PDA

View Full Version : Re: Is this realistic?

Steve Freides
December 6th 03, 04:17 PM
"Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
>
> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>
> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>
> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
>
> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> weight maintenance.
>
> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>
> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>
> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>
> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> or so.

I think it's realistic. There are a few resources you might consider for
bodyweight work. Matt Furey is well known in this area and has published
several books. I've only seen one of his books and, while I don't chose to
follow his approach, I can see how it could work. The other book I'd
recommend, not ever having seen it, is the latest from Pavel Tsatsouline
called The Naked Warrior. The e-book is already available while the print
version is due to ship in a couple of weeks. You can read more about it on
http://www.dragondoor.com. Pavel is another well-known author with whom
I've had the chance to study personally a couple of times and I think he's
great.

I'm very proud of what I've accomplished using Pavel's methods - more about
me and my training on my web site, URL is below.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Robert Dorf
December 6th 03, 04:48 PM
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:17:59 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
>> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
>> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
>> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
>> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
>>
>> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
>> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>>
>> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>>
>> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
>> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
>> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
>> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
>>
>> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
>> weight maintenance.
>>
>> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
>> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
>> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
>> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>>
>> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>>
>> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>>
>> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
>> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
>> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
>> or so.
>
>I think it's realistic.

He's a 32 year old natural trying to lose ten pounds of fat and add
five pounds of muscle within a year, all without being willing to move
beyond 50 lb dumbbells (apparently fixed weight) or consider any
changes whatsoever to his diet or training.

It's not realistic.

Steve Freides
December 6th 03, 05:53 PM
"Robert Dorf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:17:59 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> >> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> >> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> >> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> >> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
> >>
> >> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> >> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
> >>
> >> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
> >>
> >> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> >> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> >> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> >> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
> >>
> >> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> >> weight maintenance.
> >>
> >> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> >> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> >> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> >> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
> >>
> >> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
> >>
> >> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
> >>
> >> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> >> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> >> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> >> or so.
> >
> >I think it's realistic.
>
> He's a 32 year old natural trying to lose ten pounds of fat and add
> five pounds of muscle within a year, all without being willing to move
> beyond 50 lb dumbbells (apparently fixed weight) or consider any
> changes whatsoever to his diet or training.
>
> It's not realistic.

The Matt Furey crowd don't generally look lacking in muscle to me, Robert.
5 lbs. ain't 25 lbs. and, particularly if he's not very muscular now, it
seems perfectly doable. Nor did he say he's not willing to consider any
changes to his training, he just said what he plans to do at this point in
time. I'm not saying he's willing to change but I'm also not saying he's
not. You can gain 5 lbs. of muscle in a few months just keeping a couple of
acres of grass cut with a push mower.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Robert Dorf
December 6th 03, 06:13 PM
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:53:22 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"Robert Dorf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:17:59 -0500, "Steve Freides"
>> > wrote:

>> >I think it's realistic.
>>
>> He's a 32 year old natural trying to lose ten pounds of fat and add
>> five pounds of muscle within a year, all without being willing to move
>> beyond 50 lb dumbbells (apparently fixed weight) or consider any
>> changes whatsoever to his diet or training.
>>
>> It's not realistic.
>
>The Matt Furey crowd don't generally look lacking in muscle to me, Robert.

Never claimed they were. The problem isn't his preference for
bodyweight exercises, it's his age and recent 47 pound weight loss
together with taking diet and weight training off the table.

Even with a reasonable weight training program and a willingness to
adjust his diet over the course of the year he'd have to hope for some
serious newbie gains to add 5 pounds of muscle while dropping 10 more
pounds of fat.

>5 lbs. ain't 25 lbs. and, particularly if he's not very muscular now, it
>seems perfectly doable.

5 lbs of muscle while loosing 10 lbs of fat all without being willing
to alter his diet or routine is not doable.

> Nor did he say he's not willing to consider any
>changes to his training, he just said what he plans to do at this point in
>time.

We are reading his post differently.

>I'm not saying he's willing to change but I'm also not saying he's
>not. You can gain 5 lbs. of muscle in a few months just keeping a couple of
>acres of grass cut with a push mower.

For an otherwise healthy 32 year old while losing 10 additional pounds
of fat after a significant weight loss? That must be one heck of a
heavy push mower.

Robert Dorf
December 6th 03, 07:16 PM
On 6 Dec 2003 18:28:13 GMT, Ignoramus19471
> wrote:

>In article >, Robert Dorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:53:22 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>>>The Matt Furey crowd don't generally look lacking in muscle to me, Robert.
>>
>> Never claimed they were. The problem isn't his preference for
>> bodyweight exercises, it's his age and recent 47 pound weight loss
>> together with taking diet and weight training off the table.
>
>Well, if I do pullups, that means I pull 176 lbs of weight up, right?
>That's quite a bit of weight. With chinups, most of the work is done
>by biceps, I believe. If I do perfect pushups, that means I bench
>press 100 lbs 25-30 times, also not bad. If my feet are on the
>armchair while I am doing pushups, the effective weight come become
>more like 130 lbs. So my program will include decent resistance
>training. I agree that I won't accomplish spectacular results, but
>that's not what I am after.

You're trying, at 32, to add 5 pounds of muscle while dropping 10
pounds of fat after a weight loss of 47 pounds. With an HST or
similar style weight training program, including a couple of short
bulking phases in your diet and longer cutting phases, you might have
a shot. Even then it would depend on you having room to grow.

Bodyweight only exercises have their place, and can be used for many
things. With your stated goals, they are not the best choice.

If your goal were to drop 10 more pounds of fat (as opposed to weight)
while retaining as much lean muscle as possible then you would have a
much more realistic chance.

>You see, my diet already includes plenty of meat, in fact I am sure
>that I eat more meat than I need. I have been reading some navy seal
>books, and some medical research, it appears that usefulness of eating
>too much protein is very questionable and I already eat too much
>protein already.

The issue isn't protein in and of itself. The issue is how long
you've been dieting, and being willing to adjust your diet according
to your needs. You've accomplished a significant weight loss;
congratulations. That's not easy. Adding 5 pounds of muscle or
losing ten of fat from where you are now would be tough but probably
realistically achievable over the course of a year; doing both at once
will be very difficult.

