PDA

View Full Version : When do add cardio to this program?

September 6th 06, 08:56 PM
I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
week):

Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
Tue - back, tri, shoulders
Wed - complete legs
Thu - chest, bic, ab
Fri - back, tri, shoulders

I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
some fat.
When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
days a week?

Will it put a lot of drag on my muscle size gains?

thanks

Kettlebell Inc
September 6th 06, 10:13 PM
wrote:
> I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
> week):
>
> Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
> Tue - back, tri, shoulders
> Wed - complete legs
> Thu - chest, bic, ab
> Fri - back, tri, shoulders
>
> I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
> some fat.
> When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
> days a week?

I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your program
take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength workout
week.

For something completely different, and what I would advocate, is to
adopt a more strength endurance type program. Something like 3
strength endurance workouts a week and then two bodybuilding type
workouts to hit specific areas that are lacking. For strength
endurance, do big body lifts, either with a barbell or dumbells. 10-25
weighted reps. Things like barbell/dumbell clean and press. Jerks.
High rep lunges with a lighter weight. Dumbell snatches.. etc. You
may even be able to gain some mass while cutting down. (see my comment
below)

> Will it put a lot of drag on my muscle size gains?

Yes, it will, depending on how much fat you want to lose, you may be
only able to maintain the muscle that you have. It is extremely hard
to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. It can be done, but not
without a very dedicated and complex program.

hth,
John

http://www.kettlebellinc.com/products

September 7th 06, 01:27 AM
What do you think about keeping my 5 workouts and adding 2-3 cardio
sessions
after those?

Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> wrote:
> > I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
> > week):
> >
> > Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
> > Tue - back, tri, shoulders
> > Wed - complete legs
> > Thu - chest, bic, ab
> > Fri - back, tri, shoulders
> >
> > I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
> > some fat.
> > When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
> > days a week?
> >

> I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your program
> take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
> workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
> strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
> strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength workout
> week.
>
> For something completely different, and what I would advocate, is to
> adopt a more strength endurance type program. Something like 3
> strength endurance workouts a week and then two bodybuilding type
> workouts to hit specific areas that are lacking. For strength
> endurance, do big body lifts, either with a barbell or dumbells. 10-25
> weighted reps. Things like barbell/dumbell clean and press. Jerks.
> High rep lunges with a lighter weight. Dumbell snatches.. etc. You
> may even be able to gain some mass while cutting down. (see my comment
> below)
>
> > Will it put a lot of drag on my muscle size gains?
>
> Yes, it will, depending on how much fat you want to lose, you may be
> only able to maintain the muscle that you have. It is extremely hard
> to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. It can be done, but not
> without a very dedicated and complex program.
>
> hth,
> John
>
> http://www.kettlebellinc.com/products

Kettlebell Inc
September 7th 06, 02:24 AM
wrote:
> What do you think about keeping my 5 workouts and adding 2-3 cardio
> sessions
> after those?

I think you would be overworking yourself. What kind of cardio are you
thinking?

John

Kettlebell Inc
September 7th 06, 02:59 AM
wrote:

> > > Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
> > > Tue - back, tri, shoulders
> > > Wed - complete legs
> > > Thu - chest, bic, ab
> > > Fri - back, tri, shoulders

Another options is to replace one of your back/tri/shooulders days with
primarily high rep dumbell snatches. And replace one of your
check/bis/abs workouts with high rep cleans/double cleans/clean and
jerk, something like that. You'd be working the same muscle groups but
get the cardio benefit of the strength endurance workout.

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com

Bill Eitner
September 7th 06, 05:27 AM
How about sticking with what you're doing
and tightening up the diet. Weight train
to build/spare muscle and diet to get lean.
> I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
> week):
>
> Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
> Tue - back, tri, shoulders
> Wed - complete legs
> Thu - chest, bic, ab
> Fri - back, tri, shoulders
>
> I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
> some fat.
> When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
> days a week?
>
> Will it put a lot of drag on my muscle size gains?
>
> thanks

minnehaha
September 7th 06, 05:00 PM
Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> wrote:
>> I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
>> week):
>>
>> Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
>> Tue - back, tri, shoulders
>> Wed - complete legs
>> Thu - chest, bic, ab
>> Fri - back, tri, shoulders
>>
>> I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
>> some fat.
>> When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
>> days a week?
>>

> I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your program
> take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
> workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
> strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
> strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength workout
> week.

