PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lance Armstrong's drug use may have caused his cancer

Robert Chung
September 15th 06, 05:27 PM
spoke in the wheel wrote:

> "[...]But no published
> study links steroids use with testicular cancer in humans or
> laboratory animals. I couldn't find a study that even suggested such a
> linkage. [...]
> Further, no published studies link the other performance enhancing
> drugs mentioned by Swift - that is, testosterone, cortisone, human
> growth hormone, and EPO - with testicular cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10526287

JMW
September 15th 06, 06:22 PM
"Robert Chung" > wrote:

>spoke in the wheel wrote:
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213881,00.html
>>
>> "[...]But no published
>> study links steroids use with testicular cancer in humans or
>> laboratory animals. I couldn't find a study that even suggested such a
>> linkage. [...]
>> Further, no published studies link the other performance enhancing
>> drugs mentioned by Swift - that is, testosterone, cortisone, human
>> growth hormone, and EPO - with testicular cancer.
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10526287

Hmmm ... case studies are, by nature, anecdotal. And the authors
acknowledge in the abstract that intratesticular leiomyosarcoma, in
and of itself, is pretty rare. I notice that there is a comment in a
subsequent issue, but I don't have access to that journal. It would
be interesting to see if that commentary critiqued the original
authors' conclusions.

Dmitri?

Beach Runner
September 15th 06, 08:06 PM
Robert Chung wrote:
> spoke in the wheel wrote:
> > http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213881,00.html
> >
> > "[...]But no published
> > study links steroids use with testicular cancer in humans or
> > laboratory animals. I couldn't find a study that even suggested such a
> > linkage. [...]
> > Further, no published studies link the other performance enhancing
> > drugs mentioned by Swift - that is, testosterone, cortisone, human
> > growth hormone, and EPO - with testicular cancer.
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10526287

It's a big witch hunt.

September 15th 06, 08:15 PM
On 15 Sep 2006 12:06:02 -0700, "Beach Runner" > wrote:

>Robert Chung wrote:
>> spoke in the wheel wrote:
>> > http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213881,00.html
>> >
>> > "[...]But no published
>> > study links steroids use with testicular cancer in humans or
>> > laboratory animals. I couldn't find a study that even suggested such a
>> > linkage. [...]
>> > Further, no published studies link the other performance enhancing
>> > drugs mentioned by Swift - that is, testosterone, cortisone, human
>> > growth hormone, and EPO - with testicular cancer.
>>
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10526287
>

>It's a big witch hunt.

He traded a nut for roughly 60 million dollars. I think it was a pretty good
deal...:)

B. Lafferty
September 15th 06, 08:47 PM
"Beach Runner" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Robert Chung wrote:
>> spoke in the wheel wrote:
>> > http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213881,00.html
>> >
>> > "[...]But no published
>> > study links steroids use with testicular cancer in humans or
>> > laboratory animals. I couldn't find a study that even suggested such a
>> > linkage. [...]
>> > Further, no published studies link the other performance enhancing
>> > drugs mentioned by Swift - that is, testosterone, cortisone, human
>> > growth hormone, and EPO - with testicular cancer.
>>
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10526287
>

> It's a big witch hunt.

Only because this time there ARE witches.