PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press and shoulder problem

somebuddy
August 8th 06, 05:14 AM
Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem.
I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again. Do I
have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative exercises? Any
rehabilitating exercises?

A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach (had
to stay very close to the bathroom!).

Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

JMW
August 8th 06, 06:19 AM
"somebuddy" > wrote:

>Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
>rotator cuff?

Probably.

>Does anybody else have this problem?

Yes.

>I stopped doing heavy
>bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem.
>I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again.

Not surprising. Different arm positions affect the limitation in the
size of the subacromial space, which is where the impingement is
probably located.

>Do I
>have to stop straight bar bench altogether?

Maybe.

>Any alternative exercises?

Dumbbell bench press with the dumbbell handles parallel to your body.
Reducing the internal rotation of the shoulder tends to reduce the
impingement. Pec deck seems to work OK, too. Anything that works the
pectorals but avoids internal rotation of the shoulder.

I say that partially from studying the anatomy and reading a lot of
articles on the subject, but also from having the same problem and
experimenting with different movements -- what hurts and what doesn't.

>Any
>rehabilitating exercises?

You can try the standard rotator cuff exercises, and they do
strengthen the rotator cuff muscles, but I'm not convinced that they
really do anything for an impingement.

>A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
>working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
>was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach (had
>to stay very close to the bathroom!).

I take it daily and have never had a problem. Were you taking huges
doses? If so, remember that after a few months, half the standard
daily dose should be enough. More is not necessarily better.

Creatine, on the other hand, will give me the Hershey squirts if I
take any more than 5 grams at once.

Massotherapy may help, too.

>Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

You're welcome.

somebuddy
August 8th 06, 06:49 AM
Thanks. What brand of Glucosamine do you take and what dose? I weigh 240
lbs.

"JMW" > wrote in message
> "somebuddy" > wrote:
>
>>Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
>>rotator cuff?
>
> Probably.
>
>>Does anybody else have this problem?
>
> Yes.
>
>>I stopped doing heavy
>>bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no
>>problem.
>>I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again.
>
> Not surprising. Different arm positions affect the limitation in the
> size of the subacromial space, which is where the impingement is
> probably located.
>
>>Do I
>>have to stop straight bar bench altogether?
>
> Maybe.
>
>>Any alternative exercises?
>
> Dumbbell bench press with the dumbbell handles parallel to your body.
> Reducing the internal rotation of the shoulder tends to reduce the
> impingement. Pec deck seems to work OK, too. Anything that works the
> pectorals but avoids internal rotation of the shoulder.
>
> I say that partially from studying the anatomy and reading a lot of
> articles on the subject, but also from having the same problem and
> experimenting with different movements -- what hurts and what doesn't.
>
>>Any
>>rehabilitating exercises?
>
> You can try the standard rotator cuff exercises, and they do
> strengthen the rotator cuff muscles, but I'm not convinced that they
> really do anything for an impingement.
>
>>A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
>>working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
>>was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach
>>(had
>>to stay very close to the bathroom!).
>
> I take it daily and have never had a problem. Were you taking huges
> doses? If so, remember that after a few months, half the standard
> daily dose should be enough. More is not necessarily better.
>
> Creatine, on the other hand, will give me the Hershey squirts if I
> take any more than 5 grams at once.
>
> Massotherapy may help, too.
>
>>Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.
>
> You're welcome.

David Cohen
August 8th 06, 06:50 AM
"JMW" > wrote
> "somebuddy" > wrote:
>
>>Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
>>rotator cuff?
>
> Probably.
>
>>Does anybody else have this problem?
>
> Yes.
>
>>I stopped doing heavy
>>bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no
>>problem.
>>I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again.
>
> Not surprising. Different arm positions affect the limitation in the
> size of the subacromial space, which is where the impingement is
> probably located.
>
>>Do I
>>have to stop straight bar bench altogether?
>
> Maybe.
>
>>Any alternative exercises?
>
> Dumbbell bench press with the dumbbell handles parallel to your body.
> Reducing the internal rotation of the shoulder tends to reduce the
> impingement. Pec deck seems to work OK, too. Anything that works the
> pectorals but avoids internal rotation of the shoulder.
>
> I say that partially from studying the anatomy and reading a lot of
> articles on the subject, but also from having the same problem and
> experimenting with different movements -- what hurts and what doesn't.
>
>>Any
>>rehabilitating exercises?
>
> You can try the standard rotator cuff exercises, and they do
> strengthen the rotator cuff muscles, but I'm not convinced that they
> really do anything for an impingement.