He's right. You should work your upper body 4 times a week and not do
any leg work at all. <rolls eyes>

Hobbes
September 7th 06, 05:20 PM
In article >,
minnehaha > wrote:

> Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
> >> week):
> >>
> >> Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
> >> Tue - back, tri, shoulders
> >> Wed - complete legs
> >> Thu - chest, bic, ab
> >> Fri - back, tri, shoulders
> >>
> >> I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
> >> some fat.
> >> When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
> >> days a week?
> >>

> > I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your program
> > take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
> > workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
> > strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
> > strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength workout
> > week.
> >

> He's right. You should work your upper body 4 times a week and not do
> any leg work at all. <rolls eyes>

Sarcasm duly noted - and agreed upon.

I'm thinking of doing the exact opposite. My primary sport is
weightlifting and my secondary sports are baseball and curling (DON'T Go
THERE! DON'T!!!). I've played around with combining powerlifting and
weightlifting, but have decided it is too much.

So I do olympic style weightlifting three times per week and two to
three times per week I'm thinking of adding upper body aerobics to the
mix.

My weightlifting program is here:

http://www.qwa.org/programs/tint13.asp

For upper body aerobics I've got a light and heavy kettle bell and a
bunch of bodyweight exericises I'd like to do. I use the kettlestack
system of adjustable bells - you can see Krista's review of the product
here:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=49

I'm thinking of just doing a series of intervals:

handstand push-up
hindu push-up
gymnastics bridge
'archer' kb rows (heavy to light)
kb curl to press (heavy to light)
swings (I realize this isn't exactly upper body, but I like the feel and
stretch - i'll probably just do a heavy set of 15 per hand)

and then repeat.

So MWF is weights.

T-Th-S is upper body aerobics.

Input?

--
Keith

Jason Earl
September 7th 06, 05:49 PM
"Kettlebell Inc" > writes:

> wrote:
>> I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
>> week):
>>
>> Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
>> Tue - back, tri, shoulders
>> Wed - complete legs
>> Thu - chest, bic, ab
>> Fri - back, tri, shoulders
>>
>> I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to
>> shed some fat. When would be the best time to add cardio to my
>> workouts and how many days a week?
>>

> I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your
> program take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3
> cardio workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio
> workouts/3 strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on
> in the 3 strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3
> strength workout week.

I couldn't disagree more, and I would come up with something clever to
say here, but Dan John said it far better in a recent article. For
fun I have substituted your name (John) for the name in the article
(Doug).

Unfortunately, dear readers, when XXX DJ heard that John
considered jogging to be a "leg workout," he snapped out of his
chains, ate some bark, humiliated a Silverback in a way that
appeared to be a breach of etiquette in the primate world, and
sprinted away screaming the words "Go tell it to the Spartans."

If jogging was a "leg workout" then all of the guys at the track at
6:00 A.M. wouldn't have bird legs. Most of them still even have guts
to go with their bird legs.

> For something completely different, and what I would advocate, is to
> adopt a more strength endurance type program. Something like 3
> strength endurance workouts a week and then two bodybuilding type
> workouts to hit specific areas that are lacking. For strength
> endurance, do big body lifts, either with a barbell or dumbells.
> 10-25 weighted reps. Things like barbell/dumbell clean and press.
> Jerks. High rep lunges with a lighter weight. Dumbell
> snatches.. etc. You may even be able to gain some mass while
> cutting down. (see my comment below)

This, on the other hand, is good advice. Feel free to throw in a plug
for kettlbells though, as they really are made to order for this sort
of thing. I had good results with relatively high rep barbell cleans,
but kettlebell swings or snatches are less technical and nearly as
effective.

