PDA

View Full Version : Egg White Protein


September 15th 06, 07:10 PM
Hi All

I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg white
protein?

I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me that
it has the perfect protein
ratio that means when he exercises he becomes leaner.

I found some links for supplements at www.Ronniecoleman.at but no egg
white.

I see at eggworld that you can buy liquid egg white but I hear it make
you fart a lot!

So what would yu recommend supplements or cooked egg white and if
supplements which ones.

I'm 6ft2" and 13.5 stone so athethletic and looking to become defined
and lean rather than "big"

Regards
Erik

Jason Earl
September 15th 06, 08:55 PM
writes:

> Hi All
>
> I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg
> white protein?

Egg whites are basically the gold standard for protein quality.

> I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me
> that it has the perfect protein ratio that means when he exercises
> he becomes leaner.

Eggs are a cheap protein source, that is readily available.

> I found some links for supplements at www.Ronniecoleman.at but no
> egg white.

That's because you can get eggs at any grocer on the planet. What's
more, you can buy egg whites or powdered egg inexpensively as well.
No one on the Internet is going to be able to compete with your local
grocer on something like egg whites.

> I see at eggworld that you can buy liquid egg white but I hear it
> make you fart a lot!

Changing your diet can make things more interesting for your digestive
system. There are things that you can do to help work these issues
out.

> So what would yu recommend supplements or cooked egg white and if
> supplements which ones.

Whey protein powder is also inexpensive, and it is absorbed quickly by
your body. This makes it especially useful after your workout when
your body needs the available amino acids. Most folks concerned about
eating a lot of protein per day will use eggs and egg whites in
particular.

No need to look for egg supplements though. Extracting the egg white
from an egg is not rocket science.

> I'm 6ft2" and 13.5 stone so athethletic and looking to become
> defined and lean rather than "big"

Diet is key for this sort of thing. Eggs will certainly help.

Good luck,
Jason

Will Brink
September 15th 06, 11:08 PM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg white
> protein?

>
> I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me that
> it has the perfect protein
> ratio that means when he exercises he becomes leaner.

Your friend would be wrong. Whole eggs have a BV score of 100. Egg whites
don't have such a high BV score. It's still a decent protein source, but
all talk of eggs being the "perfect protein" are based on whole eggs.
There are no magic -or perfect - proteins, though whey comes close...

Jason Earl
September 15th 06, 11:14 PM
(Will Brink) writes:

> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg white
>> protein?
>
>>
>> I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me
>> that it has the perfect protein ratio that means when he exercises
>> he becomes leaner.
>
> Your friend would be wrong. Whole eggs have a BV score of 100. Egg
> whites don't have such a high BV score. It's still a decent protein
> source, but all talk of eggs being the "perfect protein" are based
> on whole eggs. There are no magic -or perfect - proteins, though
> whey comes close...

Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
whole eggs and egg whites.

Jason

Will Brink
September 16th 06, 12:14 AM
In article >, Jason Earl
> wrote:

> (Will Brink) writes:
>
> > In article . com>,
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg white
> >> protein?
> >
> >>
> >> I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me
> >> that it has the perfect protein ratio that means when he exercises
> >> he becomes leaner.
> >
> > Your friend would be wrong. Whole eggs have a BV score of 100. Egg
> > whites don't have such a high BV score. It's still a decent protein
> > source, but all talk of eggs being the "perfect protein" are based
> > on whole eggs. There are no magic -or perfect - proteins, though
> > whey comes close...
>
> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
> whole eggs and egg whites.

It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white that has
the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.


>
> Jason

JMW
September 16th 06, 06:26 AM
Jason Earl > wrote:

writes:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg
>> white protein?
>
>Egg whites are basically the gold standard for protein quality.
>
>> I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me
>> that it has the perfect protein ratio that means when he exercises
>> he becomes leaner.
>
>Eggs are a cheap protein source, that is readily available.
>
>> I found some links for supplements at www.Ronniecoleman.at but no
>> egg white.
>
>That's because you can get eggs at any grocer on the planet. What's
>more, you can buy egg whites or powdered egg inexpensively as well.
>No one on the Internet is going to be able to compete with your local
>grocer on something like egg whites.

http://proteinfactory.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=38

Curt James
September 16th 06, 06:52 AM
Jason Earl wrote:
[...]

> No need to look for egg supplements though.
> Extracting the egg white from an egg is not
> rocket science.

True.

