PDA

View Full Version : home gym without machine **Question

enquiring minds
September 9th 06, 06:51 PM
Mostly I attend a well equipped community gym but sometimes I can't and
instead of missing my workout
I would like to workout at home with bench, rack, leg extension/flexion
unit and free weights and add a 3rd workout day.

- this excellent gym routine given to me by a buddy takes 45 minutes, is
4 sets / 15 reps alternating between the two grouped exercises twice a
week. (started routine going to the gym 4 months ago and lost 30
pounds so far)
- once a week I walk/run 400 stairs X 5 reps, working to 6 reps. I play
basketball twice a week.
- I have been losing a pound a week as desired (14-24 pounds to go)
eating carefully. (am middle aged)

abs crunches (to exhaustion)
**question here > lat pulldowns (machine) ---- is a good substitution at
home dumbbell rowing?

squats
dumbbell flies

lunges
dumbbell arm curls

dumb bell shrugs
side dumbbell lateral raises

dumb bell military press
front dumbbell raises

knee flexion sitting (machine) can do at home, too
**question here > triceps pushdown machine V-bar (machine) is a good
substitution at home upper arm elbow
extension,
triceps using barbell behind head

knee flexion sitting (machine) can do at home, too
**question here > triceps pulldown short bar with palms up - is a good
substitution at home lying
dumbbell
triceps extension to top of head or close-grip
bench press
or what do you suggest?

Thanks for any suggestions or criticisms.

Kettlebell Inc
September 10th 06, 02:51 PM
enquiring minds wrote:

> **question here > lat pulldowns (machine) ---- is a good substitution at
> home dumbbell rowing?

yes, dumbbell rowing is a good substitute. doubles even better because
you'll be bringing your stabilizer muscles more into the picture. you
can also adjust the point to which you row to emphasize more of your
lower lats or more of your traps. rowing higher up to your chest will
hit the traps more. rowing to lower down your torso with hit your
lower lats more. pullups and chins are another excellent alternative.

> **question here > triceps pushdown machine V-bar (machine) is a good
> substitution at home upper arm elbow
> extension,
> triceps using barbell behind head

those will work. feel them out though, as they can be hard on the
tendons around your elbow. if you're starting to feel anything in your
elbows, they could be the culprit. some other alternatives are close
grip bench presses, pushups with a narrow hand position, pushups with a
wide hand position, and to a lesser degree dumbell MPs more toward the
back, and heavy dumbell floor presses

> or what do you suggest?

ab wheel rollouts is a great substitute for endless crunches. you'll
feel a set of 10-12 ab wheel rollouts a lot more than 50 or so
crunches... you can also roll out on a curved path to emphasize the
obliques as well.

Just some thoughts. Congrats on your progress, sounds like you're
doing really well.

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com

David
September 10th 06, 06:09 PM
"Kettlebell Inc" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> enquiring minds wrote:
>

>> **question here > lat pulldowns (machine) ---- is a good substitution at
>> home dumbbell rowing?
>
> yes, dumbbell rowing is a good substitute. doubles even better because
> you'll be bringing your stabilizer muscles more into the picture. you
> can also adjust the point to which you row to emphasize more of your
> lower lats or more of your traps. rowing higher up to your chest will
> hit the traps more. rowing to lower down your torso with hit your
> lower lats more. pullups and chins are another excellent alternative.
>
>> **question here > triceps pushdown machine V-bar (machine) is a good
>> substitution at home upper arm elbow
>> extension,
>> triceps using barbell behind head
>>

> those will work. feel them out though, as they can be hard on the
> tendons around your elbow. if you're starting to feel anything in your
> elbows, they could be the culprit. some other alternatives are close
> grip bench presses, pushups with a narrow hand position, pushups with a
> wide hand position, and to a lesser degree dumbell MPs more toward the
> back, and heavy dumbell floor presses
>

>> or what do you suggest?
>>

> ab wheel rollouts is a great substitute for endless crunches. you'll
> feel a set of 10-12 ab wheel rollouts a lot more than 50 or so
> crunches... you can also roll out on a curved path to emphasize the
> obliques as well.

I've been looking for that book of Pavels with a title something like "Rock
Hard Abs in 5 Minutes"? Is that available?

> Just some thoughts. Congrats on your progress, sounds like you're
> doing really well.
>
> John
> http://www.kettlebellinc.com

Curt James
September 10th 06, 06:35 PM
David wrote:
[...]

> I've been looking for that book of Pavels with a title
> something like "Rock Hard Abs in 5 Minutes"?
> Is that available?

