PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical 1RM for deadlift

Bully
September 22nd 06, 02:43 PM
In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was talking
what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does 12 reps @ 120kg.
We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here have an opinion what it
might/should be?

--
Bully

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 22nd 06, 03:12 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does 12
> reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here have an
> opinion what it might/should be?

Depending on your "local endurance", you use 65-80% for 12 reps. Both are
extremes.

75% is a good rough, ballpark figure.

So, my estimate is that he can pull 160 kilos.

----
Pete

Bully
September 22nd 06, 03:21 PM
Pete wrote:
> "Bully" > schreef:
>
>> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
>> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does
>> 12 reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here
>> have an opinion what it might/should be?
>
> Depending on your "local endurance", you use 65-80% for 12 reps. Both
> are extremes.
>
> 75% is a good rough, ballpark figure.
>
> So, my estimate is that he can pull 160 kilos.
>
> ----
> Pete

Yup, precisely my estimate. He was saying 240kg, at which point I laughed, a
lot.

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 22nd 06, 03:24 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

>> Depending on your "local endurance", you use 65-80% for 12 reps. Both
>> are extremes.

>> 75% is a good rough, ballpark figure.

>> So, my estimate is that he can pull 160 kilos.

> Yup, precisely my estimate. He was saying 240kg, at which point I laughed,
> a lot.

Thats hilarious!

I am willing to bet he doesnt understand that the weight/reps curve is a
bit... well "curvy" ;-O

----
Pete

Bully
September 22nd 06, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I said 160kg. He reckoned 6 reps with that weight :) !

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Steve Freides
September 22nd 06, 06:22 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does 12
> reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here have
> an opinion what it might/should be?

Google

1rm calculator

and you'll find several.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Bully
September 22nd 06, 06:28 PM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
>> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does
>> 12 reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here
>> have an opinion what it might/should be?
>
> Google
>
> 1rm calculator
>
> and you'll find several.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

Been there, done that. Wanted human interaction and opinion.

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Steve Freides
September 22nd 06, 06:31 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
>> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does
>> 12 reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here
>> have an opinion what it might/should be?
>
> Google
>
> 1rm calculator
>
> and you'll find several.

I should add that heavy deadlifts, IMHO, translate less well than some
other lifts. I, for one, could never hit the predicted 1RM if I was
training with 12's. I had trouble enough when I was training 5's and
find anything much more than a triple in the deadlift doesn't much help
me pull a big one in a meet. My guess is that your friend who pulls 12
reps @ 120 kg might have a fair amount of difficultly working up to a
160 kg single without at least a few weeks of prep work. My 1RM is 165
kg and training with 120 kg is pretty useless for me.

Just my opinion.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )
September 22nd 06, 06:52 PM
Bully wrote:
> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was talking
> what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does 12 reps @ 120kg.

2 and a half plates a side...
this is Junior league I hope!

> We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here have an opinion what it
> might/should be?

Personally I think "theoretical" 1RM figures are as useful as any
theoretical figure for anything.

Why doesn't he just try ffs.
or not bother with the 1RM but go for 3 or 4 reps max.

Of course, if he is doing 12 reps, I'm sure if he _really- wanted to he
could do another couple of reps, or bang out 12 reps with an extra 10 Kg
on the bar. 12 reps is the lazy mans number of which most of us are
guilty of abusing.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Steve Freides
September 22nd 06, 06:56 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> "Bully" > wrote in message
>>> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
>>> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does
>>> 12 reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here
>>> have an opinion what it might/should be?
>>
>> Google
>>
>> 1rm calculator
>>
>> and you'll find several.
>>
>> -S-
>> http://www.kbnj.com
>
> Been there, done that. Wanted human interaction and opinion.

The opinion you have in my other reply. Interaction? For that you'll
have to pay someone pretty. :) Me, I'm off to deadlift another set.
I'm doing a few triples at 135 kg and 145 kg (close to that, using
pounds @ 295 and 315, not kilos) today, alternating the weights (triple
at one weight, triple at heavier, triple at lighter again, etc.)

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Zaf
September 22nd 06, 07:00 PM
Bully wrote:
> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was talking
> what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does 12 reps @ 120kg.
> We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here have an opinion what it
> might/should be?

Theoretical maxes are a waste of time.
Not only do they vary from person to person, they can aslo vary
depending on the individuals training history.

Bit like trying to estimate how strong someone is by looking at them.

If I was forced to guess - 140-150 kgs.

Zaf.

Pete
September 22nd 06, 07:04 PM
"Steve Freides" > schreef:

>> Been there, done that. Wanted human interaction and opinion.

> The opinion you have in my other reply. Interaction?

Yes, interaction!

