PDA

View Full Version : Joints, accidents and pain

Beach Runner
September 13th 06, 08:42 PM
In January of 2004 I was in a horrendous car wreck. After about 8
years of having
worked out just about every day, I was not allowed to push weights, run
or anything
for ages.

Keeping up the same diet, a pound or two monthm and I gradually became
afraid of
looking at myself in the mirror.

After collection of elbow, wrist and other surgeries, I finally said,
"What the ****" and decided
to start pushing some weights and running. Also, since I was leaving
my job, I also figured I should get every elective surgery or procedure
I might need. Head to toe they cut, even some places in the middle.
And everything worked out surprisingly well.

Figuring I'd stay with high reps, low weights for a while.

The first few times I tried to do gravity assisted dips (I used to do
15-20 naturally) my wrist
just screamed.

I saw another pain/spine doctor and she said the research for people
with bad arthritis and
joint problems was to keep pushing weights. The activities would force
fluid into the joints,
and strengthen the connective tissues.

Well, my wrist is feeling much better. I'm back to at least a few
weeks of really consistent
training. While there's not too many visible changes, and teh weight
isn't coming off, people are noticing a difference, I feel stronger,
more energy and power. It feels sooo good.
It is embarassing to going back to machines that I used to push the
stack to little old lady
weights, but damn, it won't stop me.

My elbow may be killing me, but it has no choice. It had enough rest.
It will simply go along for the ride, and if I push it with high reps,
it will have to develop the connective tissues and muscles to support
it again.

Sure feels good.

Reg Guthrie Tipton Tourist Board
September 13th 06, 08:49 PM
Beach Runner wrote:
> In January of 2004 I was in a horrendous car wreck. After about 8
> years of having
> worked out just about every day, I was not allowed to push weights, run
> or anything
> for ages.
>
> Keeping up the same diet, a pound or two monthm and I gradually became
> afraid of
> looking at myself in the mirror.
>
> After collection of elbow, wrist and other surgeries, I finally said,
> "What the ****" and decided
> to start pushing some weights and running. Also, since I was leaving
> my job, I also figured I should get every elective surgery or procedure
> I might need. Head to toe they cut, even some places in the middle.
> And everything worked out surprisingly well.
>
> Figuring I'd stay with high reps, low weights for a while.
>
> The first few times I tried to do gravity assisted dips (I used to do
> 15-20 naturally) my wrist
> just screamed.
>
> I saw another pain/spine doctor and she said the research for people
> with bad arthritis and
> joint problems was to keep pushing weights. The activities would force
> fluid into the joints,
> and strengthen the connective tissues.
>
> Well, my wrist is feeling much better. I'm back to at least a few
> weeks of really consistent
> training. While there's not too many visible changes, and teh weight
> isn't coming off, people are noticing a difference, I feel stronger,
> more energy and power. It feels sooo good.
> It is embarassing to going back to machines that I used to push the
> stack to little old lady
> weights, but damn, it won't stop me.
>
> My elbow may be killing me, but it has no choice. It had enough rest.
> It will simply go along for the ride, and if I push it with high reps,
> it will have to develop the connective tissues and muscles to support
> it again.
>
> Sure feels good.

You are an example to us all

Larry Hodges
September 13th 06, 09:19 PM
"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> In January of 2004 I was in a horrendous car wreck. After about 8
> years of having
> worked out just about every day, I was not allowed to push weights, run
> or anything
> for ages.
>
> Keeping up the same diet, a pound or two monthm and I gradually became
> afraid of
> looking at myself in the mirror.
>
> After collection of elbow, wrist and other surgeries, I finally said,
> "What the ****" and decided
> to start pushing some weights and running. Also, since I was leaving
> my job, I also figured I should get every elective surgery or procedure
> I might need. Head to toe they cut, even some places in the middle.
> And everything worked out surprisingly well.
>
> Figuring I'd stay with high reps, low weights for a while.
>
> The first few times I tried to do gravity assisted dips (I used to do
> 15-20 naturally) my wrist
> just screamed.
>
> I saw another pain/spine doctor and she said the research for people
> with bad arthritis and
> joint problems was to keep pushing weights. The activities would force
> fluid into the joints,
> and strengthen the connective tissues.
>
> Well, my wrist is feeling much better. I'm back to at least a few
> weeks of really consistent
> training. While there's not too many visible changes, and teh weight
> isn't coming off, people are noticing a difference, I feel stronger,
> more energy and power. It feels sooo good.
> It is embarassing to going back to machines that I used to push the
> stack to little old lady
> weights, but damn, it won't stop me.
>
> My elbow may be killing me, but it has no choice. It had enough rest.
> It will simply go along for the ride, and if I push it with high reps,
> it will have to develop the connective tissues and muscles to support
> it again.
>
> Sure feels good.

Nice job. Keep it up.

September 13th 06, 11:44 PM
I am a personal trainer, in the NYC metro are, so just wanted to
through my link in case someone wants to get a more personal approach
to loosing weight, and getting fit:
http://nycpersonaltrainer.com/

Larry Hodges
September 14th 06, 12:51 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am a personal trainer, in the NYC metro are, so just wanted to
> through my link in case someone wants to get a more personal approach
> to loosing weight, and getting fit:
> http://nycpersonaltrainer.com/

You have to be a regular to spam here. **** off.

Curt James
September 14th 06, 01:58 AM
Larry Hodges wrote:
> > wrote

> >I am a personal trainer, in the NYC metro are, so
> >just wanted to through my link in case someone
> >wants to get a more personal approach to loosing
> > weight, and getting fit: http://nycpersonaltrainer.com/
>
> You have to be a regular to spam here.

Actually, they DON'T have to be a regular to spam here, Lar. They do,
apparently, have to be a regular to spam here... without someone
crrrryyyying about it, however. ;o)

> **** off.

And maybe you didn't see the posts re the perceived idiocy of
criticizing someone for spamming the ng while simultaneously REposting
the aforementioned spam/URL.

Odd.

