PDA

View Full Version : Ephedrine


September 12th 06, 01:42 AM
Is it true this stuff is being banned again? If so, does anyone know
when this ban takes effect? Man, that really sucks. I posted here last
year:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/browse_thread/thread/b4e877c402742e01/41900349eecc29b8?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#41900349eecc29b8
Since then I lost 50lbs. going from 210lbs. back to 160lbs. which is
what I weighed before they banned Ephedra/Ephedrine the first time.
Bare in mine I'm only 5' 8" and have always been overweight until I
discovered ephedra products back in 1996. I began taking it and the
weight melted off. But everytime I've been forced to stop taking it,
the weight came back and then some (it's fat, not muscle!). I've never
had a single health problem with this stuff. Naturally, if you've got
tens of thousands of people using any product, there's bound to be a
small percentage (relatively speaking) that has addverse reactions.
That hasn't kept Saccarine or Aspertame off the market! And I had
severe reactions to that Aspertame **** (I used to eat alot of
yogurt...not anymore). I'm so sick of big brother telling me what I can
and can't put into my body, I'm a grown adult for christ sakes. So by
Christmas I should be back to 210lbs. I guess. Unless anybody knows
where I can buy the Epherda tea(???)......that ISN'T illegal, go
figure!
Bryan Lord

September 12th 06, 04:07 AM
How about that, I guess I'd make a terrible lawyer. The secret is in
the wording. As of August 26 2006, the FDA has banned the use of any
Ephedrine alkaloids in the use of DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS. I've been using
Ephedine HCL in the form of "bronchodilator & expectorant" which has
NOT been banned. It's all in the wording. Wait a minute, did I say I
was taking it to lose weight?....what I meant to say was "gee, this
stuff is working great for my asthma". Yep, no more breathing troubles
for me.
Bryan

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 12th 06, 02:45 PM
In article om>,
wrote:

> How about that, I guess I'd make a terrible lawyer. The secret is in
> the wording. As of August 26 2006, the FDA has banned the use of any
> Ephedrine alkaloids in the use of DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS. I've been using
> Ephedine HCL in the form of "bronchodilator & expectorant" which has
> NOT been banned. It's all in the wording. Wait a minute, did I say I
> was taking it to lose weight?....what I meant to say was "gee, this
> stuff is working great for my asthma". Yep, no more breathing troubles
> for me.
> Bryan

<lol> Mini-thins from the Truck Stops... ;-)
Shh! That was supposed to be kept secret!

Anyone with any common sense already knew about those.
Even during the last ban, those were _always_ available.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
-- Jack Nicholson

jimmy
September 13th 06, 03:09 AM
The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of death
in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something.

"Ephedrine HCl" is not the same thing as "ephedra." So ephedrine HCl
was not banned.

So they banned whole-ephedra product, not manufactured ephedrine.

September 13th 06, 05:29 PM
I only know what i'm about to say because ive been trying to get pure
Ephedrine with some success:

(this is in terms of the USA)
The DEA regulates it but there is no ban.
You can buy pure Ephedrine (Ephedrine HCL) in limited quantity and an
ID.
I get 272 - 25 mg tabs a month for around 50 bucks from D&E Nutrtion
who claim they are the only licensed seller of pure Ephedrine HCL
(known as BOLT). 272 is the max per month.

You can still get Ephedrine having the 200+ mg of Guaf. (expectorant)
rather easily although suppliers will say they cannot sell you over a
certain amount. They usually sell a brand called Vasopro and price is
competetive, as low as 10 bucks for a box of 24. I only take these when
the good stuff runs out.


jimmy wrote:
> The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of death
> in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something.
>
> "Ephedrine HCl" is not the same thing as "ephedra." So ephedrine HCl
> was not banned.
>
> So they banned whole-ephedra product, not manufactured ephedrine.

Richard
September 15th 06, 01:14 AM
jimmy wrote:
> The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of death
> in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something.

Cite please.

Thank you.

Richard

>
> "Ephedrine HCl" is not the same thing as "ephedra." So ephedrine HCl
> was not banned.
>
> So they banned whole-ephedra product, not manufactured ephedrine.
>
>

jimmy
September 15th 06, 03:39 AM
OK, good point. The govt did not ban it after a football player died,
but that helped push it towards prohibition. The National Football
League banned ephedra after:

"The U.S. National Football League banned players from using ephedra as
a dietary supplement in 2001 after the death of Minnesota Vikings
offensive tackle Korey Stringer. The substance is also banned by the
National Basketball Association."

"On December 30, 2003, the FDA announced a ban (effective 12 April
2004) on the uncontrolled sale of dietary supplements containing
Ephedra, citing "an unreasonable risk of illness or injury"[citation
needed] from the use of the drug.

