PDA

View Full Version : pumped prior to working out?

funkdys
September 26th 06, 07:43 PM
Newbie question -

there are a few regulars that I see at the local Golds gym - these guys
look like they worked out prior to getting to the gym. Arms look hard
as a rock, veins bulging, pumped, ...

I find myself working pretty hard while in the gym and leave the gym
feeling pretty pumped. My arms feel pretty solid. But when I get into
the gym the next day, it's certainly not the same. Actually, a few
hours later, it's not quite the same. The muscular tightness seems to
dissipate.

How do these other guys manage to stay pumped? Is this simply because
the dudes in question have been working out regularly for a *long* time
or are they doing a set of push ups prior to coming into the gym every
day?

Pete
September 26th 06, 08:14 PM
"funkdys" > schreef:

> How do these other guys manage to stay pumped? Is this simply because
> the dudes in question have been working out regularly for a *long* time
> or are they doing a set of push ups prior to coming into the gym every
> day?

First thing that comes to mind are steroids.
Ask them if they are on steroids.

----
Pete

Curt James
September 26th 06, 11:11 PM
Pete wrote:
> "funkdys" schreef:
>
> > How do these other guys manage to stay pumped? Is this simply because
> > the dudes in question have been working out regularly for a *long* time
> > or are they doing a set of push ups prior to coming into the gym every
> > day?
>
> First thing that comes to mind are steroids.

I'll take your word for it, Pete, but wouldn't a vascular look also
indicate a low percentage of bodyfat? Their size along with low bf%
would also offer that "stay pumped" look, yes? And some people have
prominent veins while others just don't regardless of their size. In
fact, I'd bet that Coleman's pronounced vascularity is at least one
factor in his many wins over Cutler (okay, there's also Cutler's
so-called hairstyle). Jay's arms just don't have the pronounced veins
that Coleman's possess.

> Ask them if they are on steroids.

Is that recommendation in that new fitness book I heard about, Pete?
What was the title, _How To Win Friends and Influence People at the
Gym_?

Step one: Find the biggest, most pumped and angry looking mofo in the
gym and ask him, "HEY, MEATHEAD! ARE YOU ON THA 'ROIDS OR WHUT???!!!"

Step two: Look around the gym with an expression of disgust and
condescension and mutter, "This gym is absolute **** compared to the
LAST gym I worked out at."

Step three: Load an Olympic bar to 405 lbs. on the squat rack, step
back from the rack and then dump it backwards off your shoulders,
sending it CRASHING to the floor. When you're certain everyone in the
gym is looking in your direction, yell angrily, "WHAT'RE YOU FRIGGING
JUICE MONKEYS *STARING AT???!!!*"

Step four: ...

Actually, I doubt anyone's made it much past that third step.

--
Curt

mike
September 26th 06, 11:56 PM
"Curt James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Pete wrote:
> > "funkdys" schreef:
> >
> > > How do these other guys manage to stay pumped? Is this simply because
> > > the dudes in question have been working out regularly for a *long*
time
> > > or are they doing a set of push ups prior to coming into the gym every
> > > day?
> >
> > First thing that comes to mind are steroids.
>
> I'll take your word for it, Pete, but wouldn't a vascular look also
> indicate a low percentage of bodyfat? Their size along with low bf%
> would also offer that "stay pumped" look, yes? And some people have
> prominent veins while others just don't regardless of their size. In
> fact, I'd bet that Coleman's pronounced vascularity is at least one
> factor in his many wins over Cutler (okay, there's also Cutler's
> so-called hairstyle). Jay's arms just don't have the pronounced veins
> that Coleman's possess.
>
> > Ask them if they are on steroids.
>
> Is that recommendation in that new fitness book I heard about, Pete?
> What was the title, _How To Win Friends and Influence People at the
> Gym_?
>
> Step one: Find the biggest, most pumped and angry looking mofo in the
> gym and ask him, "HEY, MEATHEAD! ARE YOU ON THA 'ROIDS OR WHUT???!!!"
>
> Step two: Look around the gym with an expression of disgust and
> condescension and mutter, "This gym is absolute **** compared to the
> LAST gym I worked out at."
>
> Step three: Load an Olympic bar to 405 lbs. on the squat rack, step
> back from the rack and then dump it backwards off your shoulders,
> sending it CRASHING to the floor. When you're certain everyone in the
> gym is looking in your direction, yell angrily, "WHAT'RE YOU FRIGGING
> JUICE MONKEYS *STARING AT???!!!*"
>
> Step four: ...
>
> Actually, I doubt anyone's made it much past that third step.
>
> > Pete
>
> --
> Curt

Step four is:
Go home - if you are capable - and change those heavily brown-stained pants
immediately...Oh, and dont forget to wipe off all the blood and head to the
emergency for a blood transfusion and cranial surgery.

Pete
September 27th 06, 09:53 AM
"Curt James" > schreef:

>> First thing that comes to mind are steroids.