Hmm. How about "Bullet-Proof Abs"? It's a 2nd Edition of Beyond
Crunches by Pavel Tsatsouline. See:
http://www.cbass.com/Product_Pavel.htm#theory

Denise Austin offered something called Rock Hard Abs, but it's
unavailable (from Amazon at least). See:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004CW1H.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1072709825_.jpg

--
Curt

David
September 10th 06, 09:26 PM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> David wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I've been looking for that book of Pavels with a title
>> something like "Rock Hard Abs in 5 Minutes"?
>> Is that available?
>
> Hmm. How about "Bullet-Proof Abs"? It's a 2nd Edition of Beyond
> Crunches by Pavel Tsatsouline. See:
> http://www.cbass.com/Product_Pavel.htm#theory
>
> Denise Austin offered something called Rock Hard Abs, but it's
> unavailable (from Amazon at least). See:
> http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004CW1H.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1072709825_.jpg

Thanks Curt - but I was hoping to have them real quick and without whole lot
of effort (know what I mean) That's why I thought if it says " . . . . in
5 minutes" then if in the worst case say it took 10 minutes, what the heck
what;s another 5 minutes in the scheme of things??

Curt James
September 11th 06, 01:19 AM
David wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote
> > David wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> I've been looking for that book of Pavels with a title
> >> something like "Rock Hard Abs in 5 Minutes"?
> >> Is that available?
> >
> > Hmm. How about "Bullet-Proof Abs"? <snip>
>
> Thanks Curt - but I was hoping to have them real quick

You want real quick??? Come on! What's faster than a speeding bullet,
David!?

> and without whole lot of effort (know what I mean)

Hey, I got my "abs" without a whole lot of effort. BUDDHA BELLY
ROCKS!!!!!

Ahem. And... ba dump bump! Yes, folks, remember to tip your bartender
and weight, er, wait staff. I'll be here all week. Good night!

> That's why I thought if it says " . . . . in 5 minutes" then if
> in the worst case say it took 10 minutes, what the heck
> what;s another 5 minutes in the scheme of things??

Oh.

Well, I rarely take things literally. I mean, heck, if I did then i
SURE wouldn't approach that whole "Bullet-Proof Abs" technique! Yikes!

"Okay, sir, let's test that theory, shall we? Come now! The book says
BULLET-PROOF! Let's go. Tense your abs and... pull!"

No.

Seriously, if you believe Lee Priest, it's all diet. Your abs are there
and simply have to have the adipose (oooh, THERE's a PubMeddy word)
stripped away.

Best of luck!

--
Curt

David
September 11th 06, 09:24 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> David wrote:
>> "Curt James" wrote
>> > David wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Hmm. How about "Bullet-Proof Abs"? <snip>
>>
>> Thanks Curt - but I was hoping to have them real quick
>
> You want real quick??? Come on! What's faster than a speeding bullet,
> David!?
>
>> and without whole lot of effort (know what I mean)
>
> Hey, I got my "abs" without a whole lot of effort. BUDDHA BELLY
> ROCKS!!!!!
>
> Ahem. And... ba dump bump! Yes, folks, remember to tip your bartender
> and weight, er, wait staff. I'll be here all week. Good night!
>
>> That's why I thought if it says " . . . . in 5 minutes" then if
>> in the worst case say it took 10 minutes, what the heck
>> what;s another 5 minutes in the scheme of things??
>
> Oh.
>
> Well, I rarely take things literally. I mean, heck, if I did then i
> SURE wouldn't approach that whole "Bullet-Proof Abs" technique! Yikes!
>
> "Okay, sir, let's test that theory, shall we? Come now! The book says
> BULLET-PROOF! Let's go. Tense your abs and... pull!"
>
> No.
>
> Seriously, if you believe Lee Priest, it's all diet. Your abs are there
> and simply have to have the adipose (oooh, THERE's a PubMeddy word)
> stripped away.
>
> Best of luck!

OK, on the basis of your post, I will drop my pursuit of the 6 pack in 5
minutes. Of course I realize that 5 mins is not realistic - boy you must
think I'm pretty dumb! Maybe half an hour to an hour would be more like it.
Let's not be silly here!
Basically what I plan to do right now is forget this whole abs thing and get
right into that bottle of Chagrine. Because next thing you know they'll be
say it takes a whole week to get 'those abs I've always wanted' - **** that!
ugh it's Monday ;o) (did 'he' ever patent that little signature sign?)

Curt James
September 11th 06, 09:41 PM
David wrote:
[...]

> Of course I realize that 5 mins is not realistic -

Again, if you believe Lee Priest then 5 minutes is very realistic.

> boy you must think I'm pretty dumb!

Quite the opposite.

> Maybe half an hour to an hour would be more like it.
> Let's not be silly here!

heh

> Basically what I plan to do right now is forget this whole abs
> thing and get right into that bottle of Chagrine.

Ack, you lush!

> Because next thing you know they'll be say it takes a
> whole week to get 'those abs I've always wanted' - **** that!

Well, you know the old saying... "Anything worth having is working hard
fo... OH, FORGET IT! GIVE ME INSTANT GRATIFICATION OR GIVE ME SOMETHING
*QUICKER!!!!*"

(Something like that, right?)

> ugh it's Monday ;o) (did 'he' ever patent that little signature sign?)

