PDA

View Full Version : Static Contraction Training

David
August 27th 06, 03:02 AM
Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training

http://www.explosivefitness.com/

David Cohen
August 27th 06, 06:54 AM
"David" > wrote
> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>
> http://www.explosivefitness.com/

Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was wrong? You
just need the rack!

But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine, because
Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.

August 27th 06, 07:31 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "David" > wrote
>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>
>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>
> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was wrong? You
> just need the rack!
>
> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine, because
> Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.

B-b-b-but they say you can complete a full workout in under 15 minutes.
Just wondered if anyone here has any direct experience with this method

David Cohen
August 27th 06, 08:28 AM
"David" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> "David" > wrote
>>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>>
>>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>>
>> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was wrong?
>> You just need the rack!
>>
>> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine, because
>> Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.
>
> B-b-b-but they say you can complete a full workout in under 15 minutes.

ROM, 4 minutes.

A bit more expensive, but, time IS money.

> Just wondered if anyone here has any direct experience with this method

Charles Atlas.

And the original Atlas.

August 27th 06, 08:46 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "David" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was wrong?
>>> You just need the rack!
>>>
>>> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine, because
>>> Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.
>>
>> B-b-b-but they say you can complete a full workout in under 15 minutes.
>
> ROM, 4 minutes.
>
> A bit more expensive, but, time IS money.
>
>> Just wondered if anyone here has any direct experience with this method
>
> Charles Atlas.
>
> And the original Atlas.

B-b-b-ut what do you think of this concept of 'static contractions'?

Charles
August 27th 06, 09:05 AM
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:02:36 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>
>http://www.explosivefitness.com/

If I remember rightly, Charles Atlas did this commercially much
cheaper, as he didn't require you use any equipment with his Dynamic
Tension programme.

Static Contraction Training? In a nutshell, it's a heap of crap!
Basically, you need to shorten/contract a muscle against external
resistance through its full range of movement (ROM) to exercise and
strengthen it.

Have a great Sunday Oz - you know I will! ;o)

David
August 27th 06, 09:14 AM
"Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:02:36 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>
>>http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>>

> If I remember rightly, Charles Atlas did this commercially much
> cheaper, as he didn't require you use any equipment with his Dynamic
> Tension programme.
>
> Static Contraction Training? In a nutshell, it's a heap of crap!
> Basically, you need to shorten/contract a muscle against external
> resistance through its full range of movement (ROM) to exercise and
> strengthen it.
>
> Have a great Sunday Oz - you know I will! ;o)

Yes but the way I understand it you do a partial rom and then hold for some
seconds - I talked to a guy who has had (anecdotally of course) great
success doing this method for a few months

Charles
August 27th 06, 09:25 AM
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:14:46 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>"Charles" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:02:36 +1000, "David" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>>
>>>http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>>>

>> If I remember rightly, Charles Atlas did this commercially much
>> cheaper, as he didn't require you use any equipment with his Dynamic
>> Tension programme.
>>
>> Static Contraction Training? In a nutshell, it's a heap of crap!
>> Basically, you need to shorten/contract a muscle against external
>> resistance through its full range of movement (ROM) to exercise and
>> strengthen it.
>>
>> Have a great Sunday Oz - you know I will! ;o)
>
>Yes but the way I understand it you do a partial rom and then hold for some
>seconds - I talked to a guy who has had (anecdotally of course) great
>success doing this method for a few months

My criticism of Static Contraction Training, and its earlier
manifestation in the non equipment using Dynamic Tension, is based
entirely on anecdotal evidence!

Crap is crap mate, as proven by the old Australian adage to describe
someone of great intelligence:

"He was all about like a mad woman's ****".

HTH! ;o)

HAGS! (Oops - your Sunday is already terminally ****ed!)

