PDA

View Full Version : JPEGS here


k957
November 19th 03, 02:54 PM
http://www.geocities.com/budo957/cutting.html

not that anyone asked.

I went from 227# to 207# in about 7 months.
I took the last two months 'off' (maintenance), but the battle of the bulge
has resumed. I'm shooting for 195 by the end of 2003. The holidays will
make that a bit difficult methinks.


Many, many thanks to the folks here at MFW.


Enrique

--
-- Spam Sink

Richard Bray
November 19th 03, 04:34 PM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:28:31 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>William Lyon McKenzie

Time for Canadian history and spelling review.

John M. Williams
November 19th 03, 04:42 PM
"k957" > wrote:
> http://www.geocities.com/budo957/cutting.html
>
> not that anyone asked.

Most won't see it for a while. That's the problem with
Geocities: file transfer limits. If you post a link in the
newsgroup, lots of folks take a look, and Geocities
shuts you down for a while.

T
November 19th 03, 07:17 PM
Oh well :-((



"John M. Williams" > wrote in message
...
> "k957" > wrote:
> > http://www.geocities.com/budo957/cutting.html
> >
> > not that anyone asked.
>
> Most won't see it for a while. That's the problem with
> Geocities: file transfer limits. If you post a link in the
> newsgroup, lots of folks take a look, and Geocities
> shuts you down for a while.
>
>

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 01:28 AM
emailed by my cousin.

[sniff] so true...

:^)

------

My fellow Canucks!

SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?

1. Smarties

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

4. Baseball is Canadian

5. Lacrosse is Canadian

6. Hockey is Canadian

7. Basketball is Canadian

8. Apple pie is Canadian

9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass

11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
the*Americans*back...past*their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
we came home and partied...Go figure..

12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.

13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.

14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.

15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American
mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just
in time to get caught.

16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and
is still around as the worlds oldest company.

18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in
under 3 minutes.

19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

20. We don't marry our kin-folk.

21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
each year.

22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell
about it.

23. A Canadian invented Superman.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT!

24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with
mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

Randy Shrader
November 20th 03, 01:40 AM
"Keith Hobman" > wrote in message
...
> emailed by my cousin.
>
> [sniff] so true...
>
> :^)
>
> ------
>
> My fellow Canucks!
>
> SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
>
> 1. Smarties
>
> 2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp
>
> 3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down
>
> 4. Baseball is Canadian
>
> 5. Lacrosse is Canadian
>
> 6. Hockey is Canadian
>
> 7. Basketball is Canadian
>
> 8. Apple pie is Canadian
>
> 9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass
>
> 10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass
>
> 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
> most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
> we came home and partied...Go figure..
>
> 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to
Germany.
>
> 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
> withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>
> 14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.
>
> 15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American
> mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just
> in time to get caught.
>
> 16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.
>
> 17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and
> is still around as the worlds oldest company.
>
> 18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in
> under 3 minutes.
>
> 19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.
>
> 20. We don't marry our kin-folk.
>
> 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
> zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
> each year.
>
> 22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell
> about it.
>
> 23. A Canadian invented Superman.
>
> BUT MOST IMPORTANT!
>
> 24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with
> mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!
>
> Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.

Randy

Big Chris
November 20th 03, 06:02 AM
A response in jest.

Keith Hobman wrote:
>
> SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
> 3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

Your team versus our team, on either field with either set of rule, who
would you bet on? And remember, when betting you have to convert your money
to match ours, so an even bet cost you considerably more.

>
> 4. Baseball is Canadian

And they have really excelled at it.

>
> 5. Lacrosse is Canadian

about 17 people really care

>
> 6. Hockey is Canadian

In spite of the fact I live in Minnesota, I think you could've kept it and
the world wouldn't miss it.


>
> 7. Basketball is Canadian

And Canada is such a powerhouse in basketball beacause of it.

> 9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

Anyboyd can/could kick his ass (BTW, Fred died this past year).


>
> 10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass

Dunkin Donuts sucks. Try Krispy Kreme.

>
> 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
> most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away,
> so we came home and partied...Go figure..

And Canada has yet to quit suckling at the tit of the British.

>
> 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered
> to Germany.

Yeah, I'd be really proud to have a large French
population....right.....that would be like the US bragging that we have more
transvestites.

>
> 13. We have the largest English population that never ever
> surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.

and just how many wars of any significance has Canada played the decisive
role in? Heck, we astate with more population than your whole contry, and
more military fire power.

> 16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

Plaid was never cool, except for on kilts, in which case, it is always cool.

> 18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human
> in under 3 minutes.

You ever seen a family of Texans at an all you can eat BBQ? They could eat
the human, dogs, harnesses and use the sled for toothpicks in under 3
minutes.

