PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Advice

d A i N B r A m A g E d
September 22nd 06, 11:38 AM
Hi,
i am a 13 year old endorsed in sports. I had posted before regarding a
strength program, and I got lots +ve posts. I have developed my
strength, but some parts like my abs are still not visible under a
layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat? I heard
aerobic exercises jogging, walking, and so on are good for reducing
fat. But I also heard that you have jog for atleast half an hour since
the first ten minute intake will be from glycogen and only then from
body fat. But you know its difficult to fit jogging into my schedule.
But will it be fine if I replace aerobic exercises with an hour of
soccer? Even my chest has a lot of fat, how do I remove that fat?

I play high-level cricket, so could someone give me some cricket
specific excercise tips? Can someone also brief me about Interval
Training
Shaaz

David
September 22nd 06, 12:26 PM
"d A i N B r A m A g E d" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
> i am a 13 year old endorsed in sports. I had posted before regarding a
> strength program, and I got lots +ve posts. I have developed my
> strength, but some parts like my abs are still not visible under a
> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat? I heard
> aerobic exercises jogging, walking, and so on are good for reducing
> fat. But I also heard that you have jog for atleast half an hour since
> the first ten minute intake will be from glycogen and only then from
> body fat. But you know its difficult to fit jogging into my schedule.
> But will it be fine if I replace aerobic exercises with an hour of
> soccer? Even my chest has a lot of fat, how do I remove that fat?
>
> I play high-level cricket, so could someone give me some cricket
> specific excercise tips? Can someone also brief me about Interval
> Training
> Shaaz

Shaaz, I am not an expert by any means - however, it seems to me that
perhaps you might be eating too many twinkies. What do you think?

Pete
September 22nd 06, 12:52 PM
"d A i N B r A m A g E d" > schreef:

> i am a 13 year old endorsed in sports. I had posted before regarding a
> strength program, and I got lots +ve posts. I have developed my
> strength, but some parts like my abs are still not visible under a
> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat?

Lyposuction.

Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O

----
Pete

David
September 22nd 06, 12:54 PM
"Pete" > wrote in message
> "d A i N B r A m A g E d" > schreef:
>
>> i am a 13 year old endorsed in sports. I had posted before regarding a
>> strength program, and I got lots +ve posts. I have developed my
>> strength, but some parts like my abs are still not visible under a
>> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat?
>
> Lyposuction.
>
> Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O

I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
idiocy behind a long time ago!

> ----
> Pete

Charles
September 22nd 06, 02:13 PM
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:54:53 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>"Pete" > wrote in message
>> "d A i N B r A m A g E d" > schreef:
>>
>>> i am a 13 year old endorsed in sports. I had posted before regarding a
>>> strength program, and I got lots +ve posts. I have developed my
>>> strength, but some parts like my abs are still not visible under a
>>> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat?
>>
>> Lyposuction.
>>
>> Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O
>

> I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
> and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
> idiocy behind a long time ago!

Quite so - and well done for drawing it to his attention Oz! ;o)

HAGW

TFIF!

Pete
September 22nd 06, 03:14 PM
"David" > schreef:

>> Lyposuction.

>> Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O

> I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
> and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
> idiocy behind a long time ago!

Its Betsys fault!

I am on heavy medication ever since she posted about her **** eating dog.
I am not myself anymore ;-O

---
Pete

David
September 22nd 06, 03:33 PM

No ****? ****in' Betsy - how invited her here anyway?

> ---
> Pete

David
September 22nd 06, 03:36 PM
"Charles" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:54:53 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:

>>> Lyposuction.
>>>
>>> Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O
>>

>> I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
>> and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
>> idiocy behind a long time ago!
>>

> Quite so - and well done for drawing it to his attention Oz! ;o)

Yes we have to keep an eye on Pete - (seems it's Betsy's fault)

> HAGW
>
> TFIF!

Charles
September 22nd 06, 04:01 PM
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:14:26 +0200, "Pete" >
wrote:

>"David" > schreef:
>
>>> Lyposuction.
>
>>> Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O
>
>> I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
>> and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
>> idiocy behind a long time ago!
>
>Its Betsys fault!
>
>I am on heavy medication ever since she posted about her **** eating dog.
>I am not myself anymore ;-O

I think you are probably pooped Pete! ;o)

HAGW!

TFIF!

Charles
September 22nd 06, 04:09 PM
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:33:18 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>>> I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
>>> and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
>>> idiocy behind a long time ago!
>>
>> Its Betsys fault!
>>
>> I am on heavy medication ever since she posted about her **** eating dog.
>> I am not myself anymore ;-O
>
>No ****? ****in' Betsy - how invited her here anyway?

I think Betsy has rather put her foot in it, and got squishy toe
syndrome!

HAGW!