>> Will it put a lot of drag on my muscle size gains?
>
> Yes, it will, depending on how much fat you want to lose, you may be
> only able to maintain the muscle that you have. It is extremely
> hard to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. It can be done,
> but not without a very dedicated and complex program.

This is also solid.

Jason

Lee Michaels
September 7th 06, 05:57 PM
"Hobbes" > wrote

> Sarcasm duly noted - and agreed upon.
>
> I'm thinking of doing the exact opposite. My primary sport is
> weightlifting and my secondary sports are baseball and curling (DON'T Go
> THERE! DON'T!!!). I've played around with combining powerlifting and
> weightlifting, but have decided it is too much.
>
> So I do olympic style weightlifting three times per week and two to
> three times per week I'm thinking of adding upper body aerobics to the
> mix.
>
> My weightlifting program is here:
>
> http://www.qwa.org/programs/tint13.asp
>
> For upper body aerobics I've got a light and heavy kettle bell and a
> bunch of bodyweight exericises I'd like to do. I use the kettlestack
> system of adjustable bells - you can see Krista's review of the product
> here:
>
> http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=49
>
> I'm thinking of just doing a series of intervals:
>
> handstand push-up
> hindu push-up
> gymnastics bridge
> 'archer' kb rows (heavy to light)
> kb curl to press (heavy to light)
> swings (I realize this isn't exactly upper body, but I like the feel and
> stretch - i'll probably just do a heavy set of 15 per hand)
>
> and then repeat.
>
> So MWF is weights.
>
> T-Th-S is upper body aerobics.
>
> Input?

An interesting approach.

I would tend to think that it would develop a little stability in the upper
body. Which is something that you seem to require given your great talent to
tear apart certain parts of your anatomy. It would be an aggressive type of
prehab training.

I like those kettlestacks. I have not seen them before. A lot of the
traditonal kettlebell manufactures talk about how good their handles are.
But this seems far superior in the handle department. Do you like the feel
of the grips and balance of these kettlestacks?

I would characterize this training approach as a basic weightlifting program
with some aggressive functional fitness added to it. It seems a little too
tame and conservative for you Keith. Are you getting older or wiser?

Jason Earl
September 7th 06, 05:58 PM
writes:

> What do you think about keeping my 5 workouts and adding 2-3 cardio
> sessions after those?

That's a heck of a lot of volume. You are already doing what I
consider to be a ridiculously high volume weight training routine.
Ten sets per muscle group is a *lot* unless you are talking about sets
of 1-3 reps. If you throw cardio on top of that all you are going to
do is spend a lot of time tired.

Just for giggles why don't you try using far less sets and reps (5 and
5 or less), way more weight, and then see if you still want to add
cardio?

Jason

Hobbes
September 7th 06, 06:17 PM
In article >,
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

> "Hobbes" > wrote
> >
> > Sarcasm duly noted - and agreed upon.
> >
> > I'm thinking of doing the exact opposite. My primary sport is
> > weightlifting and my secondary sports are baseball and curling (DON'T Go
> > THERE! DON'T!!!). I've played around with combining powerlifting and
> > weightlifting, but have decided it is too much.
> >
> > So I do olympic style weightlifting three times per week and two to
> > three times per week I'm thinking of adding upper body aerobics to the
> > mix.
> >
> > My weightlifting program is here:
> >
> > http://www.qwa.org/programs/tint13.asp
> >
> > For upper body aerobics I've got a light and heavy kettle bell and a
> > bunch of bodyweight exericises I'd like to do. I use the kettlestack
> > system of adjustable bells - you can see Krista's review of the product
> > here:
> >
> > http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=49
> >
> > I'm thinking of just doing a series of intervals:
> >
> > handstand push-up
> > hindu push-up
> > gymnastics bridge
> > 'archer' kb rows (heavy to light)
> > kb curl to press (heavy to light)
> > swings (I realize this isn't exactly upper body, but I like the feel and
> > stretch - i'll probably just do a heavy set of 15 per hand)
> >
> > and then repeat.
> >
> > So MWF is weights.
> >
> > T-Th-S is upper body aerobics.
> >
> > Input?
> >
> An interesting approach.
>
> I would tend to think that it would develop a little stability in the upper
> body. Which is something that you seem to require given your great talent to
> tear apart certain parts of your anatomy. It would be an aggressive type of
> prehab training.
>
> I like those kettlestacks. I have not seen them before. A lot of the
> traditonal kettlebell manufactures talk about how good their handles are.
> But this seems far superior in the handle department. Do you like the feel
> of the grips and balance of these kettlestacks?