>
> 19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

We are aware of that. The part that worries us is what you are doing to the
hole on the back end of them.....

>
> 20. We don't marry our kin-folk.
>
> 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin,
> penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save
> countless lives each year.

If you wouldn't have infected us with hockey, we wouldn't need the Zambonis.
And we're not about to list all the stuff people in the USA have invented.

>
> 22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to
> tell about it.

I'll let that one speak for itself.

>
> BUT MOST IMPORTANT!
>
> 24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands
> with
> mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

We have places where you never have to wear mitts. Ever.


>
> Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

Our elections matter on a world scale. Triumph the insult comic dog could
be elected to office in Canada, and the rest of the world wouldn't know the
difference.

gman99
November 20th 03, 01:19 PM
> >
> > 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> > the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
> > most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> > insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away,
> > so we came home and partied...Go figure..
>
> And Canada has yet to quit suckling at the tit of the British.
>

That's brave seeing as that the US president is currently doing a Monica
for the Brits...

> >
> > 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered
> > to Germany.
>
> Yeah, I'd be really proud to have a large French
> population....right.....that would be like the US bragging that we have
> more transvestites.

That's just stupid talk

> >
> > 13. We have the largest English population that never ever
> > surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>
> and just how many wars of any significance has Canada played the decisive
> role in? Heck, we astate with more population than your whole contry,
> and more military fire power.
>
Well, seeing as that we were in WWI and WWI from the get go, we didn't sit
around playing with ourselves for a few years...hmmmm...let's see, we were
also in Korea...and guess what, we were the only country in any of these
wars that was not directly attacked. If it weren't for Pearl Harbour the US
would have stayed out of WWII even longer....

Slambram
November 20th 03, 03:51 PM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:28:31 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>emailed by my cousin.
>
>[sniff] so true...
>
>:^)
>
>------
>
>My fellow Canucks!
>
>SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
>
>1. Smarties
>
......
25. The Blackout wasn't our fault.

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 04:51 PM
In article >, Richard Bray
> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:28:31 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
> wrote:
>
> >William Lyon McKenzie
>
> Time for Canadian history and spelling review.

Wasn't my original posting. It was supposed to be funny.

But yes, here is the correction.

William Lyon Mackenzie

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

William Lyon Mackenzie (1795 *1861 ) was a Canadian journalist and rebel.

Mackenzie was born in Scotland and immigrated to Upper Canada in 1820 .
From 1824 to 1834 he published the newspaper the Colonial Advocate in York
( Toronto ), attacking the upper class clique known as the " Family
Compact " which was in control of the government. In response to this, a
mob threw his printing press into Lake Ontario in 1826 . In 1828 he was
elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, but was expelled five
times for libel , each time being re-elected.

In 1834 he became the first mayor of Toronto, and in 1836 he founded the
newspaper, The Constitution , to promote the policies of his Reform
Party. He was opposed to Sir Francis Bond Head , and in 1837 led the
Upper Canada Rebellion against Bond Head and the Family Compact, which was
quickly put down. Mackenzie escaped to the United States , and set up a
provisional government on Navy Island in the Niagara River . He was later
imprisoned in the U.S. for his involvement in the Caroline Affair . An
amnesty allowed his return to Canada in 1849 , and he was a member of the
Legislative Assemby of the Province of Canada from 1851 to 1858 .

William Lyon Mackenzie was the grandfather of William Lyon Mackenzie King.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

DRS
November 20th 03, 05:50 PM
Randy Shrader > wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.

It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.

--

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
Andreas Prilop

DRS
November 20th 03, 07:32 PM
Anonymous > wrote in message

> wasnt penicillin invented by english?

Alexander Fleming was Scottish. Howard Florey was Australian. Ernest Chain
was German. Fleming, Chain and Florey were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize
in Physiology or Medicine 1945 for their work on penicillin. No Canadians
were anywhere in sight.

--

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
Andreas Prilop

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 07:35 PM
In article >, "Anonymous"
> wrote:

> wasnt penicillin invented by english?

Banting was a Canadian, FWIW.

As in most things there were more than one person involved.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 07:46 PM
In article >, "DRS"
> wrote:

> Anonymous > wrote in message
>
> > wasnt penicillin invented by english?
>
> Alexander Fleming was Scottish. Howard Florey was Australian. Ernest Chain
> was German. Fleming, Chain and Florey were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize
> in Physiology or Medicine 1945 for their work on penicillin. No Canadians
> were anywhere in sight.

You're right - it was Fleming not Banting.

Banting, a Canadian, invented insulin.

As I said before and should have been obvious - the original post was a
joke. You have humour in Oz?

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Richard Bray
November 20th 03, 09:39 PM
>Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
>successfully invaded was 1066.

