PDA

View Full Version : belly fat wont go away


Richard
September 8th 06, 09:16 PM
I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my size, 5'
11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small that
might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do cardio
because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained in the
past two months.

If you are bulking up for awhile, would you say that the longer you bulk up,
the less muscle you will loose when finally cutting? Doesn't fat go away
faster than muscle? I'm confused because it seems like a 1 step forward, 1
step back sort of thing to me.

Neil Gendzwill
September 8th 06, 09:32 PM
Richard wrote:
> I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my size, 5'
> 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small that
> might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do cardio
> because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained in the
> past two months.

What do you mean by "belly fat"? You have a pot that won't go away, or
are you expecting a six-pack?

Neil

Steve Freides
September 8th 06, 10:36 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my size,
> 5'
> 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small that
> might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do cardio
> because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained in
> the
> past two months.
>
> If you are bulking up for awhile, would you say that the longer you bulk
> up,
> the less muscle you will loose when finally cutting? Doesn't fat go away
> faster than muscle? I'm confused because it seems like a 1 step forward, 1
> step back sort of thing to me.

For most people most of the time, you're better off losing the bodyfat then
worrying about putting on muscle, because you'll add some fat while you add
muscle, anyway.

Get your bodyfat checked in a way you're confident is accurate, do some
reading about diet, and give it a go.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Richard
September 8th 06, 10:39 PM
"Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
...
> Richard wrote:
> > I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my
size, 5'
> > 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small that
> > might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do cardio
> > because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained in
the
> > past two months.
>
> What do you mean by "belly fat"? You have a pot that won't go away, or
> are you expecting a six-pack?
>
> Neil

I have a 6 pack and I can see the upper portion quite a bit.. but not the
lower portion. I can feel it but don't see it. Its covered by a blob of fat
that won't go away. I've had urges to cut and remove, but I might bleed to
death. The stubborn crap just won't go away.

Richard

Richard
September 8th 06, 10:41 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
...
> "Richard" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my
size,
> > 5'
> > 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small that
> > might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do cardio
> > because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained in
> > the
> > past two months.
> >
> > If you are bulking up for awhile, would you say that the longer you bulk
> > up,
> > the less muscle you will loose when finally cutting? Doesn't fat go away
> > faster than muscle? I'm confused because it seems like a 1 step forward,
1
> > step back sort of thing to me.
>
> For most people most of the time, you're better off losing the bodyfat
then
> worrying about putting on muscle, because you'll add some fat while you
add
> muscle, anyway.
>
> Get your bodyfat checked in a way you're confident is accurate, do some
> reading about diet, and give it a go.

I had it measured by a fitness expert. Its 15.5% - a little less now. That
was a month ago.
Thanks.

> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com
>
>

Neil Gendzwill
September 8th 06, 10:53 PM
Richard wrote:
>
>
> I have a 6 pack and I can see the upper portion quite a bit.. but not the
> lower portion. I can feel it but don't see it. Its covered by a blob of fat
> that won't go away. I've had urges to cut and remove, but I might bleed to
> death. The stubborn crap just won't go away.

At 15% bf, you won't see a 6 pack. You need to be under 10% typically,
but that's very hard to maintain.

Hope you're joking about the cutting bit.

Neil

Steve Freides
September 8th 06, 11:01 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> ...
>> "Richard" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my
> size,
>> > 5'
>> > 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small
>> > that
>> > might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do cardio
>> > because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained in
>> > the
>> > past two months.
>> >
>> > If you are bulking up for awhile, would you say that the longer you
>> > bulk
>> > up,
>> > the less muscle you will loose when finally cutting? Doesn't fat go
>> > away
>> > faster than muscle? I'm confused because it seems like a 1 step
>> > forward,
> 1
>> > step back sort of thing to me.
>>
>> For most people most of the time, you're better off losing the bodyfat
> then
>> worrying about putting on muscle, because you'll add some fat while you
> add
>> muscle, anyway.
>>
>> Get your bodyfat checked in a way you're confident is accurate, do some
>> reading about diet, and give it a go.
>
> I had it measured by a fitness expert. Its 15.5% - a little less now. That
> was a month ago.
> Thanks.