The active ingredients ephedrine and pseudoephedrine remained available
as an ingredient in some over the counter (OTC) medications that are
clearly labeled in accordance with FDA regulations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra


Richard wrote:
> jimmy wrote:
> > The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of death
> > in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something.
>
> Cite please.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Richard
>
> >
> > "Ephedrine HCl" is not the same thing as "ephedra." So ephedrine HCl
> > was not banned.
> >
> > So they banned whole-ephedra product, not manufactured ephedrine.
> >
> >

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot
September 15th 06, 08:04 AM
"jimmy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> OK, good point. The govt did not ban it after a football player died,
> but that helped push it towards prohibition. The National Football
> League banned ephedra after:
>
> "The U.S. National Football League banned players from using ephedra as
> a dietary supplement in 2001 after the death of Minnesota Vikings
> offensive tackle Korey Stringer. The substance is also banned by the
> National Basketball Association."
>
> "On December 30, 2003, the FDA announced a ban (effective 12 April
> 2004) on the uncontrolled sale of dietary supplements containing
> Ephedra, citing "an unreasonable risk of illness or injury"[citation
> needed] from the use of the drug.
>
> The active ingredients ephedrine and pseudoephedrine remained available
> as an ingredient in some over the counter (OTC) medications that are
> clearly labeled in accordance with FDA regulations."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra
>
>
> Richard wrote:
> > jimmy wrote:
> > > The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of
death
> > > in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something.
> >
> > Cite please.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > >
> > > "Ephedrine HCl" is not the same thing as "ephedra." So ephedrine HCl
> > > was not banned.
> > >
> > > So they banned whole-ephedra product, not manufactured ephedrine.
> > >
> > >
>

Um, Korey Stringer died from heat stoke (and complications due to heat
stroke).

"an autopsy showed that Stringer did not have ephedra in his blood and his
death was ruled heat-related" from:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=950CE1D61E39F93BA3575AC0A9679C8B63

"A few days before Wheeler's death, offensive tackle Korey Stringer of the
Minnesota Vikings died of heat exhaustion, although there is no evidence he
was taking ephedrine or any other substance." from:
http://www.wndu.com/sports/092001/sports_9961.php

Get your facts right before you spew.

jimmy
September 15th 06, 08:20 AM
spew?

i was talking about the side story from the NFL that was always
mentioned around the same time they banned ephedra.

chill out a little, you could. says yoda.

did you know that there is a high correlation between dehydration and
heat stroke? did you know that ephedra has diuretic properties which
could lead to dehydration?

ANYWAY...

ephedra......banned
ephedrine HCl....still OTC

that was the point. PERIOD.

you're arguing about nothing worthwhile.



Spammers_Should_Be_Shot wrote:
> "jimmy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > OK, good point. The govt did not ban it after a football player died,
> > but that helped push it towards prohibition. The National Football
> > League banned ephedra after:
> >
> > "The U.S. National Football League banned players from using ephedra as
> > a dietary supplement in 2001 after the death of Minnesota Vikings
> > offensive tackle Korey Stringer. The substance is also banned by the
> > National Basketball Association."
> >
> > "On December 30, 2003, the FDA announced a ban (effective 12 April
> > 2004) on the uncontrolled sale of dietary supplements containing
> > Ephedra, citing "an unreasonable risk of illness or injury"[citation
> > needed] from the use of the drug.
> >
> > The active ingredients ephedrine and pseudoephedrine remained available
> > as an ingredient in some over the counter (OTC) medications that are
> > clearly labeled in accordance with FDA regulations."
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra
> >
> >
> > Richard wrote:
> > > jimmy wrote:
> > > > The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of
> death
> > > > in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something.
> > >
> > > Cite please.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Richard
> > >
> > > >
> > > > "Ephedrine HCl" is not the same thing as "ephedra." So ephedrine HCl
> > > > was not banned.
> > > >
> > > > So they banned whole-ephedra product, not manufactured ephedrine.
> > > >
> > > >
> >
>
> Um, Korey Stringer died from heat stoke (and complications due to heat
> stroke).
>
> "an autopsy showed that Stringer did not have ephedra in his blood and his
> death was ruled heat-related" from:
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=950CE1D61E39F93BA3575AC0A9679C8B63
>
> "A few days before Wheeler's death, offensive tackle Korey Stringer of the
> Minnesota Vikings died of heat exhaustion, although there is no evidence he
> was taking ephedrine or any other substance." from:
> http://www.wndu.com/sports/092001/sports_9961.php
>
> Get your facts right before you spew.