Agreed. My orthopedic surgeon had a solution, but I declined. Hate surgery.
Maybe some year, if it gets much worse.

Had to visit a physical therapist for rotator cuff rehab, at the insistence
of my insurance. I showed her the rehab I was doing, from "The Seven Minute
Rotator Cuff Solution", which is 15 years old. She had nothing to add.

David

somebuddy
August 8th 06, 07:04 AM
Is this the book you're talking about

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0944831257/002-3994486-0021636?v=glance&n=283155

How bad was your problem?

"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "JMW" > wrote
>> "somebuddy" > wrote:
>>
>>>Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
>>>rotator cuff?
>>
>> Probably.
>>
>>>Does anybody else have this problem?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>>I stopped doing heavy
>>>bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no
>>>problem.
>>>I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again.
>>
>> Not surprising. Different arm positions affect the limitation in the
>> size of the subacromial space, which is where the impingement is
>> probably located.
>>
>>>Do I
>>>have to stop straight bar bench altogether?
>>
>> Maybe.
>>
>>>Any alternative exercises?
>>
>> Dumbbell bench press with the dumbbell handles parallel to your body.
>> Reducing the internal rotation of the shoulder tends to reduce the
>> impingement. Pec deck seems to work OK, too. Anything that works the
>> pectorals but avoids internal rotation of the shoulder.
>>
>> I say that partially from studying the anatomy and reading a lot of
>> articles on the subject, but also from having the same problem and
>> experimenting with different movements -- what hurts and what doesn't.
>>
>>>Any
>>>rehabilitating exercises?
>>
>> You can try the standard rotator cuff exercises, and they do
>> strengthen the rotator cuff muscles, but I'm not convinced that they
>> really do anything for an impingement.
>
> Agreed. My orthopedic surgeon had a solution, but I declined. Hate
> surgery. Maybe some year, if it gets much worse.
>
> Had to visit a physical therapist for rotator cuff rehab, at the
> insistence of my insurance. I showed her the rehab I was doing, from "The
> Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution", which is 15 years old. She had
> nothing to add.
>
> David

Art S
August 8th 06, 07:40 AM
"somebuddy" > wrote in message ...
> Is this the book you're talking about
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0944831257/002-3994486-0021636?v=glance&n=283155

Yes, although it is cheaper here:
http://homegym.stores.yahoo.net/7rocu.html

Art

David Cohen
August 8th 06, 08:08 AM
"somebuddy" > wrote
> Is this the book you're talking about
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0944831257/002-3994486-0021636?v=glance&n=283155

Yes. Fifteen years old, and the PT didn't have anything to add to it. Good
book.

> How bad was your problem?

Is. Bad enough to have physical therapists and orthopedic surgeons involved.

That book's the next best thing to surgery. And a lot less risky. And no
recovery. And no lost time from work.

Try the book.

As John pointed out, probably won't help a true impingement, but, helps in
other ways. Worth a shot.

David

> "David Cohen" > wrote

>>> Probably.

>>> Yes.

>>> Not surprising. Different arm positions affect the limitation in the
>>> size of the subacromial space, which is where the impingement is
>>> probably located.

>>> Maybe.

>>> Dumbbell bench press with the dumbbell handles parallel to your body.
>>> Reducing the internal rotation of the shoulder tends to reduce the
>>> impingement. Pec deck seems to work OK, too. Anything that works the
>>> pectorals but avoids internal rotation of the shoulder.
>>>
>>> I say that partially from studying the anatomy and reading a lot of
>>> articles on the subject, but also from having the same problem and
>>> experimenting with different movements -- what hurts and what doesn't.

>>> You can try the standard rotator cuff exercises, and they do
>>> strengthen the rotator cuff muscles, but I'm not convinced that they
>>> really do anything for an impingement.
>>
>> Agreed. My orthopedic surgeon had a solution, but I declined. Hate
>> surgery. Maybe some year, if it gets much worse.
>>
>> Had to visit a physical therapist for rotator cuff rehab, at the
>> insistence of my insurance. I showed her the rehab I was doing, from "The
>> Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution", which is 15 years old. She had
>> nothing to add.
>>
>> David

Marv
August 8th 06, 09:07 AM
somebuddy wrote:
> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
> rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
> bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem.
> I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again. Do I
> have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative exercises? Any
> rehabilitating exercises?
>
> A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
> working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
> was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach (had
> to stay very close to the bathroom!).
>
> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

I had the same problem about 4 years back. screwed up my left shoulder
doing heavy military presses.