--
Curt

Steve Freides
September 14th 06, 02:02 AM
"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> In January of 2004 I was in a horrendous car wreck. After about 8
> years of having
> worked out just about every day, I was not allowed to push weights,
> run
> or anything
> for ages.
>
> Keeping up the same diet, a pound or two monthm and I gradually became
> afraid of
> looking at myself in the mirror.
>
> After collection of elbow, wrist and other surgeries, I finally said,
> "What the ****" and decided
> to start pushing some weights and running. Also, since I was
> leaving
> my job, I also figured I should get every elective surgery or
> procedure
> I might need. Head to toe they cut, even some places in the middle.
> And everything worked out surprisingly well.
>
> Figuring I'd stay with high reps, low weights for a while.
>
> The first few times I tried to do gravity assisted dips (I used to do
> 15-20 naturally) my wrist
> just screamed.
>
> I saw another pain/spine doctor and she said the research for people
> with bad arthritis and
> joint problems was to keep pushing weights. The activities would
> force
> fluid into the joints,
> and strengthen the connective tissues.
>
> Well, my wrist is feeling much better. I'm back to at least a few
> weeks of really consistent
> training. While there's not too many visible changes, and teh weight
> isn't coming off, people are noticing a difference, I feel stronger,
> more energy and power. It feels sooo good.
> It is embarassing to going back to machines that I used to push the
> stack to little old lady
> weights, but damn, it won't stop me.
>
> My elbow may be killing me, but it has no choice. It had enough rest.
> It will simply go along for the ride, and if I push it with high reps,
> it will have to develop the connective tissues and muscles to support
> it again.
>
> Sure feels good.

Good for you - keep it up. You might want to investigate joint health
as a separate subject. Certainly what you're doing seems to be working
out pretty well for you, but most joint health work involves high reps,
full range of motion, and little or no weight. Doing some of that may
help the joints and that, in turn, make help make the lifting less
painful.

Google is your friend here. Try searching on "pain-free movement" and
similar phrases. You'll find lots to read on trigger points including
self-massage techniques, also links to Pavel's book Super Joints which
has been a big help to me. "Joint health," "joint range of motion" and
similar yield lots of good pointers, too.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Curt James
September 14th 06, 02:08 AM
wrote:
> I am a personal trainer, in the NYC metro are, so just wanted to
> through my link in case someone wants to get a more personal approach
> to loosing weight, and getting fit:
> http://nycpersonaltrainer.com/

Uh, "loosing" should be spelled l-o-s-i-n-g in reference to reducing
weight, DP. In your post above as well as on future blog entries. Or
not. It's a free country.

http://www.myspace.com/nycpersonaltrianer

But did you spell your MySpace name that way on purpose? I'm a spelling
geek and suffered from an imaginary seizure while peeking at your
MySpace page... fintess and moveis?

Hey, my anal retentiveness aside, welcome to misc.fitness.weights.
Enjoy your stay.

--
Curt

Bully
September 14th 06, 07:39 AM

Kettlebells. There, I said it for you!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Steve Freides
September 14th 06, 04:38 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>> Sure feels good.
>>
>> Good for you - keep it up. You might want to investigate joint
>> health
>> as a separate subject. Certainly what you're doing seems to be
>> working out pretty well for you, but most joint health work involves
>> high reps, full range of motion, and little or no weight. Doing some
>> of that may help the joints and that, in turn, make help make the
>> lifting less painful.
>>
>> Google is your friend here. Try searching on "pain-free movement"
>> and
>> similar phrases. You'll find lots to read on trigger points
>> including
>> self-massage techniques, also links to Pavel's book Super Joints
>> which
>> has been a big help to me. "Joint health," "joint range of motion"
>> and similar yield lots of good pointers, too.

Aw, gee, you shouldn't have (blushing...)

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
> Bully
> Protein bars: http://www.proteinbars.co.uk
>
> "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
> matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jason Earl
September 14th 06, 07:45 PM
"Bully" > writes:

> Steve Freides wrote:
>> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

-snip inspiring story-

>> Good for you - keep it up. You might want to investigate joint
>> health as a separate subject. Certainly what you're doing seems to
>> be working out pretty well for you, but most joint health work
>> involves high reps, full range of motion, and little or no weight.
>> Doing some of that may help the joints and that, in turn, make help
>> make the lifting less painful.
>>
>> Google is your friend here. Try searching on "pain-free movement"
>> and similar phrases. You'll find lots to read on trigger points
>> including self-massage techniques, also links to Pavel's book Super
>> Joints which has been a big help to me. "Joint health," "joint
>> range of motion" and similar yield lots of good pointers, too.
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>
> Kettlebells. There, I said it for you!

Actually he was probably referring to Pavel's "Super Joints," or
possibly "Relax Into Stretch." I've borrowed both, and RIS is
actually pretty good. It's on my list to purchase. If I had joint
problems I would probably be interesting in SJ as well, but I don't.

Jason

September 14th 06, 07:59 PM
Pavel is the man when it comes training with a purpose.
Jason Earl wrote:
> "Bully" > writes:
>
> > Steve Freides wrote:
> >> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
>
> -snip inspiring story-
>
> >> Good for you - keep it up. You might want to investigate joint
> >> health as a separate subject. Certainly what you're doing seems to
> >> be working out pretty well for you, but most joint health work
> >> involves high reps, full range of motion, and little or no weight.
> >> Doing some of that may help the joints and that, in turn, make help
> >> make the lifting less painful.
> >>
> >> Google is your friend here. Try searching on "pain-free movement"
> >> and similar phrases. You'll find lots to read on trigger points
> >> including self-massage techniques, also links to Pavel's book Super
> >> Joints which has been a big help to me. "Joint health," "joint
> >> range of motion" and similar yield lots of good pointers, too.
> >>
> >> -S-
> >> http://www.kbnj.com
> >
> > Kettlebells. There, I said it for you!
>
> Actually he was probably referring to Pavel's "Super Joints," or
> possibly "Relax Into Stretch." I've borrowed both, and RIS is
> actually pretty good. It's on my list to purchase. If I had joint
> problems I would probably be interesting in SJ as well, but I don't.
>
> Jason