Still, I prefer using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites -
http://betterneggs.com/ - as there's no muss or fuss. Plus they're not
all that much more expensive than regular eggs.

....

Hey, I just may be able to beat regular egg prices, too! While on the
AllWhites website, I signed up for their Year of Better'n Eggs®
Sweepstakes. Sweet!

And a company that's getting a lot of attention currently:
http://www.lanaseggwhites.com/

--
Curt

Pete
September 16th 06, 11:10 AM
"Will Brink" > schreef:

>> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
>> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
>> whole eggs and egg whites.

> It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white that has
> the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.

I have been reading more then once that the yolk has, besides protein, a
truckload of nutrients.

I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*

----
Pete

Will Brink
September 16th 06, 01:35 PM
In article >, "Pete"
> wrote:

> "Will Brink" > schreef:
>
> >> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
> >> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
> >> whole eggs and egg whites.
>
> > It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white that has
> > the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.
>
> I have been reading more then once that the yolk has, besides protein, a
> truckload of nutrients.

It's pretty much where all the nutrients are.

>
> I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*

Studies also find that to be the case,

>
> ----
> Pete

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 16th 06, 03:44 PM
In article >,
(Will Brink) wrote:

> In article >, "Pete"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Will Brink" > schreef:
> >
> > >> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
> > >> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
> > >> whole eggs and egg whites.
> >
> > > It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white that has
> > > the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.
> >
> > I have been reading more then once that the yolk has, besides protein, a
> > truckload of nutrients.
>
> It's pretty much where all the nutrients are.
>
> >
> > I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> > And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*
>
> Studies also find that to be the case,
>
> >
> > ----
> > Pete

Gee, does this mean that Atkins was right? ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
-- Jack Nicholson

Jason Earl
September 16th 06, 03:53 PM
JMW > writes:

> Jason Earl > wrote:
>
writes:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone can infrom me about the pros and cons of egg
>>> white protein?
>>
>>Egg whites are basically the gold standard for protein quality.
>>
>>> I have a friend who is eating 12 + egg whites a day! He tells me
>>> that it has the perfect protein ratio that means when he exercises
>>> he becomes leaner.
>>
>>Eggs are a cheap protein source, that is readily available.
>>
>>> I found some links for supplements at www.Ronniecoleman.at but no
>>> egg white.
>>
>>That's because you can get eggs at any grocer on the planet. What's
>>more, you can buy egg whites or powdered egg inexpensively as well.
>>No one on the Internet is going to be able to compete with your local
>>grocer on something like egg whites.
>
> http://proteinfactory.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=38

I suppose I should never underestimate what people will try to sell on
the Internet.

Jason

Curt James
September 16th 06, 04:03 PM
Pete wrote:
[...]

> I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*

I grew up on whole milk, scrapple, bacon and eggs. The movie Rocky had
me gulping down raw eggs by the dozen. And I'd love to know how much
ice cream, raw eggs, and peanut butter I consumed in blender drinks as
a teenager. I still eat steak, eggs, and, the occasional order of
scrapple at a local diner and my cholesterol levels, as of May 2006,
includ a total of 143, HDL 58, and LDL 75.

Genetics count for a lot.

(looks at 14 3/8" flexed bicep)

Unfortunately, genetics covers a lot (or a little :o/) of territory.

> Pete

--
Curt

joanne
September 16th 06, 07:26 PM
Curt James wrote:
> Jason Earl wrote:
> > No need to look for egg supplements though.
> > Extracting the egg white from an egg is not
> > rocket science.
>
> True.

But its wasteful and messy too ...
You can also hardboil eggs and give your dog/cat the yolks.
I make an egg salad sandwich with four whites to one whole egg, a bit
of mayo, celery/onion in a whole wheat pita pocket for lunches.

> Still, I prefer using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites -
> http://betterneggs.com/ - as there's no muss or fuss. Plus they're not
> all that much more expensive than regular eggs.