Time for more history review.

T.R.H
November 20th 03, 09:55 PM
DRS wrote:
> Randy Shrader > wrote in message
> [email protected]
>
> [...]
>
>
>>Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
>
>
> It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
>
*DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south to
our suds!!

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 10:00 PM
In article <[email protected]>, "T.R.H" > wrote:

> DRS wrote:
> > Randy Shrader > wrote in message
> > [email protected]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >
> >>Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
> >
> >
> > It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
> >
> *DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south to
> our suds!!

It was an Oz comparison, but still stands.

Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

Lucas Buck
November 20th 03, 10:23 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:46:14 -0600, (Keith Hobman) wrote:

>In article >, "DRS"
> wrote:
>
>> Anonymous > wrote in message
>>
>> > wasnt penicillin invented by english?
>>
>> Alexander Fleming was Scottish. Howard Florey was Australian. Ernest Chain
>> was German. Fleming, Chain and Florey were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize
>> in Physiology or Medicine 1945 for their work on penicillin. No Canadians
>> were anywhere in sight.
>
>You're right - it was Fleming not Banting.
>
>Banting, a Canadian, invented insulin.

"invented" ?

Keith Hobman
November 20th 03, 10:33 PM
In article >, Lucas Buck
> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:46:14 -0600, (Keith Hobman) wrote:
>
> >In article >, "DRS"
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Anonymous > wrote in message
> >>
> >> > wasnt penicillin invented by english?
> >>
> >> Alexander Fleming was Scottish. Howard Florey was Australian.
Ernest Chain
> >> was German. Fleming, Chain and Florey were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize
> >> in Physiology or Medicine 1945 for their work on penicillin. No Canadians
> >> were anywhere in sight.
> >
> >You're right - it was Fleming not Banting.
> >
> >Banting, a Canadian, invented insulin.
>
> "invented" ?

Sheesh.

'Discovered'. Okay?

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

T.R.H
November 20th 03, 11:02 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "T.R.H" > wrote:
>
>
>>DRS wrote:
>>
>>>Randy Shrader > wrote in message
>>>[email protected]
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
>>>
>>>
>>>It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
>>>
>>
>>*DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south to
>>our suds!!
>
>
> It was an Oz comparison, but still stands.
>
> Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.
>
whatever, its still "down south"

yes, it certainly is!

Chris Moorehead
November 21st 03, 04:15 AM
In article >, =20
says...
> emailed by my cousin.
>=20
> [sniff] so true...
>=20
> :^)
>=20
> ------
>=20
> My fellow Canucks!
>=20
> SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?
>=20
> 1. Smarties
>=20
> 2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp
>=20
> 3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down
>=20
> 4. Baseball is Canadian
>=20
> 5. Lacrosse is Canadian
>=20
> 6. Hockey is Canadian
>=20
> 7. Basketball is Canadian
>=20
> 8. Apple pie is Canadian
>=20
> 9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

Not to rain on the parade, but the Mr Dress-Up show was co-created by=20
Fred Rogers, who was living in Canada at the time. After the show was=20
up & running, he moved back to the US, but fellow US expatriate Ernie=20
Coombs stayed in Canada for the rest of his life.

> 10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass
>=20
> 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> the=A0Americans=A0back...past=A0their 'White House'. Then we burned it...=
and
> most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
> we came home and partied...Go figure..
>=20
> 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Ge=
rmany.

> 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
> withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>=20
> 14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.

I used to live around the corner from Montgomery's Tavern. Booze plays=20
an important role in Canadian history -- when I was at school I often=20
frequented a Kingston dive called the Royal Tavern (aka the Tap Room),=20
formerly owned by noted dipsomaniac Sir John A. Macdonald.
=20
> 15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American
> mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just
> in time to get caught.
>=20
> 16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

But Seattle will claim that we ripped off the design of the Space Needle=20
for the CN Tower.
=20
> 17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface an=
d
> is still around as the worlds oldest company.

Everyone knows that HBC really means "Here Before Christ".
=20
> 18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in
> under 3 minutes.
>=20
> 19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.
>=20
> 20. We don't marry our kin-folk.
>=20
> 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
> zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
> each year.

We really shouldn't brag about the Jet-Ski thing. And it's probably=20
more accurate to say that Banting, Best & MacLeod "discovered" insulin=20
rather than "invented" it.

>=20
> 22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell
> about it.

> 23. A Canadian invented Superman.

Worse, the Daily Planet was originally the Toronto Star.
=20
> BUT MOST IMPORTANT!
>=20
> 24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with
> mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

Things were better before 1985, when we still used stubbies. A case of=20
stubbies would fit perfectly under a standard dormitory bed.
=20
> Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day.

But we keep having one election after another -- make it stop!