Steve Freides
December 6th 03, 08:35 PM
wrote:
> > "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> >> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> >> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> >> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> >> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
> >>
> >> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> >> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
> >>
> >> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
> >>
> >> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> >> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> >> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> >> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
> >>
> >> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> >> weight maintenance.
> >>
> >> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> >> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> >> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> >> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
> >>
> >> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
> >>
> >> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
> >>
> >> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> >> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> >> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> >> or so.
> >
> > I think it's realistic. There are a few resources you might consider
for
> > bodyweight work. Matt Furey is well known in this area and has
published
> > several books. I've only seen one of his books and, while I don't chose
> > follow his approach, I can see how it could work. The other book I'd
> > recommend, not ever having seen it, is the latest from Pavel Tsatsouline
> > called The Naked Warrior. The e-book is already available while the
print
> > version is due to ship in a couple of weeks. You can read more about it
on
> > http://www.dragondoor.com. Pavel is another well-known author with
whom
> > I've had the chance to study personally a couple of times and I think
he's
> > great.
> >
> > I'm very proud of what I've accomplished using Pavel's methods - more
about
> > me and my training on my web site, URL is below.
> >
> > -S-
> > http://www.kbnj.com
> >

> Thanks. I already have one of the books by Pavel (PTTP).

Pavel's "Russian Bear" program in PTP could work well for you. You might
try applying that logic to one-armed "Arnold" presses with your 35 and 50
lb. dumbbells. It will put some meat on your shoulders and upper arms. If
you're willing to purchase an Olympic barbell set as Pavel suggests in PTP,
you can deadlift, the King of all lifts, and really get stronger, bigger, or
both.

It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your caloric
intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

-S-

Barry Wong
December 6th 03, 08:38 PM
Ignoramus19471 > wrote:

> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.

Congratulations on your weight loss -- 47 pounds is a big chunk,
assuming it was good weight to lose (i.e. mostly fat). How long did it
take to lose all that?

> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>
> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.

Total calories? Your current diet has worked for losing weight, but will
it work for adding muscle? If not, it might need to change. Of course,
depending on your total calories, it sounds like you're already getting
close to 1g protein per day.

> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> weight maintenance.
>
> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>
> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.

These three items, taken together, seemed odd to me. You spend over 2
hours a day walking and doing calisthenics, but wouldn't join a gym due
to time constraints? I can see not adding gym time to the 2+ hours you
already do, but presumably, your gym time would supplant some of what
you're already doing, right? Also, beginning weight trainers (like me
and possibly you) don't need to lift more than 3 times a week anyway, so
you might actually SAVE time.

But if you're happy with what you're doing, more power to you. I just
don't know if it impedes your progress to your goal of gaining 5 pounds
of muscle.

> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>
> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> or so.

The weight loss goal seems very realistic. Others can speak to the
muscle gain goal, but it might require changes in your exercise regimen
and maybe diet. Would you be willing to alter those things to reach your
goal?

Paul
December 6th 03, 09:06 PM
Hello i,

I'm not sure that it will work or not, because I'm not an expert about
fats, carbs and protein. What I can say from being an ex army and marine is
that I've seen many men that were skinny or even in the proper weight range
gain muscle by doing pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups and such w/o weight
training. I lost lots of weight in the service while gaining muscle by
doing exercises I mentioned above. The army focuses on pushups and I
remember doing 100 pushups in 2 minutes during bootcamp and getting stretch
marks from the shoulders getting so big so fast and my chest getting more
definition. The marines focus on the pull-up and I never considered myself
an expert at it but I was able to do about 20 pull-ups at my peak condition.
I could run a 3 mile run in 19 minutes and considered myself fast for being
200-225 at the time, although the military considered me to be overweight by
scientific standards.

I'm sure that the proper amounts and types of food will help determine
your outcome. If you can't find your answer online you might want to seek a
one time visit to a certified dietician or a certified weight trainer and
tell them what you hope to accomplish and they should be able to point you
in the right direction.

I'm sure you'll do well in reaching your goal,

Paul
300/245/175

I'm sure you'll lose some fat and should increase
"Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
>
> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>
> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>
> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
>
> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> weight maintenance.
>
> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>
> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>
> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>
> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> or so.

> 223/176/180

Robert Dorf
December 6th 03, 09:37 PM
On 6 Dec 2003 21:03:24 GMT, Ignoramus19471
> wrote:

>In article >, Steve Freides wrote:
>> "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
>>> In article >, Steve Freides
>> wrote:
>> Pavel's "Russian Bear" program in PTP could work well for you. You might
>> try applying that logic to one-armed "Arnold" presses with your 35 and 50
>> lb. dumbbells. It will put some meat on your shoulders and upper arms. If
>> you're willing to purchase an Olympic barbell set as Pavel suggests in PTP,
>> you can deadlift, the King of all lifts, and really get stronger, bigger, or
>> both.
>
>I already own a barbell. I just cannot do certain lifts for certain
>reasons. Deadlifts though do sound appealing.

Deadlifts would definitely change the odds more in your favor.

>> It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
>> probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your caloric
>> intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
>> between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.
>
>Is that a hard and fast rule? If that was the case, I would not mind
>alternating, if that's what I have to do. The reason why I think my
>case may be an exception is that both my weight loss and muscle gain
>goals are modest and I allow myself a lot of time.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's close. Alternating would be a
better choice, even considering the fact that you're giving yourself a
year to work with.

Patricia Heil
December 6th 03, 10:10 PM
It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
without aerobic exercise, and resistance work is not aerobic.
Add half an hour of walking or other aerobics every day.

Ignoramus19471 wrote:

> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
>
> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>
> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>
> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
>
> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> weight maintenance.
>
> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>
> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>
> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>
> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> or so.

> 223/176/180

OmegaZero2003
December 6th 03, 10:19 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Steve Freides
> wrote:
> > > "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in
message

> > > I think it's realistic. There are a few resources you might consider
> for
> > > bodyweight work. Matt Furey is well known in this area and has
> published
> > > several books. I've only seen one of his books and, while I don't
chose
> > > follow his approach, I can see how it could work. The other book I'd
> > > recommend, not ever having seen it, is the latest from Pavel
Tsatsouline
> > > called The Naked Warrior. The e-book is already available while the
> print
> > > version is due to ship in a couple of weeks. You can read more about
it
> on
> > > http://www.dragondoor.com. Pavel is another well-known author with
> whom
> > > I've had the chance to study personally a couple of times and I think
> he's
> > > great.
> > >
> > > I'm very proud of what I've accomplished using Pavel's methods - more
> about
> > > me and my training on my web site, URL is below.
> > >
> > > -S-
> > > http://www.kbnj.com
> > >

> > Thanks. I already have one of the books by Pavel (PTTP).
>
> Pavel's "Russian Bear" program in PTP could work well for you. You might
> try applying that logic to one-armed "Arnold" presses with your 35 and 50
> lb. dumbbells. It will put some meat on your shoulders and upper arms.
If
> you're willing to purchase an Olympic barbell set as Pavel suggests in
PTP,
> you can deadlift, the King of all lifts, and really get stronger, bigger,
or
> both.
>
> It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're

Uhhh - no it isn't!

Also, to the OP: you can add some BW exercise forms that will substantially
increaase your chances of increasing your muscle mass, considering where you
are now.

