PDA

View Full Version : That Old Piece of Cloth

JMW
September 11th 06, 06:24 AM
Not exactly what one might expect from NPR: an essay by Frank Miller,
author of "The Punisher," "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," and "Sin
City."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5784518

Will Brink
September 11th 06, 02:06 PM
In article >, JMW
> wrote:

> Not exactly what one might expect from NPR:

What does one epxect from NPR? The view NPR is some left wing liberal
media outlet is horse crap. Hell, they dedicated an hour to Pat Buchanan
the other day. They have Lott on often to defened gun rights, etc, etc,.

> an essay by Frank Miller,
> author of "The Punisher," "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," and "Sin
> City."
>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5784518

I heard it when they had it on and enjoyed it.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 11th 06, 03:31 PM
In article >,
(Will Brink) wrote:

> In article >, JMW
> > wrote:
>
> > Not exactly what one might expect from NPR:
>
> What does one epxect from NPR? The view NPR is some left wing liberal
> media outlet is horse crap. Hell, they dedicated an hour to Pat Buchanan
> the other day. They have Lott on often to defened gun rights, etc, etc,.

Totally agree. :-)
I got to listen to the program with Buchanan purely by chance.
I listen to NPR all the time, and WOAI. WOAI is pretty cool too about
things like this.

> > an essay by Frank Miller,
> > author of "The Punisher," "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," and "Sin
> > City."
> >
> > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5784518
>
> I heard it when they had it on and enjoyed it.

Good story. I'd not seen it before, thanks for posting it!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

David Cohen
September 11th 06, 04:14 PM
"Will Brink" > wrote
> JMW > wrote:
>
>> Not exactly what one might expect from NPR:
>
> What does one epxect from NPR? The view NPR is some left wing liberal
> media outlet is horse crap. Hell, they dedicated an hour to Pat Buchanan
> the other day. They have Lott on often to defened gun rights, etc, etc,.

Very fair and balanced of you, Will.

I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox News as
NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.

David

Will Brink
September 11th 06, 05:19 PM
In article . net>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "Will Brink" > wrote
> > JMW > wrote:
> >
> >> Not exactly what one might expect from NPR:
> >
> > What does one epxect from NPR? The view NPR is some left wing liberal
> > media outlet is horse crap. Hell, they dedicated an hour to Pat Buchanan
> > the other day. They have Lott on often to defened gun rights, etc, etc,.
>
> Very fair and balanced of you, Will.

Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.

> I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox News as
> NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.

Fox is more fiction then news.

David Cohen
September 11th 06, 06:10 PM
"Will Brink" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>> > What does one epxect from NPR? The view NPR is some left wing liberal
>> > media outlet is horse crap. Hell, they dedicated an hour to Pat
>> > Buchanan
>> > the other day. They have Lott on often to defened gun rights, etc,
>> > etc,.
>>
>> Very fair and balanced of you, Will.
>
> Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.

If it wasn't for my lack of subtlety, and my modesty, I'd be perfect.

>> I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox News as
>> NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.
>
> Fox is more fiction then news.

But...but...they have Allen Combs, a card carrying liberal, as a regular.
Hell, they often dedicate hours to Clinton, and Gore, and Kennedy, and
Kerry, and folks like that.

I don't understand.

David

Steve Freides
September 11th 06, 07:35 PM
"Will Brink" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>> > What does one epxect from NPR? The view NPR is some left wing
>> > liberal
>> > media outlet is horse crap. Hell, they dedicated an hour to Pat
>> > Buchanan
>> > the other day. They have Lott on often to defened gun rights, etc,
>> > etc,.
>>
>> Very fair and balanced of you, Will.
>
> Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.
>

>> I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox
>> News as
>> NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.
>
> Fox is more fiction then news.

I think they're all less than desirable. "News" used to mean out of the
ordinary events. A 24-hour news channel is, by definition, not
something I think we need, and it's certainly not something I want.
They all, left, right, and center, seem to create at least as much news
as they report. I say we get rid of them all.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David Cohen
September 11th 06, 08:16 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> "Will Brink" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>> "Will Brink" > wrote

>>> Very fair and balanced of you, Will.
>>
>> Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.
>>
>>> I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox News
>>> as
>>> NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.
>>
>> Fox is more fiction then news.
>
> I think they're all less than desirable. "News" used to mean out of the
> ordinary events. A 24-hour news channel is, by definition, not something
> I think we need, and it's certainly not something I want. They all, left,
> right, and center, seem to create at least as much news as they report. I
> say we get rid of them all.

