PDA

View Full Version : Lifting and Coffee consumption

Matt
September 18th 06, 05:42 PM
Hey all,

Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
& fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
diet/metabolism? I've been lifting for 10 years, but up to 6 months ago
regular coffee consumption was never an issue.. new desk job and it
starts a little too early for me ;)

Best,
Matt

September 18th 06, 06:38 PM
If you drink coffee and lift weights you had better go ahead and dial
911...your head will explode!

Randolf

Charles
September 18th 06, 10:27 PM
On 18 Sep 2006 10:38:38 -0700, wrote:

>If you drink coffee and lift weights you had better go ahead and dial
>911...your head will explode!

I tried to take your well-intentioned advice but my exploding head
made the 'phone unusable, covered as it was with the contents of my
defunct cranium.

Is there a more practical way of dealing with the problem?

TIA

Kettlebell Inc
September 19th 06, 12:34 AM
Matt wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
> & fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
> diet/metabolism? I've been lifting for 10 years, but up to 6 months ago
> regular coffee consumption was never an issue.. new desk job and it
> starts a little too early for me ;)
>
> Best,
> Matt

Hi Matt,

Good question. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day and would be
interested in the answer also. I would guess the caffeine acting as a
diuretic would have an affect, and I've read that the caffeine also
affects the absorption of vitamins and minerals into the body,
especially calcium.

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com

ATP*
September 19th 06, 12:52 AM
"Matt" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
> & fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
> diet/metabolism? I've been lifting for 10 years, but up to 6 months ago
> regular coffee consumption was never an issue.. new desk job and it
> starts a little too early for me ;)
>
> Best,
> Matt

Negative. You are not drinking enough.

Tom Anderson
September 19th 06, 02:46 AM
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Charles wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2006 10:38:38 -0700, wrote:
>
>> If you drink coffee and lift weights you had better go ahead and dial
>> 911...your head will explode!
>
> I tried to take your well-intentioned advice but my exploding head
> made the 'phone unusable, covered as it was with the contents of my
> defunct cranium.
>
> Is there a more practical way of dealing with the problem?

Wrap head in duct tape before lifting.

tom

--
I do not think we will have to wait for long.

Curt James
September 19th 06, 03:03 AM
Tom Anderson wrote:
> Charles wrote:
> > wrote:
> >
> >> If you drink coffee and lift weights you had better go ahead and dial
> >> 911...your head will explode!
> >
> > I tried to take your well-intentioned advice but my exploding head
> > made the 'phone unusable, covered as it was with the contents of my
> > defunct cranium.
> >
> > Is there a more practical way of dealing with the problem?
>
> Wrap head in duct tape before lifting.

Tom, Charles, Randolf... gentlemen, please. If you can't refrain from
such nonsensical outbursts might I request that you at least find
another outlet for these obvious attempts at "humor" which offer no
PubMedlike intellectual... uplifting. I believe the word I'm searching
for is somber. Misc.fitness.weights is a venue for all things serious,
somber, and, um, some other significant word that begins with the
letter s.

> tom

Hello, Tom. How's kicks?

> I do not think we will have to wait for long.

And how'd you guess?!

Scientific! Yes, serious, somber, and scienti... never miiiiind.

--
Curt

Charles
September 19th 06, 08:39 AM
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 02:46:38 +0100, Tom Anderson
> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Charles wrote:
>
>> On 18 Sep 2006 10:38:38 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>> If you drink coffee and lift weights you had better go ahead and dial
>>> 911...your head will explode!
>>
>> I tried to take your well-intentioned advice but my exploding head
>> made the 'phone unusable, covered as it was with the contents of my
>> defunct cranium.
>>
>> Is there a more practical way of dealing with the problem?
>
>Wrap head in duct tape before lifting.

Sound advice Tom; perhaps for those not using duct tape pre lifting, a
liberal supply of vinegar and brown paper should always be kept to
hand!

Charles
September 19th 06, 08:49 AM
On 18 Sep 2006 19:03:51 -0700, "Curt James" >
wrote:

>Tom Anderson wrote:
>> Charles wrote:

>> > I tried to take your well-intentioned advice but my exploding head
>> > made the 'phone unusable, covered as it was with the contents of my
>> > defunct cranium.
>> >
>> > Is there a more practical way of dealing with the problem?
>>
>> Wrap head in duct tape before lifting.
>
>Tom, Charles, Randolf... gentlemen, please. If you can't refrain from
>such nonsensical outbursts might I request that you at least find
>another outlet for these obvious attempts at "humor" which offer no
>PubMedlike intellectual... uplifting. I believe the word I'm searching
>for is somber. Misc.fitness.weights is a venue for all things serious,
>somber, and, um, some other significant word that begins with the
>letter s.