Try:

- handstand pushups
- Put one of those 20 thence 35# dumbells between your crossed feet when
doing pullups and chinups.
- Do 1-legged squats - first holding onto something then without. If that
gets too easy (not likely for a long time) hold onto the dbs when doing the
one-legged squat.
- Jump onto successively-higher platforms - start with 20" and g0 to 40" and
beyond. a few sets of a few reps each.
Good luck.

> probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your caloric
> intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
> between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com
>
> -S-

Sarah Jane
December 6th 03, 10:37 PM
In > Patricia Heil wrote:

> It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
> without aerobic exercise, and resistance work is not aerobic.
> Add half an hour of walking or other aerobics every day.

You mean another half hour, in addition to the 100 minutes he's already
doing and plans to continue doing? Learn to read, you top-posting moron.

> Ignoramus19471 wrote:
>>
>> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
>> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
>> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
>> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
>>
>> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
>> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>>
>> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>>
>> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
>> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
>> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
>> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
>>
>> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
>> weight maintenance.
>>
>> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
>> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
>> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
>> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>>
>> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>>
>> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>>
>> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
>> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
>> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
>> or so.

>> 223/176/180

Wayne S. Hill
December 6th 03, 11:35 PM
Patricia Heil wrote:

> It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
> without aerobic exercise,

References? Hint: the body of recent research contradicts this
statement.

> and resistance work is not aerobic.

It may not be aerobic, but it's cardio.

--
-Wayne

Brad Sheppard
December 7th 03, 12:39 AM
I all depends. Some men gain muscle rapidly, others don't gain much
muscle no matter how hard they try. I say try it and see what happens.
Allow a year to see changes. Remember the principle of overload - to
gain muscle you must lift more than you are accustomed to. Your
largest muscles are your leg muscles, try squats, lunges, etc to
enlarge them.

Robert Dorf > wrote in message >...
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:17:59 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> >> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> >> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> >> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> >> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
> >>
> >> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> >> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
> >>
> >> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
> >>
> >> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> >> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> >> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> >> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
> >>
> >> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> >> weight maintenance.
> >>
> >> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> >> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> >> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> >> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
> >>
> >> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
> >>
> >> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
> >>
> >> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> >> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> >> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> >> or so.
> >
> >I think it's realistic.
>
> He's a 32 year old natural trying to lose ten pounds of fat and add
> five pounds of muscle within a year, all without being willing to move
> beyond 50 lb dumbbells (apparently fixed weight) or consider any
> changes whatsoever to his diet or training.
>
> It's not realistic.

gps
December 7th 03, 01:42 AM
Ignoramus19471 wrote:

> In article >, Robert Dorf wrote:
> > On 6 Dec 2003 18:28:13 GMT, Ignoramus19471
> >>Well, if I do pullups, that means I pull 176 lbs of weight up, right?
> >>That's quite a bit of weight. With chinups, most of the work is done
> >>by biceps, I believe. If I do perfect pushups, that means I bench
> >>press 100 lbs 25-30 times, also not bad. If my feet are on the
> >>armchair while I am doing pushups, the effective weight come become
> >>more like 130 lbs. So my program will include decent resistance
> >>training. I agree that I won't accomplish spectacular results, but
> >>that's not what I am after.
> >
> > You're trying, at 32, to add 5 pounds of muscle while dropping 10
> > pounds of fat after a weight loss of 47 pounds. With an HST or
> > similar style weight training program, including a couple of short
> > bulking phases in your diet and longer cutting phases, you might have
> > a shot. Even then it would depend on you having room to grow.
>
> Alternating bulking with weight loss is something that I may look
> into. Maybe instead of one year, I will try to do it in 18 months,
> where I would lose 1-1.5 lb a month for 12 months, and then add a few
> pounds back during bulking. I would prefer, however, to be steady,
> rather than alternate weight loss and weight gain.

Your preference does not matter to your body. The physiological reality
is that gaining weight and losing weight are contradictory activities
requiring opposite caloric requirements. IOW, if you want to continue
to lose weight, you will need to maintain a caloric deficit; if you want
to gain weight (add LBM), you will need to consume a caloric surplus.

Yes, there are some caveats to the generality above, which is why Bob
has been pointing out you've already lost 47 pounds, but, generally
speaking, if you're not overly fat and/or a rank beginner, you're not
going to lose fat while adding muscle in any appreciable (10 lb. of fat
and 5 lb. of muscle is appreciable) amounts.
ps

gps
December 7th 03, 01:49 AM
Ignoramus19471 wrote:

> In article >, Steve Freides wrote:

> > It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
> > probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your caloric
> > intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
> > between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.
>
> Is that a hard and fast rule? If that was the case, I would not mind
> alternating, if that's what I have to do. The reason why I think my
> case may be an exception is that both my weight loss and muscle gain
> goals are modest and I allow myself a lot of time.

Not only is it not a hard and fast rule, it's not even correct. I think
what Steve meant is that it is very difficult for those who aren't
overly fat to do so. For example, had you put together a decent
resistance program when you began your 47 pound weight loss you would
likely have added a bit of muscle while you dropped some of that fat.
In fact, you probably did do so anyway if you were doing any resistance
work at that time or if you were highly detrained when you started.

The problem with continuing to try to do so as you have dropped to a
more normal or reasonable body fat level is that it becomes very
difficult and inefficient to do so. Sure you could try to accomplish the
drop 10 and add 5 at the same time over a year to a year and a half, but
you could accomplish it more easily, more efficiently, and with a
greater level of assurance of achieving your goals by choosing to use
alternate cycles of bulking and cutting.
ps

gps
December 7th 03, 01:51 AM
Sarah Jane wrote:

> In > Patricia Heil wrote:
> >
> > It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
> > without aerobic exercise, and resistance work is not aerobic.
> > Add half an hour of walking or other aerobics every day.
>
> You mean another half hour, in addition to the 100 minutes he's already
> doing and plans to continue doing? Learn to read, you top-posting moron.

Come on, Sarah, don't hold back. :)
ps

Will
December 7th 03, 02:11 AM
In article >,
gps > wrote:

> Ignoramus19471 wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Steve Freides
> > wrote:
>
> > > It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
> > > probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your
> > > caloric
> > > intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
> > > between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.
> >
> > Is that a hard and fast rule? If that was the case, I would not mind
> > alternating, if that's what I have to do. The reason why I think my
> > case may be an exception is that both my weight loss and muscle gain
> > goals are modest and I allow myself a lot of time.

> Not only is it not a hard and fast rule, it's not even correct. I think
> what Steve meant is that it is very difficult for those who aren't
> overly fat to do so.

