PDA

View Full Version : Domain name sales...

Curt James
September 20th 06, 04:05 AM
Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
profit.

I didn't have an answer and so, surprise, surprise, I Googled. ;o)

With number 10 in mind, I'm calling this ON topic misc.fitness.weights:

Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006

Domain - Sold for

1. NewYork.info - $46,392
2. Vintners.com - $44,000
3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
4. Words.com - $35,000
5. Jibs.com - $22,472
6. DMN.com - $22,221
7. uShop.com - $20,300
8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

--
Curt

David Cohen
September 20th 06, 05:37 AM
"Curt James" > wrote
> Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
> Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
> question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
> profit.
>
> I didn't have an answer and so, surprise, surprise, I Googled. ;o)
>
> With number 10 in mind, I'm calling this ON topic misc.fitness.weights:
>

> Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006
>
> Domain - Sold for
>
> 1. NewYork.info - $46,392
> 2. Vintners.com - $44,000
> 3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
> 4. Words.com - $35,000
> 5. Jibs.com - $22,472
> 6. DMN.com - $22,221
> 7. uShop.com - $20,300
> 8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
> 10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
> http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.

David

JMW
September 20th 06, 07:40 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote:
>"Curt James" > wrote
>> Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
>> Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
>> question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
>> profit.
>>
>> I didn't have an answer and so, surprise, surprise, I Googled. ;o)
>>
>> With number 10 in mind, I'm calling this ON topic misc.fitness.weights:
>>

>> Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006
>>
>> Domain - Sold for
>>
>> 1. NewYork.info - $46,392
>> 2. Vintners.com - $44,000
>> 3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
>> 4. Words.com - $35,000
>> 5. Jibs.com - $22,472
>> 6. DMN.com - $22,221
>> 7. uShop.com - $20,300
>> 8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
>> 10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
>> http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
>
>Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.

Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.

No sale.

David Cohen
September 20th 06, 07:58 AM
"JMW" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>"Curt James" > wrote
>>> Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
>>> Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
>>> question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
>>> profit.
>>>
>>> I didn't have an answer and so, surprise, surprise, I Googled. ;o)
>>>
>>> With number 10 in mind, I'm calling this ON topic misc.fitness.weights:
>>>

>>> Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006
>>>
>>> Domain - Sold for
>>>
>>> 1. NewYork.info - $46,392
>>> 2. Vintners.com - $44,000
>>> 3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
>>> 4. Words.com - $35,000
>>> 5. Jibs.com - $22,472
>>> 6. DMN.com - $22,221
>>> 7. uShop.com - $20,300
>>> 8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
>>> 10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
>>> http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
>>
>>Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.
>
> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.

Indeed! If jibs.com is worth $22K, yours should fetch far more.

I'm keeping ohmygodthatwasincrediblesex.org for myself.

David

> No sale.

Steve Freides
September 20th 06, 01:53 PM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
> Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
> question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
> profit.

-snip-

Please start the subject of such messages with "OT:" next time.

Thanks.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 20th 06, 03:30 PM
In article et>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "Curt James" > wrote
> > Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
> > Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
> > question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
> > profit.
> >
> > I didn't have an answer and so, surprise, surprise, I Googled. ;o)
> >
> > With number 10 in mind, I'm calling this ON topic misc.fitness.weights:
> >

> > Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006
> >
> > Domain - Sold for
> >
> > 1. NewYork.info - $46,392
> > 2. Vintners.com - $44,000
> > 3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
> > 4. Words.com - $35,000
> > 5. Jibs.com - $22,472
> > 6. DMN.com - $22,221
> > 7. uShop.com - $20,300
> > 8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
> > 10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
> > http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
>
> Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.
>
> David

ROFL!!!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 20th 06, 03:30 PM
In article >,
JMW > wrote:

> "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >"Curt James" > wrote
> >> Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
> >> Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
> >> question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
> >> profit.
> >>
> >> I didn't have an answer and so, surprise, surprise, I Googled. ;o)
> >>
> >> With number 10 in mind, I'm calling this ON topic misc.fitness.weights:
> >>

> >> Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006
> >>
> >> Domain - Sold for
> >>
> >> 1. NewYork.info - $46,392
> >> 2. Vintners.com - $44,000
> >> 3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
> >> 4. Words.com - $35,000
> >> 5. Jibs.com - $22,472
> >> 6. DMN.com - $22,221
> >> 7. uShop.com - $20,300
> >> 8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
> >> 10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
> >> http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
> >
> >Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.
>
> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.
>
> No sale.