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot
September 15th 06, 03:53 PM
"jimmy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> spew?
>
> i was talking about the side story from the NFL that was always
> mentioned around the same time they banned ephedra.

What's this have to do with the price of rice in China?

> chill out a little, you could. says yoda.

You think I'm upset? lol

> did you know that there is a high correlation between dehydration and heat
stroke?

Yes

> did you know that ephedra has diuretic properties which could lead to
dehydration?

Yes. But did you know that "correlation" and "could" are different than
"cause" and "did"?

> ANYWAY...
>
> ephedra......banned
> ephedrine HCl....still OTC
>
> that was the point. PERIOD.

Let's get this straight, first you say:
"The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of death
in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something."

Which is incorrect and led to you saying:
"The govt did not ban it after a football player died"

After you removed the first foot, you proceeded to insert the second by
saying:
"The U.S. National Football League banned players from using ephedra as
a dietary supplement in 2001 after the death of Minnesota Vikings
offensive tackle Korey Stringer"

Which I kindly corrected you on.

> you're arguing about nothing worthwhile.

Who's arguing? I'm just pointing out the error of your posts. Obviously if
you don't want to be corrected than don't post incorrect statements.

jimmy
September 15th 06, 11:51 PM
sigh

whatever

find something for your boredom

it's tiring to read your nitpicking


Spammers_Should_Be_Shot wrote:
> "jimmy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > spew?
> >
> > i was talking about the side story from the NFL that was always
> > mentioned around the same time they banned ephedra.
>
> What's this have to do with the price of rice in China?
>
> > chill out a little, you could. says yoda.
>
> You think I'm upset? lol
>
> > did you know that there is a high correlation between dehydration and heat
> stroke?
>
> Yes
>
> > did you know that ephedra has diuretic properties which could lead to
> dehydration?
>
> Yes. But did you know that "correlation" and "could" are different than
> "cause" and "did"?
>
> > ANYWAY...
> >
> > ephedra......banned
> > ephedrine HCl....still OTC
> >
> > that was the point. PERIOD.
>
> Let's get this straight, first you say:
> "The government banned ephedra products because of famous cases of death
> in pro athletes. Some guy in the NFL dropped dead or something."
>
> Which is incorrect and led to you saying:
> "The govt did not ban it after a football player died"
>
> After you removed the first foot, you proceeded to insert the second by
> saying:
> "The U.S. National Football League banned players from using ephedra as
> a dietary supplement in 2001 after the death of Minnesota Vikings
> offensive tackle Korey Stringer"
>
> Which I kindly corrected you on.
>
> > you're arguing about nothing worthwhile.
>
> Who's arguing? I'm just pointing out the error of your posts. Obviously if
> you don't want to be corrected than don't post incorrect statements.

jimmy
September 15th 06, 11:58 PM
> Um, Korey Stringer died from heat stoke (and complications due to heat
> stroke).
>
> "an autopsy showed that Stringer did not have ephedra in his blood and his
> death was ruled heat-related" from:
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=950CE1D61E39F93BA3575AC0A9679C8B63
>

Let's see...of course he did not have ephedra in his blood. Ephedra is
a plant. That's like saying someone has coffee beans in his blood
instead of caffeine. Or beer in his blood, instead of alcohol.

So it is not ruled out that he could have had ephedrine in his blood.

Our article also says:
"Ephedra has been blamed for the deaths of some high school and college
athletes, and the Food and Drug Administration says reports of illness
from supplements including ephedra have nearly doubled in recent years,
reaching 407 in 1999."

So I didn't even need to mention some NFL guy's death. NEITHER DID THE
NEW YORK TIMES, yet they also mentioned Stringer in a story about
ephedra.

ANYWAY I answered the guy's ORIGINAL F'ing QUESTION while you sit in
the peanut gallery and set off tiny, red herring tirades.

jimmy
September 16th 06, 12:03 AM
>What's this have to do with the price of rice in China?

what is this? your idea of creative writing?

red herring non sequitur. = irrelevant distraction

When the NFL banned ephedra, all they talked about, all the news talked
about was Stringer, regardless of whether it killed him or not *on that
day* or on the day of the autopsy/toxicology test.

But he was probably a long-time user of ephedra every day previous for
the NFL to give it such mention.

So it could have been ephedra which led ulitimately to his death and
****ty heart condition, even if he was "clean" during gametime.

jimmy
September 16th 06, 12:09 AM
>You think I'm upset? lol

No, but the tone of your writing is obnoxious. You, like many on this
usenet group, like weasel words like "spew" and other emotionally
charged words.

If you're trying to make arguments and your logic is sufficient, you
don't need to use weasel words that make you seem uncertain and
defensive.

Just a tip

Good luck to you