Any ballpark figure for what % bodyfat the cutoff for "overly fat" would
be? Say for someone who's lifted weights for a few years so isn't
likely to be getting newbie gains in musculature at the same time?

gps
December 7th 03, 02:13 AM
Will wrote:

> In article >,
> gps > wrote:
>
> > Ignoramus19471 wrote:

> > > Is that a hard and fast rule? If that was the case, I would not mind
> > > alternating, if that's what I have to do. The reason why I think my
> > > case may be an exception is that both my weight loss and muscle gain
> > > goals are modest and I allow myself a lot of time.

> > Not only is it not a hard and fast rule, it's not even correct. I think
> > what Steve meant is that it is very difficult for those who aren't
> > overly fat to do so.
>
> Any ballpark figure for what % bodyfat the cutoff for "overly fat" would
> be? Say for someone who's lifted weights for a few years so isn't
> likely to be getting newbie gains in musculature at the same time?

Ask Lyle or Elzi, I think they'd be the most qualified to answer. I
have no clue.
ps

Brux Brule
December 7th 03, 04:01 AM
"Sarah Jane" > wrote in message
> In > Patricia Heil wrote:
> >
> > It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
> > without aerobic exercise, and resistance work is not aerobic.
> > Add half an hour of walking or other aerobics every day.
>
> You mean another half hour, in addition to the 100 minutes he's already
> doing and plans to continue doing? Learn to read, you top-posting moron.

Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody else think SJ
is hot!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Brux Brule

"Quit your whining, shut up and train."

Reality Check
December 7th 03, 04:29 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
> probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your caloric
> intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
> between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.

Just a question. Why do you say it's "impossible" to lose fat and gain
muscle at the same time? Are you referring to *literally* at the same time
or around the same period? I've been exercising and eating well... I
haven't been losing much weight at all but my clothes definitely fit better.
I can see my stomach has shrunk a little and my biceps are more pronounced
yet I'm still around the same weight. Doesn't that mean I've lost fat and
gained some muscle at the same time?

The Queen of Cans and Jars
December 7th 03, 04:38 AM
Brux Brule > wrote:

> "Sarah Jane" > wrote in message
> > In > Patricia Heil wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
> > > without aerobic exercise, and resistance work is not aerobic.
> > > Add half an hour of walking or other aerobics every day.
> >
> > You mean another half hour, in addition to the 100 minutes he's already
> > doing and plans to continue doing? Learn to read, you top-posting moron.
>

> Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody else think SJ
> is hot!

i think she's totally hot, and i'm neither a man nor a lesbian.

OmegaZero2003
December 7th 03, 06:01 AM
OmegaZero2003 wrote:

> [...]
Freides
> > message

Maybe

> >> for
> >> published
> > chose
I'd
> > Tsatsouline
> >> print
> > it
> >> on
> >> whom
> >> he's

> >> about

> >> Pavel's "Russian Bear" program in PTP could work well for you. You
might
> >> try applying that logic to one-armed "Arnold" presses with your 35 and
50
> >> lb. dumbbells. It will put some meat on your shoulders and upper arms.
> > If
> >> you're willing to purchase an Olympic barbell set as Pavel suggests in
> > PTP,
> >> you can deadlift, the King of all lifts, and really get stronger,
bigger,
> > or
> >> both.
> >>
> >> It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
> >
> > Uhhh - no it isn't!
> >
> > Also, to the OP: you can add some BW exercise forms that will
substantially
> > increaase your chances of increasing your muscle mass, considering where
you
> > are now.
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > - handstand pushups
> > - Put one of those 20 thence 35# dumbells between your crossed feet when
> > doing pullups and chinups.
> > - Do 1-legged squats - first holding onto something then without. If
that
> > gets too easy (not likely for a long time) hold onto the dbs when doing
the
> > one-legged squat.
>
> I completely agree up to this point.
>
> > - Jump onto successively-higher platforms - start with 20" and g0 to 40"
and
> > beyond. a few sets of a few reps each.
>
> this is very hard on the knees.

Could be; I have not noticed it yet. Couldn't be worse than a game of
basketball once a week or 2 weeks. That is my frequency.

Certainly builds explosiveness and it is a good test in an of itself to see
how high one can jump.

> > Good luck.
> >

> >> probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your
caloric
> >> intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and
forth
> >> between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.
> >>
> >> -S-
> >> http://www.kbnj.com
> >>
> >> -S-

Wayne S. Hill
December 7th 03, 01:55 PM
OmegaZero2003 wrote:

> "Ignoramus19471" wrote...
>>
>> > - Jump onto successively-higher platforms - start with
>> > 20" and g0 to 40" and beyond. a few sets of a few reps
>> > each.
>>
>> this is very hard on the knees.
>
> Could be; I have not noticed it yet. Couldn't be worse than
> a game of basketball once a week or 2 weeks. That is my
> frequency.
>
> Certainly builds explosiveness and it is a good test in an
> of itself to see how high one can jump.

Pickup and adult league basketball produce an incredible number of
injuries (some pretty darn serious), partly because the people
playing it often aren't in the best shape, partly because of
combined twisting and jumping motions, and partly because of
contact. Simple jumping would be much less likely to cause
injury, but the loads produced are very high. You really should
work into it gradually.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
December 7th 03, 01:59 PM
Reality Check wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote...
>>
>> It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat
>> so you're probably best trying to lose more weight for a
>> while, then up your caloric intake and work on gaining
>> muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth between these
>> two phases more than once during the course of a year.
>
> Just a question. Why do you say it's "impossible" to lose
> fat and gain muscle at the same time? Are you referring to
> *literally* at the same time or around the same period?
> I've been exercising and eating well... I haven't been
> losing much weight at all but my clothes definitely fit
> better. I can see my stomach has shrunk a little and my
> biceps are more pronounced yet I'm still around the same
> weight. Doesn't that mean I've lost fat and gained some
> muscle at the same time?

In many cases, newbies get a one-time pass to do this. I know I
certainly did. Once you're past the newbie gains, however, you
have to look at bulking and cutting as separate things that need
to be done in sequence.

--
-Wayne

Theresa
December 7th 03, 02:27 PM
Robert Dorf wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:17:59 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19%
>>> according to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47
>>> lbs and have been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape
>>> is being able to do 10 pull-ups, 35 pushups, etc.
>>>
>>> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
>>> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>>>
>>> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>>>
>>> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
>>> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
>>> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
>>> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
>>>
>>> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
>>> weight maintenance.
>>>
>>> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
>>> pull-ups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
>>> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
>>> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
>>>
>>> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>>>
>>> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>>>
>>> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
>>> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
>>> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
>>> or so.
>>
>> I think it's realistic.
>
> He's a 32 year old natural trying to lose ten pounds of fat and add
> five pounds of muscle within a year, all without being willing to move
> beyond 50 lb dumbbells (apparently fixed weight) or consider any
> changes whatsoever to his diet or training.
>
> It's not realistic.

The fat loss is totally realistic.