> I'll take your word for it, Pete, but wouldn't a vascular look also
> indicate a low percentage of bodyfat?

Sure.
But i suspect that the increased blood volume helps the veins to pop out
which enhances the vascular look.

> Their size along with low bf% would also offer that "stay pumped" look,
> yes?

Well, if you are big all the time, you look pumped all the time.
But from what OP wrote, i had the impression that they looked as if they had
just worked out.
Some people experience this with testosterone. I noticed a huge difference
when i stacked the injecttables with the orals.

Never felt so good in my life...
And im sure that thousands of lurkers who read this, agree with me.

Its not a coincedence that Deca/Anadrol is prescribed when there is severe
anemia...

> And some people have prominent veins while others just don't regardless of
> their size.

True.
I have this "Arnold vein" on my uuper arms, which is visible even when i
wake up. About 1/3 of an inch in diameter.
It approaches half an inch after a solid workout. While on steroids, that
is.
But then again, i have this vein ever since i was 14, when i did curls with
small dumbells for high reps, and did infinite amouts of reps with those
"squeezers, to develop the forearms.

My brother, about 4 years older and a terrific bench presser, never
developed this kinda veins, no matter what he did...
But his bodytype is more Endo/Mesomorph...

> In fact, I'd bet that Coleman's pronounced vascularity is at least one
> factor in his many wins over Cutler (okay, there's also Cutler's
> so-called hairstyle). Jay's arms just don't have the pronounced veins
> that Coleman's possess.

I think so.
Having huge veins make the arms appear a lot more impressive.

>> Ask them if they are on steroids.

> Is that recommendation in that new fitness book I heard about, Pete?

Hehehe...
I was joking. I think YOU saw that ;-O
ASKING som,ething that is a major NONO! Has to to gym etiquette.
I usually see within a few seconds if someone uses or not. I have a trained
eye for that.

> What was the title, _How To Win Friends and Influence People at the
> Gym_?

How about "High on Androgens" and "Steroid Superman"?
Or "Addisted to Testosterone"?

But i DO have this idea about writing a small boiok for several years now.
But it will a sorta "no-nonsense" guide about lifting. It will be about
traning. Not nutrution.
Perhaps a *small* chapter about steroids.

But i will sure as hell try to blew a lot of myths.
It there something like this out there?

> Step one: Find the biggest, most pumped and angry looking mofo in the
> gym and ask him, "HEY, MEATHEAD! ARE YOU ON THA 'ROIDS OR WHUT???!!!"

Actually...
You walk to biggest guy, and start some smalltalk.
Then you start to complain about your training and progess.

> Step two: Look around the gym with an expression of disgust and
> condescension and mutter, "This gym is absolute **** compared to the
> LAST gym I worked out at."

Might work ;-O

> Step three: Load an Olympic bar to 405 lbs. on the squat rack, step
> back from the rack and then dump it backwards off your shoulders,
> sending it CRASHING to the floor. When you're certain everyone in the
> gym is looking in your direction, yell angrily, "WHAT'RE YOU FRIGGING
> JUICE MONKEYS *STARING AT???!!!*"

I sometimes walk to the gym owner, usually when its time to leave, and have
this request;
"Would be nice if you send this steroid consuming kinda guys away from this
gym, they are ruining the machines AND atmosphere!"

Cracks him up all the time...

> Step four: ...

> Actually, I doubt anyone's made it much past that third step.

I did.

----
Pete

Pete
September 27th 06, 10:03 AM
"Shute" > schreef:

> Who knows. My muscles do stay a little pumped throughout the
> following day. Not as much as directly after or that night. I guess
> that is one reason I like to lift weights. I like that feeling.

Thats a good thing.

----
Pete

Curt James
September 28th 06, 02:11 AM
Pete wrote:
> "Curt James" schreef:
>
> >> First thing that comes to mind are steroids.
>
> > I'll take your word for it, Pete, but wouldn't a vascular
> > look also indicate a low percentage of bodyfat?
>
> Sure.
> But i suspect that the increased blood volume helps the
> veins to pop out which enhances the vascular look.
>
> > Their size along with low bf% would also offer that "stay
> > pumped" look, yes?
>
> Well, if you are big all the time, you look pumped all the time.

"DAMN YOU!" Uh, speaking for those who are small all the time, of
course.

> But from what OP wrote, i had the impression that they looked as if they had
> just worked out.
> Some people experience this with testosterone. I noticed a
> huge difference when i stacked the injecttables with the orals.
>
> Never felt so good in my life...
> And im sure that thousands of lurkers who read this, agree with me.
>
> Its not a coincedence that Deca/Anadrol is prescribed when there
> is severe anemia...
>
> > And some people have prominent veins while others just don't
> > regardless of their size.
>
> True.
> I have this "Arnold vein" on my uuper arms, which is visible even
> when i wake up. About 1/3 of an inch in diameter.
> It approaches half an inch after a solid workout. While on steroids,
> that is.
> But then again, i have this vein ever since i was 14, when i did curls with
> small dumbells for high reps, and did infinite amouts of reps with those
> "squeezers, to develop the forearms.

