PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 eggs, does it matter?


Jason Earl
September 21st 06, 07:16 PM
My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
thing.

However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
So does it matter?

Jason

Bully
September 21st 06, 07:30 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> thing.
>
> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> So does it matter?
>
> Jason

In response to the subject, I would say NO: www.eggs.ca/pdf/omega-3_e.pdf

--
Bully
Protein bars: http://www.proteinbars.co.uk

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pez D Spencer
September 21st 06, 09:19 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> thing.
>
> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> So does it matter?
>
> Jason

i dunno. how much do you want to get into an argument with her?

the thing that i've learned from dealing with chicks is that the only
right action you can do when faced with a gift and her trying to show
some understanding for your crazy bodybuilding lifestyle is to just
smile and nod and accept the gift graciously.

as for the science of it, who cares?

Pete
September 21st 06, 09:27 PM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> she supports my new lifestyle changes.

Keep her.
My girlfriend, for 11 years, is not bothered by the fact that i have
certain "habits."

As long as she gets her Iomamin ;-O

This is a typical question for John or Will...

----
Pete

Will Brink
September 21st 06, 09:30 PM
In article >, Jason Earl
> wrote:

> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> thing.
>
> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> So does it matter?

It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so it's a
plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like fish.

>
> Jason

mike
September 21st 06, 11:22 PM
"Pete" > wrote in message
...
> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
> > My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> > for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> > she supports my new lifestyle changes.
>
> Keep her.
> My girlfriend, for 11 years, is not bothered by the fact that i have
> certain "habits."
>
> As long as she gets her Iomamin ;-O
>
> This is a typical question for John or Will...
>
> ----
> Pete

Hey Pete, what habits mate? lol
>

Will Brink
September 22nd 06, 12:00 AM
In article >, DZ
> wrote:

> Will Brink > wrote:
> > Jason Earl > wrote:
> >> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> >> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> >> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> >> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> >> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> >> thing.
> >>
> >> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> >> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> >> So does it matter?
> >
> > It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so
> > it's a plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like
> > fish.
>
> I think that would be so if chicken are fed fish products, which is
> freaky in a way - why not just eat fish rather than put the fish
> through a chicken first?.

Ever tried them? What's freaky is they have a fish oil after taste.

> But it looks like the "omega-3 eggs" are
> also being produced by feeding the chicken flax seeds and the
> like. But that tends to lower the long chain content of the eggs
> (PMID: 10685889). So, then we're back to the issue that plant omega-3
> are only precursors to human EFAs and that men have insufficient rates
> of conversion.

The eggs state their EPA/DHA content normally and it's decent. I don't now
what the conversion rate of chickens LNA -> EPA/DHA is, but it appears to
be enough to give a clear fish taste to the eggs they put out!

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 12:15 AM
"Pete" > writes:

> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
>> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
>> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
>> she supports my new lifestyle changes.
>
> Keep her. My girlfriend, for 11 years, is not bothered by the fact
> that i have certain "habits."

She's a keeper all right. I married above myself.

> As long as she gets her Iomamin ;-O

I am not sure what that is, but I am happy for her...

> This is a typical question for John or Will...

I thought the rest of you might be interested. Next time I will
preface the question with Nutrition: or something.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 12:20 AM
DZ > writes:

> Will Brink > wrote:
>> Jason Earl > wrote:
>>> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
>>> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
>>> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
>>> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
>>> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
>>> thing.
>>>
>>> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
>>> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
>>> So does it matter?
>>
>> It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so
>> it's a plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like
>> fish.
>
> I think that would be so if chicken are fed fish products, which is
> freaky in a way - why not just eat fish rather than put the fish
> through a chicken first?. But it looks like the "omega-3 eggs" are
> also being produced by feeding the chicken flax seeds and the
> like. But that tends to lower the long chain content of the eggs
> (PMID: 10685889). So, then we're back to the issue that plant
> omega-3 are only precursors to human EFAs and that men have
> insufficient rates of conversion.

The eggs she got me were fed flax seed. Or at least that's what I
gather. The box clearly says that the chickens were fed a vegetarian
diet. I am assuming that means that the chickens were fed with plants
and not that they were fed with vegetarians :).

So probably mostly a gimmick and not at all a replacement for fish
and/or fish oil (both of which I eat regularly).