The muscle gain... how well does very-high-rep calisthenics work for that?
If that half-hour is 1500 reps... I'd guess 1500 70# deep knee bends 2-3
times a week would do it.

Jay
December 7th 03, 04:17 PM
> For an otherwise healthy 32 year old while losing 10 additional pounds
> of fat after a significant weight loss? That must be one heck of a
> heavy push mower.

Westside manual labor? Push mower uphill with a sled?

Jay
December 7th 03, 04:19 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> Patricia Heil wrote:
>

> > It's not a good idea. You can't improve your heart fitness
> > without aerobic exercise,
>
> References? Hint: the body of recent research contradicts this
> statement.
>
> > and resistance work is not aerobic.
>
> It may not be aerobic, but it's cardio.

Hate that word, CARDIO.
What work isn't?

Heavy load circuit training with major lifts gets my heart rate pounding
like a porn star pressed for time.

Roger Zoul
December 7th 03, 04:50 PM
Ignoramus19471 wrote:
:: In article >, gps wrote:
::: Ignoramus19471 wrote:
::::
:::: In article >, Robert
:::: Dorf wrote:
::::: On 6 Dec 2003 18:28:13 GMT, Ignoramus19471
:::::: Well, if I do pullups, that means I pull 176 lbs of weight up,
:::::: right? That's quite a bit of weight. With chinups, most of the
:::::: work is done
:::::: by biceps, I believe. If I do perfect pushups, that means I bench
:::::: press 100 lbs 25-30 times, also not bad. If my feet are on the
:::::: armchair while I am doing pushups, the effective weight come
:::::: become
:::::: more like 130 lbs. So my program will include decent resistance
:::::: training. I agree that I won't accomplish spectacular results,
:::::: but that's not what I am after.
:::::
::::: You're trying, at 32, to add 5 pounds of muscle while dropping 10
::::: pounds of fat after a weight loss of 47 pounds. With an HST or
::::: similar style weight training program, including a couple of short
::::: bulking phases in your diet and longer cutting phases, you might
::::: have
::::: a shot. Even then it would depend on you having room to grow.
::::
:::: Alternating bulking with weight loss is something that I may look
:::: into. Maybe instead of one year, I will try to do it in 18 months,
:::: where I would lose 1-1.5 lb a month for 12 months, and then add a
:::: few pounds back during bulking. I would prefer, however, to be
:::: steady,
:::: rather than alternate weight loss and weight gain.
:::
[...]
::
:: Thanks. I think that what I will do is, I will try to gain muscle
:: while losing weight, If it does not work, which is obviously quite
:: possible, then I will lose weight while exercising to maintain my
:: muscle. And then I will bulk up a little. Now that I am at normal
:: weight, I can take time to do things right.
::
:: Also, I was able to do one pullup with a 35 lbs dumbbell as an extra
:: weight.
::

Ig -- it sounds a little like you're fearful of gaining any weight at all
because of a fear of getting fat again. Keep in mind that having lost 47 lbs
means you know how to lose weight. So the trick, imo, is to monitor your
weight and measurments closely. When you're bulking, you'll quickly know if
you're putting on fat too fast for your liking and also if you're putting on
too much weight, only some of which will be muscle. If you find you are,
then simply start cutting back. But to gain some muscle mass, you've got to
allow some fat gain along the way. The trick is to manage it. I think you
can do it if you just try. Give yourself 5 pounds over your current weight
to work with. Do something similiar with your measurements.

:: i
:: 223/176/180

Roger Zoul
December 7th 03, 05:40 PM
Brux Brule wrote:
::
:: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody else
:: think SJ is hot!

Without jpegs, I can't say.

Steve Freides
December 7th 03, 06:19 PM
wrote:
> > "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> >> In article >, Steve
Freides
message

> > for
> > published
Tsatsouline
> > print
> > on
> > whom
> > he's

> > about

> >> Thanks. I already have one of the books by Pavel (PTTP).
> >
> > Pavel's "Russian Bear" program in PTP could work well for you. You
might
> > try applying that logic to one-armed "Arnold" presses with your 35 and
50
> > lb. dumbbells. It will put some meat on your shoulders and upper arms.
If
> > you're willing to purchase an Olympic barbell set as Pavel suggests in
PTP,
> > you can deadlift, the King of all lifts, and really get stronger,
bigger, or
> > both.
>
> I already own a barbell. I just cannot do certain lifts for certain
> reasons. Deadlifts though do sound appealing.
>
> > It's impossible to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat so you're
> > probably best trying to lose more weight for a while, then up your
caloric
> > intake and work on gaining muscle, and so on - you can go back and forth
> > between these two phases more than once during the course of a year.
>
> Is that a hard and fast rule? If that was the case, I would not mind
> alternating, if that's what I have to do. The reason why I think my
> case may be an exception is that both my weight loss and muscle gain
> goals are modest and I allow myself a lot of time.

We're all trying to say the same thing here, which goes like this:

If you're new to weightlifting you can sometimes find yourself losing fat
and gaining muscle at the same time. However, there comes a point when it
stops working this way for most people and your body decides it wants to be
in gaining mode or losing mode and really doesn't want to do both for you at
the same time.

The solution to this problem is to eat intelligently, lift weights, and
decide which phase you want to be in for the near future. If it's gaining
mode, then you eat on the hearty side, make sure you get enough protein,
lift, and hope to gain mostly muscle but also some fat. Then when you
decide to lean down, you keep lifting but you reduce your caloric intake
and, hopefully, you lose mostly fat and only a little muscle. This is most
often discussed in the context of people trying to bulk up, e.g., someone
who is 170 but wants to end up at 190 will gain weight until they're 200
then start to diet, but it works fine if you goal is to end up at or less
than your starting weight as well.

My personal experience as someone who's pretty lean most of the time is that
I can move through these phases while keeping my weight in a fairly narrow
range, e.g., I almost never get below 148 or above about 155 but I can start
at 148-150, go into a 'bulking' phase wherein I'll raise my weight perhaps
3-4 lbs., then going into a 'cutting' phase where I'll drop down again to
148-150 and end up with a little more muscle and a little less fat than I
started with. My current bodyfat percentage is about 3 points lower than it
was a year ago and my weight has never strayed outside of that narrow range.
I find it natural to let my weight rise a little as I'm learning new lifts
or striving for new personal bests on old ones and then try to let my weight
drop when my training is less intense - makes sense if you think about it.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Helgi Briem
December 8th 03, 10:58 AM
On 6 Dec 2003 21:27:30 GMT, Ignoramus19471
> wrote:

>I am pretty sure it was mostly fat: http://igor.chudov.com/weightloss/

Impressive.

>It took me about 100 days to lose it and I have been maintaining for
>almost 3 months since.

Good.

>>> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
>>> weight maintenance.

Well, walking is good, anyway.