They work fine for me. Handles are nice and the weight sits nicely. You
can get them shipped cheaply as well, which is cool. I already had the
places and wanted something to take on holidays in my van which wouldn't
roll around, hence the kettlestack.

> I would characterize this training approach as a basic weightlifting program
> with some aggressive functional fitness added to it. It seems a little too
> tame and conservative for you Keith. Are you getting older or wiser?

LOL!

Hopefully both, but older for sure.

--
Keith

Kettlebell Inc
September 7th 06, 10:18 PM
minnehaha wrote:
> Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> I work out 5 days in the gym like this (10 sets per muscle group per
> >> week):
> >>
> >> Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
> >> Tue - back, tri, shoulders
> >> Wed - complete legs
> >> Thu - chest, bic, ab
> >> Fri - back, tri, shoulders
> >>
> >> I have been working out for about 8 months and now would like to shed
> >> some fat.
> >> When would be the best time to add cardio to my workouts and how many
> >> days a week?
> >>

> > I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your program
> > take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
> > workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
> > strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
> > strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength workout
> > week.
> >

> He's right. You should work your upper body 4 times a week and not do
> any leg work at all. <rolls eyes>

minnehaha,

what part of
"..and let the cardio portion of your program
take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3

strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength
workout
week. "
didn't you understand? <rolls eyes>

John

Kettlebell Inc
September 8th 06, 02:02 AM
Jason Earl wrote:

> If jogging was a "leg workout" then all of the guys at the track at
> 6:00 A.M. wouldn't have bird legs. Most of them still even have guts
> to go with their bird legs.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest 'jogging' as the exercise of choice for him
here. I was thinking more along the lines of high rep hindu squats or
biking. (and really thinking high rep swings or snatches) He didn't
really specify what he was thinking for cardio. Or maybe looking for
suggestions.

Not sure how bodybuilders cut down. Do they do it mostly with diet
while still doing a bodybuilding routine? or do they put in cardio
exercises as well?

> This, on the other hand, is good advice. Feel free to throw in a plug
> for kettlbells though, as they really are made to order for this sort
> of thing.

I thought about throwing in the plug for KBs but, with the ubiquity of
the dumbell, I thought it more appropriate to use dumbell in the
example. I obviously agree though, the KB is perfect for what he wants
to do. Ah yes, the ubiquity of the dumbell, maybe someday we will have
that with the kettlebell as well.. ;-)

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com

Jason Earl
September 8th 06, 05:26 AM
"Kettlebell Inc" > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>

>> If jogging was a "leg workout" then all of the guys at the track at
>> 6:00 A.M. wouldn't have bird legs. Most of them still even have guts
>> to go with their bird legs.
>
> Yeah, I wouldn't suggest 'jogging' as the exercise of choice for him
> here. I was thinking more along the lines of high rep hindu squats
> or biking. (and really thinking high rep swings or snatches) He
> didn't really specify what he was thinking for cardio. Or maybe
> looking for suggestions.

Just trying to make that clear. I have been able to come to grips
with the idea that some MFWers aren't interested in building their
lower bodies, but I refuse to acknowledge people that consider
"jogging" to be a leg workout :).