That certainly is one approach.

I prefer allowing the free market system to present numerous, diverse,
sources of information and opinion, and using my rational faculty and
intellect to choose what to watch, listen to, and believe.

David

Will Brink
September 11th 06, 08:57 PM
In article et>, "David
Cohen" > wrote:

> "Will Brink" > wrote
> > "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >> "Will Brink" > wrote

> >> Very fair and balanced of you, Will.
> >
> > Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.
>
> If it wasn't for my lack of subtlety, and my modesty, I'd be perfect.
>
> >> I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox News as
> >> NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.
> >
> > Fox is more fiction then news.
>
> But...but...they have Allen Combs, a card carrying liberal, as a regular.
> Hell, they often dedicate hours to Clinton, and Gore, and Kennedy, and
> Kerry, and folks like that.
>
> I don't understand.

You're making my head hurt. Me no understand.

Curt James
September 11th 06, 09:34 PM
John Williams wrote:

> Not exactly what one might expect from NPR:

How so? NPR offers fine reporting, intelligent commentary, and superb
entertainment. Frank Miller embodies all that and more.

> an essay by Frank Miller, author of "The Punisher,"
> "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," and "Sin City."

I had the pleasure of hearing Miller address a group of retailers as
the keynote speaker for Steve Geppi's Diamond Retailers Summit many
years ago.

> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5784518

Wonderful! Thanks for posting the link.

--
Curt

Steve Freides
September 11th 06, 09:43 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Steve Freides" > wrote

>>> Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.

>>> Fox is more fiction then news.
>>
>> I think they're all less than desirable. "News" used to mean out of
>> the ordinary events. A 24-hour news channel is, by definition, not
>> something I think we need, and it's certainly not something I want.
>> They all, left, right, and center, seem to create at least as much
>> news as they report. I say we get rid of them all.
>
> That certainly is one approach.
>
> I prefer allowing the free market system to present numerous, diverse,
> sources of information and opinion, and using my rational faculty and
> intellect to choose what to watch, listen to, and believe.

Well, yes, of course. But I also wish to do away with much of popular
television, including all "reality" shows. (If I owned a gun, my TV
might just be the first thing at which I'd fire it.)

Stating the obvious, the problem isn't that such shows exist. The
problem how the f$%^ we got to the point where people want to watch this
crap.

Oh, wait, I took your response seriously - was that OK here?

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David Cohen
September 11th 06, 10:36 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>>> "Will Brink" > wrote

>>> I think they're all less than desirable. "News" used to mean out of the
>>> ordinary events. A 24-hour news channel is, by definition, not
>>> something I think we need, and it's certainly not something I want. They
>>> all, left, right, and center, seem to create at least as much news as
>>> they report. I say we get rid of them all.
>>
>> That certainly is one approach.
>>
>> I prefer allowing the free market system to present numerous, diverse,
>> sources of information and opinion, and using my rational faculty and
>> intellect to choose what to watch, listen to, and believe.
>
> Well, yes, of course. But I also wish to do away with much of popular
> television, including all "reality" shows. (If I owned a gun, my TV might
> just be the first thing at which I'd fire it.)

Yes, Elvis. If they made a remote control in the shape of a kettlebell,
would that help?

> Stating the obvious, the problem isn't that such shows exist. The problem
> how the f$%^ we got to the point where people want to watch this crap.

True. But you want to "shoot the messenger".

> Oh, wait, I took your response seriously - was that OK here?

Yes. I was serious.

You have, indeed, identified a problem: people think I'm joking when I'm
serious, and think I'm serious when I'm joking.

On second thought, it's not a problem. It's a positive personality
characteristic.