Chris
=20

--=20
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
Toronto, Canada


"The trouble with our Texas Baptists is that we do not
hold them under water long enough." =20
~ William Brann, later shot by an irate Baptist

Steve
November 21st 03, 12:17 PM
(Keith Hobman) wrote
> 4. Baseball is Canadian

How so Keith. As I understand it baseball is watered down cricket
compiled by Abner Doubleday.....was he Canadian?

>
> 7. Basketball is Canadian

I read that basketball was invented by gym teacher who wanted his
students to exercise during cold winter months. Was this gym teacher
Canadian?

>
> 8. Apple pie is Canadian

I read it was invented by German immigrants. Did they immigrate to
Canada?



>
> 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
> most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
> we came home and partied...Go figure..

I read the British burned the White House down. No problem if I am
wrong, but please consider doing it again. If you bother to make the
trip stop at congress on your way out.....and the un-supreme court :).







>
> 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.

LOL


>
> 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
> withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.

Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
successfully invaded was 1066.



> 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
> zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
> each year.

Didn't Louis Pasteur ( French ) invent penicillian?

Steve
November 21st 03, 12:18 PM
You forgot the band Rush and the impressionist Rich Little.

Steve

Wayne S. Hill
November 21st 03, 01:27 PM
Steve wrote:

> Keith Hobman wrote

>> 4. Baseball is Canadian
>
> How so Keith. As I understand it baseball is watered down
> cricket

Rounders.

> compiled by Abner Doubleday.....was he Canadian?

At this point, they're pretty sure it was Alexander Cartwright, of
New York, in 1845. Doubleday got the credit by mistake (or on
purpose) by a special commission in 1907.

>> 7. Basketball is Canadian
>
> I read that basketball was invented by gym teacher who
> wanted his students to exercise during cold winter months.
> Was this gym teacher Canadian?

The inventor, James Naismith, was a Cannuck at the YMCA Training
College in Springfield, MA.

--
-Wayne

Keith Hobman
November 21st 03, 02:04 PM
In article >,
(Steve) wrote:

> (Keith Hobman) wrote
> > 4. Baseball is Canadian
>
> How so Keith. As I understand it baseball is watered down cricket
> compiled by Abner Doubleday.....was he Canadian?

Not as far as I know. It wasn't written by me and it was a joke.
>
> >
> > 7. Basketball is Canadian
>
> I read that basketball was invented by gym teacher who wanted his
> students to exercise during cold winter months. Was this gym teacher
> Canadian?

Yes, Nesmith (or whatever his name was) was a Canadian.
>
> >
> > 8. Apple pie is Canadian
>
> I read it was invented by German immigrants. Did they immigrate to
> Canada?

I have no idea.
>
>
>
> >
> > 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> > the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
> > most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> > insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
> > we came home and partied...Go figure..
>
> I read the British burned the White House down. No problem if I am
> wrong, but please consider doing it again. If you bother to make the
> trip stop at congress on your way out.....and the un-supreme court :).
>
LOL!!!
>
>
>
> >
> > 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to
Germany.
>
> LOL
>
>
> >
> > 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
> > withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>
> Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
> successfully invaded was 1066.

When was Canada successfully invaded? The aboriginals went south, not north.
>
>
>
> > 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
> > zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
> > each year.
>
> Didn't Louis Pasteur ( French ) invent penicillian?

No, an englishman named Fleming. I assume the person who sent it was
confusing him with the discovery of insulin by Banting, a Canadian.

NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST TIME I POST AN OT JOKE TO THIS LIST. TOO MANY
PEOPLE WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR! IT WAS A JOKE - NOT A SCIENTIFIC OR
HISTORIC TREATISE. LIGHTNE UP!!!

Sheesh.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

John Hanson
November 21st 03, 02:20 PM
On 21 Nov 2003 04:17:36 -0800, (Steve) wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

(Keith Hobman) wrote
>> 4. Baseball is Canadian
>
>How so Keith. As I understand it baseball is watered down cricket
>compiled by Abner Doubleday.....was he Canadian?
>
>>
>> 7. Basketball is Canadian
>
>I read that basketball was invented by gym teacher who wanted his
>students to exercise during cold winter months. Was this gym teacher
>Canadian?
>
>>
>> 8. Apple pie is Canadian
>
>I read it was invented by German immigrants. Did they immigrate to
>Canada?
>
>
>
>>
>> 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
>> the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
>> most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
>> insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
>> we came home and partied...Go figure..
>
>I read the British burned the White House down. No problem if I am
>wrong, but please consider doing it again. If you bother to make the
>trip stop at congress on your way out.....and the un-supreme court :).
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>> 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.
>
>LOL
>
>
>>
>> 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
>> withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>
>Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
>successfully invaded was 1066.
>
Reread that...and one word, Dunkirk.

