PDA

View Full Version : Your tax dollars at work?

Curt James
September 16th 06, 04:34 PM
James Shortt, a former West Columbia, South Carolina, physician,
pleaded guilty last February to one count of conspiracy to distribute
anabolic steroids and human growth hormone. He's in the news again as
the debate on steroids continues:

"There are numerous problems with Congress imposing a uniform drug
testing policy, not the least of which is that a law imposing federal
guidelines on the sports industry flies in the face of the idea of
self-regulation among professional leagues. Congress's proposed
legislation also turns a blind eye to earlier legislation that tackled
the issue: the Anabolic Steroid Act of 1990 made possession of steroids
illegal without a prescription. So why is Congress asking the
professional leagues to do the work of law enforcement? If Congress is
so concerned about steroid possession, it should let the proper law
enforcement arm handle the investigation and arrest of suspected
distributors and users, just like it does for other controlled
substances, including cocaine, heroin, and other drugs.

The judicial system has worked in the BALCO case, although the
sentences given to BALCO founder Victor Conte and others were
relatively light: The Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative's chief was
sentenced to four months jail time followed by another four under house
arrest. It has also proved effective in the investigation of Shortt,
who lost his license and got some jail time." From:
http://www.nysun.com/article/39605

Curt James
September 16th 06, 06:07 PM
Shute wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote:
>
> >James Shortt, a former West Columbia, South Carolina,
> >physician, pleaded guilty last February to one count of
> >conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids <snip>
>
> So what exactly is "conspiracy to distribute"? <snip>

Conspiracy may be charged in a federal AAS prosecution as federal
statute 21 USC Sec. 846 - see http://trac.syr.edu/laws/21USC846.html -
allows. Prosecutors apparently love conspiracy charges, especially in
tough cases. And, you're right, conspiracy means the distribution
didn't necessarily happen but there was a "plan" for it to happen. How
do you defend yourself against, "He had a... a plan!"?

I bet Shortt is a great guy, but his bio page makes me think of a
comedian's bit, something about somewhere, right now, someone is being
operated on by the world's worst surgeon. I mean, someone graduated
last in their med school class, right? From Shortt's bio:

"He received his Medical Degree from the American University of the
Caribbean in Montserrat."

Let's see, Johns Hopkins or... AUC <http://www.aucmed.edu/>. Hmmm. Of
course, I'm a graduate of Millersville University of Pennsylvania
which, yeah, is not held in quite the same esteem as, say, Harvard. ;o)

--
Curt