PDA

View Full Version : powerlifter lifespans

September 25th 06, 03:15 AM
ever been any studies on how powerlifter lifespans compare to the
average lifespan?

September 26th 06, 02:52 AM
wrote:
> ever been any studies on how powerlifter lifespans compare to the
> average lifespan?

Steve Freides
September 26th 06, 01:46 PM
"DZ" > wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote:
>> ever been any studies on how powerlifter lifespans compare to the
>> average lifespan?
>
> A short answer - they don't live as long as regular people.
>
> Discuss :-)
>
> There is an obvious bias in that stronger people select
> powerlifting. They might be predisposed to certain problems. If you
> want a cleaner experiment, go to USSR where powerlifting selects YOU!
>
> There was a study on Finns that found that elite "anaerobic" sports
> athletes lived about the same as "controls". Team sports athletes a
> bit longer. Aerobic elite athletes lived a few (like 5) years more.

I wonder if the relationship to longevity in PL'ers took bodyweight into
account, i.e., if smaller, weight class PL'ers (like me) lived longer
than SHW's.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Hobbes
September 26th 06, 03:12 PM
In article >,
DZ > wrote:

> > wrote:
> > ever been any studies on how powerlifter lifespans compare to the
> > average lifespan?
>
> A short answer - they don't live as long as regular people.
>
> Discuss :-)

Size would be the major factor, I suspect.

And most powerlifters don't do a calorie restricted diet.

:^)

--
Keith

Jason Earl
September 26th 06, 10:44 PM
DZ > writes:

> > wrote:
>> ever been any studies on how powerlifter lifespans compare to the
>> average lifespan?
>
> A short answer - they don't live as long as regular people.
>
> Discuss :-)
>
> There is an obvious bias in that stronger people select
> powerlifting. They might be predisposed to certain problems. If you
> want a cleaner experiment, go to USSR where powerlifting selects
> YOU!

It would also be interesting to see the numbers broken down by weight
class. I am curious to see whether the super heavy weights are
dragging down the rest of the anaerobic crew. If the anaerobic crew
can do as well as the normal population including the super heavies,
then there's a good chance that the lighter weight classes are
healthier than the control.

Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.

> There was a study on Finns that found that elite "anaerobic" sports
> athletes lived about the same as "controls". Team sports athletes a
> bit longer. Aerobic elite athletes lived a few (like 5) years more.

Does "team sports" include things like curling?

Jason

ranieri
September 27th 06, 01:03 AM
"Shute" > wrote in message

> If I am 90 years old and drooling while staring out
> into space than that isn't much of a life.

Hey, if I can still hold down a government job at 90 I'd take it.

John Hanson
September 27th 06, 01:04 AM
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:28:01 +0000 (UTC), DZ
> wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>Shute > wrote:
>> DZ wrote:
>>> There was a study on Finns that found that elite "anaerobic" sports
>>> athletes lived about the same as "controls". Team sports athletes a
>>> bit longer. Aerobic elite athletes lived a few (like 5) years more.
>>
>> Living longer is only half the story though. What was their quality
>> of life like. If I am 90 years old and drooling while staring out
>> into space than that isn't much of a life. I have read before that
>> although man die sooner they are more self sufficient into their old
>> age. I am curious if having fit and strong muscles give a better
>> quality of life later on.
>
>Good points, the functional life span. It could be a good portion of
>the actual lifespan if one drops early from something drastic like a
>heart attack. That way a bottle of vodka a day will do just as well
>(according to one fiction book, vodka with cocaine mixed in is even
>better and it claims that such mix was affectionately called "Baltic
>Tea" by some revolutionaries).
>
>It's possible that the calorie restriction is still a better way to
>prevent drooling out into space than powerlifting -
>http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-09/tmsh-cri091506.php
>
>(that is, if one HAS to choose one or the other)

Ever see powerlifters at a buffet after a meet? There's usually a lot
of drooling going on, even with the junior lifters.
:-)

Pete
September 27th 06, 10:16 AM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

> Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.

Perhaps you DO!

When i was at my heaviest, well, several months after, but still around
127-128 kilograms, my blood-pressure was
115/65, and cholesterol was low. Pulse was about 65.

When you compare a SHW "bodybuilder" (i used the quotation marks because im
something of a bodybuilder/powerlifter/weighlifter/low/medium/high repper)
to a SHW powerlifter, the BBer has relatively more LBM and less fat. I am
sure the PLers here agree with me.

And that that fact *could* make a difference...

Oh, and if "geek_gril" wants to respond by pointing out that PLers have more
LBM then BBers, dont bother.
I have you kill-filed, just like all the other "women"...