DRS
November 21st 03, 02:30 PM
Keith Hobman > wrote in message

> In article <[email protected]>, "T.R.H"
> > wrote:
>> DRS wrote:
>>> Randy Shrader > wrote in message
>>> [email protected]
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>>> Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
>>>
>>> It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
>>>
>> *DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south
>> to our suds!!
>
> It was an Oz comparison, but still stands.
>
> Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.

Two things: one, the Fosters you get is brewed in Canada and isn't the
genuine article; two, the reason we export Fosters is because no-one here
will drink it. It's all a big con job (a bit like Stella Artois).

--

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
Andreas Prilop

DRS
November 21st 03, 02:35 PM
Keith Hobman > wrote in message

> In article >, "DRS"
> > wrote:
>
>> Anonymous > wrote in message
>>
>>> wasnt penicillin invented by english?
>>
>> Alexander Fleming was Scottish. Howard Florey was Australian.
>> Ernest Chain was German. Fleming, Chain and Florey were jointly
>> awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1945 for their
>> work on penicillin. No Canadians were anywhere in sight.
>
> You're right - it was Fleming not Banting.

There's three names on the 1945 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.
Fleming gets far too much credit. It was Florey and Chain together who
isolated its active ingredient and made it possible for it to be
mass-produced.

> Banting, a Canadian, invented insulin.
>
> As I said before and should have been obvious - the original post was
> a joke. You have humour in Oz?

Certainly we do, but jokes like the one you posted work a lot better when
they're based on fact. In any event I was responding to Anonymous, not you,
so you can relax.

--

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
Andreas Prilop

Randy Shrader
November 21st 03, 07:15 PM
"DRS" > wrote in message
...
> Keith Hobman > wrote in message
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, "T.R.H"
> > > wrote:
> >> DRS wrote:
> >>> Randy Shrader > wrote in message
> >>> [email protected]
> >>>
> >>> [...]
> >>>
> >>>> Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
> >>>
> >>> It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
> >>>
> >> *DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south
> >> to our suds!!
> >
> > It was an Oz comparison, but still stands.
> >
> > Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.
>
> Two things: one, the Fosters you get is brewed in Canada and isn't the
> genuine article; two, the reason we export Fosters is because no-one here
> will drink it. It's all a big con job (a bit like Stella Artois).
>
> --
>

I've heard that before . . . an Aussie friend of mine called Foster's
"kangaroo ****". He liked Molson products just fine, though.

Randy

DRS
November 21st 03, 07:20 PM
Randy Shrader > wrote in message
[email protected]
> "DRS" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Keith Hobman > wrote in message
>>

[...]

>>> Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.
>>
>> Two things: one, the Fosters you get is brewed in Canada and isn't
>> the genuine article; two, the reason we export Fosters is because
>> no-one here will drink it. It's all a big con job (a bit like
>> Stella Artois).
>
> I've heard that before . . . an Aussie friend of mine called Foster's
> "kangaroo ****". He liked Molson products just fine, though.

I hate Fosters (the genuine article). The most popular beer in the country
has to be Victoria Bitter, ironically also a Carlton & United product. I
reckon I'm not alone if I rank Crown Lager well ahead of Fosters as a lager.
Molson I don't know about, I was never in Canada long enough to find out.

--

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
Andreas Prilop

Proton Soup
November 21st 03, 07:26 PM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:15:59 GMT, "Randy Shrader"
> wrote:
>"DRS" > wrote in message
...
>> Keith Hobman > wrote in message
>>
>> > In article <[email protected]>, "T.R.H"
>> > > wrote:
>> >> DRS wrote:
>> >>> Randy Shrader > wrote in message
>> >>> [email protected]
>> >>>
>> >>> [...]
>> >>>
>> >>>> Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
>> >>>
>> >>> It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
>> >>>
>> >> *DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south
>> >> to our suds!!
>> >
>> > It was an Oz comparison, but still stands.
>> >
>> > Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.
>>
>> Two things: one, the Fosters you get is brewed in Canada and isn't the
>> genuine article; two, the reason we export Fosters is because no-one here
>> will drink it. It's all a big con job (a bit like Stella Artois).
>
>I've heard that before . . . an Aussie friend of mine called Foster's
>"kangaroo ****". He liked Molson products just fine, though.

I've heard the same about Corona, that it's considered something of a
low-grade working-man's beer in Mexico. Dos Equis is a nice brew,
though.