So, drop your pants, and... get on your knees! Get on your KNEES!

GET ON YOUR KNEES !!!

Oh ****... thats interCOURSE ;-O

That "language barrier" can be annoying at times...

----
Pete

Pete
September 22nd 06, 07:05 PM
"Zaf" > schreef:

> Theoretical maxes are a waste of time.
> Not only do they vary from person to person, they can aslo vary
> depending on the individuals training history.

> Bit like trying to estimate how strong someone is by looking at them.

> If I was forced to guess - 140-150 kgs.

Good to see you here again, Zaf.
IF you read this, that is, i NEVER cross post!

----
Pete

Hobbes
September 22nd 06, 07:47 PM
In article >,
"Bully" > wrote:

> Pete wrote:

> >> Yup, precisely my estimate. He was saying 240kg, at which point I
> >> laughed, a lot.
> >
> > Thats hilarious!
> >
> > I am willing to bet he doesnt understand that the weight/reps curve
> > is a bit... well "curvy" ;-O
> >
> > ----
> > Pete
>
> Yeah, I said 160kg. He reckoned 6 reps with that weight :) !

"Show me."

:^)

--
Keith

James Ahrens
September 23rd 06, 12:18 AM
Its hilarious that your subject thought he could do 200+.
Looks like it was time to test him on the spot.

12 is a tough one to extrapolate from.
For bench press and similar exercises, Iv'e found that a weight you can
consistently maintain 4-5 sets, reps of 8, is around 75-80% of max,
again depends on your endurance and training history. so 100kg reps
would equal 120-125 max.

Like other comments, the only way to know is to test it.
A pyramid session with 1 lift at "100%" could be an in training test,
even though the reality might higher, your PB is your PB I suppose.
Actually surprised that the guy doesn't know for sure, as a lot of his
training should be worked out from his max downwards.
Maybe he should be lifting a hell of a lot more than 120kg for 12 reps.

Hobbes wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bully" > wrote:
>
> > Pete wrote:

> > > Thats hilarious!
> > >
> > > I am willing to bet he doesnt understand that the weight/reps curve
> > > is a bit... well "curvy" ;-O
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Pete
> >
> > Yeah, I said 160kg. He reckoned 6 reps with that weight :) !
>
> "Show me."
>
> :^)
>
> --
> Keith

Bob Mann
September 24th 06, 06:07 AM
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:21:52 +0100, "Bully"
> wrote:

>Pete wrote:
>> "Bully" > schreef:
>>
>>> In conversation with one of my subjects from the rugby club, he was
>>> talking what his theoretical max would be based on the fact he does
>>> 12 reps @ 120kg. We differed widely in our estimates. Anybody here
>>> have an opinion what it might/should be?
>>
>> Depending on your "local endurance", you use 65-80% for 12 reps. Both
>> are extremes.
>>
>> 75% is a good rough, ballpark figure.
>>
>> So, my estimate is that he can pull 160 kilos.
>>
>> ----
>> Pete
>
>Yup, precisely my estimate. He was saying 240kg, at which point I laughed, a
>lot.

I can do 120 for a lot more than 12 reps, or at least I could when I
competed, and I, once, barely managed to crack 240 off the floor about
an inch in a good suit.
He might get 180 but I doubt he would get much more.
--
Bob Mann
85 K100RS (traded for...)

Bully
September 25th 06, 10:39 AM

James Ahrens wrote:
> Its hilarious that your subject thought he could do 200+.
> Looks like it was time to test him on the spot.
>
> 12 is a tough one to extrapolate from.
> For bench press and similar exercises, Iv'e found that a weight you
> can consistently maintain 4-5 sets, reps of 8, is around 75-80% of
> max, again depends on your endurance and training history. so 100kg
> reps would equal 120-125 max.
>
> Like other comments, the only way to know is to test it.

It shall be done !!!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Bully
September 25th 06, 10:40 AM
Pete wrote:
> "Zaf" > schreef:
>
>> Theoretical maxes are a waste of time.
>> Not only do they vary from person to person, they can aslo vary
>> depending on the individuals training history.
>
>> Bit like trying to estimate how strong someone is by looking at them.
>
>> If I was forced to guess - 140-150 kgs.
>
> Good to see you here again, Zaf.
> IF you read this, that is, i NEVER cross post!
>
> ----
> Pete

Why not?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 25th 06, 02:49 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

>>> If I was forced to guess - 140-150 kgs.

>> Good to see you here again, Zaf.
>> IF you read this, that is, i NEVER cross post!

> Why not?

Because its sloppy, and by the way i organize my replies, you can see in an
instant that i am a control freak.
When i cross-post, i feel out of control.

YOU are sloppy!