Did you make him a counter-offer? ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

JMW
September 20th 06, 07:03 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> JMW > wrote:
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>> >"Curt James" > wrote

>> >Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.
>>
>> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.
>>
>> No sale.
>
>Did you make him a counter-offer? ;-)

Nope.

[a] I like it.
[b] If someone wants it bad enough, they'll up the bid.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 20th 06, 09:15 PM
In article >,
JMW > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> > JMW > wrote:

> >> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.
> >>
> >> No sale.
> >
> >Did you make him a counter-offer? ;-)
>
> Nope.
>
> [a] I like it.
> [b] If someone wants it bad enough, they'll up the bid.

Precisely. ;-)

I'd not part with it for less than at least 1 years wages?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

JMW
September 21st 06, 12:07 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> JMW > wrote:
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

>> >Did you make him a counter-offer? ;-)
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> [a] I like it.
>> [b] If someone wants it bad enough, they'll up the bid.
>
>Precisely. ;-)
>
>I'd not part with it for less than at least 1 years wages?

Given what was posted above, I doubt I would be offered anywhere near
that.

Curt James
September 21st 06, 12:11 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote

> > Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
> > Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
> > question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
> > profit.
>
> -snip-
>
> Please start the subject of such messages with "OT:" next time.

I specified exactly why I did NOT label it "OT:".

Please pay attention next time.

> Thanks.

Don't mention it.

> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

-C-
http://www.curtjames.com/
And, yeah, hth, but I 'spect it didn't.

--

Steve Freides
September 21st 06, 12:18 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> "Curt James" wrote
>
>> > Over in the (semi) oft mentioned rec.arts.bodyart (well, by John
>> > Williams in the not so distant past) there was a not so serious
>> > question about whether people still try to sell domain names for a
>> > profit.
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>> Please start the subject of such messages with "OT:" next time.
>
> I specified exactly why I did NOT label it "OT:".

And I nicely tried to say that you were mistaken in your judgement.
When in doubt, please err on the side of caution and label it OT.

> Please pay attention next time.

I did.

>> Thanks.
>
> Don't mention it.

When the subject is not related to the lifting of weights, please start
it with "OT."

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>
> -C-
> http://www.curtjames.com/
> And, yeah, hth, but I 'spect it didn't.
>
> --

Curt James
September 21st 06, 12:32 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote
> > Steve Freides wrote:
> >> "Curt James" wrote

> >> -snip-
> >>
> >> Please start the subject of such messages with "OT:" next time.
> >
> > I specified exactly why I did NOT label it "OT:".
>
> And I nicely tried to say that you were mistaken in your judgement.

And I nicely tried to say that I'm not especially interested in your
opinion.

> When in doubt, please <snip>
>
> > Please pay attention next time.
>
> I did.

It's obvious that you haven't been paying attention at all.

> >> Thanks.
> >
> > Don't mention it.
>
> When the subject is not related to the lif

-snip-

Steve, please change the subject of such messages to "OT:" next time.

Thanks.

-C-
http://www.curtjames.com

> > And, yeah, hth, but I 'spect it didn't.

I called it, fwiw.

--
Curt

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 21st 06, 03:01 AM
In article >,
JMW > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> > JMW > wrote:

> >> Nope.
> >>
> >> [a] I like it.
> >> [b] If someone wants it bad enough, they'll up the bid.
> >
> >Precisely. ;-)
> >
> >I'd not part with it for less than at least 1 years wages?
>
> Given what was posted above, I doubt I would be offered anywhere near
> that.

:-)

Depends on how badly someone wants it.....

How does one go about registering and selling domain names anyway?
Guess I could Google for that info.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Steve Freides
September 21st 06, 03:11 AM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> JMW > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

>> >Precisely. ;-)
>> >
>> >I'd not part with it for less than at least 1 years wages?
>>
>> Given what was posted above, I doubt I would be offered anywhere near
>> that.
>
> :-)
>
> Depends on how badly someone wants it.....
>
> How does one go about registering and selling domain names anyway?
> Guess I could Google for that info.

There are a few places - try http://www.register.com - should be
everything you need.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Curt James
September 21st 06, 03:21 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote
[...]

> > How does one go about registering and selling
> > domain names anyway?
> > Guess I could Google for that info.
>
> There are a few places - try http://www.register.com
> - should be everythi

-snip-

Steve, please change the subject of such messages to "OT:" next time.

Thanks.

-C-
http://www.curtjames.com

--

Curt James
September 21st 06, 03:48 AM
Cohen wrote:
[...]

> Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.

Sadly, dogpoop.com is unavailable. As are dogpoop.net, dogpoop.org,
dogpoop.biz, dogpoop.info, and dogpoop.us.