Proton Soup

Randy Shrader
November 21st 03, 08:58 PM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
...
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:15:59 GMT, "Randy Shrader"
> > wrote:
> >"DRS" > wrote in message
> ...
> >> Keith Hobman > wrote in message
> >>
> >> > In article <[email protected]>, "T.R.H"
> >> > > wrote:
> >> >> DRS wrote:
> >> >>> Randy Shrader > wrote in message
> >> >>> [email protected]
> >> >>>
> >> >>> [...]
> >> >>>
> >> >>>> Also, our beer comes in 5 liter cans.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> It wouldn't have to if it was up to par.
> >> >>>
> >> >> *DON'T* even think to compare that swill y'all call beer down south
> >> >> to our suds!!
> >> >
> >> > It was an Oz comparison, but still stands.
> >> >
> >> > Fosters is certainly a crappy, insipid beer.
> >>
> >> Two things: one, the Fosters you get is brewed in Canada and isn't the
> >> genuine article; two, the reason we export Fosters is because no-one
here
> >> will drink it. It's all a big con job (a bit like Stella Artois).
> >
> >I've heard that before . . . an Aussie friend of mine called Foster's
> >"kangaroo ****". He liked Molson products just fine, though.
>
> I've heard the same about Corona, that it's considered something of a
> low-grade working-man's beer in Mexico. Dos Equis is a nice brew,
> though.
>
> Proton Soup
>

Is Corona exported from Mexico or brewed under license in the US and Canada?
Maybe it just tastes better when it's not made with Mexican water :)

Randy

Chris Moorehead
November 21st 03, 10:56 PM
In article >,
says...
> (Keith Hobman) wrote
> > 4. Baseball is Canadian
>
> How so Keith. As I understand it baseball is watered down cricket
> compiled by Abner Doubleday.....was he Canadian?
>
> >
> > 7. Basketball is Canadian
>
> I read that basketball was invented by gym teacher who wanted his
> students to exercise during cold winter months. Was this gym teacher
> Canadian?

Dr James Naismith of Montreal, as any Duke graduate would know.


> > 8. Apple pie is Canadian
>
> I read it was invented by German immigrants. Did they immigrate to
> Canada?

Probably -- there are certainly enough of them here. The city of
Kitchener, Ontario, used to be called Berlin until it was changed in a
fit of anti-Teutonic sentiment during World War I. While the name is
gone, the place still shuts down each year during Oktoberfest.

> >
> > 11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
> > the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and
> > most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was
> > insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so
> > we came home and partied...Go figure..
>
> I read the British burned the White House down. No problem if I am
> wrong, but please consider doing it again. If you bother to make the
> trip stop at congress on your way out.....and the un-supreme court :).

This is a matter of some debate -- while the army was technically
"British", a significant proportion of its soldiers were Canadian-born,
including much of the officer corps. While Canada did not exist as a
country at the time, arguing that these soldiers were not "Canadian"
would be like declaring that George Washington & Co. were "British"
because the USA didn't exist as a country until after the American
Revolution.

And the British/Canadian/whatever army didn't really burn the White
House down, it only scorched it a bit. The whitewash that gave the
structure its new name was used to hide the burn marks. The Americans
did a more thorough job on the city of York (Toronto).

Regardless of the real story on the burning of Washington and/or York,
it's pretty much undisputed that William Lyon Mackenzie WAS hammered
most of the time. Of course, so was our first Prime Minister, Sir John
A. Macdonald...

> > 12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany.
>
> LOL

I thought that was Kinshasa, Zaire/Congo/whatever they're calling it
now.

> > 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
> > withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>
> Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
> successfully invaded was 1066.

I suppose that, technically, the British (actually the Saxons)
surrendered to the Normans after the Battle of Hastings. Things went
very bad for the British after Harold II looked up at the wrong time.

> > 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
> > zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
> > each year.
>
> Didn't Louis Pasteur ( French ) invent penicillian?

More importantly, we invented poutine. When I lived in North Carolina,
I tried to explain to the locals what poutine was -- generally, they
found it even more revolting than chitlins.

Chris

--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
Toronto, Canada


"Where did this idea come from that everybody deserves
free education, free medical care, free whatever?
It comes from Moscow, from Russia. It comes straight
out of the pit of hell."
~ Texas Rep. Debbie Riddle

Steve
November 22nd 03, 05:46 AM
(Keith Hobman) wrote
> NOTE: THIS IS THE LAST TIME I POST AN OT JOKE TO THIS LIST. TOO MANY
> PEOPLE WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR! IT WAS A JOKE - NOT A SCIENTIFIC OR
> HISTORIC TREATISE. LIGHTNE UP!!!
>
> Sheesh.

LOL!. Welcome to MFW :) Errrr.......sorry about stamping out your joke :)

Steve

Lucas Buck
November 22nd 03, 06:23 AM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:56:40 -0500, Chris Moorehead > wrote:

>And the British/Canadian/whatever army didn't really burn the White
>House down, it only scorched it a bit. The whitewash that gave the
>structure its new name was used to hide the burn marks. The Americans
>did a more thorough job on the city of York (Toronto).

