PDA

View Full Version : Fast or Slow reps?

The Litwaks
September 15th 06, 06:22 AM
If I'm going for burning calories (rather than looking muscular), is
it better to do slow or fast reps? After three weeks of working hard,
with about 30 mins. of cardio and 30 mins of weight training 5-6 days
per week, and trying to somewhat restrict my calories, I've not lost a
single pound. Nothing. So I'm looking for anything I can do to make my
workout more effective. Thanks.

Pez D Spencer
September 15th 06, 06:31 AM
The Litwaks wrote:
> If I'm going for burning calories (rather than looking muscular), is
> it better to do slow or fast reps?

you're asking a complicated and advanced question relative to your
experience. there's no good way to answer that question considering
your level of experience.

that being said, slower reps are better for the inexperienced lifter
because they cut down on the possibility of injury.

James Ahrens
September 17th 06, 06:25 PM
Litwaks,

I agree with Pez, that slower (or controlled) reps are both safer and
good practice in keeping correct form under pressure.
Without getting into complicated argument about, whether speed over
distance is power, and that power requires work and therefore calories
etc etc.

Its always worth looking at it simply, you need to use weights
correctly, as the end goal is to put the required level of stress on
the muscle, therefore keeping the correct form is necessary, and
becomes harder to maintain, if you are a) going too fast or b) lifting
too much weight for your level.

You might want to think about keeping reps at a moderate pace but
upping your weight or the rep number, or even adding a set.

Now the one other issue to bear in mind. If you haven't done a lot of
training previously, you are likely to have put on some muscle and also
you might be retaining more water.

So overall you are on the road to increasing your metabolism and
ultimately losing weight, its just not noticable on the scales yet.

3 weeks, in my experience is kind of a threshhold, so hang in there,
and persevere before you start making dramatic changes.

Good Luck,

James Ahrens
www.workouts4weightloss.com

The Litwaks wrote:
> If I'm going for burning calories (rather than looking muscular), is
> it better to do slow or fast reps? After three weeks of working hard,
> with about 30 mins. of cardio and 30 mins of weight training 5-6 days
> per week, and trying to somewhat restrict my calories, I've not lost a
> single pound. Nothing. So I'm looking for anything I can do to make my
> workout more effective. Thanks.

joanne
September 17th 06, 08:53 PM
The Litwaks wrote:
> If I'm going for burning calories (rather than looking muscular), is
> it better to do slow or fast reps?

Usually if people are doing 'fast' reps, they arent lifting enough
weight to challenge their muscles. I see people all the time in the
gym doing the 1-2, 1-2 fast reps (usually clinking the dumbells in
time too) and they somehow think faster is better. Looks stupid IMHO -
slower, heavier, while proper form, actually feeling it in your muscles
is always better I think.

> After three weeks of working hard,

Three weeks is nothing. Change comes with time. Patience. Do a basic
basic program/routine for like three months and then tweek it if you
dont see the changes you want. It takes time for your body to adjust.
You didnt gain weight overnight and it doesnt come off overnight
either. Work at it.

> with about 30 mins. of cardio and 30 mins of weight training 5-6 days
> per week,

You will get more out of both if you do cardio after your weights and
not before.

> and trying to somewhat restrict my calories, I've not lost a
> single pound. Nothing.

Somewhat? Well there's your problem. You arent making a sufficient
*consistant* caloric deficit by eating less and or exercising more.
Nutrition is very important.

> So I'm looking for anything I can do to make my
> workout more effective.

Your workout is probably fine (altho add in 'pushaways' from the
table). Scrutinize what you eat on a daily basis and tighten it up to
reach your goals.

joanne

Curt James
September 18th 06, 01:50 AM
The Litwaks wrote:
> If I'm going for burning calories (rather than looking muscular), is
> it better to do slow or fast reps? After three weeks of working hard,
> with about 30 mins. of cardio and 30 mins of weight training 5-6 days
> per week, and trying to somewhat restrict my calories, I've not lost a
> single pound. Nothing. So I'm looking for anything I can do to make my
> workout more effective. Thanks.

Slower would be better, imo, as more muscle will be built (which will
then burn more calories) by moving the weight in a controlled manner
and with significant weight to create the need for that all-important
adaptive reaction.

Just flapping around with light weights won't inspire an adaptive
response. You'd be better off spending your time on the treadmill.

--
Curt

September 18th 06, 02:29 PM
The Litwaks wrote:

> If I'm going for burning calories (rather than looking muscular), is
> it better to do slow or fast reps? After three weeks of working hard,
> with about 30 mins. of cardio and 30 mins of weight training 5-6 days
> per week, and trying to somewhat restrict my calories, I've not lost a
> single pound. Nothing. So I'm looking for anything I can do to make my
> workout more effective. Thanks.

Hey. Exactly the same as me....