TFIF!

Charles
September 22nd 06, 04:14 PM
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:36:09 +1000, "David" >
wrote:

>"Charles" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:54:53 +1000, "David" >
>> wrote:

>>> I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
>>> and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
>>> idiocy behind a long time ago!
>>>

>> Quite so - and well done for drawing it to his attention Oz! ;o)
>
>Yes we have to keep an eye on Pete - (seems it's Betsy's fault)

If Pete's conduct has been as the result of Betsy's revolting
behaviour, we will have to protect him from any more of her **** - and
her **** eating ****ing dog!

(Sorry to be so crude, but I just wanted Betsy to feel at home, and to
let Pete know in his own language that we are on the case.)

HAGW!

TFIF!

David
September 22nd 06, 08:21 PM
"Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:33:18 +1000, "David" >
> wrote:

>>> Its Betsys fault!
>>>
>>> I am on heavy medication ever since she posted about her **** eating
>>> dog.
>>> I am not myself anymore ;-O
>>
>>No ****? ****in' Betsy - how invited her here anyway?
>>

> I think Betsy has rather put her foot in it, and got squishy toe
> syndrome!

Yes . . . for Pete's sake!

> HAGW!
>
> TFIF!

mike
September 22nd 06, 09:41 PM
"Pete" > wrote in message
> "David" > schreef:
>
> >> Lyposuction.
>
> >> Just kidding man... boy, i mean ;-O
>
> > I thought you were one of the good guys Pete; that is a crass response
> > and does you no credit. I thought the Group had left that sort of
> > idiocy behind a long time ago!
>
> Its Betsys fault!
>
> I am on heavy medication ever since she posted about her **** eating dog.
> I am not myself anymore ;-O
>
> ---
> Pete

Hey Pete, not feeling yourself any more since the Betsy incident? Good, then
feel some one else :)

Mark Demarest
September 22nd 06, 11:58 PM
Hi, All-
Seems like a pretty close-knit group here.
My first post here, but I thought I could
offer Shaaz a couple of ideas...

d A i N B r A m A g E d wrote:
> my abs are still not visible under a
> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat?

David brings up a good point with nutrition. The garbage is cheap and
convenient. But you've gotta try to keep it clean.

> I heard aerobic exercises jogging, walking, and so on are good for reducing fat.

I read an interview with a bunch of fitness models (females, but the
facts remain the same),
and they were all asked what they did for their great stomachs. Not ONE
of them said they got it by doing sit-ups. They all cited running as
the #1 way to ripped abs. Not even so much because of the cardio
effects it has, but because running actually uses all your ab muscles,
too. When you pump your legs and arms it twists the torso, hitting the
obliques and love handles as well.

So soccer - as long as you're not just standing around - is a GREAT
answer. If you're not already, try a new position. One that involves
more up-and-down-the-field mobility.

> But I also heard that you have jog for atleast half an hour since
> the first ten minute intake will be from glycogen and only then from
> body fat.

Yes and no. You're thirteen, and an athlete, so it's a bit different
for you. It's true, there's this invisible 20 minute "threshold" where
your body burns through its sugar stores as energy. We store it as
adenisinetriphosphate (ADP), which is like adrenaline. Once that
reserve is gone, your body starts to burn stored fat as fuel. (One
reason why it's good to do cardio in the morning if you're trying to
lose weight.)

> But you know its difficult to fit jogging into my schedule.

Already, huh? Well that problem never really gets easier. So...I'd
recommend jumping rope. The rope is 3 times the amount of cardio
running is! That's huge to know! 15 minutes of rope is 45 minutes of
running. The truth is, you can probably only do a minute or two,
straight, in the beginning. But take 30 second or minute breaks in
between and hit it again.

> Even my chest has a lot of fat, how do I remove that fat?

same as above.

> I play high-level cricket, so could someone give me some cricket
> specific excercise tips?

The rope is also great for your calves and will make a difference in
your on-the-field lateral reactions.

hope that helps!
- Mark

d A i N B r A m A g E d
September 23rd 06, 07:27 AM
Thanks a lot guys!
Grateful!

JMW
September 23rd 06, 07:57 AM
"Mark Demarest" > wrote:

>Hi, All-
>Seems like a pretty close-knit group here.
>My first post here, but I thought I could
>offer Shaaz a couple of ideas...
>
>d A i N B r A m A g E d wrote:
>> my abs are still not visible under a
>> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat?
>
>David brings up a good point with nutrition. The garbage is cheap and
>convenient. But you've gotta try to keep it clean.
>
>> I heard aerobic exercises jogging, walking, and so on are good for reducing fat.
>
>I read an interview with a bunch of fitness models (females, but the
>facts remain the same),
>and they were all asked what they did for their great stomachs. Not ONE
>of them said they got it by doing sit-ups. They all cited running as
>the #1 way to ripped abs. Not even so much because of the cardio
>effects it has, but because running actually uses all your ab muscles,
>too. When you pump your legs and arms it twists the torso, hitting the
>obliques and love handles as well.