And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.

>> > 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
>> > withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
>>
>> Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
>> successfully invaded was 1066.
>
>I suppose that, technically, the British (actually the Saxons)
>surrendered to the Normans after the Battle of Hastings. Things went
>very bad for the British after Harold II looked up at the wrong time.

ISTI MIRANT STELLUM!

>> > 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
>> > zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
>> > each year.
>>
>> Didn't Louis Pasteur ( French ) invent penicillian?
>
>More importantly, we invented poutine.

Proud Canucks, indeed.

Chris Moorehead
November 22nd 03, 12:21 PM
In article >,
says...
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:56:40 -0500, Chris Moorehead > wrote:
>
> >And the British/Canadian/whatever army didn't really burn the White
> >House down, it only scorched it a bit. The whitewash that gave the
> >structure its new name was used to hide the burn marks. The Americans
> >did a more thorough job on the city of York (Toronto).
>
> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.

The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.

Of course, the Americans also have a "World Series" in which no other
country (except some Dominicans & Puerto Ricans in the employment of
Canadian club owners) participates.

> >> > 13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or
> >> > withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.
> >>
> >> Wouldn't that be the UK itself. I read that the last time England was
> >> successfully invaded was 1066.
> >
> >I suppose that, technically, the British (actually the Saxons)
> >surrendered to the Normans after the Battle of Hastings. Things went
> >very bad for the British after Harold II looked up at the wrong time.
>
> ISTI MIRANT STELLUM!
>
> >> > 21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin,
> >> > zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives
> >> > each year.
> >>
> >> Didn't Louis Pasteur ( French ) invent penicillian?
> >
> >More importantly, we invented poutine.
>
> Proud Canucks, indeed.

I was going to add Pablum as well, given my affinity for it these days.
Unfortunately, my son is not the dainty eater that his sister is, so I
end up wearing most of it.

Chris


--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
Toronto, Canada


"Where did this idea come from that everybody deserves
free education, free medical care, free whatever?
It comes from Moscow, from Russia. It comes straight
out of the pit of hell."
~ Texas Rep. Debbie Riddle

Proton Soup
November 22nd 03, 08:02 PM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
> wrote:

>
>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
>
>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.

I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.

Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.

Proton Soup

Lucas Buck
November 22nd 03, 09:43 PM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead > wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:56:40 -0500, Chris Moorehead > wrote:
>>
>> >And the British/Canadian/whatever army didn't really burn the White
>> >House down, it only scorched it a bit. The whitewash that gave the
>> >structure its new name was used to hide the burn marks. The Americans
>> >did a more thorough job on the city of York (Toronto).
>>
>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
>
>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
>
>Of course, the Americans also have a "World Series" in which no other
>country (except some Dominicans & Puerto Ricans in the employment of
>Canadian club owners) participates.

USA annexes Montreal and Toronto - film at eleven.

Lucas Buck
November 22nd 03, 09:45 PM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:02:18 -0600, Proton Soup > wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
> wrote:
>
>>
>>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
>>
>>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
>>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
>>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
>>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
>>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
>
>I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.
>
>Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
>those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
>were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
>side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.


That was designed to blow up *dams*. They had to design a charge whose
container could hold a backspin rotation so that it would "roll" down the
face of the dam and stay up against the dam as it blew.

John Hanson
November 22nd 03, 10:52 PM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:45:36 GMT, Lucas Buck
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:02:18 -0600, Proton Soup > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
>>>
>>>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
>>>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
>>>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
>>>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
>>>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
>>
>>I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.
>>
>>Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
>>those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
>>were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
>>side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.
>
>
>That was designed to blow up *dams*. They had to design a charge whose
>container could hold a backspin rotation so that it would "roll" down the
>face of the dam and stay up against the dam as it blew.
>
Is this the bomb that Joe Kennedy was trying to drop when he died?

Proton Soup
November 23rd 03, 01:29 AM
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:45:36 GMT, Lucas Buck
> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:02:18 -0600, Proton Soup > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
>>>
>>>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
>>>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
>>>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
>>>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
>>>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
>>
>>I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.
>>
>>Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
>>those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
>>were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
>>side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.
>
>
>That was designed to blow up *dams*. They had to design a charge whose
>container could hold a backspin rotation so that it would "roll" down the
>face of the dam and stay up against the dam as it blew.
>

Now that you mention it, I remember something about that. But there
was also a bunker they were trying to get at from the side.