Interesting. A perhaps odd bit of trivia, a bodybuilding fan can
identify many bodybuilders simply by their unusual vein pattern. Mike
Mentzer's arms as one example. Paul Dillet's shoulders as another.
Boyer Coe's calves also work for that matter. And definitely Ronnie.

> My brother, about 4 years older and a terrific bench presser,
> never developed this kinda veins, no matter what he did...
> But his bodytype is more Endo/Mesomorph...

Can't develop veins that don't exist or that are buried within the
muscles?

> > In fact, I'd bet that Coleman's pronounced vascularity
> > is at least one factor in his many wins over Cutler (okay,
> > there's also Cutler's so-called hairstyle). Jay's arms just
> > don't have the pronounced veins that Coleman's possess.
>
> I think so.
> Having huge veins make the arms appear a lot more impressive.

Definitely.

> >> Ask them if they are on steroids.
>
> > Is that recommendation in that new fitness book I heard about, Pete?
>
> Hehehe...
> I was joking. I think YOU saw that ;-O

heh :oD

Joking? Noooooooo. I thought you were being entirely serious. ;o)

> ASKING som,ething that is a major NONO! Has to to gym
> etiquette. I usually see within a few seconds if someone uses
> or not. I have a trained eye for that.
>
> > What was the title, _How To Win Friends and Influence
> > People at the Gym_?
>
> How about "High on Androgens" and "Steroid Superman"?
> Or "Addisted to Testosterone"?

LMAO! You write the eBooks and I'll buy 'em, Pete!

> But i DO have this idea about writing a small boiok for several
> years now. But it will a sorta "no-nonsense" guide about lifting.
> It will be about traning. Not nutrution. Perhaps a *small* chapter
> about steroids.

And I'd definitely buy that one. I've already copy/pasted several of
your posts to txt files.

> But i will sure as hell try to blew a lot of myths.
> It there something like this out there?

That underground steroid book I've seen a million advertisements for,
but so far as the training part goes, I'd be interested in reading
whatever you have to write.

> > Step one: Find the biggest, most pumped and angry
> > looking mofo in the gym and ask him, "HEY, MEATHEAD!
> > ARE YOU ON THA 'ROIDS OR WHUT???!!!"
>
> Actually...
> You walk to biggest guy, and start some smalltalk.
> Then you start to complain about your training and progess.

Well, without a doctor's expertise in monitoring whatever would be wise
to monitor, I'll pass on that smalltalk. In a perfect world, of
course...

> > Step two: Look around the gym with an expression of
> > disgust and condescension and mutter, "This gym is
> > absolute **** compared to the LAST gym I worked
> > out at."
>
> Might work ;-O

Yeah, it might work... my way into an emergency room! OUCH!

[...]

> I sometimes walk to the gym owner, usually when its time
> to leave, and have this request; "Would be nice if you send
> this steroid consuming kinda guys away from this gym,
> they are ruining the machines AND atmosphere!"
>
> Cracks him up all the time...

:o) Cracked me up, too. The kettlebell post was a hoot, but this true
to life anecdote almost certainly puts the icing on the cake for your
being named winner of the September award for best humor.

> > Step four: ...
>
> > Actually, I doubt anyone's made it much past that third step.
>
> I did.

I'm sure you did!

--
Curt

Pete
September 28th 06, 12:18 PM
"Joe Humble" > schreef:

>>How do these other guys manage to stay pumped? Is this simply because
>>the dudes in question have been working out regularly for a *long* time
>>or are they doing a set of push ups prior to coming into the gym every
>>day?

> One thing about da juice is that you can get "pumped" climbing a
> flight of stairs or just flexing your arm a few times.

I can do that very well with my lower arms. I just squeeze my hands and make
a small motion in the wrist joint.

Or, after i pound away on the press machine, i do "laterals" without weight.

> I've known guys who have had to cut a workout short because the "pump"
> got painful.

A "priapism" in the muscles is one of the best sensations i ever
experienced.
I enjoy causing a "steric hindrance" by pumping a certain muscle before
working another.

Anyway, after 4-6 heavy sets on the low incline, i rest for about 5 minutes
before i go the pec machine. Instead of putting my elbows on the padding,
with the lower arms pointing to the ceiling, i grab the the padding with my
hands, and let the elbows stuck out as far to the side and back as possible.
Then i do 3 sets of 12.

The 4th set, is done without counting, and up to the point of complete
paralyzation.
Then i went to the pully, for some wide grip pulldowns, and noticed that i
couldnt move the weight.
I actually got stuck by the pecs, who were hard as a rock and saturated with
blood.

Great feeling...

----
Pete