PDA

View Full Version : Re: Military Presses

Bully
September 28th 06, 06:12 AM
Shute wrote:
> I started working out at a new gym. My old gym had a nice Hammer
> Stretch machine I could load up with weights and do military presses
> on. I could also rig up something with free weights using the squat
> rack if I wanted too.
>
> I thought this new place had the same thing. But it turns out it is a
> behind the head press instead of in front. All the guys I used to
> work out with says this messes up the rotator cuffs. When I looked
> around the only other thing they had was a bench with the barbell
> overhead. Except the weight is so high up you need a spotter to move
> the weight into position. The gym guy mentioned the smith machine but
> that has its own issues with moving the weight in the right direction.
>
> So any ideas what to do now. Should I live with the behind the head
> press? Should I switch over to barbells? Or should I just come up
> with something else for shoulder work.

Dumbbell press?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Bully
September 28th 06, 09:08 AM
Shute wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:12:56 +0100, "Bully"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dumbbell press?
>
> You can mimic the military press with dumbbells. I haven't tried it
> but the guy beside me was doing it today. He had a spotter and was
> using a really lot of weight. He just sat down onto a flat bench and
> pressed them up over his head.
>
> The problem is getting the heavy weight into position.

Well, it's not a problem, it's a challenge. Treat it as part of the
exericise.

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jason Earl
September 28th 06, 03:19 PM
Shute > writes:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:12:56 +0100, "Bully"
> > wrote:
>
>>Dumbbell press?
>
> You can mimic the military press with dumbbells. I haven't tried it
> but the guy beside me was doing it today. He had a spotter and was
> using a really lot of weight. He just sat down onto a flat bench
> and pressed them up over his head.
>
> The problem is getting the heavy weight into position. Using a
> barbell and rack makes the start and finish movements a lot easier.

If you can press more than you can clean, then you really need to work
on cleans.

Jason

Bully
September 28th 06, 03:57 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> Shute > writes:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:12:56 +0100, "Bully"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Dumbbell press?
>>
>> You can mimic the military press with dumbbells. I haven't tried it
>> but the guy beside me was doing it today. He had a spotter and was
>> using a really lot of weight. He just sat down onto a flat bench
>> and pressed them up over his head.
>>
>> The problem is getting the heavy weight into position. Using a
>> barbell and rack makes the start and finish movements a lot easier.
>
> If you can press more than you can clean, then you really need to work
> on cleans.
>
> Jason

I struggle to clean 40kg d/bells but I can press them, erm, well a bit
easier than I can clean them. Bear in mind this is a seated clean!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jason Earl
September 28th 06, 06:36 PM
"Bully" > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>> Shute > writes:
>>
>>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:12:56 +0100, "Bully"

>>> You can mimic the military press with dumbbells. I haven't tried it
>>> but the guy beside me was doing it today. He had a spotter and was
>>> using a really lot of weight. He just sat down onto a flat bench
>>> and pressed them up over his head.
>>>
>>> The problem is getting the heavy weight into position. Using a
>>> barbell and rack makes the start and finish movements a lot easier.
>>
>> If you can press more than you can clean, then you really need to work
>> on cleans.
>>
>> Jason
>
> I struggle to clean 40kg d/bells but I can press them, erm, well a
> bit easier than I can clean them. Bear in mind this is a seated
> clean!

Well then, stand up. You are working out, not lounging around.
You'll find that the dumbbells are much easier to clean if you can use
your legs. Sitting down you are essentially curling the weights up.

Alternatively, if you are using dumbbells then you have the option of
doing your presses one arm at a time.

Of course, you probably know all of this. Either way, my point still
stands. If you can press more than you can clean then you need to
work on cleans for a bit.

Jason

Bully
September 28th 06, 07:09 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> "Bully" > writes:
>
>> Jason Earl wrote:

>>> If you can press more than you can clean, then you really need to
>>> work on cleans.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> I struggle to clean 40kg d/bells but I can press them, erm, well a
>> bit easier than I can clean them. Bear in mind this is a seated
>> clean!
>
> Well then, stand up. You are working out, not lounging around.
> You'll find that the dumbbells are much easier to clean if you can use
> your legs. Sitting down you are essentially curling the weights up.
>
> Alternatively, if you are using dumbbells then you have the option of
> doing your presses one arm at a time.
>
> Of course, you probably know all of this. Either way, my point still
> stands. If you can press more than you can clean then you need to
> work on cleans for a bit.

The above does NOT appy if they're seated cleans!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jason Earl
September 28th 06, 07:20 PM
"Bully" > writes:

> Jason Earl wrote:

-snip-

>> Of course, you probably know all of this. Either way, my point
>> still stands. If you can press more than you can clean then you
>> need to work on cleans for a bit.
>
> The above does NOT appy if they're seated cleans!

It doesn't apply if they are seated bulgarian wobble-board chop
thrusts either, even if you call said exercise a "clean." A "seated"
clean has almost nothing in common with a clean. If you can't use
your legs its more of a cheat curl than a clean.

