PDA

View Full Version : Re: Lance Armstrong's drug use may have caused his cancer

benjo maso
September 15th 06, 06:33 PM
"spoke in the wheel" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Lance Armstrong's Self-Inflicted Cancer?
>
> Thursday , September 14, 2006
>
> By Steven Milloy
>
> Did the use of performance-enhancing drugs cause seven-time Tour de
> France winner Lance Armstrong's testicular cancer? That's what a
> Sports Illustrated columnist suggested this week. It's a provocative
> comment that warrants scrutiny from a scientific perspective.

AFAIK the first time this hypothesis has been proposed was on the 19th of
november 1996 by Tour doctor Gérard Porte in the Equipe. It is extensively
discussed in L.A. Confidentiel by Pierre Ballester and David Walsh. So I'm
afraid it's not sensational news.

Benjo

B. Lafferty
September 15th 06, 07:42 PM
"benjo maso" > wrote in message

> "spoke in the wheel" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213881,00.html
>>
>> Lance Armstrong's Self-Inflicted Cancer?
>>
>> Thursday , September 14, 2006
>>
>> By Steven Milloy
>>
>> Did the use of performance-enhancing drugs cause seven-time Tour de
>> France winner Lance Armstrong's testicular cancer? That's what a
>> Sports Illustrated columnist suggested this week. It's a provocative
>> comment that warrants scrutiny from a scientific perspective.
>

> AFAIK the first time this hypothesis has been proposed was on the 19th of
> november 1996 by Tour doctor Gérard Porte in the Equipe. It is extensively
> discussed in L.A. Confidentiel by Pierre Ballester and David Walsh. So I'm
> afraid it's not sensational news.
>
> Benjo

Most here in the unilingual world of rbr haven't read the book yet. You are
quite correct and it was interesting reading.

jimmy
September 16th 06, 03:34 AM
Yeah good point

What are we talking about in this post, exactly?

Hormone replacement therapy under the watch of a doctor?
Or
Using hormones for performance enhancement?

Statistics from NIDA state that performance-hormone users use dosages
10-100 times the dosage for therapeutic-hormone (MD approved) users who
have abnormally low levels of endogenous (natural) testosterone.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/about/welcome/messagesteroids305.html

The issue is performance enhancement, not hormone replacement.