David
August 27th 06, 09:49 AM
"Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:14:46 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Charles" > wrote in message

>>> If I remember rightly, Charles Atlas did this commercially much
>>> cheaper, as he didn't require you use any equipment with his Dynamic
>>> Tension programme.
>>>
>>> Static Contraction Training? In a nutshell, it's a heap of crap!
>>> Basically, you need to shorten/contract a muscle against external
>>> resistance through its full range of movement (ROM) to exercise and
>>> strengthen it.
>>>
>>> Have a great Sunday Oz - you know I will! ;o)
>>
>>Yes but the way I understand it you do a partial rom and then hold for
>>some
>>seconds - I talked to a guy who has had (anecdotally of course) great
>>success doing this method for a few months
>>

> My criticism of Static Contraction Training, and its earlier
> manifestation in the non equipment using Dynamic Tension, is based
> entirely on anecdotal evidence!
>
> Crap is crap mate, as proven by the old Australian adage to describe
> someone of great intelligence:
>
> "He was all about like a mad woman's ****".
>
> HTH! ;o)
>
> HAGS! (Oops - your Sunday is already terminally ****ed!)

OK I think I see your point - (Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well
however)

Jason Earl
August 27th 06, 05:12 PM
"David Cohen" > writes:

> "David" > wrote
>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>
>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>
> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was
> wrong? You just need the rack!
>
> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine,
> because Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.

I think that if you count "recovery time" with the ROM that the two
exercise methodologies probably come out taking approximately the same
amount of time. After four minutes of serious exercise in the ROM you
aren't going to simply pop out and get on with your life. Static
contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.

Still I would guess that 4 minutes plus recovery on the ROM would be
more effective than 15 minutes of clenching your muscles.

Jason

David Cohen
August 27th 06, 06:06 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > writes:
>> "David" > wrote
>>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>>
>>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>>
>> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was
>> wrong? You just need the rack!
>>
>> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine,
>> because Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.
>
> I think that if you count "recovery time" with the ROM that the two
> exercise methodologies probably come out taking approximately the same
> amount of time. After four minutes of serious exercise in the ROM you
> aren't going to simply pop out and get on with your life. Static
> contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.

Doesn't speak well of static contractions.

> Still I would guess that 4 minutes plus recovery on the ROM would be
> more effective than 15 minutes of clenching your muscles.

I've had seizure patients tell me, after they've stopped seizing and were
"with the program" once again, that they were sore all over.

"Epilepsy Contraction Training", coming soon to a bookstore near you.

David

Steve Freides
August 27th 06, 06:39 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Jason Earl" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > writes:
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was
>>> wrong? You just need the rack!
>>>
>>> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine,
>>> because Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.
>>
>> I think that if you count "recovery time" with the ROM that the two
>> exercise methodologies probably come out taking approximately the
>> same
>> amount of time. After four minutes of serious exercise in the ROM
>> you
>> aren't going to simply pop out and get on with your life. Static
>> contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.
>
> Doesn't speak well of static contractions.
>
>> Still I would guess that 4 minutes plus recovery on the ROM would be
>> more effective than 15 minutes of clenching your muscles.
>
> I've had seizure patients tell me, after they've stopped seizing and
> were "with the program" once again, that they were sore all over.
>
> "Epilepsy Contraction Training", coming soon to a bookstore near you.

Is there a drug that will induce seizures? You could sell the "miracle
product" to induce seizures along with a book about exactly how to take
it, what to think of during your seizures to maximize results. I think
we may have your next career here. Tentative book title:

Seize Your Strength

Seizure - Seize Your - get it? Kind of like Hoof-Hearted.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

JMW
August 27th 06, 07:14 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"Jason Earl" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > writes:
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was
>>> wrong? You just need the rack!
>>>
>>> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine,
>>> because Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.
>>
>> I think that if you count "recovery time" with the ROM that the two
>> exercise methodologies probably come out taking approximately the same
>> amount of time. After four minutes of serious exercise in the ROM you
>> aren't going to simply pop out and get on with your life. Static
>> contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.
>
>Doesn't speak well of static contractions.
>
>> Still I would guess that 4 minutes plus recovery on the ROM would be
>> more effective than 15 minutes of clenching your muscles.
>
>I've had seizure patients tell me, after they've stopped seizing and were
>"with the program" once again, that they were sore all over.
>
>"Epilepsy Contraction Training", coming soon to a bookstore near you.

A spasmodic cough is great for the abs.

