PDA

View Full Version : Number of Reps in a Set

jimmy
September 16th 06, 04:07 AM
just to share

http://look-better-naked.blogspot.com/2006/09/number-of-reps-in-set.html

Pez D Spencer
September 16th 06, 06:33 AM
4-6 seems to be the most effective for strength gain.

Bully
September 16th 06, 11:39 AM
Pez D Spencer wrote:
> 4-6 seems to be the most effective for strength gain.

Is that cut and pasted from the web site, or is it your personal opinion?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pez D Spencer
September 16th 06, 02:21 PM
Bully wrote:
> Pez D Spencer wrote:
> > 4-6 seems to be the most effective for strength gain.
>
> Is that cut and pasted from the web site, or is it your personal opinion?

it's the opinion of bill starr from research done in the 60's.

i would go as far as to say that 1-6 reps seems to be the most
effective for strength gain.

JMW
September 16th 06, 07:04 PM
"Pez D Spencer" > wrote:

>Bully wrote:
>> Pez D Spencer wrote:
>> > 4-6 seems to be the most effective for strength gain.
>>
>> Is that cut and pasted from the web site, or is it your personal opinion?
>
>it's the opinion of bill starr from research done in the 60's.
>
>i would go as far as to say that 1-6 reps seems to be the most
>effective for strength gain.

Though I don't disagree with you, why do you always refer to research
and experiences from the 60s, 70s, and 80s as though things back then
exuded some sort of immutable truth? You seem to have a real retro
fascination with that time period. Even your email address reflects
that.

Kettlebell Inc
September 17th 06, 02:39 AM
Pez D Spencer wrote:

> i would go as far as to say that 1-6 reps seems to be the most
> effective for strength gain.

I agree, 1-6 reps, never to failure for strength gain. Pretty much
conventional wisdom.

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com/kettlebellinfo

Steve Freides
September 17th 06, 06:28 PM
"Pez D Spencer" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 4-6 seems to be the most effective for strength gain.

1-3 reps is also very effective for pure strength. I've done singles
and doubles at 90-95% 1RM on long rests for an entire cycle and gotten
good results from it more than once. Sometimes, particularly if you
aren't lifting at a meet every few months, you need to go heavy. You'll
find plenty of competitive PL'ers whose training logs include things
like 5-10 sets of triples.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com