September 14th 06, 08:00 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> "Bully" > writes:
>
> > Steve Freides wrote:
> >> "Beach Runner" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
>
> -snip inspiring story-
>
> >> Good for you - keep it up. You might want to investigate joint
> >> health as a separate subject. Certainly what you're doing seems to
> >> be working out pretty well for you, but most joint health work
> >> involves high reps, full range of motion, and little or no weight.
> >> Doing some of that may help the joints and that, in turn, make help
> >> make the lifting less painful.
> >>
> >> Google is your friend here. Try searching on "pain-free movement"
> >> and similar phrases. You'll find lots to read on trigger points
> >> including self-massage techniques, also links to Pavel's book Super
> >> Joints which has been a big help to me. "Joint health," "joint
> >> range of motion" and similar yield lots of good pointers, too.
> >>
> >> -S-
> >> http://www.kbnj.com
> >
> > Kettlebells. There, I said it for you!
>
> Actually he was probably referring to Pavel's "Super Joints," or
> possibly "Relax Into Stretch." I've borrowed both, and RIS is
> actually pretty good. It's on my list to purchase. If I had joint
> problems I would probably be interesting in SJ as well, but I don't.
>
> Jason

Beach Runner
September 14th 06, 10:53 PM
Bully wrote:
> [...]
> >> reps, it will have to develop the connective tissues and muscles to
> >> support it again.
> >>
> >> Sure feels good.
> >
> > Good for you - keep it up. You might want to investigate joint health
> > as a separate subject. Certainly what you're doing seems to be
> > working out pretty well for you, but most joint health work involves
> > high reps, full range of motion, and little or no weight. Doing some
> > of that may help the joints and that, in turn, make help make the
> > lifting less painful.
> >
> > Google is your friend here. Try searching on "pain-free movement" and
> > similar phrases. You'll find lots to read on trigger points including
> > self-massage techniques, also links to Pavel's book Super Joints which
> > has been a big help to me. "Joint health," "joint range of motion"
> > and similar yield lots of good pointers, too.

You folks will obviously hate me for this, (and other things), but in
one paragraph of
less, what are Kettlebells and why should anyone use them?

Beach Runner
September 14th 06, 10:57 PM
wrote:
> I am a personal trainer, in the NYC metro are, so just wanted to
> through my link in case someone wants to get a more personal approach
> to loosing weight, and getting fit:
> http://nycpersonaltrainer.com/

I have this strange idea that you just might want me to consume less
calories
than I burn. Does it simplify to something like that?

Basically, I've learned that if I consistently push iron and do
aerobics,
while keeping my eating consistent (so I don't go into starvation
mode),
my body will natuarlly consume more calories. It's not that
complicated.

Jason Earl
September 15th 06, 12:01 AM
"Beach Runner" > writes:

> You folks will obviously hate me for this, (and other things), but
> in one paragraph of less, what are Kettlebells and why should anyone
> use them?

A kettlebell is basically a cannon-ball with a handle. The size and
shape makes it especially useful for swinging and one arm snatching.

You can find pictures (and more information) at the following
websites:

http://www.kbnj.com/
http://www.kettlebellinc.com/

If you do even the tiniest bit of online research about kettlebells
you'll run into Pavel Tsatsouline. He's the Russian ex-patriot that
is responsible for the rebirth of interest in the gizmos.

http://www.powerbypavel.com/

I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
training workout.

Kbells get a bit of a bad rap here on MFW because they are far more
expensive than dumbbells or barbells and Pavel is a bit of a carnival
barker. I'm still glad I got a kbell though, and I will probably buy
a few more. I wouldn't even consider replacing my Olympic weight set
with kbells though.

Squish that all into one paragraph if it makes you feel better.

Jason

Pete
September 15th 06, 11:35 AM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

>> You folks will obviously hate me for this...

Not at all.

>> (and other things), but

We will find a few things...

>> in one paragraph of less, what are Kettlebells and why should anyone
>> use them?

You shouldnt.
Use dumbells instead.

> A kettlebell is basically a cannon-ball with a handle. The size and
> shape makes it especially useful for swinging and one arm snatching.

Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...

> You can find pictures (and more information) at the following
> websites:

> http://www.kbnj.com/
> http://www.kettlebellinc.com/

Thanks!

No ****!

> He's the Russian ex-patriot that
> is responsible for the rebirth of interest in the gizmos.

Traitors cannot be trusted.

> http://www.powerbypavel.com/

> I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
> endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
> incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
> training workout.

A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.

> Kbells get a bit of a bad rap here on MFW because they are far more
> expensive than dumbbells or barbells and Pavel is a bit of a carnival
> barker. I'm still glad I got a kbell though, and I will probably buy
> a few more. I wouldn't even consider replacing my Olympic weight set
> with kbells though.

God, no!

----
Pete

ATP*
September 15th 06, 11:46 AM
"Pete" > wrote in message
> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
>>> You folks will obviously hate me for this...
>
> Not at all.
>
>>> (and other things), but
>
> We will find a few things...
>
>>> in one paragraph of less, what are Kettlebells and why should anyone
>>> use them?
>
> You shouldnt.
> Use dumbells instead.
>
>> A kettlebell is basically a cannon-ball with a handle. The size and
>> shape makes it especially useful for swinging and one arm snatching.
>
> Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...
>
>> You can find pictures (and more information) at the following
>> websites:
>
>> http://www.kbnj.com/
>> http://www.kettlebellinc.com/
>
> Thanks!
>
>> If you do even the tiniest bit of online research about kettlebells
>> you'll run into Pavel Tsatsouline.
>
> No ****!
>
>> He's the Russian ex-patriot that
>> is responsible for the rebirth of interest in the gizmos.
>
> Traitors cannot be trusted.
>
>> http://www.powerbypavel.com/
>
>> I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
>> endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
>> incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
>> training workout.
>
> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.

Kettlebells are better for two handed swings.

David
September 15th 06, 12:07 PM
"Pete" > wrote in message
> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
>>> You folks will obviously hate me for this...
>
> Not at all.
>
>>> (and other things), but
>
> We will find a few things...
>
>>> in one paragraph of less, what are Kettlebells and why should anyone
>>> use them?
>
> You shouldnt.
> Use dumbells instead.
>
>> A kettlebell is basically a cannon-ball with a handle. The size and
>> shape makes it especially useful for swinging and one arm snatching.
>
> Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...
>
>> You can find pictures (and more information) at the following
>> websites:
>
>> http://www.kbnj.com/
>> http://www.kettlebellinc.com/
>
> Thanks!
>
>> If you do even the tiniest bit of online research about kettlebells
>> you'll run into Pavel Tsatsouline.
>
> No ****!
>
>> He's the Russian ex-patriot that
>> is responsible for the rebirth of interest in the gizmos.
>
> Traitors cannot be trusted.
>
>> http://www.powerbypavel.com/
>
>> I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
>> endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
>> incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
>> training workout.
>
> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.