David Cohen
August 27th 06, 08:36 PM
"JMW" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>>> I think that if you count "recovery time" with the ROM that the two
>>> exercise methodologies probably come out taking approximately the same
>>> amount of time. After four minutes of serious exercise in the ROM you
>>> aren't going to simply pop out and get on with your life. Static
>>> contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.
>>
>>Doesn't speak well of static contractions.
>>
>>> Still I would guess that 4 minutes plus recovery on the ROM would be
>>> more effective than 15 minutes of clenching your muscles.
>>
>>I've had seizure patients tell me, after they've stopped seizing and were
>>"with the program" once again, that they were sore all over.
>>
>>"Epilepsy Contraction Training", coming soon to a bookstore near you.
>
> A spasmodic cough is great for the abs.

Hell, yeah! A good cough can break a rib. That's high intensity, babeee!!

David

David Cohen
August 27th 06, 08:40 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote

>>> I think that if you count "recovery time" with the ROM that the two
>>> exercise methodologies probably come out taking approximately the same
>>> amount of time. After four minutes of serious exercise in the ROM you
>>> aren't going to simply pop out and get on with your life. Static
>>> contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.
>>
>> Doesn't speak well of static contractions.
>>
>>> Still I would guess that 4 minutes plus recovery on the ROM would be
>>> more effective than 15 minutes of clenching your muscles.
>>
>> I've had seizure patients tell me, after they've stopped seizing and were
>> "with the program" once again, that they were sore all over.
>>
>> "Epilepsy Contraction Training", coming soon to a bookstore near you.
>
> Is there a drug that will induce seizures? You could sell the "miracle
> product" to induce seizures along with a book about exactly how to take
> it, what to think of during your seizures to maximize results. I think we
> may have your next career here. Tentative book title:
>
> Seize Your Strength

I don't know. There is a danger that it could get popular with a small, but
insanely loyal, group of people, who would worship me and talk about me all
the time on the internet and shill my outrageously expensive books.

I wouldn't want that. I'm too modest.

David

Steve Freides
August 27th 06, 08:40 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "JMW" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>>"Jason Earl" > wrote

>>>Doesn't speak well of static contractions.

>>>I've had seizure patients tell me, after they've stopped seizing and
>>>were
>>>"with the program" once again, that they were sore all over.
>>>
>>>"Epilepsy Contraction Training", coming soon to a bookstore near you.
>>
>> A spasmodic cough is great for the abs.
>
> Hell, yeah! A good cough can break a rib. That's high intensity,
> babeee!!

[raises hand] - I did that when I had pneumonia a few years ago. Not
fun. Mine was in the back.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David
August 27th 06, 09:09 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "David" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> Who knew? The old advice, buy a power rack and barbell set, was wrong?
>>> You just need the rack!
>>>
>>> But, I think Jason and I are gonna' stick with the ROM Machine, because
>>> Static Contraction Training takes nearly 4 times as long.
>>
>> B-b-b-but they say you can complete a full workout in under 15 minutes.
>
> ROM, 4 minutes.
>
> A bit more expensive, but, time IS money.
>
>> Just wondered if anyone here has any direct experience with this method
>
> Charles Atlas.
>
> And the original Atlas.
>
> David

So I was about to get back to this person and say "the fellas in this ng
think static contractions are worthless for building strength" - or
alternatively I could say "this or that study suggest that this method is
worthless" - Unfortunately clinical studies don't seem to exist.

David Cohen
August 27th 06, 09:15 PM
"David" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote>>
>> "David" > wrote
>>> "David Cohen" > wrote

>>> B-b-b-but they say you can complete a full workout in under 15 minutes.
>>
>> ROM, 4 minutes.
>>
>> A bit more expensive, but, time IS money.
>>
>>> Just wondered if anyone here has any direct experience with this method
>>
>> Charles Atlas.
>>
>> And the original Atlas.
>
> So I was about to get back to this person and say "the fellas in this ng
> think static contractions are worthless for building strength" - or
> alternatively I could say "this or that study suggest that this method is
> worthless" - Unfortunately clinical studies don't seem to exist.

Some ideas don't survive the "Duh" factor.

Years ago, a university study looked at the behavior of drivers to either a
rubber snake, or a rubber turtle, in the road.

More people swerved to avoid the turtle than swerved to avoid the snake.

Duh.

August 27th 06, 09:25 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "David" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote>>
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> ROM, 4 minutes.
>>>
>>> A bit more expensive, but, time IS money.