How old are you?

Some people's fat is more concentrated in their belly than others - that's
just life. You will have to lose bodyfat overall to get that to go down.

Post your actual diet for a few days, please.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Richard
September 9th 06, 01:02 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
...
> "Richard" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >> "Richard" > wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]
> >> > I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my
> > size,
> >> > 5'
> >> > 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small
> >> > that
> >> > might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do
cardio
> >> > because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have gained
in
> >> > the
> >> > past two months.
> >> >
> >> > If you are bulking up for awhile, would you say that the longer you
> >> > bulk
> >> > up,
> >> > the less muscle you will loose when finally cutting? Doesn't fat go
> >> > away
> >> > faster than muscle? I'm confused because it seems like a 1 step
> >> > forward,
> > 1
> >> > step back sort of thing to me.
> >>
> >> For most people most of the time, you're better off losing the bodyfat
> > then
> >> worrying about putting on muscle, because you'll add some fat while you
> > add
> >> muscle, anyway.
> >>
> >> Get your bodyfat checked in a way you're confident is accurate, do some
> >> reading about diet, and give it a go.
> >
> > I had it measured by a fitness expert. Its 15.5% - a little less now.
That
> > was a month ago.
> > Thanks.
>
> How old are you?
>
> Some people's fat is more concentrated in their belly than others - that's
> just life. You will have to lose bodyfat overall to get that to go down.
>
> Post your actual diet for a few days, please.


On days when I lift weights its 2000 to 3000 calories depending on how much
I do, but on days I do squats and abs, etc., its only 1500 or fewer.. this
is the diet:

#1
Breakfast: 3-5 eggs, 1 slice bacon, 1 slice wheat toast, tea no sugar.
Lunch: Roast beef sandwich (1/4lb), one slice of bread on the bottom
in-between lunch & dinner: protein shake with 1% milk (25g protein)
Dinner: 1/2lb steak or turkey, mixed veggies, sometimes sweet potatoes but
not often

#2
Cream of wheat or oatmeal, 1 slice toast, ginger root tea
Tuna sandwich on wheat (1 slice), boiled egg, a few potato chips (big
deal?), tea
Protein shake 1% milk
Hamburger (very lean), 1 side of bun, baked beans, tea

#3
Oatmeal, 1% milk, 1 slice toast
Soup & sandwich with lots of turkey (again, one slice of bread), a few
crackers
Protein shake 1% milk
half of roast chicken (breast, thigh, leg, wing), sweet potatoes, veggies,
tea

An apple, pecans, raisins here and there.

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I'll eat a half of a Mc Donalds grilled
chicken sandwich on one slice of wheat bun with a small dr. pepper. But
that's not too often.

I think its reasonable. No ice cream, cool whip, doughnuts, pizza, candy
bars, etc.

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun I work upper body, arms, chest, etc. The other days I do
squats (just started those three weeks ago), abs, exercise bike on
super-difficult setting for 5 minutes (like sprinting). have been doing that
for months. 5' 11", 158lb, 15" bicep, 12" forearm, 33" waist. There's
virtually no fat on my upper body (arms, chest, etc.).. it has ALL
accumulated around my stomach. I see two large ab muscles just below my
first rib cage, and below I have about 2" x 6" of fat that just will not go
away. But I've had this since 15 years old. I'm 31 now. A few months ago
when I was doing the bike every day, I dropped from 30% on the stomach down
to 18% (using a caliper). I think I could get it down pretty low, but I had
to stop the bike because my arms were shrinking (you could see it!). I lost
an inch or two on my arms using the bike with a 1000 calorie diet. But it
was the only way I could get some of the flab off.

Richard



> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com
>
>

Richard
September 9th 06, 01:31 AM
BTW, this 7 point body fat page is telling me I have 12.02% bf. But I have
about 18% to 19% (depending on where I measure) 1 to 2" on the left or right
the navel area: http://www.rustyiron.net/formmal7.htm - is this calculator
accurate?