I'd be willing to chip in for dogpoop.cc, of course.

> David

And it should come as no surprise that http://www.igrowweary.com/ is
also currently unavailable. :o/

Perhaps on Tuesday...

--
Curt

mike
September 21st 06, 05:44 AM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote
> [...]
>
> > > How does one go about registering and selling
> > > domain names anyway?
> > > Guess I could Google for that info.
> >
> > There are a few places - try http://www.register.com
> > - should be everythi
>
> -snip-
>
> Steve, please change the subject of such messages to "OT:" next time.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -C-
> http://www.curtjames.com
>
> --
PMSL....touche Curt! Well responded :)

Larry Hodges
September 21st 06, 08:36 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "JMW" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>>"Curt James" > wrote

>>>Let's all chip in and buy dogpoop.com for Pete.
>>
>> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.
>
> Indeed! If jibs.com is worth $22K, yours should fetch far more.
>
> I'm keeping ohmygodthatwasincrediblesex.org for myself.
>
> David

ohmygodthatwasincrediblesex.org/asm?

Even better!

-Larry

Larry Hodges
September 21st 06, 08:39 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Curt James" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>> "Curt James" wrote

>>> -snip-
>>>
>>> Please start the subject of such messages with "OT:" next time.
>>
>> I specified exactly why I did NOT label it "OT:".
>
> And I nicely tried to say that you were mistaken in your judgement. When
> in doubt, please err on the side of caution and label it OT.
>
>> Please pay attention next time.
>
> I did.
>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Don't mention it.
>
> When the subject is not related to the lifting of weights, please start it
> with "OT."

Well, dogs and guns are exempt from the OT requirement right?

-Larry

> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com
>

>>> -S-
>>> http://www.kbnj.com
>>
>> -C-
>> http://www.curtjames.com/
>> And, yeah, hth, but I 'spect it didn't.
>>
>> --

David Cohen
September 21st 06, 09:52 AM
Larry Hodges wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote

> >> I specified exactly why I did NOT label it "OT:".
> >
> > And I nicely tried to say that you were mistaken in your judgement. When
> > in doubt, please err on the side of caution and label it OT.
> >
> >> Please pay attention next time.
> >
> > I did.

> >> Don't mention it.
> >
> > When the subject is not related to the lifting of weights, please start it
> > with "OT."
>
> Well, dogs and guns are exempt from the OT requirement right?

That goes without saying.

Without saying.

David

Larry Hodges
September 21st 06, 04:05 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Larry Hodges wrote:
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>> > "Curt James" > wrote

>> > And I nicely tried to say that you were mistaken in your judgement.
>> > When
>> > in doubt, please err on the side of caution and label it OT.

>> > I did.

>> > When the subject is not related to the lifting of weights, please start
>> > it
>> > with "OT."
>>
>> Well, dogs and guns are exempt from the OT requirement right?
>
> That goes without saying.
>
> Without saying.
>
> David

These are Democrats here. I may have to say it.

-Larry

David Cohen
September 21st 06, 04:57 PM
"Larry Hodges" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> Larry Hodges wrote:
>>> "Steve Freides" > wrote

>>> Well, dogs and guns are exempt from the OT requirement right?
>>
>> That goes without saying.
>>
>> Without saying.
>
> These are Democrats here. I may have to say it.

Even Democrats can love guns and dogs.

Well, you know, theoretically.

David

Will Brink
September 21st 06, 06:40 PM
In article >, JMW
> wrote:

> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.

I just purchased a name from a guy who wanted 1k for it, but took the $250
I offered. First domain name I ever purchased from a private party, but I
needed it as it will be the name of my updated ebook on fat loss. I sold a
domian name once and got decent $$$$ for it. It was coachzone.com. Don't
know what they ever did with it.

Bully
September 21st 06, 06:59 PM

Look here: http://www.coachzone.com/ !!!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

JMW
September 21st 06, 07:59 PM
"Bully" > wrote:

>Will Brink wrote:
>> In article >, JMW
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Somebody offered me $1,000 for rustyiron.net.
>>
>> I just purchased a name from a guy who wanted 1k for it, but took the
>> $250 I offered. First domain name I ever purchased from a private
>> party, but I needed it as it will be the name of my updated ebook on
>> fat loss. I sold a domian name once and got decent $$$$ for it. It
>> was coachzone.com. Don't know what they ever did with it.
>
>Look here: http://www.coachzone.com/ !!!

I'd guess that's placeholder for a later sale, unless folks are paying
to have their links there.