I'll have to see what the eggs cost compared to "normal" eggs, but
chances are good that they probably aren't worth it.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 12:22 AM
(Will Brink) writes:

> In article >, Jason Earl
> > wrote:
>
>> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special
>> foods for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of
>> showing that she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the
>> changes just made my food more expensive than what everyone else
>> was eating, and since I already eat more than everyone else
>> combined that's hardly a good thing.
>>
>> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
>> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I
>> believe. So does it matter?
>
> It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so
> it's a plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like
> fish.

LOL. I had mine with a bit of sausage mixed in. They tasted fine
that way. Either way, I sort of like the taste of fish.

Thanks for the update.

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 12:25 AM
(Will Brink) writes:

> In article >, DZ
> > wrote:
>
>> Will Brink > wrote:
>> > Jason Earl > wrote:
>> >> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
>> >> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
>> >> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
>> >> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
>> >> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
>> >> thing.
>> >>
>> >> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
>> >> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
>> >> So does it matter?
>> >
>> > It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so
>> > it's a plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like
>> > fish.
>>
>> I think that would be so if chicken are fed fish products, which is
>> freaky in a way - why not just eat fish rather than put the fish
>> through a chicken first?.
>
> Ever tried them? What's freaky is they have a fish oil after taste.
>
>> But it looks like the "omega-3 eggs" are also being produced by
>> feeding the chicken flax seeds and the like. But that tends to
>> lower the long chain content of the eggs (PMID: 10685889). So, then
>> we're back to the issue that plant omega-3 are only precursors to
>> human EFAs and that men have insufficient rates of conversion.
>
> The eggs state their EPA/DHA content normally and it's decent. I
> don't now what the conversion rate of chickens LNA -> EPA/DHA is,
> but it appears to be enough to give a clear fish taste to the eggs
> they put out!

I'll have to try the eggs over easy and see what I think. Either way
it's not like fish oil capsules are expensive. If the goal is to get
some more Omega 3 fatty acids I could solve it on a continual basis
simply by popping more capsules.

Thanks for the update.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 12:44 AM
DZ > writes:

> Will Brink > wrote:
> Are you sure these chicken weren't fed fish-containing food? I'm
> wondering because just recently I've read an article on genetically
> modified flax. These plants were inserted with a few genes from fish
> to produce DHA and EPA. Now, the article (in Science) claimed that
> there is no fish smell to come along, despite the high long chain FA
> content in the transgenic seeds.

Fish oil should be squished out of fish...

> Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing and buying that nasty GM flax
> seeds in "organic food" stores like Whole Foods.

Got to love the sort of place that has customers that eat flax and
wear hemp.

Will Brink
September 22nd 06, 01:07 AM
In article >, DZ
> wrote:

>
> Are you sure these chicken weren't fed fish-containing food?

As far as I know they feed them flax seeds and the chickens do the work.
Makes sense. Any animla that can convert LNA to EPA/DHA should see higher
tissue levels of these lipids if fed LNA. Perhaps chickins are efficient
converters and have high levels of delta 6 desaturase or or something. I
don't know much about chickens to comment!

alpha-Linolenic acid- and docosahexaenoic acid-enriched eggs from hens fed
flaxseed: influence on blood lipids and platelet phospholipid fatty acids
in humans

LK Ferrier, LJ Caston, S Leeson, J Squires, BJ Weaver and BJ Holub
Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

This study was undertaken to examine the effects that consumption of eggs
from hens fed diets containing flaxseed would have on plasma and platelet
lipids of male volunteers. Feeding diets containing 0%, 10%, and 20%
ground flaxseed to Leghorn pullets provided a marked progressive increase
in n-3 fatty acid content as alpha-linolenic acid (alpha-LNA) (28, 261,
and 527 mg/egg) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (51, 81, and 87 mg/egg) but
no alteration in the cholesterol concentration of the egg yolk.
Twenty-eight male volunteers, divided into three groups, were fed four
eggs per day for 2 wk according to a cyclic Latin-square design. No
statistically significant changes were observed in total cholesterol,
high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol, or plasma triglyceride
concentrations. Significant increases in total n-3 fatty acids and in DHA
content (which rose from 1.5 to 2.0% by wt or 33% overall), and a
significant decrease in ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids were found in
platelet phospholipids of subjects consuming eggs from flaxseed-fed hens.
Health and Welfare Canada in 1990 set recommended intakes for dietary n-3
fatty acids and for the ratio of n- 6 to n-3 fatty acids, which are not
being met currently by the overall population. Eggs modified by the
inclusion of flaxseed in the laying hens' diet could provide an important
nutritional source of n-3 fatty acid.

