious bench press which bestrides all
other bench presses like a colossus of yore.

August Pamplona
P.S. Almost forgot ---> :-)
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

Aaron
November 22nd 03, 06:01 AM
"Will" > wrote in message

Gene
Phenom.

> Have you seen the video?
>
> http://www.superior.net/~mccassd/gene900.wmv
>
> Shirt or no shirt that's one hell of a lift. Pretty strict form, too.

yes, shirt or no shirt, drugs or no drugs, no body else can do that
weight...
i got that the other day, its phenominal ;)
--
Aaron

Aaron
November 22nd 03, 06:03 AM
"Will" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>
> > "Will" > wrote in message

Gene
Phenom.

> > > But see:
> > >
> > > http://www.goheavy.com/forums/debate/index.cgi/read/73453
> >
> > yes, but based very little on fact
>
> True. But I think it is fair to say that he wasn't wearing a shirt like
> you or I would get if we ordered a double Phenom from Inzer.

possibly, depends if you ask for a low cut, open back, double ply. Gene has
a forum somewhere

> > Joe hasnt coached gene since hte begining of the year or there abouts,
so it
> > doesnt really matter. As genes double ply is thick, but the phenom is
> > ****ing thick at the best of times, so its a completely different beast.
> > The shirt was also very low cut, as havning it down that low also helps
with
> > larger lifts.
> >
> > have you seen the stuff about touqing the furies to make them work
better?

> I have indeed. Are you thinking of getting one? Once you try a stretch
> back it will be very hard to go back to a regular shirt.

yes, I always wanted a fury, but their supply chain was a bit bad (meant to
be a lot better now than it was tho) and I will be getting one in the next
year or so, as if it goes like a denim, I think it will suit me a lot...
--
Aaron

Aaron
November 22nd 03, 06:05 AM
"Aaron" <hunt354 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

> "Will" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> Gene
> Phenom.

> > > yes, but based very little on fact
> >
> > True. But I think it is fair to say that he wasn't wearing a shirt like
> > you or I would get if we ordered a double Phenom from Inzer.
>
> possibly, depends if you ask for a low cut, open back, double ply. Gene
has
> a forum somewhere
>
> > > Joe hasnt coached gene since hte begining of the year or there abouts,
> so it
> > > doesnt really matter. As genes double ply is thick, but the phenom is
> > > ****ing thick at the best of times, so its a completely different
beast.
> > > The shirt was also very low cut, as havning it down that low also
helps
> with
> > > larger lifts.
> > >
> > > have you seen the stuff about touqing the furies to make them work
> better?
> >
> > I have indeed. Are you thinking of getting one? Once you try a stretch
> > back it will be very hard to go back to a regular shirt.
>
> yes, I always wanted a fury, but their supply chain was a bit bad (meant
> be a lot better now than it was tho) and I will be getting one in the next
> year or so, as if it goes like a denim, I think it will suit me a lot...
> --
> Aaron

also, some progress reports.

I hit 220kg x 1 on the 4board the other night, 227.5 nailed me to the bench.
I just missed 205 on 3board, becuase it hit the upright(under the J hook on
the power rack). Without gear or a liftout, and also a narrow grip. The
training seems to be heading in the right direction, hopefully I will hit a
gear max prior to the end of hte year (i just need someone to wedge me into
my gear :)

--
Aaron

CHChammer
November 26th 03, 08:01 AM

>How much do you think ARNOLD could bench press?

There is a picture of him benching 405 in his "Encyclopedia of Body Building".
He claims doing as much as 450 for sets of 10.

Will
November 26th 03, 02:39 PM
In article >,
(CHChammer) wrote:

> >How much do you think ARNOLD could bench press?
> >

> There is a picture of him benching 405 in his "Encyclopedia of Body Building".
> He claims doing as much as 450 for sets of 10.

There's a picture with a caption claiming he's benching 450 for reps.
When you count up the plates (and read the values off the innnermost
plate), it's 365.