That has very little to do with development of abdominal muscles. It
has to do with fat reduction, which is *really* how you get prominent
abs.

>So soccer - as long as you're not just standing around - is a GREAT
>answer. If you're not already, try a new position. One that involves
>more up-and-down-the-field mobility.
>
>> But I also heard that you have jog for atleast half an hour since
>> the first ten minute intake will be from glycogen and only then from
>> body fat.
>
>Yes and no. You're thirteen, and an athlete, so it's a bit different
>for you. It's true, there's this invisible 20 minute "threshold" where
>your body burns through its sugar stores as energy. We store it as
>adenisinetriphosphate (ADP), which is like adrenaline.

Adenosine triphosphate is ATP; Adenosine diphosphate is ADP

This is ATP:
http://www.acdlabs.com/products/chem_dsn_lab/chemsketch/3d/images/image12.gif

This is epinephrine (adrenalin):
http://www.medicalcomputing.net/images/epinephrine.png

Please explain how they are similar.

David Cohen
September 23rd 06, 09:05 AM
"JMW" > wrote
> "Mark Demarest" > wrote:
>
>>Hi, All-
>>Seems like a pretty close-knit group here.
>>My first post here, but I thought I could
>>offer Shaaz a couple of ideas...
>>
>>d A i N B r A m A g E d wrote:
>>> my abs are still not visible under a
>>> layer of fat. Now, how do I remove that extra layer of fat?
>>
>>David brings up a good point with nutrition. The garbage is cheap and
>>convenient. But you've gotta try to keep it clean.
>>
>>> I heard aerobic exercises jogging, walking, and so on are good for
>>> reducing fat.
>>
>>I read an interview with a bunch of fitness models (females, but the
>>facts remain the same),
>>and they were all asked what they did for their great stomachs. Not ONE
>>of them said they got it by doing sit-ups. They all cited running as
>>the #1 way to ripped abs. Not even so much because of the cardio
>>effects it has, but because running actually uses all your ab muscles,
>>too. When you pump your legs and arms it twists the torso, hitting the
>>obliques and love handles as well.
>
> That has very little to do with development of abdominal muscles. It
> has to do with fat reduction, which is *really* how you get prominent
> abs.
>
>>So soccer - as long as you're not just standing around - is a GREAT
>>answer. If you're not already, try a new position. One that involves
>>more up-and-down-the-field mobility.
>>
>>> But I also heard that you have jog for atleast half an hour since
>>> the first ten minute intake will be from glycogen and only then from
>>> body fat.
>>
>>Yes and no. You're thirteen, and an athlete, so it's a bit different
>>for you. It's true, there's this invisible 20 minute "threshold" where
>>your body burns through its sugar stores as energy. We store it as
>>adenisinetriphosphate (ADP), which is like adrenaline.
>
> Adenosine triphosphate is ATP; Adenosine diphosphate is ADP
>
> This is ATP:
> http://www.acdlabs.com/products/chem_dsn_lab/chemsketch/3d/images/image12.gif
>
> This is epinephrine (adrenalin):
> http://www.medicalcomputing.net/images/epinephrine.png
>
> Please explain how they are similar.

Both start with "ad"?

Both can be found in Pete, just like dog poop?

David

Tom Anderson
September 26th 06, 12:11 AM
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, JMW wrote:

> "Mark Demarest" > wrote:
>
>> d A i N B r A m A g E d wrote:
>>
>>> But I also heard that you have jog for atleast half an hour since the
>>> first ten minute intake will be from glycogen and only then from body
>>> fat.
>>
>> Yes and no. You're thirteen, and an athlete, so it's a bit different
>> for you. It's true, there's this invisible 20 minute "threshold" where
>> your body burns through its sugar stores as energy. We store it as
>> adenisinetriphosphate (ADP), which is like adrenaline.
>
> Adenosine triphosphate is ATP; Adenosine diphosphate is ADP

Also, we don't store much energy as ATP - enough for a second or so of
work at most. The 20-minute store is, i think, muscle glycogen. Could be
wrong.

> This is ATP:
> http://www.acdlabs.com/products/chem_dsn_lab/chemsketch/3d/images/image12.gif
>
> This is epinephrine (adrenalin):
> http://www.medicalcomputing.net/images/epinephrine.png
>
> Please explain how they are similar.

They're both ligands for class A G-protein coupled receptors, primarily
coupled to Gq, and so to calcium-dependent cell activation, of course!

tom

--
if you can't beat them, build them