>I am certainly interested in suggestions. I am willing to work on it
>given, first, that I do not want to deal with large weights for health
>reasons,

It's here that you are wrong. What gave you the idea that
large weights are bad for health? That is completely wrong.
To make gains in strength and muscle mass, progressive
training is a must. Therefore the weights must get bigger.

>and second, I do not want to join a gym. For example, I would
>not consider a barbell with more than 100 lbs.

Why? That is a completely irrational limitation.

August Pamplona
December 8th 03, 10:09 PM
"Helgi Briem" > wrote in message
> On 6 Dec 2003 21:27:30 GMT, Ignoramus19471
> > wrote:
>
> >I am pretty sure it was mostly fat:
http://igor.chudov.com/weightloss/

> Impressive.
>
> >It took me about 100 days to lose it and I have been maintaining for
> >almost 3 months since.
>
> Good.

> Well, walking is good, anyway.
>
> >I am certainly interested in suggestions. I am willing to work on it
> >given, first, that I do not want to deal with large weights for
health
> >reasons,
>
> It's here that you are wrong. What gave you the idea that
> large weights are bad for health? That is completely wrong.

He might have some specific health reasons (why it would be bad for
him though not for the general population).

> To make gains in strength and muscle mass, progressive
> training is a must. Therefore the weights must get bigger.
>
> >and second, I do not want to join a gym. For example, I would
> >not consider a barbell with more than 100 lbs.
>
> Why? That is a completely irrational limitation.

It depends on why he's limiting himself in this way. If it's because
Wall Stweet Jownal awticles about aneuwisms make him scawed, it would be
vewy, vewy iwational. If it's because he has Marfan's syndrome (which he
doesn't, I'm just using that as an example) it would be very rational.

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

August Pamplona
December 8th 03, 10:17 PM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> Brux Brule wrote:
> ::
> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody else
> :: think SJ is hot!
>
> Without jpegs, I can't say.

http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS

HTH,
August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

Sarah Jane
December 9th 03, 12:22 AM
In > August Pamplona wrote:
> "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
>> Brux Brule wrote:
>> ::
>> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
>> :: else think SJ is hot!
>>
>> Without jpegs, I can't say.
>
> http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS

And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF

Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
Viewer discretion is advised.

> HTH,
> August Pamplona

Keith Hobman
December 9th 03, 12:41 AM
In article >, Sarah Jane
> wrote:

> In > August Pamplona wrote:
> > "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> >> Brux Brule wrote:
> >> ::
> >> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
> >> :: else think SJ is hot!
> >>
> >> Without jpegs, I can't say.
> >
> > http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>
> And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>
> Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
> Viewer discretion is advised.

Fat?

Well postioned adipose tissue, mebbe. Fat. Nope.

Proton Soup
December 9th 03, 12:45 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:22:49 GMT, Sarah Jane >
wrote:

>In > August Pamplona wrote:
>> "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
>>> Brux Brule wrote:
>>> ::
>>> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
>>> :: else think SJ is hot!
>>>
>>> Without jpegs, I can't say.
>>
>> http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>
>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>
>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>Viewer discretion is advised.

Is that a navel ring I see?

Proton Soup

Lee Michaels
December 9th 03, 01:17 AM
"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:22:49 GMT, Sarah Jane >
> wrote:

> >> http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
> >
> >And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
> >
> >Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
> >Viewer discretion is advised.
>
> Is that a navel ring I see?

Either that or it is the tip of her symbiote poking it head out.

Lucas Buck
December 9th 03, 02:16 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:17:26 GMT, "Lee Michaels" > wrote:

>"Proton Soup" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:22:49 GMT, Sarah Jane >
>> wrote:

>> >And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>> >
>> >Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>> >Viewer discretion is advised.
>>
>> Is that a navel ring I see?
>>

>Either that or it is the tip of her symbiote poking it head out.

She can Zat me anytime.

Actually, she'd make a lousy Jaffa, since in the gallbladder thread
she was against something mucking around inside of her.

Lucas Buck
December 9th 03, 02:18 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:22:49 GMT, Sarah Jane > wrote:

>In > August Pamplona wrote:
>> "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
>>> Brux Brule wrote:
>>> ::
>>> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
>>> :: else think SJ is hot!
>>>
>>> Without jpegs, I can't say.
>>
>> http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>
>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>
>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>Viewer discretion is advised.

Yeah, right.

We STILL need a picture that shows those "hideous" legs, tho.

Proton Soup
December 9th 03, 02:39 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 02:16:08 GMT, Lucas Buck
> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:17:26 GMT, "Lee Michaels" > wrote:
>

>>"Proton Soup" > wrote in message

>>> Is that a navel ring I see?
>>>

>>Either that or it is the tip of her symbiote poking it head out.
>
>She can Zat me anytime.
>
>Actually, she'd make a lousy Jaffa, since in the gallbladder thread
>she was against something mucking around inside of her.

Yeah, but Jaffa don't get gallstones.

Proton Soup

John M. Williams
December 9th 03, 05:19 AM
Sarah Jane > wrote:
> August Pamplona wrote:
>> "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
>>> Brux Brule wrote:
>>> ::
>>> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
>>> :: else think SJ is hot!
>>>
>>> Without jpegs, I can't say.
>>
> http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>
>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>
>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>Viewer discretion is advised.

You look pretty good, Sarah Jane. Now, if you could just find
something better to use than that cheesy webcam ...

August Pamplona
December 9th 03, 05:54 AM
"Sarah Jane" > wrote in message
> In > August Pamplona wrote:
> > "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> >> Brux Brule wrote:
> >> ::
> >> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
> >> :: else think SJ is hot!
> >>
> >> Without jpegs, I can't say.
> >
> > http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>
> And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>
> Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat
chick.
> Viewer discretion is advised.

The other picture is better because you're smiling (that's what
makes it irresistible). Maybe this picture is more m.f.w. (does that
mean the other picture is more a.s.d.?). Or something.

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'+

> > HTH,
> > August Pamplona

John HUDSON
December 9th 03, 06:53 AM
wrote:

>In > August Pamplona wrote:
>> "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
>>> Brux Brule wrote:
>>> ::
>>> :: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
>>> :: else think SJ is hot!
>>>
>>> Without jpegs, I can't say.
>>
>> http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>
>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>
>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>Viewer discretion is advised.

You have a very odd conception of "fat", which this lady quite clearly
is not!

Piscanthropus Profundus
December 9th 03, 02:24 PM
"Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.

BMI is deceptive. An actual body weight would help.

> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
>
> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
>
> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.

Muscle requires protein, both to create and to maintain. Muscle burns
calories at rest. Muscle, and hence, protein, are your friends.

> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> weight maintenance.

If you need this for weight mainteneance you're still eating too much.

> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.

*IF*!? Buy standard or olympic starter barbell set. You're gonna want it.

> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
>
> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
>
> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> or so.

With 30 minutes of exercise per day, you're still sedentiary. It is a
realistic, if somewhat protracted, goal. You could drop the 10 lbs within 2
months quite easily with a better exercise regimen and better eating habits.

Top Sirloin
December 9th 03, 04:28 PM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:54:59 -0600, SJ > wrote:

>That's a navel ring in my navel, and an
>eyebrow ring in my eyebrow. I hope that clears up any confusion.

The only confusion I suffered from was due to a precipitous drop in blood
pressure.

--
Scott Johnson
"Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are

SJ
December 9th 03, 04:50 PM
John M. Williams wrote:

> Sarah Jane > wrote:
>
>>August Pamplona wrote:

>>http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>>
>>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>>
>>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>>Viewer discretion is advised.
>

> You look pretty good, Sarah Jane.

WTF? Was that a compliment? From John Williams? Directed at ME? I'm so
confused.

> Now, if you could just find
> something better to use than that cheesy webcam ...

You buy it, I'll use it.

SJ
December 9th 03, 04:53 PM
August Pamplona wrote:

> "Sarah Jane" > wrote in message

>>>http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>>
>>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>>
>>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat
>
> chick.
>
>>Viewer discretion is advised.
>

> The other picture is better because you're smiling (that's what
> makes it irresistible).

Thank you. You're sweet. Weird, but sweet.

> Maybe this picture is more m.f.w. (does that
> mean the other picture is more a.s.d.?). Or something.

I'm going with the "or something" option.

> August Pamplona

SJ
December 9th 03, 04:54 PM
Proton Soup wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:22:49 GMT, Sarah Jane >
> wrote:

>>>http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
>>
>>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
>>
>>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
>>Viewer discretion is advised.
>

> Is that a navel ring I see?

I dunno, where ya lookin? That's a navel ring in my navel, and an
eyebrow ring in my eyebrow. I hope that clears up any confusion.

> Proton Soup

John M. Williams
December 9th 03, 05:45 PM
"SJ" > wrote:
> John M. Williams wrote:
> > Sarah Jane > wrote:

> >>http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
> >>
> >>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
> >>
> >>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat chick.
> >>Viewer discretion is advised.
> >
> > You look pretty good, Sarah Jane.
>
> WTF? Was that a compliment? From John Williams? Directed at ME? I'm so
> confused.

If you deserved to be insulted, would I have been shy about it?

You deserved a compliment. You got one.

> > Now, if you could just find
> > something better to use than that cheesy webcam ...
>
> You buy it, I'll use it.

It's a worthy investment, Sarah Jane, particularly for one who feels driven
to exposed herself to public critiques from the retards on Hot or Not ...

.... not to mention the social misfits here in MFW ...

David Cohen
December 9th 03, 06:03 PM
"John M. Williams" > wrote in
message ...
> "SJ" > wrote:
> > John M. Williams wrote:

> > > You look pretty good, Sarah Jane.
> >
> > WTF? Was that a compliment? From John Williams? Directed at ME?
I'm so
> > confused.
>
> If you deserved to be insulted, would I have been shy about it?
>
> You deserved a compliment. You got one.
>
> > > Now, if you could just find
> > > something better to use than that cheesy webcam ...
> >
> > You buy it, I'll use it.
>
> It's a worthy investment, Sarah Jane, particularly for one who feels
driven
> to exposed herself to public critiques from the retards on Hot or
Not ...

> ... not to mention the social misfits here in MFW ...

YO!! Present!

David

August Pamplona
December 10th 03, 12:10 AM
"SJ" > wrote in message
> August Pamplona wrote:

> >>And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
> >>
> >>Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat
> >
> > chick.
> >
> >>Viewer discretion is advised.
> >

> > The other picture is better because you're smiling (that's what
> > makes it irresistible).
>
> Thank you. You're sweet. Weird, but sweet.

Not really. It's a meat machine sort of thing. A switch goes off in
my brain when exposed to a smile and it's nothing I can help. It's a
nice switch. And it's not something peculiar to me, attractiveness goes
way up when someone is smiling also as rated by other people. I learn it
from a book.

I speak English. I learn it from a book. Sorry wrong script.

By the way, I' not going to disagree on the weirdness thing.

> > Maybe this picture is more m.f.w. (does that
> > mean the other picture is more a.s.d.?). Or something.
>
> I'm going with the "or something" option.
>
> > August Pamplona

August "Manuel" Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

Sarah Jane
December 10th 03, 01:06 AM
In > August Pamplona wrote:
> "SJ" > wrote in message
>> August Pamplona wrote:

>> > chick.

>> > The other picture is better because you're smiling (that's what
>> > makes it irresistible).
>>
>> Thank you. You're sweet. Weird, but sweet.
>
> Not really. It's a meat machine sort of thing. A switch goes off
> in my brain when exposed to a smile and it's nothing I can help. It's
> a nice switch. And it's not something peculiar to me, attractiveness
> goes way up when someone is smiling also as rated by other people. I
> learn it from a book.

Sorry, I still think it's sweet. And I think it's really cute that you
don't understand why.

> I speak English. I learn it from a book. Sorry wrong script.
>
> By the way, I' not going to disagree on the weirdness thing.

Heh. I didn't think you would.

> August "Manuel" Pamplona

Lucas Buck
December 10th 03, 02:14 AM
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:03:19 GMT, "David Cohen" > wrote:

>"John M. Williams" > wrote in
>message ...
>anybody

>fat chick.

>> > WTF? Was that a compliment? From John Williams? Directed at ME?
>I'm so
>> > confused.
>>
>> If you deserved to be insulted, would I have been shy about it?
>>
>> You deserved a compliment. You got one.

>> > You buy it, I'll use it.
>>
>> It's a worthy investment, Sarah Jane, particularly for one who feels driven
>> to exposed herself to public critiques from the retards on Hot or Not ...
>>
>> ... not to mention the social misfits here in MFW ...
>
>YO!! Present!
>
>David

Y yo tambien. SJ can expose herself to me anytime.

Tho, as the wimmins here tend to complain: we need leg shots.

August Pamplona
December 10th 03, 03:44 AM
"Sarah Jane" > wrote in message
> In > August Pamplona wrote:

> >> Thank you. You're sweet. Weird, but sweet.
> >
> > Not really. It's a meat machine sort of thing. A switch goes off
> > in my brain when exposed to a smile and it's nothing I can help.
It's
> > a nice switch. And it's not something peculiar to me, attractiveness
> > goes way up when someone is smiling also as rated by other people. I
> > learn it from a book.
>
> Sorry, I still think it's sweet. And I think it's really cute that you
> don't understand why.