I like Eggology .. no extra crap in them .. sometimes cheaper is not
better:
http://www.eggology.com/about_whites.htm
I buy them at Wild Oats Market but use their store locator if you dont
want to shop online.


joanne

mike
September 16th 06, 09:18 PM
"Pete" > wrote in message
...
> "Will Brink" > schreef:
>
> >> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
> >> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
> >> whole eggs and egg whites.
>
> > It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white that
has
> > the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.
>
> I have been reading more then once that the yolk has, besides protein, a
> truckload of nutrients.
>
> I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*
>
> ----
> Pete
>
Sperm count must have been high...lol

mike
September 16th 06, 09:21 PM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Pete wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> > And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*
>
> I grew up on whole milk, scrapple, bacon and eggs. The movie Rocky had
> me gulping down raw eggs by the dozen. And I'd love to know how much
> ice cream, raw eggs, and peanut butter I consumed in blender drinks as
> a teenager. I still eat steak, eggs, and, the occasional order of
> scrapple at a local diner and my cholesterol levels, as of May 2006,
> includ a total of 143, HDL 58, and LDL 75.
>
> Genetics count for a lot.
>
> (looks at 14 3/8" flexed bicep)
>
> Unfortunately, genetics covers a lot (or a little :o/) of territory.
>

Anywhere else then Curt.....lol

JMW
September 16th 06, 09:34 PM
"joanne" > wrote:
>
>Curt James wrote:
>> Jason Earl wrote:
>> > No need to look for egg supplements though.
>> > Extracting the egg white from an egg is not
>> > rocket science.
>>
>> True.
>
>But its wasteful and messy too ...
>You can also hardboil eggs and give your dog/cat the yolks.
>I make an egg salad sandwich with four whites to one whole egg, a bit
>of mayo, celery/onion in a whole wheat pita pocket for lunches.
>
>> Still, I prefer using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites -
>> http://betterneggs.com/ - as there's no muss or fuss. Plus they're not
>> all that much more expensive than regular eggs.
>
>
>I like Eggology .. no extra crap in them .. sometimes cheaper is not
>better:
>http://www.eggology.com/about_whites.htm
>I buy them at Wild Oats Market but use their store locator if you dont
>want to shop online.

Not sure what "extra crap" you're talking about. The ones which try
to emulate whole eggs have other stuff, but the ones that just try to
be eggs whites don't. In fact, the xanthan and guar gums in the
original Egg Beaters will give you some much-needed soluble fiber if
you're eating a lot of egg whites.

Jason Earl
September 16th 06, 10:03 PM
"joanne" > writes:

> Curt James wrote:
>> Jason Earl wrote:
>> > No need to look for egg supplements though.
>> > Extracting the egg white from an egg is not
>> > rocket science.
>>
>> True.
>
> But its wasteful and messy too ... You can also hardboil eggs and
> give your dog/cat the yolks. I make an egg salad sandwich with four
> whites to one whole egg, a bit of mayo, celery/onion in a whole
> wheat pita pocket for lunches.

I have children not dogs and or cats. So I just eat the whole egg.

>> Still, I prefer using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites -
>> http://betterneggs.com/ - as there's no muss or fuss. Plus they're
>> not all that much more expensive than regular eggs.
>
>
> I like Eggology .. no extra crap in them .. sometimes cheaper is not
> better: http://www.eggology.com/about_whites.htm I buy them at Wild
> Oats Market but use their store locator if you dont want to shop
> online.

And why not just Egg Beaters? It seems like I can get those bad boys
at my normal grocery store. I make a point of not shopping at stores
where hemp is considered a suitable material for clothing.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 16th 06, 10:08 PM
JMW > writes:

> "joanne" > wrote:
>>
>>Curt James wrote:
>>> Jason Earl wrote:
>>> > No need to look for egg supplements though.
>>> > Extracting the egg white from an egg is not
>>> > rocket science.
>>>
>>> True.
>>
>>But its wasteful and messy too ...
>>You can also hardboil eggs and give your dog/cat the yolks.
>>I make an egg salad sandwich with four whites to one whole egg, a bit
>>of mayo, celery/onion in a whole wheat pita pocket for lunches.
>>
>>> Still, I prefer using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites -
>>> http://betterneggs.com/ - as there's no muss or fuss. Plus they're not
>>> all that much more expensive than regular eggs.
>>
>>
>>I like Eggology .. no extra crap in them .. sometimes cheaper is not
>>better:
>>http://www.eggology.com/about_whites.htm
>>I buy them at Wild Oats Market but use their store locator if you dont
>>want to shop online.
>
> Not sure what "extra crap" you're talking about. The ones which try
> to emulate whole eggs have other stuff, but the ones that just try to
> be eggs whites don't. In fact, the xanthan and guar gums in the
> original Egg Beaters will give you some much-needed soluble fiber if
> you're eating a lot of egg whites.

I suppose that answers my question. Thanks. Not that I am planning
on giving up whole eggs... :).