>>> Charles Atlas.
>>>
>>> And the original Atlas.
>>
>> So I was about to get back to this person and say "the fellas in this ng
>> think static contractions are worthless for building strength" - or
>> alternatively I could say "this or that study suggest that this method is
>> worthless" - Unfortunately clinical studies don't seem to exist.
>
> Some ideas don't survive the "Duh" factor.
>
> Years ago, a university study looked at the behavior of drivers to either
> a rubber snake, or a rubber turtle, in the road.
>
> More people swerved to avoid the turtle than swerved to avoid the snake.
>
> Duh.

I would have swerved to avoid the turtle as well. After all WTF IS A TURTLE
DOING ON A ROAD???

JMW
August 27th 06, 09:33 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"David" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote>>
>>> "David" > wrote

>>> ROM, 4 minutes.
>>>
>>> A bit more expensive, but, time IS money.

>>> Charles Atlas.
>>>
>>> And the original Atlas.
>>
>> So I was about to get back to this person and say "the fellas in this ng
>> think static contractions are worthless for building strength" - or
>> alternatively I could say "this or that study suggest that this method is
>> worthless" - Unfortunately clinical studies don't seem to exist.
>
>Some ideas don't survive the "Duh" factor.
>
>Years ago, a university study looked at the behavior of drivers to either a
>rubber snake, or a rubber turtle, in the road.
>
>More people swerved to avoid the turtle than swerved to avoid the snake.
>
>Duh.

What about a rubber Curt?

Curt James
August 27th 06, 11:09 PM
David wrote:
> Anyone have an opinion about this method for
> strength training
>
> http://www.explosivefitness.com/

It's EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! ;o)

Okay, so I saw my chance to change static to satanic. What can I say?

But like you said, Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well.

Although, I believe he had his hands on some regular barbells and
dumbbells along the way.

--
Curt

David
August 27th 06, 11:16 PM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> David wrote:
>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for
>> strength training
>>
>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>
> It's EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! ;o)
>
> Okay, so I saw my chance to change static to satanic. What can I say?
>
> But like you said, Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well.

> Although, I believe he had his hands on some regular barbells and
> dumbbells along the way.

B-b-but this is different from Charles Atlas dynamic tension - I believe
this method involves a partial rom and a 'static hold' mid movement.

Curt James
August 27th 06, 11:27 PM
David wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote
> > David wrote:
> >> Anyone have an opinion about this method for
> >> strength training
> >>
> >> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
> >
> > It's EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! ;o)
> >
> > Okay, so I saw my chance to change static to satanic. What can I say?
> >
> > But like you said, Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well.

> > Although, I believe he had his hands on some regular barbells and
> > dumbbells along the way.
> >
> B-b-but this is different from Charles Atlas dynamic tension

Different? Hm. Knee-jerk Reaction says: 1) Different is bad. 2) It's
evil. 3) You're bad for even considering this method for strength
training.

Otoh, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot, right?

I mean it's not the chainsaw-to-your-face method for strength training,
so...

(Because I suspect that WOULD hurt.)

> - I believe this method involves a partial rom

There was a thread recently about partial rom. Fwiw, I think the
response here was a mixed bag with the majority falling squarely on the
full range of motion is better side.

> and a 'static hold' mid movement.

Isometrics aren't all bad, so, again, I'd say give the system a go
and... yes, report back because, HEY, _IIIIIIIII_ AM INTERESTED IN THE
RESULTS!

What time is it there? It's about 6:30 p.m. on Sunday here. The school
year begins tomorrow (kindasorta) with meetings and more meetings. Ah,
speeches! How I love to hear them.

--
Curt

Charles
August 27th 06, 11:31 PM
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:33:17 -0400, JMW
> wrote:

>"David Cohen" > wrote:
>>"David" > wrote
>>> "David Cohen" > wrote>>

>>> So I was about to get back to this person and say "the fellas in this ng
>>> think static contractions are worthless for building strength" - or
>>> alternatively I could say "this or that study suggest that this method is
>>> worthless" - Unfortunately clinical studies don't seem to exist.
>>
>>Some ideas don't survive the "Duh" factor.
>>
>>Years ago, a university study looked at the behavior of drivers to either a
>>rubber snake, or a rubber turtle, in the road.
>>
>>More people swerved to avoid the turtle than swerved to avoid the snake.
>>
>>Duh.
>
>What about a rubber Curt?

That doesn't sound quoit roit!