Simon
September 22nd 06, 02:36 AM
> Fish oil should be squished out of fish...

Where does baby oil come from then?!??!!!


--
To put it another way. Imagine an orkplace where you were the only non
executive: Make them all CEO. Give them all at least one Masters degree
and/or a PhD, and the ego trip that comes with that. Now double it.
That's education. --GB, asr

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 04:27 AM
DZ > writes:

> Jason Earl > wrote:

>> I'll have to try the eggs over easy and see what I think.
>
> If it tastes "fishy", try to mix the eggs with flour and make small
> patties in the shape of a fish. That way it would appear more
> palatable as you eat them.

I'm not much of a chef. Anything beyond frying the eggs up is likely
to be beyond my skill level.

> I learned that trick from a Chinese who taught me how to make cicada
> dumplings. You take the actual (de-winged) cicadas, but if you
> simply put them into a regularly shaped dumplings, then the
> expectation of a meat taste makes it close to impossible to eat. So,
> instead you make the dumplings in the shape of an actual cicada,
> which paradoxically makes you want to EAT 'EM!!!

I've eaten Peruvian food. Fishy eggs shouldn't pose a problem.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 04:29 AM
(Will Brink) writes:

> In article >, DZ
> > wrote:
>
>>
>> Are you sure these chicken weren't fed fish-containing food?
>
> As far as I know they feed them flax seeds and the chickens do the
> work. Makes sense. Any animla that can convert LNA to EPA/DHA
> should see higher tissue levels of these lipids if fed LNA. Perhaps
> chickins are efficient converters and have high levels of delta 6
> desaturase or or something. I don't know much about chickens to
> comment!

I know chickens are delicious. Does that help?

We used to raise them when I was growing up. They are the perfect
animal for children to raise because by the time you've had a chicken
for a year or two you can't wait to ring its neck. You never have to
worry about becoming attached. Chickens are the dumbest animal ever.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 04:30 AM
Simon > writes:

>> Fish oil should be squished out of fish...
>
> Where does baby oil come from then?!??!!!

I don't know, but whatever baby oil comes from must smell pretty
good. I love that smell.

Jason

Robert Schuh
September 22nd 06, 09:38 AM
Jason Earl wrote:

> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> thing.
>
> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> So does it matter?
>
> Jason

I have found that those eggs just tend to taste better than regular eggs.
They are a bit better for you, but it certainly is not a good source for
your essential fatty acids.


--
Robert Schuh
"Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Robert Schuh
September 22nd 06, 09:40 AM
Will Brink wrote:

> In article >, Jason Earl
> > wrote:
>
> > My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> > for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> > she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> > my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> > already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> > thing.
> >
> > However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> > taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> > So does it matter?
>
> It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so it's a
> plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like fish.
>
> >
> > Jason

Will,
I will have to look at the store again, but the ones that I buy taste much
better than plain eggs and nothing like fish. I will get the name and let you
know.


--
Robert Schuh
"Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Robert Schuh
September 22nd 06, 09:41 AM
Jason Earl wrote:

> (Will Brink) writes:
>
> > In article >, DZ
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Will Brink > wrote:
> >> > Jason Earl > wrote:
> >> >> My wife, the sweetheart, has recently started purchasing special foods
> >> >> for me that she believes are "healthy." It's her way of showing that
> >> >> she supports my new lifestyle changes. Many of the changes just made
> >> >> my food more expensive than what everyone else was eating, and since I
> >> >> already eat more than everyone else combined that's hardly a good
> >> >> thing.
> >> >>
> >> >> However, recently she brought home some Omega 3 eggs. These eggs
> >> >> taste fine, and they were relatively inexpensive $2 for 18 I believe.
> >> >> So does it matter?
> >> >
> >> > It's an easy way to get some additional n-3 lipids in your diet, so
> >> > it's a plus. Personally, I dont like how they taste, which is like
> >> > fish.
> >>
> >> I think that would be so if chicken are fed fish products, which is
> >> freaky in a way - why not just eat fish rather than put the fish
> >> through a chicken first?.
> >
> > Ever tried them? What's freaky is they have a fish oil after taste.
> >
> >> But it looks like the "omega-3 eggs" are also being produced by
> >> feeding the chicken flax seeds and the like. But that tends to
> >> lower the long chain content of the eggs (PMID: 10685889). So, then
> >> we're back to the issue that plant omega-3 are only precursors to
> >> human EFAs and that men have insufficient rates of conversion.
> >
> > The eggs state their EPA/DHA content normally and it's decent. I
> > don't now what the conversion rate of chickens LNA -> EPA/DHA is,
> > but it appears to be enough to give a clear fish taste to the eggs
> > they put out!
>
> I'll have to try the eggs over easy and see what I think. Either way
> it's not like fish oil capsules are expensive. If the goal is to get
> some more Omega 3 fatty acids I could solve it on a continual basis
> simply by popping more capsules.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Jason