----
Pete

Hobbes
September 27th 06, 01:05 PM
In article >,
Shute > wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:44:36 -0600, Jason Earl >
> wrote:
>
> >It would also be interesting to see the numbers broken down by weight
> >class. I am curious to see whether the super heavy weights are
> >dragging down the rest of the anaerobic crew. If the anaerobic crew
> >can do as well as the normal population including the super heavies,
> >then there's a good chance that the lighter weight classes are
> >healthier than the control.
> >
> >Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.
>
> I also wonder power lifters constantly trying for their max lift die
> sooner than those who just workout heavy. I think trying for the one
> rep all the time puts a lot of stress on the system.

Where did that come from?

--
Keith

zxcv
September 27th 06, 02:06 PM
Hobbes wrote:
> In article >,
> Shute > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:44:36 -0600, Jason Earl >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >It would also be interesting to see the numbers broken down by weight
> > >class. I am curious to see whether the super heavy weights are
> > >dragging down the rest of the anaerobic crew. If the anaerobic crew
> > >can do as well as the normal population including the super heavies,
> > >then there's a good chance that the lighter weight classes are
> > >healthier than the control.
> > >
> > >Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.
> >
> > I also wonder power lifters constantly trying for their max lift die
> > sooner than those who just workout heavy. I think trying for the one
> > rep all the time puts a lot of stress on the system.
> >

> Where did that come from?
>
> --
> Keith

I have wondered about that myself. I used to get all kinds of broken
blood vessels in my face and headaches (one that lasted for about 2
weeks) from doing maximum effort squats and deadlifts. All I could
think was, "This can't be good for my brain." I seem to have mitigated
this effect somewhat by always exhaling at the sticking point and
losing some weight but still I wonder . . .

Hobbes
September 27th 06, 02:29 PM
In article om>,
"zxcv" > wrote:

> Hobbes wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Shute > wrote:

> > > I also wonder power lifters constantly trying for their max lift die
> > > sooner than those who just workout heavy. I think trying for the one
> > > rep all the time puts a lot of stress on the system.
> > >

> > Where did that come from?
> >
> > --
> > Keith
>
> I have wondered about that myself. I used to get all kinds of broken
> blood vessels in my face and headaches (one that lasted for about 2
> weeks) from doing maximum effort squats and deadlifts. All I could
> think was, "This can't be good for my brain." I seem to have mitigated
> this effect somewhat by always exhaling at the sticking point and
> losing some weight but still I wonder . . .

Are you referring to Westside max effort training?

--
Keith

zxcv
September 27th 06, 04:26 PM
Hobbes wrote:
> In article om>,
> "zxcv" > wrote:
>
> > Hobbes wrote:

> > > Where did that come from?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Keith
> >
> > I have wondered about that myself. I used to get all kinds of broken
> > blood vessels in my face and headaches (one that lasted for about 2
> > weeks) from doing maximum effort squats and deadlifts. All I could
> > think was, "This can't be good for my brain." I seem to have mitigated
> > this effect somewhat by always exhaling at the sticking point and
> > losing some weight but still I wonder . . .
> >

> Are you referring to Westside max effort training?
>
> --
> Keith

yes.

geek_girl
September 27th 06, 04:51 PM
Pete wrote:

> Oh, and if "geek_gril" wants to respond by pointing out that PLers have more
> LBM then BBers, dont bother.

Huh. Somebody has problems with reading comprehension.

> I have you kill-filed, just like all the other "women"...

I guess Pete won't see this, but can someone else possibly explain the
scare quotes?

Lee Michaels
September 27th 06, 05:04 PM
"geek_girl" > wrote

> Pete wrote:
>

>> Oh, and if "geek_gril" wants to respond by pointing out that PLers have
>> more
>> LBM then BBers, dont bother.
>
> Huh. Somebody has problems with reading comprehension.
>
>> I have you kill-filed, just like all the other "women"...
>
> I guess Pete won't see this, but can someone else possibly explain the
> scare quotes?

Given the fact that Pete can't spell and you are from Texas, we can only
conjecture.

I naturally assumed that he was referring to a very intelligent barbecue
device. And he is afraid smart barbecue cookers. ("geek_gril")

And/or he is thoroughly intimidated by literate women.

Or women who eat barbecue.

Or..........???

geek_girl
September 27th 06, 05:17 PM
Lee Michaels wrote:
> "geek_girl" > wrote
>
> > Pete wrote:
> >

> >> Oh, and if "geek_gril" wants to respond by pointing out that PLers have
> >> more
> >> LBM then BBers, dont bother.
> >
> > Huh. Somebody has problems with reading comprehension.
> >
> >> I have you kill-filed, just like all the other "women"...
> >
> > I guess Pete won't see this, but can someone else possibly explain the
> > scare quotes?
> >

> Given the fact that Pete can't spell and you are from Texas, we can only
> conjecture.
>
> I naturally assumed that he was referring to a very intelligent barbecue
> device. And he is afraid smart barbecue cookers. ("geek_gril")
>
> And/or he is thoroughly intimidated by literate women.
>
> Or women who eat barbecue.
>
> Or..........???

