PDA

View Full Version : High Volume MP3 Damage Hearing

Lisa
September 7th 06, 02:36 PM
MP3 players should carry warnings that users risk damage to their
hearing by having the volume too high, a deafness charity says.

A Royal National Institute for Deaf People poll of 10s of MP3 users at
one London station found eight out of 10 had machines at more than 80
decibels.
The charity says young people should be warned that they are risking
premature hearing damage.
It said there had been some interest in the idea from industry.
Read Full Article at
http://www.pkblogs.com/tophealthtips/2006/09/high-volume-mp3-damage-hearing.html

Mental Health
http://pkblogs.com/racing-minds

Lucas Buck
September 8th 06, 12:30 AM
On 7 Sep 2006 06:36:09 -0700, "Lisa" > wrote:

>MP3 players should carry warnings that users risk damage to their
>hearing by having the volume too high, a deafness charity says.
>
>A Royal National Institute for Deaf People poll of 10s of MP3 users at
>one London station found eight out of 10 had machines at more than 80
>decibels.

Well, duh... if they are DEAF, they aren't hearing much at below 80 dB.

JMW
September 8th 06, 06:27 AM
"Lisa" > wrote:

>MP3 players should carry warnings that users risk damage to their
>hearing by having the volume too high, a deafness charity says.
>
>A Royal National Institute for Deaf People poll of 10s of MP3 users at
>one London station found eight out of 10 had machines at more than 80
>decibels.
>The charity says young people should be warned that they are risking
>premature hearing damage.

I'm not nearly as concerned about kids with MP3 players as I am about
Borgs with cell phones permanently grafted onto their heads.

Charles
September 8th 06, 08:40 AM
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:30:40 -0700, Lucas Buck
> wrote:

>On 7 Sep 2006 06:36:09 -0700, "Lisa" > wrote:
>

>>MP3 players should carry warnings that users risk damage to their
>>hearing by having the volume too high, a deafness charity says.
>>
>>A Royal National Institute for Deaf People poll of 10s of MP3 users at
>>one London station found eight out of 10 had machines at more than 80
>>decibels.
>
>Well, duh... if they are DEAF, they aren't hearing much at below 80 dB.

You appear to have misunderstood "Lucas"; it's not the already "DEAF"
that are at risk of future hearing problems from decibel levels above
80. You see - they are already "DEAF"!

The warning was in fact to people that aren't currently deaf, advising
them that they risked acute hearing problems later in life, if they
continued using their MP3's at exaggerated volume levels.

Er... I suppose a reciprocal "duh..." is probably appropriate and
deserving, but I am loth to be provocative to an 'old chum', on a
gloriously sunny Autumn Friday.

Have a great weekend; as usual - I intend to! ;o)

TFIF!