PDA

View Full Version : Pullup Bar Diameter?

buck
September 6th 06, 04:35 AM
I realize that tons of guys who are in shape can do pullups on just about
anything, but for someone just getting started into serious pullups, what
would be a good size diameter bar to start with ? I am thinking about
building a setup in the garage and am wondering about the pipe size........
(1"- 1.5" - 2" etc). I am thinking that a too small diameter might overload
the grip for a beginner.
-TIA

John Hanson
September 6th 06, 04:44 AM
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:35:33 -0600, "buck" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>I realize that tons of guys who are in shape can do pullups on just about
>anything, but for someone just getting started into serious pullups, what
>would be a good size diameter bar to start with ? I am thinking about
>building a setup in the garage and am wondering about the pipe size........
>(1"- 1.5" - 2" etc). I am thinking that a too small diameter might overload
>the grip for a beginner.
>-TIA

Generally, the larger the diameter the harder it will be to maintain
one's grip.

Jason Earl
September 6th 06, 05:23 AM
John Hanson > writes:

> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:35:33 -0600, "buck" > wrote
> in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>I realize that tons of guys who are in shape can do pullups on just
>>about anything, but for someone just getting started into serious
>>pullups, what would be a good size diameter bar to start with ? I
>>am thinking about building a setup in the garage and am wondering
>>about the pipe size........ (1"- 1.5" - 2" etc). I am thinking
>>that a too small diameter might overload the grip for a beginner.
>>-TIA
>>
> Generally, the larger the diameter the harder it will be to maintain
> one's grip.

To a certain extent thin bars make things easier. Obviously you don't
want to try and do pullups hanging from piano wire.

I would suggest going to a park with a lot of playground equipment and
trying out different bars. I personally really like to do pullups
using rings or some other apparatus where my palms can face each
other.

Jason

buck
September 6th 06, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys...... Appreciate your help. Will head to the playground as
suggested to check out some equipment.

Pete
September 6th 06, 11:49 AM
"buck" > schreef:

>I realize that tons of guys who are in shape can do pullups on just about
>anything, but for someone just getting started into serious pullups, what
>would be a good size diameter bar to start with ? I am thinking about
>building a setup in the garage and am wondering about the pipe size........
>(1"- 1.5" - 2" etc). I am thinking that a too small diameter might
>overload the grip for a beginner.

Choose a pipe too big and the lower arms fail before the lats/bis.

I suggest 1-1.3 inch, and use magnesium...

Or straps.

If anyone here tells you the use of straps is a bad idea because the grip...
blablablah...
tell them to go **** themselves...

----
Pete

Pete
September 6th 06, 11:50 AM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

> I would suggest going to a park with a lot of playground...

You visit a lot of playgrounds, Jason?

----
Pete

Steve Freides
September 6th 06, 05:10 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> John Hanson > writes:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:35:33 -0600, "buck" > wrote
>> in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>>I realize that tons of guys who are in shape can do pullups on just
>>>about anything, but for someone just getting started into serious
>>>pullups, what would be a good size diameter bar to start with ? I
>>>am thinking about building a setup in the garage and am wondering
>>>about the pipe size........ (1"- 1.5" - 2" etc). I am thinking
>>>that a too small diameter might overload the grip for a beginner.
>>>-TIA
>>>
>> Generally, the larger the diameter the harder it will be to maintain
>> one's grip.
>
> To a certain extent thin bars make things easier. Obviously you don't
> want to try and do pullups hanging from piano wire.
>
> I would suggest going to a park with a lot of playground equipment and
> trying out different bars. I personally really like to do pullups
> using rings or some other apparatus where my palms can face each
> other.

A quick Google suggests that 1-1/4" is something of a standard, and that
less than 2" is required by some PT tests. I'd say 1-1/4" or 1-1/2"
sounds about right for most purposes. Some bars that have padding on
them are less to allow for the thickness of the padding - the one at my
Y is like that, and it's only padded on the outside portions so things
like narrow grip chinups end up being done on a too-narrow (IMHO) bar.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl
September 6th 06, 06:11 PM
"Pete" > writes:

> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
>> I would suggest going to a park with a lot of playground...
>
> You visit a lot of playgrounds, Jason?

I've got three kids. A seven-year-old girl, a five-year-old boy, and
a three-year-old girl. I go to the park near my house almost daily.

Besides, playgrounds are awesome. The one near my house has one of
those swirly slides, lots of swings, a bouncy bridge, and a set of
"monkey bars" that have rings instead of bars...

Jason

Steve Freides
September 6th 06, 06:22 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> "Pete" > writes:
>
>> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>>
>>> I would suggest going to a park with a lot of playground...
>>
>> You visit a lot of playgrounds, Jason?
>
> I've got three kids. A seven-year-old girl, a five-year-old boy, and
> a three-year-old girl. I go to the park near my house almost daily.
>
> Besides, playgrounds are awesome. The one near my house has one of
> those swirly slides, lots of swings, a bouncy bridge, and a set of
> "monkey bars" that have rings instead of bars...

Who needs a gym if you've got a playground?

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Reg Guthrie Tipton Tourist Board
September 6th 06, 07:48 PM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "Jason Earl" > wrote in message

> >> You visit a lot of playgrounds, Jason?
> >
> > I've got three kids. A seven-year-old girl, a five-year-old boy, and
> > a three-year-old girl. I go to the park near my house almost daily.
> >
> > Besides, playgrounds are awesome. The one near my house has one of
> > those swirly slides, lots of swings, a bouncy bridge, and a set of
> > "monkey bars" that have rings instead of bars...
>
> Who needs a gym if you've got a playground?
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Be careful out there
http://www.honewatson.com/delicious/le-parkour-gone-wrong-google-video/

Pete
September 7th 06, 04:19 PM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

>> You visit a lot of playgrounds, Jason?

> I've got three kids. A seven-year-old girl, a five-year-old boy, and
> a three-year-old girl. I go to the park near my house almost daily.

> Besides, playgrounds are awesome. The one near my house has one of
> those swirly slides, lots of swings, a bouncy bridge, and a set of
> "monkey bars" that have rings instead of bars...

My house is in front of a HUGE playground. Live here for about 13 years, and
was born a few houses from here.

But when i typed "You visit a lot of playgrounds, Jason?", i just watched
an episode of CSI Miami.
Not the best one, but i figured you might get it... ;-O

----
Pete