You've reminded me that I need a grill. I wonder if it's too late in
the season to get one. They're either all gone by now, or majorly
marked down for end of season clearance. <Making note to go grill
shopping> Thanks for the reminder!

Pete
September 27th 06, 07:40 PM
"Lee Michaels" > schreef:

>> I guess Pete won't see this, but can someone else possibly explain the
>> scare quotes?

I saw it.

> Given the fact that Pete can't spell and you are from Texas, we can only
> conjecture.

Eat me.

Okay.

Grill. Good?

> I naturally assumed that he was referring to a very intelligent barbecue
> device. And he is afraid smart barbecue cookers. ("geek_gril")

> And/or he is thoroughly intimidated by literate women.

Quilty.

> Or women who eat barbecue.

Quilty.

> Or..........???

You dont wanna know...

----
Pete

geek_girl
September 27th 06, 08:46 PM
Pete wrote:
> "Lee Michaels" > schreef:
>
> >> I guess Pete won't see this, but can someone else possibly explain the
> >> scare quotes?
>
> I saw it.
>
> > Given the fact that Pete can't spell and you are from Texas, we can only
> > conjecture.
>
> Eat me.
>
> Okay.
>
> Grill. Good?
>
> > I naturally assumed that he was referring to a very intelligent barbecue
> > device. And he is afraid smart barbecue cookers. ("geek_gril")
>
> > And/or he is thoroughly intimidated by literate women.
>
> Quilty.
>
> > Or women who eat barbecue.
>
> Quilty.
>
> > Or..........???
>
> You dont wanna know...
>
> ----
> Pete

Did any of this make any sense to anyone? Cuz i iz confoozed.

The Queen of Cans and Jars
September 27th 06, 09:58 PM
geek_girl > wrote:

> Pete wrote:

> > I saw it.
> >
> > > Given the fact that Pete can't spell and you are from Texas, we can only
> > > conjecture.
> >
> > Eat me.
> >
> > Okay.
> >
> > Grill. Good?
> >
> > > I naturally assumed that he was referring to a very intelligent barbecue
> > > device. And he is afraid smart barbecue cookers. ("geek_gril")
> >
> > > And/or he is thoroughly intimidated by literate women.
> >
> > Quilty.
> >
> > > Or women who eat barbecue.
> >
> > Quilty.
> >
> > > Or..........???
> >
> > You dont wanna know...
> >
> > ----
> > Pete
>
> Did any of this make any sense to anyone? Cuz i iz confoozed.

I think he's a quilter. HTH.

Andrzej Rosa
September 27th 06, 10:35 PM
Dnia 2006-09-27 DZ napisał(a):
> I'd like to help you out but it looks difficult to dig up. I have no
> problem coming up with stuff like this though -
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Display&itool=abstractplus&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=10834358
>
> BTW, one of the papers citing the first abstract on the page has an
> intriguing title "All-cause mortality and mortality of myocardial
> infarction for 989 legally castrated men" who appear to have had fewer
> deaths of myocardial infarction than expected. It is strange though
> because the last time I was promised to have my nads cut off they also
> assured me of very short life ahead.
>
> On the third page of the PubMed link there is a study of a group of
> powerlifters (PMID: 12821208) which says that powerlifters who use AAS
> reported "significantly poorer relationships with their fathers". That
> reminded me of a Discovery channel (or similar) program about Hitler
> that basically blamed everything he had become on his poor potty
> training. I'm not kidding - it was kind of a Wagnerian leitmotif
> through the entire program.
>
>>> There was a study on Finns that found that elite "anaerobic" sports
>>> athletes lived about the same as "controls". Team sports athletes a
>>> bit longer. Aerobic elite athletes lived a few (like 5) years more.
>>
>> Does "team sports" include things like curling?
>
> Do you mean Provo style ice hokey or the bicep exercise usually
> performed by a row of pretty boys in beach outfit in front of the
> mirror? I think both are team sports in a way.

Is this voting for the funniest post of the month for real?

Even if it's not I rank this one at a solid 7.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R

geek_girl
September 27th 06, 10:53 PM
The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
> geek_girl > wrote:
>
> > Pete wrote:

> > > I saw it.

> > > Eat me.
> > >
> > > Okay.
> > >
> > > Grill. Good?

> > > Quilty.

> > > Quilty.

> > > You dont wanna know...
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Pete
> >
> > Did any of this make any sense to anyone? Cuz i iz confoozed.
>
> I think he's a quilter. HTH.

Oh, of course! I wonder if he'd make a quilt for me. Hmm. I'm still
waiting on my pot holders from that retarded kid.