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 21st 06, 09:30 PM
In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > JMW > wrote:

> >> Given what was posted above, I doubt I would be offered anywhere near
> >> that.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Depends on how badly someone wants it.....
> >
> > How does one go about registering and selling domain names anyway?
> > Guess I could Google for that info.
>
> There are a few places - try http://www.register.com - should be
> everything you need.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Danke!

It's just sheer curiosity on my part......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 21st 06, 09:31 PM
In article >,
"Larry Hodges" > wrote:

> Well, dogs and guns are exempt from the OT requirement right?
>
> -Larry

Or so we have been taught. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 21st 06, 09:32 PM
In article t>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> >> That goes without saying.
> >>
> >> Without saying.
> >
> > These are Democrats here. I may have to say it.
>
> Even Democrats can love guns and dogs.
>
> Well, you know, theoretically.
>
> David

Especially us Conservative Democrats. ;-)

Right/Left? <lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Larry Hodges
September 21st 06, 10:12 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Larry Hodges" > wrote

>>> That goes without saying.
>>>
>>> Without saying.
>>
>> These are Democrats here. I may have to say it.
>
> Even Democrats can love guns [to be beaten into plowshares to grow food
> and feel the world] and dogs [should be given their own rights, free of
> human oppression].
>
> Well, you know, [they believe in a world that is] theoretically
> [wonderful, but isn't reality].
>
> David

How's that?. I guess we could call that reading between the lines? :)

-Larry

Curt James
September 21st 06, 10:46 PM
mike wrote:
> "Curt James" wrote
> > Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

> > > There are a few pla<snip>

> > Steve, please change the subject of such messages
> > to "OT:" next time.
> >
> > Thanks.
[...]

> PMSL....touche Curt! Well responded :)

Mike, Mike, Mike...

Stop! You'll only encourage me.

(But, yeah, I thought he'd enjoy some of his own "nice" advice. ;o))

--
Curt

David Cohen
September 22nd 06, 12:35 AM
"Larry Hodges" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
>> "Larry Hodges" > wrote
>>> "David Cohen" > wrote

>>> These are Democrats here. I may have to say it.
>>
>> Even Democrats can love guns [to be beaten into plowshares to grow food
>> and feel the world] and dogs [should be given their own rights, free of
>> human oppression].
>>
>> Well, you know, [they believe in a world that is] theoretically
>> [wonderful, but isn't reality].
>
> How's that?. I guess we could call that reading between the lines? :)

Woah! Telepathy!! I can actually read your thoughts!!!

David

Charles
September 22nd 06, 08:31 AM
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:35:28 GMT, "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>"Larry Hodges" > wrote
[...]

>>> Even Democrats can love guns [to be beaten into plowshares to grow food
>>> and feel the world] and dogs [should be given their own rights, free of
>>> human oppression].
>>>
>>> Well, you know, [they believe in a world that is] theoretically
>>> [wonderful, but isn't reality].
>>
>> How's that?. I guess we could call that reading between the lines? :)
>
>Woah!

What dat?

Have a great weekend - you know I will! ;o)

TFIF!

Curt James
September 24th 06, 04:29 PM
Shute wrote:
[...]

re

> >Reported Domain Sales - Mon. Sept. 11, 2006 - Sun. Sept. 17, 2006
> >
> >Domain - Sold for
> >
> >1. NewYork.info - $46,392
> >2. Vintners.com - $44,000
> >3. VacationRooms.com - $40,000
> >4. Words.com - $35,000
> >5. Jibs.com - $22,472
> >6. DMN.com - $22,221
> >7. uShop.com - $20,300
> >8. tie between AllBran.com and Garage.net - $18,000
> >10. AmericanMuscle.com - $15,000... from
> >http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm
>
> Although the above sales may have occurred I don't think squatting is
> allowed any more. For instance when Exxon and Mobile merged someone
> went out and bought every version of those names they could think of.
> That ****ed of the corporations since they where too busy thinking
> about how to charge us $3/gallon for gas.

Have gas prices dropped in your neck of the woods? They have here.

http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm

Interesting how that works, don't you agree?

> Now you have to be using the name for some legit purpose to be able to sell it.
> The most popular names are the lower lettered ones. A company like Barnes and
> Nobles gets all tingly knowing they also own bn.com.

I'll bet that's true.

Speaking of lower lettered or related at least, I sometimes play what I
call URL roulette. Just type in any random string of letters and see
what happens. Example: http://xyz.com/

Perhaps that's not random enough. http://flm.com/ spit out a fine arts
website. Darn. I was hoping for a... pop fitness website.

Works with names, of course, too.

(Okay, I'm easily amused.)

--
Curt