"Richard" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> ...
> > "Richard" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> > > ...
> > >> "Richard" > wrote in message
> > >> news:[email protected]
> > >> > I've been lifting weights and doing squats. I'm fairly small for my
> > > size,
> > >> > 5'
> > >> > 11" at 158 pounds. my arms are showing some progress (however small
> > >> > that
> > >> > might be), but my stomach fat won't go away. I don't want to do
> cardio
> > >> > because I'm afraid of loosing the little bit of muscle I have
gained
> in
> > >> > the
> > >> > past two months.
> > >> >
> > >> > If you are bulking up for awhile, would you say that the longer you
> > >> > bulk
> > >> > up,
> > >> > the less muscle you will loose when finally cutting? Doesn't fat go
> > >> > away
> > >> > faster than muscle? I'm confused because it seems like a 1 step
> > >> > forward,
> > > 1
> > >> > step back sort of thing to me.
> > >>
> > >> For most people most of the time, you're better off losing the
bodyfat
> > > then
> > >> worrying about putting on muscle, because you'll add some fat while
you
> > > add
> > >> muscle, anyway.
> > >>
> > >> Get your bodyfat checked in a way you're confident is accurate, do
some
> > >> reading about diet, and give it a go.
> > >
> > > I had it measured by a fitness expert. Its 15.5% - a little less now.
> That
> > > was a month ago.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > How old are you?
> >
> > Some people's fat is more concentrated in their belly than others -
that's
> > just life. You will have to lose bodyfat overall to get that to go
down.
> >
> > Post your actual diet for a few days, please.
>
>
> On days when I lift weights its 2000 to 3000 calories depending on how
much
> I do, but on days I do squats and abs, etc., its only 1500 or fewer.. this
> is the diet:
>
> #1
> Breakfast: 3-5 eggs, 1 slice bacon, 1 slice wheat toast, tea no sugar.
> Lunch: Roast beef sandwich (1/4lb), one slice of bread on the bottom
> in-between lunch & dinner: protein shake with 1% milk (25g protein)
> Dinner: 1/2lb steak or turkey, mixed veggies, sometimes sweet potatoes but
> not often
>
> #2
> Cream of wheat or oatmeal, 1 slice toast, ginger root tea
> Tuna sandwich on wheat (1 slice), boiled egg, a few potato chips (big
> deal?), tea
> Protein shake 1% milk
> Hamburger (very lean), 1 side of bun, baked beans, tea
>
> #3
> Oatmeal, 1% milk, 1 slice toast
> Soup & sandwich with lots of turkey (again, one slice of bread), a few
> crackers
> Protein shake 1% milk
> half of roast chicken (breast, thigh, leg, wing), sweet potatoes, veggies,
> tea
>
> An apple, pecans, raisins here and there.
>
> Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I'll eat a half of a Mc Donalds grilled
> chicken sandwich on one slice of wheat bun with a small dr. pepper. But
> that's not too often.
>
> I think its reasonable. No ice cream, cool whip, doughnuts, pizza, candy
> bars, etc.
>
> Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun I work upper body, arms, chest, etc. The other days I
do
> squats (just started those three weeks ago), abs, exercise bike on
> super-difficult setting for 5 minutes (like sprinting). have been doing
that
> for months. 5' 11", 158lb, 15" bicep, 12" forearm, 33" waist. There's
> virtually no fat on my upper body (arms, chest, etc.).. it has ALL
> accumulated around my stomach. I see two large ab muscles just below my
> first rib cage, and below I have about 2" x 6" of fat that just will not
go
> away. But I've had this since 15 years old. I'm 31 now. A few months ago
> when I was doing the bike every day, I dropped from 30% on the stomach
down
> to 18% (using a caliper). I think I could get it down pretty low, but I
had
> to stop the bike because my arms were shrinking (you could see it!). I
lost
> an inch or two on my arms using the bike with a 1000 calorie diet. But it
> was the only way I could get some of the flab off.
>
> Richard
>
>
>
> > -S-
> > http://www.kbnj.com
> >
> >
>
>

JMW
September 9th 06, 06:02 AM
"Richard" > wrote:

>BTW, this 7 point body fat page is telling me I have 12.02% bf. But I have
>about 18% to 19% (depending on where I measure) 1 to 2" on the left or right
>the navel area: http://www.rustyiron.net/formmal7.htm - is this calculator
>accurate?