I had no choice but to resort to doing benches with dumbells. My physio
advised rotator cuff exercises before every work out. It helped to a
certain extent but I can't lift more than 120 pounds (used to max 250
earlier). 4 years have passed and I can still feel slight
twitching(faint) pain sensations if I go heavy.

I alwasy wanted to have that beefed up look, but guess I'll have to
settle with a slim atheletic one instead :(

Basically my gyming life is f***ed. My only adivse is go easy on the
injury, do not agravate it. good luck.

JMW
August 8th 06, 12:34 PM
"somebuddy" > wrote:

>Thanks. What brand of Glucosamine do you take and what dose? I weigh 240
>lbs.

Member's Mark, the Sam's Club Brand.

JamesG
August 8th 06, 01:44 PM
somebuddy wrote:
> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
> rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
> bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem.
> I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again. Do I
> have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative exercises? Any
> rehabilitating exercises?
> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

My shoulder used to hurt quite a bit and my solution was to not bench
press for around six months while I did incline presses and pec deck.
I also did dips very carefully. I gained on all of these and by the
time I went back to bench pressing I felt fine and was stronger. I
have taken Glucosamine when my knees act up and it seems to work
somewhat.

Good Luck,
James

Janna
August 8th 06, 03:29 PM
>Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
>rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
>bench for a while, but it didn't help.

What about moving away from heavy weights and doing something like pilates? If
you are finding the pilates workouts too easy you can add light weights. You
might find that the total body workout causes less strain on your shoulder.

I've found the articles on http://www.pilates-shop.net/pilates-articles.htm to
be very helpful when I moved from free weights to pilates.
HTH

David Cohen
August 8th 06, 05:10 PM
Janna wrote:
> >Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
> >rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
> >bench for a while, but it didn't help.
>
> What about moving away from heavy weights and doing something like pilates? If
> you are finding the pilates workouts too easy you can add light weights. You
> might find that the total body workout causes less strain on your shoulder.
>
> I've found the articles on http://www.pilates-shop.net/pilates-articles.htm to
> be very helpful when I moved from free weights to pilates.
> HTH

He could also cut off his testicles and take up interior design, but I
wouldn't recommend that, either.

David

Steve Freides
August 8th 06, 05:25 PM
"somebuddy" > wrote in message
> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it
> my rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing
> heavy bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press,
> no problem. I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no
> problem again. Do I have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any
> alternative exercises? Any rehabilitating exercises?
>
> A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
> working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember
> what it was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset
> my stomach (had to stay very close to the bathroom!).
>
> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

You can try to work on your bench press technique to help your shoulder
in addition to, or as opposed to, separate rehab exercises.
Specifically, try to focus on pulling your shoulders down into their
sockets and pull your shoulder blades together in the back. Put another
way, don't let the shoulders come up or forward. Put yet another way,
try to pull the bar apart or try to break it in half - both of those
concepts should activate the right muscles.

Best if you go back to an empty bar, work on the technique changes, and
add weight gradually until it feels hard to keep the different
technique, which will likely be quite a bit less weight in total than
you're using now. Work your way back up from there.

Disclaimer: I don't bench regularly. But if you talk to people who've
managed to bench a lot and heavy, I think you'll find these ideas well
known and well received.

Just my opinion.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

August 8th 06, 07:30 PM
somebuddy wrote:
> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
> rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
> bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem.
> I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again. Do I
> have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative exercises? Any
> rehabilitating exercises?
>
> A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
> working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
> was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach (had
> to stay very close to the bathroom!).
>
> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

I am in the same club. No more bench for me. Dumbell presses, cable
rows, dips, pec deck. Thats it.