Look at this, what a mess!

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Pete wrote:
> "Zaf" > schreef:
>
>> Theoretical maxes are a waste of time.
>> Not only do they vary from person to person, they can aslo vary
>> depending on the individuals training history.
>
>> Bit like trying to estimate how strong someone is by looking at them.
>
>> If I was forced to guess - 140-150 kgs.
>
> Good to see you here again, Zaf.
> IF you read this, that is, i NEVER cross post!
>
> ----
> Pete

Why not?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

See the difference?

----
Pete

Bully
September 25th 06, 03:16 PM
Pete wrote:

>>> Good to see you here again, Zaf.
>>> IF you read this, that is, i NEVER cross post!
>
>> Why not?
>
> Because its sloppy, and by the way i organize my replies, you can see
> in an instant that i am a control freak.
> When i cross-post, i feel out of control.

Lay off the fecking drugs then !

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 25th 06, 04:25 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

>> Because its sloppy, and by the way i organize my replies, you can see
>> in an instant that i am a control freak.
>> When i cross-post, i feel out of control.

> Lay off the fecking drugs then !

the drugs help me stay in control...

In contrast to this;

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

----
Pete

Bully
September 25th 06, 04:26 PM
Pete wrote:
> "Bully" > schreef:
>
>>> Because its sloppy, and by the way i organize my replies, you can
>>> see in an instant that i am a control freak.
>>> When i cross-post, i feel out of control.
>
>> Lay off the fecking drugs then !
>
> the drugs help me stay in control...
>
> In contrast to this;
>

> Pete wrote:

>>> Why not?
>>
>> Because its sloppy, and by the way i organize my replies, you can see
>> in an instant that i am a control freak.
>> When i cross-post, i feel out of control.
>
> Lay off the fecking drugs then !
>

>> YOU are sloppy!
>>
>> Look at this, what a mess!
>>
>> __________________________________________________ ________________________________
>>
>> Pete wrote:

>>> Good to see you here again, Zaf.
>>> IF you read this, that is, i NEVER cross post!
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Pete
>>
>> Why not?

What-ever!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 25th 06, 04:29 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

in bericht ...
> Pete wrote:

>>> Lay off the fecking drugs then !
>>
>> the drugs help me stay in control...
>>
>> In contrast to this;
>>

>> Pete wrote:

>>> Because its sloppy, and by the way i organize my replies, you can see
>>> in an instant that i am a control freak.
>>> When i cross-post, i feel out of control.
>>
>> Lay off the fecking drugs then !
>>

>>> YOU are sloppy!
>>>
>>> Look at this, what a mess!
>>>
>>> __________________________________________________ ________________________________

>>> Why not?
>
> What-ever!
>
> --
> Bully
> Protein bars: http://www.proteinbars.co.uk
>
> "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
> matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

But you are FAST, i will give you credit for that!

I pressed "refresh" and both my new post and yours appeared.

Speed-freak! ;-O

----
Pete

Bully
September 25th 06, 04:35 PM
Pete wrote:

[...]

> But you are FAST, i will give you credit for that!
>
> I pressed "refresh" and both my new post and yours appeared.
>
> Speed-freak! ;-O
>
> ----
> Pete

Pot-kettle-black!!!!

To be fair, it's been a number of years. The comedown is not really worth
it!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 25th 06, 04:48 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

>> But you are FAST, i will give you credit for that!

>> I pressed "refresh" and both my new post and yours appeared.

>> Speed-freak! ;-O

> Pot-kettle-black!!!!

I did it on purpose, so that doesnt count!
Do you see how disturbing those messy posts are? Very disburbing!

> To be fair, it's been a number of years. The comedown is not really worth
> it!

Hmmm.

----
Pete

Bully
September 25th 06, 04:56 PM
Pete wrote:
> "Bully" > schreef:
>
>>> But you are FAST, i will give you credit for that!
>
>>> I pressed "refresh" and both my new post and yours appeared.
>
>>> Speed-freak! ;-O
>
>> Pot-kettle-black!!!!
>
> I did it on purpose, so that doesnt count!
> Do you see how disturbing those messy posts are? Very disburbing!

It was the speed-freak reference, not the messy post reference I was, erm,
referencing!

BTW: the word is disturbing!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Charles
September 25th 06, 05:29 PM
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:56:13 +0100, "Bully"
> wrote:

>Pete wrote:

>>> Pot-kettle-black!!!!
>>
>> I did it on purpose, so that doesnt count!
>> Do you see how disturbing those messy posts are? Very disburbing!
>
>It was the speed-freak reference, not the messy post reference I was, erm,
>referencing!
>
>BTW: the word is disturbing!

I was profoundly disburbed! ;o)