I now give you adjustable cattlebells
http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4

>> Kbells get a bit of a bad rap here on MFW because they are far more
>> expensive than dumbbells or barbells and Pavel is a bit of a carnival
>> barker. I'm still glad I got a kbell though, and I will probably buy
>> a few more. I wouldn't even consider replacing my Olympic weight set
>> with kbells though.
>
> God, no!
>
> ----
> Pete

Pete
September 15th 06, 01:24 PM
"ATP*" > schreef:

>> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.

> Kettlebells are better for two handed swings.

But i dont want to do 2 handed swings!

----
Pete

Pete
September 15th 06, 01:32 PM
"David" > schreef:

>> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.

> I now give you adjustable cattlebells
> http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4

Amazing! AMAZING !!!

Now, why would ANYone buy CatteleBells that CANNOT be adjusred ?!?!?!

Hmmm?

----
Pete

Steve Freides
September 15th 06, 02:31 PM
"ATP*" > wrote in message

>> Not at all.

>> We will find a few things...

>> You shouldnt.
>> Use dumbells instead.
>>
>>> A kettlebell is basically a cannon-ball with a handle. The size and
>>> shape makes it especially useful for swinging and one arm snatching.
>>
>> Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...
>>
>>> You can find pictures (and more information) at the following
>>> websites:
>>
>>> http://www.kbnj.com/
>>> http://www.kettlebellinc.com/
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> If you do even the tiniest bit of online research about kettlebells
>>> you'll run into Pavel Tsatsouline.
>>
>> No ****!
>>
>>> He's the Russian ex-patriot that
>>> is responsible for the rebirth of interest in the gizmos.
>>
>> Traitors cannot be trusted.
>>
>>> http://www.powerbypavel.com/
>>
>>> I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
>>> endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
>>> incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
>>> training workout.
>>
>> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot
>> cheaper.
>>
> Kettlebells are better for two handed swings.

Kettlebells are better for both one- and two-handed swings. FWIW, not
many folks do two-handed swings as much as they do one-handed swings. I
couldn't tell you why. For me, a two handed swing means using a
significantly heavy weight and I prefer to do reps with a lighter one.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl
September 15th 06, 03:23 PM
"David" > writes:

>> Not at all.

>> We will find a few things...

>> You shouldnt.
>> Use dumbells instead.
>>
>>> A kettlebell is basically a cannon-ball with a handle. The size and
>>> shape makes it especially useful for swinging and one arm snatching.
>>
>> Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...
>>
>>> You can find pictures (and more information) at the following
>>> websites:
>>
>>> http://www.kbnj.com/
>>> http://www.kettlebellinc.com/
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> If you do even the tiniest bit of online research about kettlebells
>>> you'll run into Pavel Tsatsouline.
>>
>> No ****!
>>
>>> He's the Russian ex-patriot that
>>> is responsible for the rebirth of interest in the gizmos.
>>
>> Traitors cannot be trusted.
>>
>>> http://www.powerbypavel.com/
>>
>>> I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
>>> endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
>>> incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
>>> training workout.
>>
>> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.
>
> I now give you adjustable cattlebells
> http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4

Yeah, I should have mentioned that gizmo. I don't know how
comfortable it would be for snatches, but it would certainly work for
swings. The fact that it is adjustable (with a bit of work) is a
pretty big deal.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Earl
September 15th 06, 03:31 PM
"Pete" > writes:

-snip stuff I agree with-

>> I like mine. The kettlebell is an excellent way to train for
>> endurance strength, and kettlebell drills are a great way to
>> incorporate a bit of "active recovery" into your standard strength
>> training workout.
>
> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot
> cheaper.

That's a good point. Dumbbells are far more cost effective. Dumbbell
swings and snatches aren't quite the same, but they are close enough
if you are on a budget.

Hopefully someday sporting goods stores will carry kbells in the same
way that they current carry fixed-weight dumbbells. If that becomes
the case then the price issue will go away and kettlebells will become
a much more reasonable purchase. The offset kettlebell handle really
does make some moves much easier and safer.

My kbell is quite the conversation piece. I keep it at work and I
love freaking out my coworkers with it.

>> Kbells get a bit of a bad rap here on MFW because they are far more
>> expensive than dumbbells or barbells and Pavel is a bit of a carnival
>> barker. I'm still glad I got a kbell though, and I will probably buy
>> a few more. I wouldn't even consider replacing my Olympic weight set
>> with kbells though.
>
> God, no!

As an aside, you could do far worse than kbells. Some crazy folks use
Smith machines... :)

Jason

Steve Freides
September 15th 06, 03:50 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> "David" > writes:

>>> Not at all.

>>> We will find a few things...

>>> You shouldnt.
>>> Use dumbells instead.

>>> Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...

>>> Thanks!

>>> No ****!

>>> Traitors cannot be trusted.

>>> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot
>>> cheaper.
>>
>> I now give you adjustable cattlebells
>> http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4
>
> Yeah, I should have mentioned that gizmo. I don't know how
> comfortable it would be for snatches, but it would certainly work for
> swings. The fact that it is adjustable (with a bit of work) is a
> pretty big deal.

I owned a kettlestack handle for a while. As I think I've posted here
before, it worked well for me for swings, but it landed on the back of
my arm funny for cleans and snatches and in the end I sold it to someone
on Bryce's board who is still very happily using it.

I got the Ader kettlebell a couple of days ago. Have just started
playing with it, and I'm very pleased with it so far. I got one that's
too heavy for me to do much with right now so my time with it is
limited, but I have no complaints and only good things to say about it
so far. Here is a link to the guy's ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/master-fitness

where he has Ader kettlebell in a variety of sizes, and other stuff as
well.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hobbes
September 15th 06, 04:02 PM
In article >,
Jason Earl > wrote:

> "David" > writes:

> >> Not at all.