Proton Soup

Lee Michaels
November 23rd 03, 03:24 AM
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:45:36 GMT, Lucas Buck
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:02:18 -0600, Proton Soup > wrote:
> >
> >>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
> >>>
> >>>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
> >>>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
> >>>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
> >>>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
> >>>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
> >>
> >>I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.
> >>
> >>Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
> >>those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
> >>were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
> >>side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.
> >
> >
> >That was designed to blow up *dams*. They had to design a charge whose
> >container could hold a backspin rotation so that it would "roll" down the
> >face of the dam and stay up against the dam as it blew.
> >

IIRC the whole purpose of the bouncing bomb was to bounce over the nets that
were stretched acrosse the reservoir to catch and detonate torpedos. They
could just drop a torpedo, which was easily available, into the reservoir.
This would explode against the dam with sufficient force to cause strutural
failure. All that water in the reservoir makes for a great stressor.

The bouncing bomb would bounce over the nets and hit the dam. The mission
that they were used on had multiple planes with these bombs. I think each
plane had more than one bomb as well.

Seems to me that one of the planes was shot down. They deployed most of the
bombs. Most of them did not bounce far enough or bounced right over the dam.
But at least one hit its target and it had the predicted results.

John Hanson
November 23rd 03, 01:32 PM
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:24:18 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:45:36 GMT, Lucas Buck
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:02:18 -0600, Proton Soup > wrote:
>> >
>> >>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
>> > wrote:
>> >>
>> >>>
>> >>>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
>> >>>
>> >>>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW II,
>> >>>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam, designed
>> >>>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures on
>> >>>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
>> >>>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
>> >>
>> >>I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.
>> >>
>> >>Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
>> >>those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
>> >>were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
>> >>side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.
>> >
>> >
>> >That was designed to blow up *dams*. They had to design a charge whose
>> >container could hold a backspin rotation so that it would "roll" down the
>> >face of the dam and stay up against the dam as it blew.
>> >
>
>IIRC the whole purpose of the bouncing bomb was to bounce over the nets that
>were stretched acrosse the reservoir to catch and detonate torpedos. They
>could just drop a torpedo, which was easily available, into the reservoir.
>This would explode against the dam with sufficient force to cause strutural
>failure. All that water in the reservoir makes for a great stressor.
>
>The bouncing bomb would bounce over the nets and hit the dam. The mission
>that they were used on had multiple planes with these bombs. I think each
>plane had more than one bomb as well.
>
>Seems to me that one of the planes was shot down. They deployed most of the
>bombs. Most of them did not bounce far enough or bounced right over the dam.
>But at least one hit its target and it had the predicted results.
>
>
Was Joe Kennedy flying that plane?

Lee Michaels
November 23rd 03, 05:17 PM
"John Hanson" > wrote in message
...
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:24:18 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
> > wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
> >> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:45:36 GMT, Lucas Buck
> >> > wrote:
> >>
> >> >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:02:18 -0600, Proton Soup >
wrote:
> >> >
> >> >>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:21:37 -0500, Chris Moorehead
> >> > wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >>>
> >> >>>> And now that we've tested MOAB, them Canadians had better behave.
> >> >>>
> >> >>>The MOAB is a typical American exaggeration. Towards the end of WW
II,
> >> >>>the British developed a 22,000 lb bomb called the Grand Slam,
designed
> >> >>>to penetrate submarine pens (possibly the most permanent structures
on
> >> >>>Earth -- Denmark still hasn't been able to destroy theirs). And the
> >> >>>British generally hit their targets, rather than their allies.
> >> >>
> >> >>I like MOAB, it shows we have a sense of humor.
> >> >>
> >> >>Were those Grand Slam bombs just a drop and plop design, or one of
> >> >>those water-skipping bombs. I saw a show on those once, where they
> >> >>were trying to get into a massive concrete German bunker from the
> >> >>side, as the top was too heavily reinforced. Very clever.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >That was designed to blow up *dams*. They had to design a charge
whose
> >> >container could hold a backspin rotation so that it would "roll" down
the
> >> >face of the dam and stay up against the dam as it blew.
> >> >
> >
> >IIRC the whole purpose of the bouncing bomb was to bounce over the nets
that
> >were stretched acrosse the reservoir to catch and detonate torpedos.
They
> >could just drop a torpedo, which was easily available, into the
reservoir.
> >This would explode against the dam with sufficient force to cause
strutural
> >failure. All that water in the reservoir makes for a great stressor.
> >
> >The bouncing bomb would bounce over the nets and hit the dam. The mission
> >that they were used on had multiple planes with these bombs. I think each
> >plane had more than one bomb as well.
> >
> >Seems to me that one of the planes was shot down. They deployed most of
the
> >bombs. Most of them did not bounce far enough or bounced right over the
dam.
> >But at least one hit its target and it had the predicted results.
> >
> >
> Was Joe Kennedy flying that plane?
>

My memory is very foggy on this. I know that Joe Kennedy was killed on an
important mission with some kind of experimental bomb. I just don't think it
was this one.