Only as accurate as the skinfold measurements.

joanne
September 9th 06, 08:05 PM
Richard wrote:
> On days when I lift weights its 2000 to 3000 calories depending on how much
> I do, but on days I do squats and abs, etc., its only 1500 or fewer.. this
> is the diet:

Zigzagging calories is a good thing to keep your body guessing, however
it may be that your overall weekly calorie total is too much for the
amount of exercise/activities you do. People typically overestimate the
amount of exercise they do and or their perceived exertion - they stay
in their 'comfort zone' - and they tend to underestimate their
calories. A few of thisnthat easily adds up especially with calorie
dense foods like nuts, raisons etc.

> Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I'll eat a half of a Mc Donalds grilled
> chicken sandwich on one slice of wheat bun with a small dr. pepper. But
> that's not too often. I think its reasonable. No ice cream, cool whip, doughnuts,
> pizza, candy bars, etc.

Not bad, could be better. Do you actually track calories? Try Fitday
online at http://www.fitday.com and it might give you a better picture
of just how much protein/carbs/fats you actually eat and then you can
make adjustments if necessary.

> There's virtually no fat on my upper body (arms, chest, etc.).. it has ALL
> accumulated around my stomach. I see two large ab muscles just below my
> first rib cage, and below I have about 2" x 6" of fat that just will not go
> away. But I've had this since 15 years old. I'm 31 now.

The first place one accumulates fat is usually the last place for it to
go. You may be on the right track but just need to step things up a bit
and have some patience.

> A few months ago when I was doing the bike every day, I dropped from
30%
> on the stomach down to 18% (using a caliper). I think I could get it down
> pretty low, but I had to stop the bike because my arms were shrinking (you could
> see it!). I lost an inch or two on my arms using the bike with a 1000 calorie diet.
> But it was the only way I could get some of the flab off.

The reason you perceived that your arms were 'shrinking' is probably a
loss of bodyfat on them. Lots of guys have 'big arms' but its more fat
than muscle. Altho 1000 calories is certainly way too low, I think you
need to add back the cardio to see the last of the bellyfat go away.
Lower your weekly calories by say a modest 500 calories, increase the
amount of fiber in your diet (more vegetables/fruit/whole grains) and
dont forget to add in new exercises and or change your weights routine
on a regular basis.


joanne

Pete
September 10th 06, 10:24 AM
"Richard" > schreef:

> On days when I lift weights its 2000 to 3000 calories depending on how
> much
> I do...

Perhaps that is where you go wrong.
You are assuming that you burn a lot of calories while you lift heavy, but
you dont.

Eat the same amount each day, perhaps with a slight increase on protein on
the days you lift...

----
Pete

September 18th 06, 02:39 PM
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

> Richard wrote:
> >
> >
> > I have a 6 pack and I can see the upper portion quite a bit.. but not the
> > lower portion. I can feel it but don't see it. Its covered by a blob of fat
> > that won't go away. I've had urges to cut and remove, but I might bleed to
> > death. The stubborn crap just won't go away.
>
> At 15% bf, you won't see a 6 pack. You need to be under 10% typically,
> but that's very hard to maintain.
>
> Hope you're joking about the cutting bit.
>
> Neil

Bugger. No chance for me at 31% BF then !!!!! :-)

Would need a chainsaw to cut my fat off !!!!

Jason Earl
September 18th 06, 08:14 PM
" > writes:

> Neil Gendzwill wrote:
>
>> Richard wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > I have a 6 pack and I can see the upper portion quite a bit.. but
>> > not the lower portion. I can feel it but don't see it. Its
>> > covered by a blob of fat that won't go away. I've had urges to
>> > cut and remove, but I might bleed to death. The stubborn crap
>> > just won't go away.
>>
>> At 15% bf, you won't see a 6 pack. You need to be under 10%
>> typically, but that's very hard to maintain.
>>
>> Hope you're joking about the cutting bit.
>>
>> Neil
>
> Bugger. No chance for me at 31% BF then !!!!! :-)
>
> Would need a chainsaw to cut my fat off !!!!

No, it will just take time. It took you a while to get that big, and
it will take a while for you to get rid of the extra weight. In the
meantime concentrate on the progress you've made.

Jason