Curt James
August 28th 06, 12:02 AM
Charles wrote:
> JMW > wrote:
[...]

> >What about a rubber Curt?
>
> That doesn't sound quoit roit!

Oh, that? Don't you recognize it, Charles? That's the sound of John
avoiding this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/5d1cda93bf757686?hl=en&

;o)

--
Curt

David
August 28th 06, 02:40 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> David wrote:

>> > It's EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! ;o)
>> >
>> > Okay, so I saw my chance to change static to satanic. What can I say?
>> >
>> > But like you said, Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well.

>> > Although, I believe he had his hands on some regular barbells and
>> > dumbbells along the way.
>> >
>> B-b-but this is different from Charles Atlas dynamic tension
>
> Different? Hm. Knee-jerk Reaction says: 1) Different is bad. 2) It's
> evil. 3) You're bad for even considering this method for strength
> training.
>
> Otoh, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot, right?
>
> I mean it's not the chainsaw-to-your-face method for strength training,
> so...
>
> (Because I suspect that WOULD hurt.)
>
>> - I believe this method involves a partial rom
>
> There was a thread recently about partial rom. Fwiw, I think the
> response here was a mixed bag with the majority falling squarely on the
> full range of motion is better side.
>
>> and a 'static hold' mid movement.
>
> Isometrics aren't all bad, so, again, I'd say give the system a go
> and... yes, report back because, HEY, _IIIIIIIII_ AM INTERESTED IN THE
> RESULTS!
>
> What time is it there? It's about 6:30 p.m. on Sunday here. The school
> year begins tomorrow (kindasorta) with meetings and more meetings. Ah,
> speeches! How I love to hear them.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply - I just don't want to do anything that is
silly, know what I mean? Then I will be chagrined again!
right now in this neck of the woods it is 11:30AM - so that means around
9:30PM your time
Good luck with your new school year!

Jason Earl
August 28th 06, 02:41 AM
"Steve Freides" > writes:

> Is there a drug that will induce seizures? You could sell the
> "miracle product" to induce seizures along with a book about exactly
> how to take it, what to think of during your seizures to maximize
> results. I think we may have your next career here. Tentative book
> title:
>
> Seize Your Strength
>
> Seizure - Seize Your - get it? Kind of like Hoof-Hearted.

Very well done Steve.

Jason

Jason Earl
August 28th 06, 03:02 AM
"David" > writes:

> "Curt James" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> David wrote:
>>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for
>>> strength training
>>>
>>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>>
>> It's EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! ;o)
>>
>> Okay, so I saw my chance to change static to satanic. What can I say?
>>
>> But like you said, Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well.

>> Although, I believe he had his hands on some regular barbells and
>> dumbbells along the way.
>>
> B-b-but this is different from Charles Atlas dynamic tension - I
> believe this method involves a partial rom and a 'static hold' mid
> movement.

The thing about these types of programs is that they take something
that probably is a healthy part of any intelligent advanced program
and turn it into an entire beginner program. Dynamic tension is
probably plenty useful, as are plyometrics, static contractions, heck,
even just plain visualization is probably helpful. However, when you
start talking about using any of these methods to replace free
weights, well, then you are probably moving a little too far afield.

Why buy a machine like this when for way less money you could purchase
a uber nice power rack, a bench and a pile of weights. If you want to
do a similar workout as what you would do in this machine simply do
lots of heavy partials.

Seriously, this machine costs $3,500. That's a substantial chunk of
change for so limited a machine.

On the other hand, if you have that kind of scratch lying around and
you want a way to do a whole lot of heavy partials in a hurry this
machine is probably just the ticket.

Jason

David
August 28th 06, 03:21 AM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> "David" > writes:
>
>> "Curt James" > wrote in message
>> ps.com...

>>> It's EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL! ;o)
>>>
>>> Okay, so I saw my chance to change static to satanic. What can I say?
>>>
>>> But like you said, Charles Atlas seemed to do pretty well.