I can't stand taking those because when you burp after taking some, the fish
taste is NASTY! :-) I still like Udo's Choice. I just drink it straight from
the bottle.


--
Robert Schuh
"Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Pete
September 22nd 06, 12:43 PM
"Simon" > schreef:

> Where does baby oil come from then?!??!!!

They squeeze it out of babys.

----
Pete

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 02:00 PM
Robert Schuh > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>> I'll have to try the eggs over easy and see what I think. Either
>> way it's not like fish oil capsules are expensive. If the goal is
>> to get some more Omega 3 fatty acids I could solve it on a
>> continual basis simply by popping more capsules.
>>
>> Thanks for the update.
>>
>> Jason
>
> I can't stand taking those because when you burp after taking some,
> the fish taste is NASTY! :-) I still like Udo's Choice. I just drink
> it straight from the bottle.

If I take the capsules with a meal I don't get fish burps. Not that I
care much. I like the taste of fish :).

Heck, even if I didn't like the taste of fish I like how I feel when I
take fish oil capsules, and price-wise they are a good value. Even if
you don't believe the research DZ cites on flax seed oil its hard to
argue with the value of inexpensive fish oil capsules.

Jason

Will Brink
September 22nd 06, 02:27 PM
In article >, DZ
> wrote:

> Will Brink > wrote:
> > DZ wrote:
> >> Are you sure these chicken weren't fed fish-containing food?
> >
> > As far as I know they feed them flax seeds and the chickens do the work.
> > Makes sense. Any animla that can convert LNA to EPA/DHA should see higher
> > tissue levels of these lipids if fed LNA. Perhaps chickins are efficient
> > converters and have high levels of delta 6 desaturase or or something. I
> > don't know much about chickens to comment!
>
> What I was saying is that DHA+EPA do not have the fish oil smell and
> taste.

I knew that, and yet, they do have a fishy taste, at least to me.

>But perhaps chicken fed flax seeds turn into a partial
> fish. We'll have to wait until Jason's tasting experiment is finished.



>
> That's not a lot of change in DHA though... Also, 87 is much less than
> in a single fish oil capsule.

Agreed, thus my advice it was a good way to get addtional n-3 oils vs
replacinng n3 sources such as fish and supps.

>
> DZ

Jason Earl
September 22nd 06, 05:38 PM
(Will Brink) writes:

> In article >, DZ
> > wrote:
>
>> Will Brink > wrote:
>> > DZ wrote:
>> >> Are you sure these chicken weren't fed fish-containing food?
>> >
>> > As far as I know they feed them flax seeds and the chickens do the work.
>> > Makes sense. Any animla that can convert LNA to EPA/DHA should see higher
>> > tissue levels of these lipids if fed LNA. Perhaps chickins are efficient
>> > converters and have high levels of delta 6 desaturase or or something. I
>> > don't know much about chickens to comment!
>>
>> What I was saying is that DHA+EPA do not have the fish oil smell and
>> taste.
>
> I knew that, and yet, they do have a fishy taste, at least to me.
>
>>But perhaps chicken fed flax seeds turn into a partial
>> fish. We'll have to wait until Jason's tasting experiment is finished.
>
>> That's not a lot of change in DHA though... Also, 87 is much less than
>> in a single fish oil capsule.
>
> Agreed, thus my advice it was a good way to get addtional n-3 oils vs
> replacinng n3 sources such as fish and supps.

OK, I tried the eggs over easy. They tasted just like normal eggs to
me. The ones I have are definitely the flaxseed feed ones. I like
them.

Jason