Jason

Curt James
September 16th 06, 11:20 PM
mike wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote
[...]

> > <snip> I still eat steak, eggs, and, the occasional
> > order of scrapple at a local diner and my cholesterol
> > levels, as of May 2006, include a total of 143, HDL 58,
> > and LDL 75.
> >
> > Genetics count for a lot.
> >
> > (looks at 14 3/8" flexed bicep)
> >
> > Unfortunately, genetics covers a lot (or a little :o/) of
> > territory.
>
> Anywhere else then Curt.....lol

HA! That brings to mind some Mel Brooks dialogue. Blazing Saddles,
iirc, two woman sitting 'round a campfire and the one says to the other
that her husband told her that four inches was the largest penis on
record in the world. Thankfully, I'm NOT that woman's husband. But,
sadly, we're not talking double digits either. Unless, of course, I go
metric! Gotta love the metric system. My biceps easily tops a massive
36!

....

Okay, centimeters. And, yeah, the /anywhere else then/ is
correspondingly HYOOOG!!!

--
Curt

JMW
September 17th 06, 02:46 AM
Jason Earl > wrote:

>"joanne" > writes:
>
>> Curt James wrote:
>>> Jason Earl wrote:
>>> > No need to look for egg supplements though.
>>> > Extracting the egg white from an egg is not
>>> > rocket science.
>>>
>>> True.
>>
>> But its wasteful and messy too ... You can also hardboil eggs and
>> give your dog/cat the yolks. I make an egg salad sandwich with four
>> whites to one whole egg, a bit of mayo, celery/onion in a whole
>> wheat pita pocket for lunches.
>
>I have children not dogs and or cats. So I just eat the whole egg.
>
>>> Still, I prefer using AllWhites® 100% Liquid Egg Whites -
>>> http://betterneggs.com/ - as there's no muss or fuss. Plus they're
>>> not all that much more expensive than regular eggs.
>>
>>
>> I like Eggology .. no extra crap in them .. sometimes cheaper is not
>> better: http://www.eggology.com/about_whites.htm I buy them at Wild
>> Oats Market but use their store locator if you dont want to shop
>> online.
>
>And why not just Egg Beaters? It seems like I can get those bad boys
>at my normal grocery store. I make a point of not shopping at stores
>where hemp is considered a suitable material for clothing.

joni is into that corporate neo-hipness thing.

Pete
September 17th 06, 09:48 AM
"mike" > schreef:

>> I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
>> And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*

> Sperm count must have been high...lol

Actually... sperm was low ;-O

But i was shooting truckloads of seminal fluid!

----
Pete

Will Brink
September 17th 06, 02:53 PM
In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> (Will Brink) wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Pete"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > "Will Brink" > schreef:
> > >
> > > >> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
> > > >> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
> > > >> whole eggs and egg whites.
> > >
> > > > It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white
that has
> > > > the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.
> > >
> > > I have been reading more then once that the yolk has, besides protein, a
> > > truckload of nutrients.
> >
> > It's pretty much where all the nutrients are.
> >
> > >
> > > I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> > > And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*
> >
> > Studies also find that to be the case,
> >
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Pete
>
> Gee, does this mean that Atkins was right? ;-)

In what way?

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 17th 06, 05:20 PM
In article >,
(Will Brink) wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (Will Brink) wrote:
> >
> > > In article >, "Pete"
> > > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > "Will Brink" > schreef:
> > > >
> > > > >> Thanks for that Will. I knew eggs were a good protein source, but I
> > > > >> didn't realize that there was a discrepancy in the BV score between
> > > > >> whole eggs and egg whites.
> > > >
> > > > > It's not a huge difference but most people think it's egg white
> that has
> > > > > the BV score of 100 when it's whole egg.
> > > >
> > > > I have been reading more then once that the yolk has, besides protein,
> > > > a
> > > > truckload of nutrients.
> > >
> > > It's pretty much where all the nutrients are.
> > >
> > > >
> > > > I went up to 12 eggs a day in the past. WITH the yolk.
> > > > And guess what? My cholesterol level was *low.*
> > >
> > > Studies also find that to be the case,
> > >
> > > >
> > > > ----
> > > > Pete
> >
> > Gee, does this mean that Atkins was right? ;-)
>
> In what way?

That a high fat high protein diet promotes heart health.

Eating cholesterol does not raise your serum cholesterol but it's still
an extremely common myth.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
-- Jack Nicholson