PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do they do this???

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 25th 06, 11:38 AM
It's so impressive...... :-)

http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Bully
September 25th 06, 01:03 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> It's so impressive...... :-)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w

They're clever, them damn dogs. Praps they know more than us about the
nutritional value of poop?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

David Cohen
September 25th 06, 01:23 PM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> It's so impressive...... :-)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w

It is, but not for the reason you think.

Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or Shamu
the Orca.

What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the training
by the human.

For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
work.

David

Lee Michaels
September 25th 06, 03:16 PM
"David Cohen" intoned

> Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
> is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
> each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
> strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or
> Shamu the Orca.
>
> What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the
> training by the human.
>
> For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
> work.

Which begs the question.

Who trained who?

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 25th 06, 06:49 PM
In article >,
"Bully" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > It's so impressive...... :-)
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
>
> They're clever, them damn dogs. Praps they know more than us about the
> nutritional value of poop?

You would go there yet again... ;-)

Bastid!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 25th 06, 06:54 PM
In article . net>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> > It's so impressive...... :-)
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
>
> It is, but not for the reason you think.
>
> Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
> is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
> each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
> strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or Shamu
> the Orca.
>
> What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the training
> by the human.
>
> For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
> work.
>
> David

Ironic isn't it? :-) I understand that for drug and bomb dogs, it's all
play to them.

I know what you mean about getting them to understand what you want them
to do. I had to train one of my dogs away from nuisance barking once. It
took a few tries, but once he understood what I was trying to
communicate to him, he never did it again. I was on a 2 week vacation
and spent about 3 days at it.

Much better burglar alarm after that.

I'm still trying to get the BC to learn how to fetch. While she will
happily leap up in the air to take a squeeky toy from my hand and she
will chase it briefly, she just can't seem to "get it". <sigh> She did
do it once and was rewarded lavishly but she never has done it
again......

Oh well! I love her anyway. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 25th 06, 06:54 PM
In article >,
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

> "David Cohen" intoned
> >
> > Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
> > is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
> > each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
> > strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or
> > Shamu the Orca.
> >
> > What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the
> > training by the human.
> >
> > For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
> > work.
> >
> Which begs the question.
>
> Who trained who?

<lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Richard
September 26th 06, 02:31 AM
David Cohen wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>> It's so impressive...... :-)
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
>
> It is, but not for the reason you think.
>
> Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
> is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
> each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
> strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or Shamu
> the Orca.
>
> What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the training
> by the human.
>
> For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
> work.
>
> David

You forgot to mention the way they use poop to reward the dogs. Just a
tiny bit of poop between cheek and gum and you have full MFW pleasure
all through the day.

Richard

JMW
September 26th 06, 03:23 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote:

>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>> It's so impressive...... :-)
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
>
>It is, but not for the reason you think.
>
>Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
>is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
>each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
>strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or Shamu
>the Orca.
>
>What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the training
>by the human.
>
>For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
>work.

I partially disagree. The dog's ability to recall and instantaneously
execute numerous different routines on signal is real quite
impressive.

Yes, it took hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training, but it
also requires an exceptional dog.

Lee Michaels
September 26th 06, 03:30 AM
"JMW" > wrote

> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>

>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>>> It's so impressive...... :-)
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
>>
>>It is, but not for the reason you think.
>>
>>Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
>>is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
>>each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
>>strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or
>>Shamu
>>the Orca.
>>
>>What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the
>>training
>>by the human.
>>
>>For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
>>work.
>
> I partially disagree. The dog's ability to recall and instantaneously
> execute numerous different routines on signal is real quite
> impressive.
>
> Yes, it took hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training, but it
> also requires an exceptional dog.

You have a valid point.

After all, there are many humans who could not execute that cute little
dance routine.

<strong visual of Cohen tripping over his feet>

JMW
September 26th 06, 04:48 AM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

>"JMW" > wrote
>
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>

>>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

>>>It is, but not for the reason you think.
>>>
>>>Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
>>>is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
>>>each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
>>>strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or
>>>Shamu
>>>the Orca.
>>>
>>>What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the
>>>training
>>>by the human.
>>>
>>>For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
>>>work.
>>
>> I partially disagree. The dog's ability to recall and instantaneously
>> execute numerous different routines on signal is real quite
>> impressive.
>>
>> Yes, it took hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training, but it
>> also requires an exceptional dog.
>
>You have a valid point.
>
>After all, there are many humans who could not execute that cute little
>dance routine.
>
><strong visual of Cohen tripping over his feet>

I heard that guys in klezmer bands buy extra insurance if they learn
that Cohen is invited to the wedding.

David Cohen
September 26th 06, 05:31 AM
"JMW" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>>> It's so impressive...... :-)
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/r9b8w
>>
>>It is, but not for the reason you think.
>>
>>Dogs will do anything you want them to, as long as they understand what it
>>is you want them to. A seemingly complex performance is nothing more than
>>each little tiny piece of the performance, each trained and perfected and
>>strung together, piece by piece. Same as training a movie grizzly, or
>>Shamu
>>the Orca.
>>
>>What IS impressive is the literally thousands of hours put into the
>>training
>>by the human.
>>
>>For the dog, it was all fun play. For the human, it was a hell of a lot of
>>work.
>
> I partially disagree. The dog's ability to recall and instantaneously
> execute numerous different routines on signal is real quite
> impressive.
>
> Yes, it took hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training, but it
> also requires an exceptional dog.

I partially disagree with your partial disagreement. I, too, am impressed by
the dog's performance, but then, I'm impressed with dogs in general.

I think any dog with a high degree of trainability could do similar, given
the same/similar human and her dedication. Not surprising it was a Golden
Retreiver. I'd be REALLY impressed if she did it with an Akita.

I think I am a cynophilic misanthrope: I just assume dogs will do amazing
things, but I am always surprised when humans do.

David

David Cohen
September 26th 06, 05:32 AM
"JMW" > wrote
> "Lee Michaels" > wrote:

>>> I partially disagree. The dog's ability to recall and instantaneously
>>> execute numerous different routines on signal is real quite
>>> impressive.
>>>
>>> Yes, it took hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training, but it
>>> also requires an exceptional dog.
>>
>>You have a valid point.
>>
>>After all, there are many humans who could not execute that cute little
>>dance routine.
>>
>><strong visual of Cohen tripping over his feet>
>
> I heard that guys in klezmer bands buy extra insurance if they learn
> that Cohen is invited to the wedding.

I have three left feet.

That's right: I said three.

David

OmManiPadmeOmelet
September 26th 06, 05:02 PM
In article et>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> I have three left feet.
>
> That's right: I said three.
>
> David

So when you pee in the lake, you can tell the water is cold?

And deep too...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Lucas Buck
September 27th 06, 06:43 PM
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 04:32:49 GMT, "David Cohen" > wrote:

>"JMW" > wrote
>> "Lee Michaels" > wrote:
>>>"JMW" > wrote

>>>You have a valid point.
>>>
>>>After all, there are many humans who could not execute that cute little
>>>dance routine.
>>>
>>><strong visual of Cohen tripping over his feet>
>>
>> I heard that guys in klezmer bands buy extra insurance if they learn
>> that Cohen is invited to the wedding.
>
>I have three left feet.
>
>That's right: I said three.
>
>David

Keeping souvenirs of your victims in the freezer again?