O.K., thinking about it I am exploring several hypothesis. Perhaps
something to do with hideousness not being mentioned (you know I kid
when I write that, don't you?). Perhaps something about making
inferences about emotional state from facial expression (I didn't think
that's what I was doing, but that's what human brains are supposed to do
with faces --I just thought that the other picture was better because
you're smiling, actually).

In the end, I'm likely better off not exactly understanding why and
having you think that it is cute that I don't. There are worse things in
life than being thought of as weird but sweet. Heck, it might even be
nice. :-)

> > I speak English. I learn it from a book. Sorry wrong script.
> >
> > By the way, I' not going to disagree on the weirdness thing.
>
> Heh. I didn't think you would.
>
> > August "Manuel" Pamplona

August Pamplona
--
The waterfall in Java is not wet.
- omegazero2003 on m.f.w.

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

Elzinator
December 10th 03, 04:21 AM
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:10:09 -0600, "August Pamplona"
> wrote:

>"SJ" > wrote in message
>> August Pamplona wrote:

>> > chick.

>> > The other picture is better because you're smiling (that's what
>> > makes it irresistible).
>>
>> Thank you. You're sweet. Weird, but sweet.
>
> Not really. It's a meat machine sort of thing. A switch goes off in
>my brain when exposed to a smile and it's nothing I can help. It's a
>nice switch. And it's not something peculiar to me, attractiveness goes
>way up when someone is smiling also as rated by other people. I learn it
>from a book.
>
> I speak English. I learn it from a book. Sorry wrong script.
>
> By the way, I' not going to disagree on the weirdness thing.

But you are a good 'weird,' August.

BTW, do you teach the weirding way? :)
It's not enought to just live. You've got to have something to live for.

Roger Zoul
December 10th 03, 02:12 PM
Sarah Jane wrote:
:: In > August Pamplona wrote:
::: "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
::: ...
:::: Brux Brule wrote:
::::::
:::::: Yeah baby!! I love the 'tude! Is it just me, or does anybody
:::::: else think SJ is hot!
::::
:::: Without jpegs, I can't say.
:::
::: http://wwww.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NSOYSYA&key=ETS
::
:: And/or http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=NUNLOYB&key=JLF
::
:: Warning: The above link may contain images of a scantily clad fat
:: chick. Viewer discretion is advised.

If that's you, then I'd give you a HOT!

Piscanthropus Profundus
December 10th 03, 02:45 PM
wrote:

> > "Ignoramus19471" > wrote in message
> >> I am a male, 32 year old, 5'11", BMI 24.5, BF% about 17-19% according
> >> to my imprecise tests with calipers. I recently lost 47 lbs and have
> >> been maintaining for almost 3 months. My current shape is being able
> >> to do 10 pullups, 35 pushups, etc.
> >
> > BMI is deceptive. An actual body weight would help.
>
> 177 as of this morning.

So, with a BF% of 19%, you're carrying 33.6 lbs of bodyfat as of now.

> >> What I would like to do is lose about 10 lbs of fat and gain about 5
> >> lbs of muscle, within one year (2004).
> >>
> >> To accomplish that, I plan on doing the following:
> >>
> >> 1. continue to eat a reasonable diet (no gorging on protein). Maybe
> >> about 25% of calories from protein, 35% from fat, and 40% from
> >> carbs. I am not willing to eat much more protein due to a variety of
> >> reasons, one being that my current diet works great for me.
> >
> > Muscle requires protein, both to create and to maintain. Muscle burns
> > calories at rest. Muscle, and hence, protein, are your friends.
>
> I agree. I already eat plenty of protein.

What's the problem with protein?
One gram per lb lean body mass is what you should be aiming for to maximize
muscle gains. At a 25/40/35 split and based on a LBM of 143 lbs, you're
taking in 143 grams/572 calories of protein, 228.8 grams/915 calories of
carbs, and 89 grams /800 calories of fat. Thats a total of 2287 calories
per day.

> >> 2. Continue walking 100 minutes per day on weekdays. I need this for
> >> weight maintenance.
> >
> > If you need this for weight maintenance you're still eating too much.
>
> It would be difficult for me to eat less, mentally. I would have to
> forgo the equivalent of my breakfast.

Dividing your intake between several meals will help keep hunger away.

> Plus, I feel better due to walking.

I didn't say you should stop.

> >> 3. Exercise about 30 minutes per day using calisthenics -- pushups,
> >> pullups, crunches, bridges (thanks for the tip from
> >> misc.fitness.weights), etc. I have 20 and 35 lbs dumbbells and I am
> >> willing to buy 50 lbs dumbbells if it becomes necessary.
> >
> > *IF*!? Buy standard or olympic starter barbell set. You're gonna want
it.

> I already have a decent barbell bar (from a garage sale) and 100 lbs
> worth of weights for it. May add more.

100 lbs is pretty light. What's your weight routine?

> >> 4. I do not want to join a gym due to time constraints.
> >>
> >> 5. I will lose weight gradually at about 1 lb per month rate.
> >>
> >> My question is, is this realistic. Can I accomplish a 5 lbs muscle
> >> gain with 30 minutes per day exercise described, given that I am
> >> already not sedentary and have been exercising for the last 5 months
> >> or so.
> >
> > With 30 minutes of exercise per day, you're still sedentiary. It is
>
> Well, add 100 minutes of walking to it. I was unclear. I meant 100
> minutes of walking plus 30 minutes of resistance training.

Still sedentiary. Not a couch potato, but not really active either. What
exactly is 30 minutes of resistance training? For me, that's a little less
than an 8x8 of squats with 1 minute between sets.

> > a realistic, if somewhat protracted, goal. You could drop the 10
> > lbs within 2 months quite easily with a better exercise regimen and
> > better eating habits.
>
> Sure, I agree. I dropped 47 lbs in 100 days. But now I want to go very
> slowly.

I compliment you on your acheivement, but why would you want to 'go very
slowly'?

You've proven that you can stick to a routine, so now its time to up the
ante.

And forget the 'weight loss' aspect. You want fat loss. More muscle = more
weight. Continue with your walking and your current diet and add squats,
deadlifts and benchpresses to your weight routine.

August Pamplona
December 10th 03, 11:23 PM
"Elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:10:09 -0600, "August Pamplona"
> > wrote:

> >> Thank you. You're sweet. Weird, but sweet.
> >
> > Not really. It's a meat machine sort of thing. A switch goes off
in
> >my brain when exposed to a smile and it's nothing I can help. It's a
> >nice switch. And it's not something peculiar to me, attractiveness
goes
> >way up when someone is smiling also as rated by other people. I learn
it
> >from a book.
> >
> > I speak English. I learn it from a book. Sorry wrong script.
> >
> > By the way, I' not going to disagree on the weirdness thing.
>
> But you are a good 'weird,' August.

I'm glad you think so.

> BTW, do you teach the weirding way? :)

That depends. Are you willing to become an eater of the Smut
Melange?

August Pamplona