> >> We will find a few things...

> >> You shouldnt.
> >> Use dumbells instead.

> >> Yerah, and thowing from the top of a roof as well...

> >> Thanks!

> >> No ****!

> >> Traitors cannot be trusted.

> >> A light dumbell will do the same. Can be adjusted, and is a lot cheaper.
> >
> > I now give you adjustable cattlebells
> > http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4
>
> Yeah, I should have mentioned that gizmo. I don't know how
> comfortable it would be for snatches, but it would certainly work for
> swings. The fact that it is adjustable (with a bit of work) is a
> pretty big deal.

I have two of them (one for my gf) and they work just fine.

--
Keith

Steve Freides
September 15th 06, 04:18 PM
"Hobbes" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jason Earl > wrote:

>> > I now give you adjustable cattlebells
>> > http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/4
>>
>> Yeah, I should have mentioned that gizmo. I don't know how
>> comfortable it would be for snatches, but it would certainly work for
>> swings. The fact that it is adjustable (with a bit of work) is a
>> pretty big deal.
>
> I have two of them (one for my gf) and they work just fine.
>
> --
> Keith

gf? I thought you were a member of the long, happily married club.

Steve "member" Freides
http://www.kbnj.com

David
September 15th 06, 04:36 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Hobbes" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Jason Earl > wrote:

>>> Yeah, I should have mentioned that gizmo. I don't know how
>>> comfortable it would be for snatches, but it would certainly work for
>>> swings. The fact that it is adjustable (with a bit of work) is a
>>> pretty big deal.
>>
>> I have two of them (one for my gf) and they work just fine.
>>
>> --
>> Keith
>
> gf? I thought you were a member of the long, happily married club.

And you think that having a girlfriend suggests your marriage is unhappy?
That;s the one thing that would *make* your marriage happy.

Hobbes
September 15th 06, 07:48 PM
In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> "Hobbes" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Jason Earl > wrote:

> >> Yeah, I should have mentioned that gizmo. I don't know how
> >> comfortable it would be for snatches, but it would certainly work for
> >> swings. The fact that it is adjustable (with a bit of work) is a
> >> pretty big deal.
> >
> > I have two of them (one for my gf) and they work just fine.
> >
> > --
> > Keith
>
> gf? I thought you were a member of the long, happily married club.

Ex-member. It's been an ugly (and expensive) year.

--
Keith

Bully
September 15th 06, 08:15 PM

Imagine swinging one of those ****ers eh?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jason Earl
September 15th 06, 08:39 PM
"Bully" > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:

-snip-

>> As an aside, you could do far worse than kbells. Some crazy folks
>> use Smith machines... :)
>>
>> Jason
>
> Imagine swinging one of those ****ers eh?

If I thought I could swing a Smith machine I would buy one to practice
with. I imagine that would freak people out at the gym.

Jason

Steve Freides
September 15th 06, 09:12 PM
"Hobbes" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> "Hobbes" > wrote in message

>> > I have two of them (one for my gf) and they work just fine.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Keith
>>
>> gf? I thought you were a member of the long, happily married club.
>
> Ex-member. It's been an ugly (and expensive) year.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. How long were you married? (Feel free to take
this email if you want.)

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David
September 15th 06, 09:44 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Hobbes" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> gf? I thought you were a member of the long, happily married club.
>>
>> Ex-member. It's been an ugly (and expensive) year.
>
> Wow. Sorry to hear that. How long were you married? (Feel free to take
> this email if you want.)

Dumb prick - might your own ****ing business - can't you see that this is a
trying time for Hobbes? How long he has been married has nothing to do with
adjustable kettlebells - stick to spamming - something you are good at.

Henry
September 15th 06, 11:21 PM
Beach Runner wrote:

> In January of 2004 I was in a horrendous car wreck.
> I saw another pain/spine doctor and she said the research for people
> with bad arthritis and
> joint problems was to keep pushing weights. The activities would force
> fluid into the joints,
> and strengthen the connective tissues.
> Sure feels good.

Keep up the good work and hang in there! I've read that
the pressure in joints from lifting also stimulates
the growth of cartilage. What caused the car wreck?

--

http://911research.wtc7.net
http://www.st911.org

Lumpy
September 16th 06, 05:55 AM
Henry wrote:
> ... What caused the car wreck?

My kettlebell rolled onto my accellerator pedal
while I was on the way to the gym.

Lumpy
--
You were the Tidy Bowl Guy?
Yes. I'm cleaning your bathroom bowl.

Hobbes
September 16th 06, 03:46 PM

27 years.

--
Keith

Jason Earl
September 16th 06, 04:03 PM
Hobbes > writes:

> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> "Hobbes" > wrote in message

-snip-

>> > Ex-member. It's been an ugly (and expensive) year.
>>
>> Wow. Sorry to hear that. How long were you married? (Feel free
>> to take this email if you want.)
>
> 27 years.

Ouch. Stories like that make it hard for me to sleep at night.

Jason

Curt James
September 16th 06, 04:16 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> Hobbes writes:
> > "Steve Freides" wrote:
[...]
> >> <snip> How long were you married? <snip>
> >
> > 27 years.
>
> Ouch. Stories like that make it hard for me
> to sleep at night.

A friend of mine was married 20-plus years, nearly 30 in fact, but they
were miserable for that same period of time (at least on some level)
according to the friend. Divorce was a plus it seems. And they still
spend time together. I wouldn't lose any sleep over another person's
experience with that in mind.

I mean, if there's something wrong, wouldn't you know it? Otoh, I'm
sure there are many people who, although seemingly happily married,
have friendships that slip into something more. All you have to do is
watch the movies. And isn't fact stranger than fiction?

Uh, yeah, just some reassurance there. :oS

--
Curt

Hobbes
September 16th 06, 04:37 PM
In article om>,
"Curt James" > wrote:

> Jason Earl wrote:
> > Hobbes writes:
> > > "Steve Freides" wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > 27 years.
> >
> > Ouch. Stories like that make it hard for me
> > to sleep at night.
>
> A friend of mine was married 20-plus years, nearly 30 in fact, but they
> were miserable for that same period of time (at least on some level)
> according to the friend. Divorce was a plus it seems. And they still
> spend time together. I wouldn't lose any sleep over another person's
> experience with that in mind.
>
> I mean, if there's something wrong, wouldn't you know it? Otoh, I'm
> sure there are many people who, although seemingly happily married,
> have friendships that slip into something more. All you have to do is
> watch the movies. And isn't fact stranger than fiction?