> Not sure how bodybuilders cut down. Do they do it mostly with diet
> while still doing a bodybuilding routine? or do they put in cardio
> exercises as well?

It turns out my neighbor is a former Mr. Utah. He told me that
getting lean was all about his diet. He had a spreadsheet...

Of course, he still has a ridiculous work capacity, and so I am sure
that exercise played a key role.

>> This, on the other hand, is good advice. Feel free to throw in a
>> plug for kettlbells though, as they really are made to order for
>> this sort of thing.
>
> I thought about throwing in the plug for KBs but, with the ubiquity
> of the dumbell, I thought it more appropriate to use dumbell in the
> example. I obviously agree though, the KB is perfect for what he
> wants to do. Ah yes, the ubiquity of the dumbell, maybe someday we
> will have that with the kettlebell as well.. ;-)

Kettlebells are pretty popular now, and I don't see their popularity
waning any time soon.

Jason

minnehaha
September 8th 06, 04:56 PM
Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> minnehaha wrote:
>> Kettlebell Inc wrote:

>>> I would cut out leg training and let the cardio portion of your program
>>> take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
>>> workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
>>> strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
>>> strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength workout
>>> week.
>>>
>> He's right. You should work your upper body 4 times a week and not do
>> any leg work at all. <rolls eyes>
>
> minnehaha,
>
> what part of
> "..and let the cardio portion of your program
> take care of most your leg work. Alternate weeks of 3 cardio
> workouts/2 strength-bodybuilding workouts and 2 cardio workouts/3
>
> strength-bodybuilding workouts. Whatever gets skimped on in the 3
> strength workouts, put more empasis on it the next 3 strength
> workout
> week. "
> didn't you understand? <rolls eyes>
>
> John

You really think that cardio constitutes "working legs"? You are an idiot.

minnehaha
September 8th 06, 04:58 PM
Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> Jason Earl wrote:
>

>> If jogging was a "leg workout" then all of the guys at the track at
>> 6:00 A.M. wouldn't have bird legs. Most of them still even have guts
>> to go with their bird legs.
>
> Yeah, I wouldn't suggest 'jogging' as the exercise of choice for him
> here. I was thinking more along the lines of high rep hindu squats or
> biking. (and really thinking high rep swings or snatches) He didn't
> really specify what he was thinking for cardio. Or maybe looking for
> suggestions.
>
> Not sure how bodybuilders cut down. Do they do it mostly with diet
> while still doing a bodybuilding routine? or do they put in cardio
> exercises as well?

If you have to ask these questions then you have no business
recommending a workout to someone. Especially one that uses cardio to
"work legs". You're advertising your ignorance.

Kettlebell Inc
September 8th 06, 05:33 PM
minnehaha wrote:

> If you have to ask these questions then you have no business
> recommending a workout to someone. Especially one that uses cardio to
> "work legs". You're advertising your ignorance.

.... he flexes his internet muscles.. bravely criticizing others advice
with not a word of his own... striking terror in the minds of all
newsgroup readers....

Let's hear your advice, minne.. add to your most impressive list of
like 3 posts to any strength and fitness group...

Or better yet, go grab a dumbell, about 30-40% of what you'd front
squat for 5 reps and do 4-5 sets of 20 reps of lunges, each leg..
then let me know how your legs feel. Do you think you would work your
legs with this "cardio" type of workout?

and leave the "weights" talk to the big boys..

John

Jason Earl
September 8th 06, 06:13 PM
minnehaha > writes:

> Kettlebell Inc wrote:
>> Jason Earl wrote:
>>

>>> If jogging was a "leg workout" then all of the guys at the track at
>>> 6:00 A.M. wouldn't have bird legs. Most of them still even have guts
>>> to go with their bird legs.
>>
>> Yeah, I wouldn't suggest 'jogging' as the exercise of choice for him
>> here. I was thinking more along the lines of high rep hindu squats or
>> biking. (and really thinking high rep swings or snatches) He didn't
>> really specify what he was thinking for cardio. Or maybe looking for
>> suggestions.
>>
>> Not sure how bodybuilders cut down. Do they do it mostly with diet
>> while still doing a bodybuilding routine? or do they put in cardio
>> exercises as well?
>
> If you have to ask these questions then you have no business
> recommending a workout to someone. Especially one that uses cardio
> to "work legs". You're advertising your ignorance.

