PDA

View Full Version : Protein supplements / Creatine etc

September 26th 06, 12:09 PM
As someone relatively new to the gym and unfit,

Are these sort of things any good at all for someone like me?

Or are they for the serious body builder type only?

I'm just a gym three times a week guy who could do with losing 30-40
pounds and wants to get fitter and healthier....

Jason Earl
September 26th 06, 10:34 PM
" > writes:

> As someone relatively new to the gym and unfit, Are these sort of
> things any good at all for someone like me?

Pareto's Law states that for many phenomena, 80% of the consequences
stem from 20% of the causes. With fitness, like most areas, the real
trick is to find the magical 20% that will get you most of your
potential outcome.

Supplements probably *aren't* in that 20%.

> Or are they for the serious body builder type only?

They are nutritional supplements. That's all. Of all of the
supplements creatine and whey protein powder are some of the most
effective, and they are inexpensive to boot. So mixing them in can't
hurt, but don't expect miracles.

> I'm just a gym three times a week guy who could do with losing 30-40
> pounds and wants to get fitter and healthier....

Here's a little experiment that you can try at home. Mix up a couple
of scoops of protein, a "dose" of creatine (check the box), and a
powdered sports drink like Gatorade. Drink this during your workout.
That's essentially the most useful way to use whey protein, and it is
a good time to ingest creatine as well.

Try that for a couple of weeks and see what you think. The required
materials should cost less than $30. Don't expect miracles though.
The real trick is to build habits that last a lifetime.

Jason

Pete
September 27th 06, 11:43 AM
"Shute" > schreef:

>>I'm just a gym three times a week guy who could do with losing 30-40
>>pounds and wants to get fitter and healthier....

> I think you should wait until you get a bit more fit. You should be
> seeing good improvements without any assistance just starting out. I
> also think the powder supplements are just going to make you fatter if
> you are already overweight.

That doesnt make any sense...
You still NEED those aminos for repair and muscle growth, no matter HOW fat
you are!

> They are not just for advanced body builders. But I think one should
> get their body into shape before taking them.

Protein powders?

----
Pete

Bully
September 27th 06, 12:36 PM
Shute wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2006 04:09:18 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
>> As someone relatively new to the gym and unfit,
>>
>> Are these sort of things any good at all for someone like me?
>>
>> Or are they for the serious body builder type only?
>>
>> I'm just a gym three times a week guy who could do with losing 30-40
>> pounds and wants to get fitter and healthier....
>
> I think you should wait until you get a bit more fit. You should be
> seeing good improvements without any assistance just starting out. I
> also think the powder supplements are just going to make you fatter if
> you are already overweight.
>
> They are not just for advanced body builders. But I think one should
> get their body into shape before taking them.

Does that apply to eating chicken, tuna, etc.?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

joanne
September 27th 06, 04:24 PM
Shute wrote:
> Maybe they have come a long way over the years. But when I
> was a kid anyone taking that kind of stuff just got fatter.

Thats because they were probably having a shake in addition to their
regular eating - so of course its the additional calories that made
them gain weight/fat.
If weight/fat loss is the goal then supplementing with protein powders
as a meal replacement can be an easy way to up your daily protein. But
that said, its more a convenience thing than a 'need to' thing. Food is
always better if you can.
Anyone who is contemplating supplementing should first have their daily
eating plan cleaned up and their exercise routine underway BEFORE they
add anything into the mix. Supplementing is 'in addition to' (duh!) so
have the foundation built first before you even contemplate protein
powders/creatine etc. (whats in your fridge/cupboards?)

joanne

Bully
September 27th 06, 06:00 PM
Shute wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:43:01 +0200, "Pete" >
> wrote:
>
>>> They are not just for advanced body builders. But I think one
>>> should get their body into shape before taking them.
>>
>> Protein powders?
>
> Yeah. Maybe they have come a long way over the years. But when I
> was a kid anyone taking that kind of stuff just got fatter.

Probably best if kids don't consume it then.

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Bully
September 27th 06, 06:01 PM
Shute wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:36:49 +0100, "Bully"
> > wrote:
>
>> Does that apply to eating chicken, tuna, etc.?
>

> Those are not supplements.

Ah ok, just wanted to clarify if it's protein per se you have a problem with
or protein "supplements"!

> Eating healthier is a good way to jump
> start the system.

Can you define what you mean by "jump start the system"? Are you
constipated?