2ofdem
August 9th 06, 01:54 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "somebuddy" > wrote in message
> > Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it
> > my rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing
> > heavy bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press,
> > no problem. I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no
> > problem again. Do I have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any
> > alternative exercises? Any rehabilitating exercises?
> >
> > A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
> > working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember
> > what it was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset
> > my stomach (had to stay very close to the bathroom!).
> >
> > Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.
>
> You can try to work on your bench press technique to help your shoulder
> in addition to, or as opposed to, separate rehab exercises.
> Specifically, try to focus on pulling your shoulders down into their
> sockets and pull your shoulder blades together in the back. Put another
> way, don't let the shoulders come up or forward. Put yet another way,
> try to pull the bar apart or try to break it in half - both of those
> concepts should activate the right muscles.
>
> Best if you go back to an empty bar, work on the technique changes, and
> add weight gradually until it feels hard to keep the different
> technique, which will likely be quite a bit less weight in total than
> you're using now. Work your way back up from there.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't bench regularly. But if you talk to people who've
> managed to bench a lot and heavy, I think you'll find these ideas well
> known and well received.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

I used similar techniques after my shoulder dislocation I was very
strict on form and kept it tight and obviously less weight.

Fraser Johnston
August 9th 06, 03:36 PM
"somebuddy" > wrote in message
> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
> rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy bench
> for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem. I can do
> heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again. Do I have to stop
> straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative exercises? Any rehabilitating
> exercises?
>
> A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be working.
> But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it was) and
> switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach (had to stay
> very close to the bathroom!).
>
> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

I tore my rotator cuff a few months back in a jiu jitsu comp. Now when I bench
it feels like someone is sticking a knife in my shoulder and twisting. It is
gradually getting better. Your pain sounds similar. Either way, see a doctor.
Get back on glucosamine, it's good stuff. Experiment with brands until you get
one that agrees with you. It takees ages to work and you have to stay on it.

Fraser

Fraser Johnston
August 9th 06, 03:39 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> somebuddy wrote:
>> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
>> rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
>> bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no problem.
>> I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem again. Do I
>> have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative exercises? Any
>> rehabilitating exercises?
>>
>> A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
>> working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
>> was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach (had
>> to stay very close to the bathroom!).
>>
>> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.
>
> I am in the same club. No more bench for me. Dumbell presses, cable
> rows, dips, pec deck. Thats it.

I just started benching really light. You feel like a bit of a dick when you
are benching light but you can go for mega reps. ****ty blood flow through the
shoulder is one of the main reasons they take so long to heal. I figure
anything that gets blood into the area is a good thing.

Fraser

somebuddy
August 12th 06, 06:52 AM
Thanks everybody for valuable comments.

"somebuddy" > wrote in message
> Any time I do heavy bench my right shoulder starts annoying me. Is it my
> rotator cuff? Does anybody else have this problem? I stopped doing heavy
> bench for a while, but it didn't help. I can do overhead press, no
> problem. I can do heavy incline press (10 reps of 255 lbs), no problem
> again. Do I have to stop straight bar bench altogether? Any alternative
> exercises? Any rehabilitating exercises?
>
> A couple of years ago I tried taking Glucosamine and it seemed to be
> working. But I ran out of the brand I was taking (I can't remember what it
> was) and switched to Twain Lab Glucosamine which would upset my stomach
> (had to stay very close to the bathroom!).
>
> Any information in this regard is very much appreciated.

Curt James
August 12th 06, 05:20 PM
Cohen wrote:
[...]

re rotator cuff muscles

> <snip> My orthopedic surgeon had a solution, but I declined.
> Hate surgery. Maybe some year, if it gets much worse.
>
> Had to visit a physical therapist for rotator cuff rehab, at the
> insistence of my insurance. I showed her the rehab I was doing,
> from "The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution", which is 15 years
> old. She had nothing to add.

I worked in a factory where most of us threw stuff onto the conveyor
belts rather than use the appropriate lifts. It was quicker, but it led
to tennis elbow in both of my elbows. Couldn't squeeze a wash cloth
without pain (BUT, UNLIKE THE CANDY ASS SICKBAY COMMANDOS, I KEPT
WORKING! AND I LIKED IT!). Epicondylitis is what the physical therapist
called it. She provided therapy that eventually erased the problem (or
I healed on my own or, yeah, more likely a combination of the two).

Never heard of (or, yes, forgot) "The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff
Solution" and will have to look for that.

I do incline and machine press and not flat bench because I had some
twinge action in that area. Solved it or worked around it in much the
way that Williams described (dumbbell handles parallel to the body).
Hey, whaddyaknow, me on topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/8e2a899fe3124a1f?hl=en&
aka http://tinyurl.com/knrtw

Anyway, thanks for the tip, Cohen.