PDA

View Full Version : October 2006 Runner's World

Curt James
September 8th 06, 12:34 AM
A cool illustration by Matt Mahurin on page 116 leads off an article
regarding Justin Gatlin testing positive for testosterone. From the
article:

"On July 29, news broke that Justin Gatlin, co-owner of the world
record for the 100 meters, tested positive for testosterone after an
April meet in in Kansas. Word of Gatlin's failed test - coming just
three days after reports that Tour de France winner Floyd Landis also
had tested positive for testosterone - left runners and sports fans
alike shocked, angry, and feeling a bit duped. Gatlin had gained a
following for his recent success on the track (gold in the 100 meters
at the 2004 Olympics, victories in the 100 and 200 meters at the 2005
World Championships), as well as his antidrug position off it. He was a
powerful voice, especially among young runners, for achieving success
naturally, not synthetically. Gatlin now faces banishment from the
sport, and his coach, Trevor Graham - long linked to runners tainted by
doping charges - has been barred from the U.S. Olympic Committee
training facilities."
/quote

The article continues with a panel of track and distance-running
leaders discussing the sport's drug problem. An interesting read and
well worth the $4.50US cover price, imo.

--
Curt

Steve Freides
September 8th 06, 03:21 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A cool illustration by Matt Mahurin on page 116 leads off an article
> regarding Justin Gatlin testing positive for testosterone. From the
> article:
>
> "On July 29, news broke that Justin Gatlin, co-owner of the world
> record for the 100 meters, tested positive for testosterone after an
> April meet in in Kansas. Word of Gatlin's failed test - coming just
> three days after reports that Tour de France winner Floyd Landis also
> had tested positive for testosterone - left runners and sports fans
> alike shocked, angry, and feeling a bit duped. Gatlin had gained a
> following for his recent success on the track (gold in the 100 meters
> at the 2004 Olympics, victories in the 100 and 200 meters at the 2005
> World Championships), as well as his antidrug position off it. He was
> powerful voice, especially among young runners, for achieving success
> naturally, not synthetically. Gatlin now faces banishment from the
> sport, and his coach, Trevor Graham - long linked to runners tainted
> by
> doping charges - has been barred from the U.S. Olympic Committee
> training facilities."
> /quote
>
> The article continues with a panel of track and distance-running
> leaders discussing the sport's drug problem. An interesting read and
> well worth the $4.50US cover price, imo.

Personally, my inclination is to find fault with the tests that found
Gatlin and Landis positive, not with the athletes. I have no science to
either support or refute my position, just my gut reaction.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Curt James
September 8th 06, 03:33 AM
Shute wrote:
[...]

re Justin Gatlin testing positive for testosterone

> Is this a joke?

Does Runner's World run an April Fool's Day issue?

Is it April?

> I was waiting for the punchline throughout the read.

I don't think there's a punchline unless you count Frank Shorter's
"Yes" vote re the question, "Can drugs ever be totally eradicated from
the sport?"

ahahahahHAHAH! He said YES! Of course he has an obvious bias as one who
helped launch the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which
oversees testing for the U.S. Olympic Committee.

> He might be French but I would expect to have
> at least a little testosterone.

Um, Shute? Justin Gatlin, born in Brooklyn, New York, is - yeah, you
guessed it - an *American* sprinter. ;o)

--
Curt

Curt James
September 8th 06, 03:40 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

re Justin Gatlin testing positive for testosterone

> Personally, my inclination is to find fault with the tests
> that found Gatlin and Landis positive, not with the athletes.

I hope that's the case and that Gatlin is cleared. Likewise Landis, who
purchased his first bicycle from a bike shop in my old stomping
grounds.

> I have no science to either support or refute my position,
> just my gut reaction.

Gut reactions are often a good thing to go by. For more on Gatlin, see
the Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Gatlin

--
Curt