> Uh, yeah, just some reassurance there. :oS

First paragraph pretty much sums it up I guess. I wouldn't call us
friends at this point, but...

--
Keith

Curt James
September 16th 06, 05:04 PM
Hobbes wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote:
[...]

> > A friend of mine was married 20-plus years, nearly 30 in fact, but they
> > were miserable for that same period of time (at least on some level)
> > according to the friend. Divorce was a plus it seems. And they still
> > spend time together. <snip>
> >
> > I mean, if there's something wrong, wouldn't you know it? Otoh, I'm
> > sure there are many people who, although seemingly happily married,
> > have friendships that slip into something more. All you have to do is
> > watch the movies. And isn't fact stranger than fiction?
[...]

> First paragraph pretty much sums it up I guess.

Well, condolences, fwiw.

> I wouldn't call us friends at this point, but...

And neither were the couple in the first paragraph. Not initially, but
the separation and divorce are several years gone by. Their bond,
apparently, is deeper than a piece of paper. They have a child who has
a family of their own and so I'm sure that is a factor, however their
friendship and at least a certain amount of trust remained after the
marriage was gone. I think that would have been the case even without
kids. Ymmv. (Yeah, no duh.)

I've got a cumulative 16 years or more of unwedded "bliss" and have
often joked that I'm in no better shape financially than many of my
buddies who've been slam dunked by divorce attorneys. Life is a
wonderful thing. A sense of humor makes it even better. :o)

--
Curt

Steve Freides
September 17th 06, 12:15 AM
"Hobbes" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> "Hobbes" > wrote in message

>> > Ex-member. It's been an ugly (and expensive) year.
>>
>> Wow. Sorry to hear that. How long were you married? (Feel free to
>> take
>> this email if you want.)
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>>

> 27 years.

That was about my guess, based on the ages of your kids. I'm always
sorry to hear when a marriage fails, all the more so when it's someone
like you who seems to have been very involved with their children and
been a good role model for them. You're back in school, too - lots of
change for you, no doubt about that. Hope to see you again at a meet
sometime, Keith.

Steve "22 years and very happily counting" Freides
http://www.kbnj.com

Curt James
September 17th 06, 12:31 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

> Steve "22 years and very happily counting" Freides

Words to the wise, however, and by no means an indictment of your "very
happily" Mr. Freides, but "**** happens." And may as well add another
cliché to the mix: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

What you think is perfection can often be an illusion. But I'm not
bitter. ;o)

Years ago, I approached a classmate at the hospital. I congratulated
her on her "new" marriage, but as I hadn't seen her in years, the
newness had long passed. Even more so as she responded with something
like, "Oh, we're divorced."

Turns out she and her brother - both married - played cards with
another couple. What seemed like suddenly, the one spouse moved out.
Then the other sibling's spouse moved out. The brother and sister
learned that their former spouses had... did you guess? Moved in
together and are now a married couple. Children were involved in the
one marriage, none in the other, but my former classmate said that they
were all very close friends (closer than she imagined, apparently) and
also that she'd "enjoyed" LOTS of therapy as a result of the
separation, divorce, and remarriage of her spouse to her... former
friend.

Yes, I'm guessing she was "and very happily counting," too.

--
Curt

Steve Freides
September 17th 06, 01:03 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

> Steve "22 years and very happily counting" Freides

Words to the wise, however, and by no means an indictment of your "very
happily" Mr. Freides, but "**** happens." And may as well add another
cliché to the mix: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

What you think is perfection can often be an illusion. But I'm not
bitter. ;o)

Years ago, I approached a classmate at the hospital. I congratulated
her on her "new" marriage, but as I hadn't seen her in years, the
newness had long passed. Even more so as she responded with something
like, "Oh, we're divorced."

Turns out she and her brother - both married - played cards with
another couple. What seemed like suddenly, the one spouse moved out.
Then the other sibling's spouse moved out. The brother and sister
learned that their former spouses had... did you guess? Moved in
together and are now a married couple. Children were involved in the
one marriage, none in the other, but my former classmate said that they
were all very close friends (closer than she imagined, apparently) and
also that she'd "enjoyed" LOTS of therapy as a result of the
separation, divorce, and remarriage of her spouse to her... former
friend.

Yes, I'm guessing she was "and very happily counting," too.

Huh? This is my life, not yours. I didn't say "perfect," I said
"happy."

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Curt James
September 17th 06, 03:23 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

> Huh? This is my life, not yours.

And I was talking about my former classmate's life, not yours.

> I didn't say "perfect," I said "happy."

Cool. Wishing you continued happiness.

--
Curt

Charles
September 17th 06, 08:33 AM
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:03:15 -0400, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>Steve Freides wrote:
>[...]
>
>> Steve "22 years and very happily counting" Freides
>
>Words to the wise, however, and by no means an indictment of your "very
>happily" Mr. Freides, but "**** happens." And may as well add another
>cliché to the mix: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
>
>What you think is perfection can often be an illusion. But I'm not
>bitter. ;o)
>
>Years ago, I approached a classmate at the hospital. I congratulated
>her on her "new" marriage, but as I hadn't seen her in years, the
>newness had long passed. Even more so as she responded with something
>like, "Oh, we're divorced."
>
>Turns out she and her brother - both married - played cards with
>another couple. What seemed like suddenly, the one spouse moved out.
>Then the other sibling's spouse moved out. The brother and sister
>learned that their former spouses had... did you guess? Moved in
>together and are now a married couple. Children were involved in the
>one marriage, none in the other, but my former classmate said that they
>were all very close friends (closer than she imagined, apparently) and
>also that she'd "enjoyed" LOTS of therapy as a result of the
>separation, divorce, and remarriage of her spouse to her... former
>friend.
>
>Yes, I'm guessing she was "and very happily counting," too.
>
>Huh? This is my life, not yours. I didn't say "perfect," I said
>"happy."