I don't know. I'm more concerned with the extra hits that I suspect
Williams' pop fitness website is getting simply based on MY stunning
visage being advertised therein. ;o)

--
Curt

David
September 12th 06, 12:57 PM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> David wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Of course I realize that 5 mins is not realistic -
>
> Again, if you believe Lee Priest then 5 minutes is very realistic.
>
>> boy you must think I'm pretty dumb!
>
> Quite the opposite.
>
>> Maybe half an hour to an hour would be more like it.
>> Let's not be silly here!
>
> heh
>
>> Basically what I plan to do right now is forget this whole abs
>> thing and get right into that bottle of Chagrine.
>
> Ack, you lush!
>
>> Because next thing you know they'll be say it takes a
>> whole week to get 'those abs I've always wanted' - **** that!
>
> Well, you know the old saying... "Anything worth having is working hard
> fo... OH, FORGET IT! GIVE ME INSTANT GRATIFICATION OR GIVE ME SOMETHING
> *QUICKER!!!!*"

that's pretty good. I like it. I may borrow it

> (Something like that, right?)
>
>> ugh it's Monday ;o) (did 'he' ever patent that little signature sign?)
>
> I don't know. I'm more concerned with the extra hits that I suspect
> Williams' pop fitness website is getting simply based on MY stunning
> visage being advertised therein. ;o)
>
> --
> Curt

David
September 12th 06, 05:37 PM
"Shute" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:24:16 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:
>
>>OK, on the basis of your post, I will drop my pursuit of the 6 pack in 5
>>minutes. Of course I realize that 5 mins is not realistic - boy you must
>>think I'm pretty dumb! Maybe half an hour to an hour would be more like
>>it.
>>Let's not be silly here!
>>Basically what I plan to do right now is forget this whole abs thing and
>>get
>>right into that bottle of Chagrine. Because next thing you know they'll be
>>say it takes a whole week to get 'those abs I've always wanted' - ****
>>that!
>>ugh it's Monday ;o) (did 'he' ever patent that little signature sign?)
>
> If you want abs you got to get rid of fat first. I have Rock Hard
> abs. They are buried under this blubber I call a belly. If I suck
> my gut in real tight I can even see them behind the fat.

I have no problem whatever with my abs - I did have amazing abs at one
stage - but was not worth it as my male friends were just jealous and the
girls thought I was far to good looking and that they could not trust me to
be faithful. so it didn't suit me. Being a bit of a slob seems to work much
better for me

Mike
September 12th 06, 09:10 PM
"David" > wrote in message
u...

> "Shute" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:24:16 +1000, "David" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>OK, on the basis of your post, I will drop my pursuit of the 6 pack in 5
>>>minutes. Of course I realize that 5 mins is not realistic - boy you must
>>>think I'm pretty dumb! Maybe half an hour to an hour would be more like
>>>it.
>>>Let's not be silly here!
>>>Basically what I plan to do right now is forget this whole abs thing and
>>>get
>>>right into that bottle of Chagrine. Because next thing you know they'll
>>>be
>>>say it takes a whole week to get 'those abs I've always wanted' - ****
>>>that!
>>>ugh it's Monday ;o) (did 'he' ever patent that little signature sign?)
>>
>> If you want abs you got to get rid of fat first. I have Rock Hard
>> abs. They are buried under this blubber I call a belly. If I suck
>> my gut in real tight I can even see them behind the fat.
>>
> I have no problem whatever with my abs - I did have amazing abs at one
> stage - but was not worth it as my male friends were just jealous and the
> girls thought I was far to good looking and that they could not trust me
> to be faithful. so it didn't suit me. Being a bit of a slob seems to work
> much better for me

Hey David, life is a bitch hey. Good looking, amazing 6pack abs - who wants
or needs that..........ME!!~!!

David
September 12th 06, 09:26 PM
"Mike" > wrote in message

> "David" > wrote in message
> u...
>>
>> "Shute" > wrote in message

>>> If you want abs you got to get rid of fat first. I have Rock Hard
>>> abs. They are buried under this blubber I call a belly. If I suck
>>> my gut in real tight I can even see them behind the fat.
>>>
>> I have no problem whatever with my abs - I did have amazing abs at one
>> stage - but was not worth it as my male friends were just jealous and the
>> girls thought I was far to good looking and that they could not trust me
>> to be faithful. so it didn't suit me. Being a bit of a slob seems to work
>> much better for me
>>

> Hey David, life is a bitch hey. Good looking, amazing 6pack abs - who
> wants or needs that..........ME!!~!!

Yes . . . (he said wistfully . . .) Abs are the thing - because no matter
how great the rest of your body if you have fat around your abs it makes you
look like a slob

Curt James
September 12th 06, 10:03 PM
David wrote:
[...]

re "Anything worth having is working hard fo... OH, FORGET IT! GIVE ME
INSTANT GRATIFICATION OR GIVE ME SOMETHING *QUICKER!!!!*"

> that's pretty good. I like it. I may borrow it

Be my guest. ;o)

--
Curt