PDA

View Full Version : Exercise program for month but no weight loss

September 18th 06, 11:13 AM
OK. I know I havent changed my diet that much but I've visitng the gym
three times a week for over a month now and following a devised plan
but no weight loss yet.

OK. I'm 100% fitter and stronger than I was and there has been 'some'
change in my body shape but no weight loss. I know it takes time but I
was expecting a little weight loss.

James Ahrens
September 18th 06, 11:31 AM
Bertie,

There is a post on the previous page (15 Sep I tihnk) with some good
replies on this.
In a nutshell, your biggest challenge is to stay motivated and aware of
what phase of training and weightloss you're in.
a) you've probably put on muscle, and are better hydrated than when you
weren't training, so its not uncommon to actually put weight on when
you start training,
So thats a good thing! more muscle mass will have raised your base
metabolism and you're on the right path

b) One month is still a very short time to see significant effects. I
mean you haven't trained for 10 years as you say, so it will take some
time and patience to get those muscles and metabolism to adapt. I mean,
you can starve yourself and go on a triple marathon and lose a bunch of
weight in a month, but thats not a long term thing you can maintain.

Hang in there,

James

www.workouts4weightloss.com

wrote:
> OK. I know I havent changed my diet that much but I've visitng the gym
> three times a week for over a month now and following a devised plan
> but no weight loss yet.
>
> OK. I'm 100% fitter and stronger than I was and there has been 'some'
> change in my body shape but no weight loss. I know it takes time but I
> was expecting a little weight loss.

September 18th 06, 02:22 PM
James Ahrens wrote:

> Bertie,
>
> There is a post on the previous page (15 Sep I tihnk) with some good
> replies on this.
> In a nutshell, your biggest challenge is to stay motivated and aware of
> what phase of training and weightloss you're in.
> a) you've probably put on muscle, and are better hydrated than when you
> weren't training, so its not uncommon to actually put weight on when
> you start training,
> So thats a good thing! more muscle mass will have raised your base
> metabolism and you're on the right path

Do you know what? I think you're right. I have gained a few pounds. I
just find it weird that I'm exercising a LOT more, eating a little
better but still gaining weight !

> b) One month is still a very short time to see significant effects. I
> mean you haven't trained for 10 years as you say, so it will take some
> time and patience to get those muscles and metabolism to adapt. I mean,
> you can starve yourself and go on a triple marathon and lose a bunch of
> weight in a month, but thats not a long term thing you can maintain.

A month is a long time and a lot of effort for me !!!! :-)

Like I said, I feel fitter though. Also, my body fat % has dropped a
few % from 33 to 31% (still not great though, eh?)

> Hang in there,
>
> James
>
> www.workouts4weightloss.com
>

> wrote:
> > OK. I know I havent changed my diet that much but I've visitng the gym
> > three times a week for over a month now and following a devised plan
> > but no weight loss yet.
> >
> > OK. I'm 100% fitter and stronger than I was and there has been 'some'
> > change in my body shape but no weight loss. I know it takes time but I
> > was expecting a little weight loss.

oregonchick.
September 18th 06, 02:58 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> James Ahrens wrote:
>
>> Bertie,
>>
>> There is a post on the previous page (15 Sep I tihnk) with some good
>> replies on this.
>> In a nutshell, your biggest challenge is to stay motivated and aware of
>> what phase of training and weightloss you're in.
>> a) you've probably put on muscle, and are better hydrated than when you
>> weren't training, so its not uncommon to actually put weight on when
>> you start training,
>> So thats a good thing! more muscle mass will have raised your base
>> metabolism and you're on the right path
>
> Do you know what? I think you're right. I have gained a few pounds. I
> just find it weird that I'm exercising a LOT more, eating a little
> better but still gaining weight !
>

>> b) One month is still a very short time to see significant effects. I
>> mean you haven't trained for 10 years as you say, so it will take some
>> time and patience to get those muscles and metabolism to adapt. I mean,
>> you can starve yourself and go on a triple marathon and lose a bunch of
>> weight in a month, but thats not a long term thing you can maintain.
>
> A month is a long time and a lot of effort for me !!!! :-)
>
> Like I said, I feel fitter though. Also, my body fat % has dropped a
> few % from 33 to 31% (still not great though, eh?)

Yeah, well, you need to get into a mindset that you are in this for the long
haul. You didn't become fat and out of shape overnight and you definitely
won't become svelte and trim overnight either. There's also often times
weight GAIN at the beginning of a new exercise regime from water retention.
Give it 2 or 3 months. And if you are seriously wanting to lose some
weight, you'll need to eat less, and pay attention to WHAT you are eating.