You are of course absolutely right to draw to our attention the
silliness of our collective responses.

In line with your request to act in a little more sombre and
responsible manner, I offer the following by way of more serious
content:

Blow it outta yer ass Curt baby; howja like them apples buddy boy? ;o)

HTH!

September 19th 06, 04:42 PM
Might as well smoke a cigarette. Coffee is the #1 Drug in America.
Almost everyone's addicted to it, and it's been linked to everything
from depression to cancer to fibromyalgia and other chronic
degenerative diseases. (See CAFFEINE BLUES by Stephen Cherniske for
more on the reality of Coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues-Hidden-Dangers-America/dp/0446673919/sr=8-1/qid=1158680457/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3524918-6620809?ie=UTF8&s=books

Kick the coffee habit. Deep breathing, a brisk walk, jumping jacks,
bridging, & other calisthenics exercises will release your body's
natural "wake up & let your light shine!" mechanism - & you'll feel
great.

Joel

Matt wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
> & fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
> diet/metabolism? I've been lifting for 10 years, but up to 6 months ago
> regular coffee consumption was never an issue.. new desk job and it
> starts a little too early for me ;)
>
> Best,
> Matt

Larry Hodges
September 19th 06, 05:28 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Might as well smoke a cigarette. Coffee is the #1 Drug in America.
> Almost everyone's addicted to it, and it's been linked to everything
> from depression to cancer to fibromyalgia and other chronic
> degenerative diseases. (See CAFFEINE BLUES by Stephen Cherniske for
> more on the reality of Coffee:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues-Hidden-Dangers-America/dp/0446673919/sr=8-1/qid=1158680457/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3524918-6620809?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> Kick the coffee habit. Deep breathing, a brisk walk, jumping jacks,
> bridging, & other calisthenics exercises will release your body's
> natural "wake up & let your light shine!" mechanism - & you'll feel
> great.
>
> Joel
>
> Matt wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
>> & fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
>> diet/metabolism? I've been lifting for 10 years, but up to 6 months ago
>> regular coffee consumption was never an issue.. new desk job and it
>> starts a little too early for me ;)
>>
>> Best,
>> Matt

Bull****. Coffee is benign at worst, good for you at best. Point out some
scientific studies to support your claim please.

-Larry

JMW
September 20th 06, 03:53 AM
wrote:

>Might as well smoke a cigarette. Coffee is the #1 Drug in America.
>Almost everyone's addicted to it, and it's been linked to everything
>from depression to cancer to fibromyalgia and other chronic
>degenerative diseases. (See CAFFEINE BLUES by Stephen Cherniske for
>more on the reality of Coffee:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues-Hidden-Dangers-America/dp/0446673919/sr=8-1/qid=1158680457/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3524918-6620809?ie=UTF8&s=books

Ah, yes, the co-author of "The Great Soup Diet" ...

>Kick the coffee habit. Deep breathing, a brisk walk, jumping jacks,
>bridging, & other calisthenics exercises will release your body's
>natural "wake up & let your light shine!" mechanism - & you'll feel
>great.

Would you like some tofu and sprouts with your healing crystals?

Curt James
September 20th 06, 04:44 AM
Charles wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote:
> >Tom Anderson wrote:

> >> Wrap head in duct tape before lifting.
> >
> >Tom, Charles, Randolf... gentlemen, please. If you can't refrain from
> >such nonsensical outbursts might I request that you at least find
> >another outlet for these obvious attempts at "humor" which offer no
> >PubMedlike intellectual... uplifting. I believe the word I'm searching
> >for is somber. Misc.fitness.weights is a venue for all things serious,
> >somber, and, um, some other significant word that begins with the
> >letter s.
>
> You are of course absolutely right to draw to our attention the
> silliness of our collective responses.
>
> In line with your request to act in a little more sombre and
> responsible manner, I offer the following by way of more serious
> content:
>
> Blow it outta yer ass Curt baby; howja like them apples buddy boy? ;o)

Certainly sombre and serious enough by my count.

> HTH!

Indeed.

