PDA

View Full Version : Patches/Pills for WeightLoss - Any work AT ALL?

September 18th 06, 02:42 PM
OK. I'm new to this so please excuse my possiblr stupidity....

Are there any diet patches / diet pills etc that do anything at all? Or
are they ALL just a big con?

I know someone who swears by Hoodia. Any good?

Simon
September 18th 06, 03:26 PM
wrote:
> OK. I'm new to this so please excuse my possiblr stupidity....
>
> Are there any diet patches / diet pills etc that do anything at all? Or
> are they ALL just a big con?

Most are as effective at helping weight loss as sawdust, which at least
provides fiber.

THAT said, there's more than a few studies showing EC (ephedrine HCl and
caffeine) act as synergistic thermogenics to help burn more calories.

--
To put it another way. Imagine an orkplace where you were the only non
executive: Make them all CEO. Give them all at least one Masters degree

joanne
September 18th 06, 05:02 PM
wrote:
> I know someone who swears by Hoodia. Any good?

Some may help supress your appetite - so yeah eating less and exercsing
more always 'works'.

joanne

James Ahrens
September 18th 06, 05:38 PM
I've used L-carnitine and caffeine (a coffee 60min before) with long
distance training, to kick start the fat metabolism and prevent muscle
loss. Not too sure I could see an huge effect, but people say it does
work.

I think training and weightloss, is a kind of 80/20 activity, where a
few of the things you are doing, have the largest effect, and its easy
to lose sight of that and focus on perfection too much.

In general, I find it helps to look at what your limiting factor is, in
any situation. You're doing a lot of things right, so just keep doing
them, and evaluate every so often.
You're training 3 times a week, and eating the diet you are. You might
find that working out your lifestyle to add a session, or making a
small change to your diet, might be the next step that gets you the big
gains, and not a supplement.

When you get to 10% fat, 200kg squat, sub 5 minute mile etc, then it
might be time to start looking at very specific details.

James

wrote:
> OK. I'm new to this so please excuse my possiblr stupidity....
>
> Are there any diet patches / diet pills etc that do anything at all? Or
> are they ALL just a big con?
>
> I know someone who swears by Hoodia. Any good?

September 19th 06, 09:14 AM

> When you get to 10% fat, 200kg squat, sub 5 minute mile etc, then it
> might be time to start looking at very specific details.

So, next week then ? :-0

Will Brink
September 19th 06, 05:06 PM
In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> OK. I'm new to this so please excuse my possiblr stupidity....
>
> Are there any diet patches / diet pills etc that do anything at all? Or
> are they ALL just a big con?

A few work, and most don't. Super general questions will get super general

> I know someone who swears by Hoodia. Any good?

Data is lacking and most hoodia on the market is crap anyway.

Richard
September 20th 06, 01:41 AM
wrote:
> OK. I'm new to this so please excuse my possiblr stupidity....
>
> Are there any diet patches / diet pills etc that do anything at all? Or
> are they ALL just a big con?
>
> I know someone who swears by Hoodia. Any good?

Google this group on ECA stack.

Ephedra-caffeine-aspirin. Only clinically (per this group) studied
compound that actually "burned fat".

Will Brink
September 20th 06, 02:31 PM
In article >, Richard
> wrote:

> Ephedra-caffeine-aspirin. Only clinically (per this group) studied
> compound that actually "burned fat".

That's a bit of an over statement.