>>> Although, I believe he had his hands on some regular barbells and
>>> dumbbells along the way.
>>>
>> B-b-but this is different from Charles Atlas dynamic tension - I
>> believe this method involves a partial rom and a 'static hold' mid
>> movement.
>
> The thing about these types of programs is that they take something
> that probably is a healthy part of any intelligent advanced program
> and turn it into an entire beginner program. Dynamic tension is
> probably plenty useful, as are plyometrics, static contractions, heck,
> even just plain visualization is probably helpful. However, when you
> start talking about using any of these methods to replace free
> weights, well, then you are probably moving a little too far afield.
>
> Why buy a machine like this when for way less money you could purchase
> a uber nice power rack, a bench and a pile of weights. If you want to
> do a similar workout as what you would do in this machine simply do
> lots of heavy partials.
>
> Seriously, this machine costs $3,500. That's a substantial chunk of
> change for so limited a machine.
>
> On the other hand, if you have that kind of scratch lying around and
> you want a way to do a whole lot of heavy partials in a hurry this
> machine is probably just the ticket.
>
> Jason

Thanks for your thoughful reply
I wasn't actually planning to buy it. Was just asking for feedback as to how
effective this would be for building strength. Being in Oz, if would be a
lot dearer than $3500 in any case. There would be alternatives in any case
to buying this machine were I to do this stuff

Steve Freides
August 28th 06, 04:12 AM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" > writes:
>>
>> Is there a drug that will induce seizures? You could sell the
>> "miracle product" to induce seizures along with a book about exactly
>> how to take it, what to think of during your seizures to maximize
>> results. I think we may have your next career here. Tentative book
>> title:
>>
>> Seize Your Strength
>>
>> Seizure - Seize Your - get it? Kind of like Hoof-Hearted.
>
> Very well done Steve.
>
> Jason

Thank you, sir. Madison Avenue, look out, here I come!

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jessica
August 28th 06, 01:52 PM
David ) wrote:

> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>
> http://www.explosivefitness.com/

I have heard that it depends on your genetics if a training works for you or
not, for some might be good, for other not so much

--------------------------------------
Tired of being tired all the time?
Would you like to have more energy?
Have you ever tried the USANA nutritional supplements?
www.nutritionals4health.usana.com

David
August 28th 06, 06:59 PM
"Jessica" > wrote in message
> David ) wrote:
>
>> Anyone have an opinion about this method for strength training
>>
>> http://www.explosivefitness.com/
>
> I have heard that it depends on your genetics if a training works for you
> or not, for some might be good, for other not so much

thanks Jessica - yes I've heard the same - . . .

> --------------------------------------
> Tired of being tired all the time?
> Would you like to have more energy?
> Have you ever tried the USANA nutritional supplements?
> www.nutritionals4health.usana.com

Curt James
August 29th 06, 01:25 AM
David wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote
> > David wrote:
> >> "Curt James" wrote

> >> B-b-but this is different from Charles Atlas dynamic tension
> >
> > Different? Hm. Knee-jerk Reaction says: 1) Different is bad. 2) It's
> > evil. 3) You're bad for even considering this method for strength
> > training.
> >
> > Otoh, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot, right?
> >
> > I mean it's not the chainsaw-to-your-face method for strength training,
> > so...
> >
> > (Because I suspect that WOULD hurt.)
> >
> >> - I believe this method involves a partial rom
> >
> > There was a thread recently about partial rom. Fwiw, I think the
> > response here was a mixed bag with the majority falling squarely on the
> > full range of motion is better side.
> >
> >> and a 'static hold' mid movement.
> >
> > Isometrics aren't all bad, so, again, I'd say give the system a go
> > and... yes, report back because, HEY, _IIIIIIIII_ AM INTERESTED IN THE
> > RESULTS!
> >
> > What time is it there? It's about 6:30 p.m. on Sunday here. The school
> > year begins tomorrow (kindasorta) with meetings and more meetings. Ah,
> > speeches! How I love to hear them.
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful reply -

Well, there was some goofiness (hope you caught that ;o)), but I tried
to include some thought as well.

> I just don't want to do anything that is silly, know
> what I mean? Then I will be chagrined again!

That stuff's tough on a liver!

> right now in this neck of the woods it is 11:30AM - so that
> means around 9:30PM your time

A ten-hour difference, eh? Zoinks!

> Good luck with your new school year!

Thanks!

--
Curt

geek_girl
August 31st 06, 05:39 PM
Jason Earl wrote:

> Static contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.

Really? As I understand it, static contraction training requires lots
of recovery time. Well, the way Boojum did it required lots of recovery
time.