But not as much as the fast-approaching Hump Day will help! Enjoy your
Wednesday, my friend. :o)

--
Curt

Charles
September 20th 06, 08:55 AM
On 19 Sep 2006 20:44:21 -0700, "Curt James" >
wrote:

>Charles wrote:

>> >Tom, Charles, Randolf... gentlemen, please. If you can't refrain from
>> >such nonsensical outbursts might I request that you at least find
>> >another outlet for these obvious attempts at "humor" which offer no
>> >PubMedlike intellectual... uplifting. I believe the word I'm searching
>> >for is somber. Misc.fitness.weights is a venue for all things serious,
>> >somber, and, um, some other significant word that begins with the
>> >letter s.
>>
>> You are of course absolutely right to draw to our attention the
>> silliness of our collective responses.
>>
>> In line with your request to act in a little more sombre and
>> responsible manner, I offer the following by way of more serious
>> content:
>>
>> Blow it outta yer ass Curt baby; howja like them apples buddy boy? ;o)
>
>Certainly sombre and serious enough by my count.
>
>> HTH!
>
>Indeed.
>
>But not as much as the fast-approaching Hump Day will help! Enjoy your
>Wednesday, my friend. :o)

Heh!

Tom Anderson
September 20th 06, 03:45 PM
On Tue, 18 Sep 2006, Curt James wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>> Charles wrote:

>>> I tried to take your well-intentioned advice but my exploding head
>>> made the 'phone unusable, covered as it was with the contents of my
>>> defunct cranium.
>>>
>>> Is there a more practical way of dealing with the problem?
>>
>> Wrap head in duct tape before lifting.
>
> Tom, Charles, Randolf... gentlemen, please. If you can't refrain from
> such nonsensical outbursts might I request that you at least find
> another outlet for these obvious attempts at "humor" which offer no
> PubMedlike intellectual... uplifting.

You want PubMed? YOU WANT PUBMED?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16803657

HOW ABOUT THAT?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=12361440

THAT ENOUGH PUBMED FOR YOU?

tom

--
[of Muholland Drive] Cancer is pretty ingenious too, but its best to
avoid. -- Tex

Curt James
September 21st 06, 01:32 AM
Tom Anderson wrote:
> Curt James wrote:

> > Tom, <snip> might I request that you at least find
> > another outlet for these obvious attempts at "humor"
> > which offer no PubMedlike intellectual... uplifting.
>
> You want PubMed? YOU WANT PUBMED?
[...]

Believe Nicholson might say I can't HANDLE PubMed!

> THAT ENOUGH PUBMED FOR YOU?

Otoh, some would probably say you can't get enough of PubMed.

--
Curt

Beach Runner
September 25th 06, 09:47 PM
wrote:
> Might as well smoke a cigarette. Coffee is the #1 Drug in America.
> Almost everyone's addicted to it, and it's been linked to everything
> from depression to cancer to fibromyalgia and other chronic
> degenerative diseases. (See CAFFEINE BLUES by Stephen Cherniske for
> more on the reality of Coffee:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Blues-Hidden-Dangers-America/dp/0446673919/sr=8-1/qid=1158680457/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3524918-6620809?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> Kick the coffee habit. Deep breathing, a brisk walk, jumping jacks,
> bridging, & other calisthenics exercises will release your body's
> natural "wake up & let your light shine!" mechanism - & you'll feel
> great.
>
> Joel
>
> Matt wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
> > & fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
> > diet/metabolism? I've been lifting for 10 years, but up to 6 months ago
> > regular coffee consumption was never an issue.. new desk job and it
> > starts a little too early for me ;)
> >
> > Best,
> > Matt

I actually read the book. It made some interesting points.
Coffee is very addicting and it is a drug, that there is no doubt. And
the researchers are coffee addicts.

That said, the book was not based on any controlled studies or solid
science.

In any case, I start my day with a few cups of coffee with a ton of soy
milk in it,
run to the club, and push weights. I did take a 2 year hiatus from a
car accident,
but I'm back. Just need places to **** along the route.

Far better is a coffee IV.

Lucas Buck
September 26th 06, 12:06 AM
On 18 Sep 2006 09:42:11 -0700, "Matt" > wrote:

>Hey all,
>
> Quick question - does consuming 1 cup of coffee per day (with splenda
>& fat free ceamer) have a positive or negative effect on
>diet/metabolism?

fat free "ceamer" (sic) will kill you.