I celebrated my 32nd wedding anniversary last week and enjoy a very
happy relationship with my wife!

Have a great Sunday folks - you know I intend to! ;o)

Steve Freides
September 17th 06, 04:40 PM
"Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:03:15 -0400, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>>Steve Freides wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>> Steve "22 years and very happily counting" Freides
>>
>>Words to the wise, however, and by no means an indictment of your
>>"very
>>happily" Mr. Freides, but "**** happens." And may as well add another
>>cliché to the mix: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
>>
>>What you think is perfection can often be an illusion. But I'm not
>>bitter. ;o)
>>
>>Years ago, I approached a classmate at the hospital. I congratulated
>>her on her "new" marriage, but as I hadn't seen her in years, the
>>newness had long passed. Even more so as she responded with something
>>like, "Oh, we're divorced."
>>
>>Turns out she and her brother - both married - played cards with
>>another couple. What seemed like suddenly, the one spouse moved out.
>>Then the other sibling's spouse moved out. The brother and sister
>>learned that their former spouses had... did you guess? Moved in
>>together and are now a married couple. Children were involved in the
>>one marriage, none in the other, but my former classmate said that
>>they
>>were all very close friends (closer than she imagined, apparently) and
>>also that she'd "enjoyed" LOTS of therapy as a result of the
>>separation, divorce, and remarriage of her spouse to her... former
>>friend.
>>
>>Yes, I'm guessing she was "and very happily counting," too.
>>
>>Huh? This is my life, not yours. I didn't say "perfect," I said
>>"happy."
>>

> I celebrated my 32nd wedding anniversary last week and enjoy a very
> happy relationship with my wife!

Congratulations to you both.

> Have a great Sunday folks - you know I intend to! ;o)

Yup - it's a warm, sunny day here after days and days of rain, perhaps
the last touches of summer we'll have in these parts for a while. We'll
be taking a walk into town for a cup of coffee and shopping at the local
Farmers Market.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Charles
September 17th 06, 05:39 PM
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:40:23 -0400, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"Charles" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:03:15 -0400, "Steve Freides"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>>>Steve Freides wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>Words to the wise, however, and by no means an indictment of your
>>>"very
>>>happily" Mr. Freides, but "**** happens." And may as well add another
>>>cliché to the mix: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
>>>
>>>What you think is perfection can often be an illusion. But I'm not
>>>bitter. ;o)
>>>
>>>Years ago, I approached a classmate at the hospital. I congratulated
>>>her on her "new" marriage, but as I hadn't seen her in years, the
>>>newness had long passed. Even more so as she responded with something
>>>like, "Oh, we're divorced."
>>>
>>>Turns out she and her brother - both married - played cards with
>>>another couple. What seemed like suddenly, the one spouse moved out.
>>>Then the other sibling's spouse moved out. The brother and sister
>>>learned that their former spouses had... did you guess? Moved in
>>>together and are now a married couple. Children were involved in the
>>>one marriage, none in the other, but my former classmate said that
>>>they
>>>were all very close friends (closer than she imagined, apparently) and
>>>also that she'd "enjoyed" LOTS of therapy as a result of the
>>>separation, divorce, and remarriage of her spouse to her... former
>>>friend.
>>>
>>>Yes, I'm guessing she was "and very happily counting," too.
>>>
>>>Huh? This is my life, not yours. I didn't say "perfect," I said
>>>"happy."
>>>

>> I celebrated my 32nd wedding anniversary last week and enjoy a very
>> happy relationship with my wife!
>
>Congratulations to you both.

Thanks Steve! ;o)

>> Have a great Sunday folks - you know I intend to! ;o)
>
>Yup - it's a warm, sunny day here after days and days of rain, perhaps
>the last touches of summer we'll have in these parts for a while. We'll
>be taking a walk into town for a cup of coffee and shopping at the local
>Farmers Market.

Enjoy!

Curt James
September 18th 06, 02:31 AM
Charles wrote:
> "Steve Freides" wrote:
[...]

> >> Steve "22 years and very happily counting" Freides

[...]

> I celebrated my 32nd wedding anniversary last week and
> enjoy a very happy relationship with my wife!

Congratulations, Charles!

And, if I failed to mention it previously, congratulations to you and
your missus as well, Freides. My seeming discontent was, perhaps, at
you mentioning your "very happily counting" while responding to Hobbes'
immolation.

Uh, maybe that's the wrong word.

--
Curt

Steve Freides
September 18th 06, 03:00 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Charles wrote:
>> "Steve Freides" wrote:
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
>> I celebrated my 32nd wedding anniversary last week and
>> enjoy a very happy relationship with my wife!
>
> Congratulations, Charles!
>
> And, if I failed to mention it previously, congratulations to you and
> your missus as well, Freides. My seeming discontent was, perhaps, at
> you mentioning your "very happily counting" while responding to
> Hobbes'
> immolation.

I don't know Keith well, but I know him well enough to know that he
understood how I meant it.

> Uh, maybe that's the wrong word.

Yeah.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
> Curt

Hobbes
September 18th 06, 01:07 PM
In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> "Curt James" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Charles wrote:
> >> "Steve Freides" wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> I celebrated my 32nd wedding anniversary last week and
> >> enjoy a very happy relationship with my wife!
> >
> > Congratulations, Charles!
> >
> > And, if I failed to mention it previously, congratulations to you and
> > your missus as well, Freides. My seeming discontent was, perhaps, at
> > you mentioning your "very happily counting" while responding to
> > Hobbes'
> > immolation.
>
> I don't know Keith well, but I know him well enough to know that he
> understood how I meant it.

No problem on my end!

Congrats to all those who enjoyed such long and enriching relationships.
My only warning would be not to take 'em for granted.

Speaking as one who knows.

:^)

--
Keith

Charles
September 18th 06, 01:51 PM
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 06:07:48 -0600, Hobbes >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> "Curt James" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Congratulations, Charles!
>> >
>> > And, if I failed to mention it previously, congratulations to you and
>> > your missus as well, Freides. My seeming discontent was, perhaps, at
>> > you mentioning your "very happily counting" while responding to
>> > Hobbes'
>> > immolation.
>>
>> I don't know Keith well, but I know him well enough to know that he
>> understood how I meant it.
>
>No problem on my end!
>
>Congrats to all those who enjoyed such long and enriching relationships.
>My only warning would be not to take 'em for granted.
>
>Speaking as one who knows.