Jason Earl
August 31st 06, 06:56 PM
"geek_girl" > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>
>> Static contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.
>
> Really? As I understand it, static contraction training requires
> lots of recovery time. Well, the way Boojum did it required lots of
> recovery time.

I used the wrong term. I didn't mean "recovery time" as in the amount
of time before you would be able to benefit from doing the exercise
again. What I really meant that you can do a pile of static
contractions and not want to puke in a bucket and lie down on the
ground and "recover" for 15 minutes or so.

My point was that you use the ROM machine (or Tabata intervals) hard
enough so that four minutes of exercise actually gives you a good
cardiovascular workout that you aren't going to be able to simply jump
up and move on to some other activity when you are finished. Instead
you are going to spend some time on your back trying to persuade your
heart not to jump up your windpipe. You are going to need some time
to "recover" enough to be able to get on with your life. With static
contractions you'll be more tired when you finish than when you
started, but you won't be nearly incapacitated. Thus you won't need
to "recover" in order get something else done.

Now, perhaps this boojum character does some sort of static
contractions that are so ridiculously strenuous that after 15 minutes
you can't move. I've never heard of him or her, so I don't know. If
that's the case, then I am sorry for sullying the mind-bending
intensity of static contractions.

I hope that clears things up.

Jason

geek_girl
August 31st 06, 07:07 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> "geek_girl" > writes:
>
> > Jason Earl wrote:
> >
> >> Static contractions, on the other hand, require almost no recovery.
> >
> > Really? As I understand it, static contraction training requires
> > lots of recovery time. Well, the way Boojum did it required lots of
> > recovery time.
>
> [...]
>
> Now, perhaps this boojum character does some sort of static
> contractions that are so ridiculously strenuous that after 15 minutes
> you can't move. I've never heard of him or her, so I don't know. If
> that's the case, then I am sorry for sullying the mind-bending
> intensity of static contractions.
>
> I hope that clears things up.
>
> Jason

Oh, you weren't here for that. This boojum character did static
contractions with way more weight than he could handle and blew out his
knee. Apparently static contraction training did more to build his ego
than his muscles.

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_frm/thread/ded41797f01a6c3a/044977416eb10a8f?lnk=st&q=rnum=1&hl=en#044977416eb10a8f
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_frm/thread/28ccd02912a32c0b/c278c294d6b1842a?lnk=st&q=rnum=1&hl=en#c278c294d6b1842a

Hobbes
August 31st 06, 07:34 PM
In article . com>,
"geek_girl" > wrote:

> Oh, you weren't here for that. This boojum character did static
> contractions with way more weight than he could handle and blew out his
> knee. Apparently static contraction training did more to build his ego
> than his muscles.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_frm/thread/ded41797
> f01a6c3a/044977416eb10a8f?lnk=st&q=rnum=1&hl=en#044977416eb10a8f
> http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_frm/thread/28ccd029
> 12a32c0b/c278c294d6b1842a?lnk=st&q=rnum=1&hl=en#c278c294d6b1842a

You forgot those two classic poems describing the epic moment. Ummm -
I'll leave out the authors for now.

The Poem

Twas dusky and the power rack
had buckled slightly neath the load
when boojum squar'd his cringing back
and cross that bulk it rode.

beware the quarter squat my son
the bars that crumple men and shame,
beware that heady weight and shun
the pride of online fame.

longtime his inman mile had rung
fierce Boojum, troll and peerless wit
the feat his fruitless mouth had sung
though widely known as ____.

he took that lovely nymph in hand
and sauntered up to waterloo
to cavil with the referee
and grift a buck or two

a partial rep, 855
his MCL went snicker-snack
and Booj cried out, his knee undone
distorted in the rack

and hast thou Lyle McDonald prov'n
in Christa's arms, fierce-elbow'd boy?
oh dismal day, the hasty word
has drain'd the gods of joy!

twas dusky and the power rack
had buckled slightly neath the load
when boojum squar'd his cringing back
and cross that bulk it rode.

The Ballad of Scott K (to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies theme aka
The Ballad of Jed Clampett).

Here's a little story about a guy named Scott K.
Made lots of claims, every night and every day.
When he claimed he could quarter squat half a ton.
Lyle said "Do it and I'll give you $250, son."
Dollars that is, samoleons, greenbacks.