David

ATP*
September 12th 06, 12:31 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Will Brink" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>> "Will Brink" > wrote

>>> Very fair and balanced of you, Will.
>>
>> Your sarcasm is noted Mr Cohen.
>
> If it wasn't for my lack of subtlety, and my modesty, I'd be perfect.
>
>>> I expect we'll be receiving your support for the bill to name Fox News
>>> as
>>> NPR II, and send some of your tax money their way.
>>
>> Fox is more fiction then news.
>
> But...but...they have Allen Combs, a card carrying liberal, as a regular.
> Hell, they often dedicate hours to Clinton, and Gore, and Kennedy, and
> Kerry, and folks like that.
>
> I don't understand.
>
> David
Colmes is simply the geeky foil to Hannity. It's a choreographed freak show.

Steve Freides
September 12th 06, 12:38 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>> "Steve Freides" > wrote

>>> That certainly is one approach.
>>>
>>> I prefer allowing the free market system to present numerous,
>>> diverse, sources of information and opinion, and using my rational
>>> faculty and intellect to choose what to watch, listen to, and
>>> believe.
>>
>> Well, yes, of course. But I also wish to do away with much of
>> popular television, including all "reality" shows. (If I owned a
>> gun, my TV might just be the first thing at which I'd fire it.)
>
> Yes, Elvis. If they made a remote control in the shape of a
> kettlebell, would that help?

No.

>> Stating the obvious, the problem isn't that such shows exist. The
>> problem how the f$%^ we got to the point where people want to watch
>> this crap.
>
> True. But you want to "shoot the messenger".

Yes, agreed.

>> Oh, wait, I took your response seriously - was that OK here?
>
> Yes. I was serious.
>
> You have, indeed, identified a problem: people think I'm joking when
> I'm serious, and think I'm serious when I'm joking.
>
> On second thought, it's not a problem. It's a positive personality
> characteristic.
>
> David

OK, then, I'm being both serious and joking.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

JMW
September 12th 06, 01:16 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote:

>> I think they're all less than desirable. "News" used to mean out of the
>> ordinary events. A 24-hour news channel is, by definition, not something
>> I think we need, and it's certainly not something I want. They all, left,
>> right, and center, seem to create at least as much news as they report. I
>> say we get rid of them all.
>
>That certainly is one approach.
>
>I prefer allowing the free market system to present numerous, diverse,
>sources of information and opinion, and using my rational faculty and
>intellect to choose what to watch, listen to, and believe.

Exactly. I listen to NPR and watch Fox News. I also read web news
from BBC News and the Sydney Morning Herald for a non-American view.
However, I do tend to avoid the more extreme views, like FrontPageMag
on the far right and the far-left crap that Henry quotes.

Lee Michaels
September 12th 06, 01:32 AM
"David Cohen" wrote

> You have, indeed, identified a problem: people think I'm joking when I'm
> serious, and think I'm serious when I'm joking.
>
> On second thought, it's not a problem. It's a positive personality
> characteristic.

In woodworking and other crafts, that sentiment is expressed in this
fashion.

It is NOT a mistake. It is a design feature.

Steve Freides
September 12th 06, 03:07 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message

> "David Cohen" wrote
>>
>> You have, indeed, identified a problem: people think I'm joking when
>> I'm serious, and think I'm serious when I'm joking.
>>
>> On second thought, it's not a problem. It's a positive personality
>> characteristic.
>>
> In woodworking and other crafts, that sentiment is expressed in this
> fashion.
>
> It is NOT a mistake. It is a design feature.

Same thing in computer software - "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Neil Gendzwill
September 12th 06, 04:43 PM
Steve Freides wrote:
> Same thing in computer software - "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

A feature is a bug with seniority.

Neil

Curt James
September 13th 06, 04:18 AM
Joe Humble wrote:
[...]

re http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5784518

> He can believe in the flag or torch it. It ain't gonna make a ****bit
> of difference to the plans of the Intelligent Designer or how this
> world is set up. So much of what we worry and fret about is utterly
> pointless. "Oh my, should I love my flag or not?" OK, so now he
> does, and BFD. People still will fight over access to waterways,
> food, women, land, etc etc etc.
>
> Besides, in the case of 911 inspired patriotism what does it really
> mean? Who is the enemy? When does the war end? Show me
> a war on wasting energy and I'll cheer our side on. blah blah blah,
> the world could be a paradise but that would not suit its creator.
> This is empirically clear.

Can I agree with you 100 percent while chiding you on your negativity?

Oh, dear. Guess that makes me a frigging hypocrite.

MOVE OVER, WILLIAMS!!!!!

--
Curt