I'm saddened yours has come asunder Keith; I was always under the
impression that you were solid and a great family man.

I suspect my own happy situation was made easier by many separations
on duty, with just as many happy reconciliations of 'honeymoon'
intensity.

I was also able to philander to my hearts content without much chance
of being held to account.

Having said all that, there are very few if any of my close friends
and family that have suffered family breakdown. Long may it continue!

;o)

Henry
September 19th 06, 03:03 AM
Bully wrote:
> Jason Earl wrote:

> > As an aside, you could do far worse than kbells. Some crazy folks use
> > Smith machines... :)

> > Jason

> Imagine swinging one of those ****ers eh?

I bet Williams could do it. Just tell him he's got a hold
on a Liberal's throat. ;-)

> Bully
> Protein bars: http://www.proteinbars.co.uk

> "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
> matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

The Doctor makes a rhythmical and compelling point
there - I like it!

--

http://911research.wtc7.net/
http://www.st911.org

"The new America, born in sin and arrogance, delusional
in Manifest Destiny, bred in overabundant gluttony,
consumerist and materialist, fathered by George W. Bush,
Dick Cheney and the Cabal of Criminality, a country flocked
by sheeple, ignorant and conditioned, indifferent to a world
growing up around it, living delusions of empire and of
omnipotence, building hatred against it and its policies
throughout the planet, slowly dumbing down its citizens,
losing its edge in the sciences and arts, producing a nation
of acquiescent automatons brainwashed to never question
authority and always faithfully follow the crimes of governance."
- Manuel Valenzuela

"They are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And
there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to
take... men with blind hatred and armed with lethal weapons
who are capable of any atrocity... they respect no laws of
warfare or morality."
-bu$h describing his own war crimes in Iraq.
http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_mar2003.htm

Henry
September 19th 06, 03:13 AM
Jason Earl wrote:

> Ouch. Stories like that make it hard for me to sleep at night.

Compared to seeing your family shot dead at a checkpoint,
being slowly tortured to death, or having your home, your
friends' homes, and all your life's possessions destroyed by
a "smart" bomb, it's a walk in the park. Lots of people divorce,
deal with it, and move on to live a fine life. Get some
perspective!

"They are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And
there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to
take... men with blind hatred and armed with lethal weapons
who are capable of any atrocity... they respect no laws of
warfare or morality."
-bu$h describing his own war crimes in Iraq.
http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_mar2003.htm

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things
that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Jason Earl
September 19th 06, 07:28 PM
Henry > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>
>> Ouch. Stories like that make it hard for me to sleep at night.
>
> Compared to seeing your family shot dead at a checkpoint, being
> slowly tortured to death, or having your home, your friends' homes,
> and all your life's possessions destroyed by a "smart" bomb, it's a
> walk in the park. Lots of people divorce, deal with it, and move on
> to live a fine life. Get some perspective!

I lived in Peru when the Sendero Luminoso was at its height. In fact,
they killed two of my friends. That gives me a somewhat different
take on terrorists and people that harbor them.

I also happen to believe that my family can be Eternal. Kill my
family and I will be with them in the next life. I am far more afraid
of divorce than I am of death. I'm happy with my perspective and
happen to think that yours is the one that is limited.

Thanks for caring, though.

Jason

Robert Schuh
September 20th 06, 05:27 AM
Jason Earl wrote:

> Henry > writes:
>
> > Jason Earl wrote:
> >
> >> Ouch. Stories like that make it hard for me to sleep at night.
> >
> > Compared to seeing your family shot dead at a checkpoint, being
> > slowly tortured to death, or having your home, your friends' homes,
> > and all your life's possessions destroyed by a "smart" bomb, it's a
> > walk in the park. Lots of people divorce, deal with it, and move on
> > to live a fine life. Get some perspective!
>
> I lived in Peru when the Sendero Luminoso was at its height. In fact,
> they killed two of my friends. That gives me a somewhat different
> take on terrorists and people that harbor them.
>
> I also happen to believe that my family can be Eternal. Kill my
> family and I will be with them in the next life. I am far more afraid
> of divorce than I am of death. I'm happy with my perspective and
> happen to think that yours is the one that is limited.
>
> Thanks for caring, though.
>
> Jason

It really amazes me that people believe in fairy tales in 2006. Don't you
realize that you were just brain washed by your family and society to
believe in god, heaven and hell?

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Jason Earl
September 20th 06, 09:28 PM
Robert Schuh > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>
>> Henry > writes:

>> > Compared to seeing your family shot dead at a checkpoint, being
>> > slowly tortured to death, or having your home, your friends' homes,
>> > and all your life's possessions destroyed by a "smart" bomb, it's a
>> > walk in the park. Lots of people divorce, deal with it, and move on
>> > to live a fine life. Get some perspective!
>>
>> I lived in Peru when the Sendero Luminoso was at its height. In
>> fact, they killed two of my friends. That gives me a somewhat
>> different take on terrorists and people that harbor them.
>>
>> I also happen to believe that my family can be Eternal. Kill my
>> family and I will be with them in the next life. I am far more
>> afraid of divorce than I am of death. I'm happy with my
>> perspective and happen to think that yours is the one that is
>> limited.
>>
>> Thanks for caring, though.
>>
>> Jason
>
> It really amazes me that people believe in fairy tales in
> 2006. Don't you realize that you were just brain washed by your
> family and society to believe in god, heaven and hell?

It is interesting to me that someone who professes to believe that the
U.S. government could rig the Twin Towers for explosion without anyone
noticing would make fun of someone else's beliefs.

Either way, my beliefs aren't changing, and so you'll have to forgive
me if I continue to believe that a divorce from my lovely wife would
be a fate worse than death. On the plus side my beliefs have the
added benefit of guaranteeing that I spend a great deal of time and
effort on my relationship with my family (and especially on the
relationship with my wife). As I derive a great deal of satisfaction
from these relationships I find my belief system to not only be
inspiring, but amazingly practical.

You'd be lucky if your belief system worked half as well for you.

Jason