So on Sunday the 14th, Scott K shows up at Lyle's gym.
Lyle just thinks "Can't be anyone dumb as him."
Gets to 855, up an inch, then right back down.
Now Scott K's screaming, rolling around on the ground.
Clutching his knee, blown out, MCL.

Now the ambulance comes, and takes Scott K away.
Lyle thinks "I bet he learned a good lesson today.
Something about ego, about getting hurt.
I guess now Scott's an injury expert."
Learned, the hard way.

cue Banjo music

--
Keith

geek_girl
August 31st 06, 08:16 PM
Hobbes wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "geek_girl" > wrote:
>

> > Oh, you weren't here for that. This boojum character did static
> > contractions with way more weight than he could handle and blew out his
> > knee. Apparently static contraction training did more to build his ego
> > than his muscles.
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_frm/thread/ded41797
> > f01a6c3a/044977416eb10a8f?lnk=st&q=rnum=1&hl=en#044977416eb10a8f
> > http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_frm/thread/28ccd029
> > 12a32c0b/c278c294d6b1842a?lnk=st&q=rnum=1&hl=en#c278c294d6b1842a
> >

> You forgot those two classic poems describing the epic moment. Ummm -
> I'll leave out the authors for now.
>

> The Poem
>
> Twas dusky and the power rack
> had buckled slightly neath the load
> when boojum squar'd his cringing back
> and cross that bulk it rode.
>
> beware the quarter squat my son
> the bars that crumple men and shame,
> beware that heady weight and shun
> the pride of online fame.
>
> longtime his inman mile had rung
> fierce Boojum, troll and peerless wit
> the feat his fruitless mouth had sung
> though widely known as ____.
>
> he took that lovely nymph in hand
> and sauntered up to waterloo
> to cavil with the referee
> and grift a buck or two
>
> a partial rep, 855
> his MCL went snicker-snack
> and Booj cried out, his knee undone
> distorted in the rack
>
> and hast thou Lyle McDonald prov'n
> in Christa's arms, fierce-elbow'd boy?
> oh dismal day, the hasty word
> has drain'd the gods of joy!
>
> twas dusky and the power rack
> had buckled slightly neath the load
> when boojum squar'd his cringing back
> and cross that bulk it rode.
>

> The Ballad of Scott K (to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies theme aka
> The Ballad of Jed Clampett).
>
> Here's a little story about a guy named Scott K.
> Made lots of claims, every night and every day.
> When he claimed he could quarter squat half a ton.
> Lyle said "Do it and I'll give you $250, son."
> Dollars that is, samoleons, greenbacks.
>
> So on Sunday the 14th, Scott K shows up at Lyle's gym.
> Lyle just thinks "Can't be anyone dumb as him."
> Gets to 855, up an inch, then right back down.
> Now Scott K's screaming, rolling around on the ground.
> Clutching his knee, blown out, MCL.
>
> Now the ambulance comes, and takes Scott K away.
> Lyle thinks "I bet he learned a good lesson today.
> Something about ego, about getting hurt.
> I guess now Scott's an injury expert."
> Learned, the hard way.
>
> cue Banjo music
>
> --
> Keith

I can't believe I forgot about those! Thanks for the reminder.

Jason Earl
August 31st 06, 08:29 PM
"geek_girl" > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:

>> > Really? As I understand it, static contraction training requires
>> > lots of recovery time. Well, the way Boojum did it required lots of
>> > recovery time.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Now, perhaps this boojum character does some sort of static
>> contractions that are so ridiculously strenuous that after 15 minutes
>> you can't move. I've never heard of him or her, so I don't know. If
>> that's the case, then I am sorry for sullying the mind-bending
>> intensity of static contractions.
>>
>> I hope that clears things up.
>>
>> Jason
>
> Oh, you weren't here for that. This boojum character did static
> contractions with way more weight than he could handle and blew out
> his knee. Apparently static contraction training did more to build
> his ego than his muscles.

Frijoles, I read the posts and that's positively evil. Remind me to
never call out someone on their Internet lifts. I don't care about
some else's imaginary prowess so much that I am willing to goad them
into blowing out a knee.

Static contractions don't sound like much fun either. Nor do lots of
heavy partials.

Thanks,

Jason