What are you talking about? There are probably as many "ways for a
bodybuilder to cut down" as there are bodybuilders. Besides,
bodybuilders aren't the only people that try and lose weight to
compete. Do you have any idea how wrestlers make weight? How does
that differ from what powerlifters might try? Does the time of the
weigh in make any difference?

For the record both high rep hindu squats and cycling are excellent
mass builders for the lower body. They are also excellent forms of
cardio. All the cyclists that I know have huge quads. Both you and I
assumed that John meant "jogging" when he said "cardio," but
apparently that wasn't the case.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 8th 06, 06:14 PM
"Kettlebell Inc" > writes:

> minnehaha wrote:
>

>> If you have to ask these questions then you have no business
>> recommending a workout to someone. Especially one that uses cardio
>> to "work legs". You're advertising your ignorance.
>
> ... he flexes his internet muscles.. bravely criticizing others
> advice with not a word of his own... striking terror in the minds of
> all newsgroup readers....
>
> Let's hear your advice, minne.. add to your most impressive list of
> like 3 posts to any strength and fitness group...
>
> Or better yet, go grab a dumbell, about 30-40% of what you'd front
> squat for 5 reps and do 4-5 sets of 20 reps of lunges, each leg..
> then let me know how your legs feel. Do you think you would work
> your legs with this "cardio" type of workout?

> better) and leave the "weights" talk to the big boys..

Your response was much better than mine.

Jason

minnehaha
September 12th 06, 04:58 PM
Kettlebell Inc wrote:
> minnehaha wrote:
>
>> If you have to ask these questions then you have no business
>> recommending a workout to someone. Especially one that uses cardio to
>> "work legs". You're advertising your ignorance.
>
> ... he flexes his internet muscles.. bravely criticizing others advice
> with not a word of his own... striking terror in the minds of all
> newsgroup readers....
>
> Let's hear your advice, minne.. add to your most impressive list of
> like 3 posts to any strength and fitness group...
>
> Or better yet, go grab a dumbell, about 30-40% of what you'd front
> squat for 5 reps and do 4-5 sets of 20 reps of lunges, each leg..
> then let me know how your legs feel. Do you think you would work your
> legs with this "cardio" type of workout?

> and leave the "weights" talk to the big boys..
>
> John

So now you're stalking me by looking up my posting history. Nice. I've
been posting on this group for 10 years under one handle or another,
smart guy.

You want me recommendations for the OP? Okay, I'll bite since you need
the education. The original workout:

Mon - chest, bic, ab, calves
Tue - back, tri, shoulders
Wed - complete legs
Thu - chest, bic, ab
Fri - back, tri, shoulders

....should be changed to something like this if cardio is to be added:

Mon - legs (squats, SLDL, standing barbell calf raises)
Tue - cardio
Wed - chest/shoulders (bench, military, dumbell incline, dips)
Thur- cardio
Fri - back/abs (deadlifts, chin ups, bent-over rows, crunches)
Sat - cardio
Sun - off

Change up exercises every 6-8 weeks. Work 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps each
after a warm up set or two. Work to failure as much as possible.

Happy now?

Kettlebell Inc
September 13th 06, 12:54 AM
minnehaha wrote:
>. Work to failure as much as possible.
>
> Happy now?

cool, thanks. I wholeheartedly disagree with the work to failure as
much as possible, but that's just me. I advocate never working to
failure in regular workouts, only to test 1 rep maxes.

John

Kettlebell Inc
September 13th 06, 01:15 AM
Kettlebell Inc wrote:

> only to test 1 rep maxes.
>
> John

oops, sorry, meant "rep maxes" without the "1"

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com