Next thing you'll be talking about "prone cleans" where you lie down
on the ground and "clean" the weight to your shoulder. If you are not
standing, it is not a clean.

Jason

Bully
September 28th 06, 07:27 PM
Jason Earl wrote:
> "Bully" > writes:
>
>> Jason Earl wrote:
>
> -snip-
>
>>> Of course, you probably know all of this. Either way, my point
>>> still stands. If you can press more than you can clean then you
>>> need to work on cleans for a bit.
>>
>> The above does NOT appy if they're seated cleans!
>
> It doesn't apply if they are seated bulgarian wobble-board chop
> thrusts either, even if you call said exercise a "clean." A "seated"
> clean has almost nothing in common with a clean. If you can't use
> your legs its more of a cheat curl than a clean.
>
> Next thing you'll be talking about "prone cleans" where you lie down
> on the ground and "clean" the weight to your shoulder. If you are not
> standing, it is not a clean.
>
> Jason

What's your point?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Steve Freides
September 28th 06, 09:17 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> Jason Earl wrote:
>> "Bully" > writes:
>>
>>> Jason Earl wrote:
>>
>> -snip-

>>> The above does NOT appy if they're seated cleans!
>>
>> It doesn't apply if they are seated bulgarian wobble-board chop
>> thrusts either, even if you call said exercise a "clean." A "seated"
>> clean has almost nothing in common with a clean. If you can't use
>> your legs its more of a cheat curl than a clean.
>>
>> Next thing you'll be talking about "prone cleans" where you lie down
>> on the ground and "clean" the weight to your shoulder. If you are
>> not
>> standing, it is not a clean.
>>
>> Jason
>
> What's your point?

Have to agree w/ Bully that, once he said they were seated cleans,
that's good enough. A clean just refers to bringing the weight to the
racked position in one clean movement, and a seated clean, while a bit
strange, really couldn't be called much else, IMHO. If Bully is doing
seated cleans w/ 40 kg then pressing them, he's a pretty strong customer
in my book.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Bully
September 29th 06, 05:31 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> Jason Earl wrote:

>>> -snip-

>>> It doesn't apply if they are seated bulgarian wobble-board chop
>>> thrusts either, even if you call said exercise a "clean." A
>>> "seated" clean has almost nothing in common with a clean. If you
>>> can't use your legs its more of a cheat curl than a clean.
>>>
>>> Next thing you'll be talking about "prone cleans" where you lie down
>>> on the ground and "clean" the weight to your shoulder. If you are
>>> not
>>> standing, it is not a clean.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> What's your point?
>
> Have to agree w/ Bully that, once he said they were seated cleans,
> that's good enough. A clean just refers to bringing the weight to the
> racked position in one clean movement, and a seated clean, while a bit
> strange, really couldn't be called much else, IMHO. If Bully is doing
> seated cleans w/ 40 kg then pressing them, he's a pretty strong
> customer in my book.
>
> -S-
> http://www.kbnj.com

I'm inclined to agree with Steve on all accounts ;) !!!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 29th 06, 06:44 AM
"Bully" > schreef:

>> A clean just refers to bringing the weight to the
>> racked position in one clean movement, and a seated clean, while a bit
>> strange, really couldn't be called much else, IMHO. If Bully is doing
>> seated cleans w/ 40 kg then pressing them, he's a pretty strong
>> customer in my book.

> I'm inclined to agree with Steve on all accounts ;) !!!

I am with Jason on this one.

A clean refers to a movement where you bring the bar to the shoulders, from
the ground, in a standing position.

Ask any weightlifter...

----
Pete

Bully
September 29th 06, 07:37 AM
Pete wrote:
> "Bully" > schreef:
>
>>> A clean just refers to bringing the weight to the
>>> racked position in one clean movement, and a seated clean, while a
>>> bit strange, really couldn't be called much else, IMHO. If Bully
>>> is doing seated cleans w/ 40 kg then pressing them, he's a pretty
>>> strong customer in my book.
>
>> I'm inclined to agree with Steve on all accounts ;) !!!
>
> I am with Jason on this one.

As you are entitled to be!

> A clean refers to a movement where you bring the bar to the
> shoulders, from the ground, in a standing position.
>
> Ask any weightlifter...

I lift weights; I am, therefore, a weightlifter.

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 29th 06, 08:10 AM
"Bully" > schreef:

>>> I'm inclined to agree with Steve on all accounts ;) !!!

>> I am with Jason on this one.

> As you are entitled to be!

Thank you.

>> A clean refers to a movement where you bring the bar to the
>> shoulders, from the ground, in a standing position.

>> Ask any weightlifter...

> I lift weights; I am, therefore, a weightlifter.

Hmmm.
So, bodybuilders and powerlifters are, actually, ALL weightlifters?

----
Pete

Bully
September 29th 06, 08:58 AM

Shut up. http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/lift/lift00.htm

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Pete
September 29th 06, 09:31 AM
"Bully" > schreef:

>>> I lift weights; I am, therefore, a weightlifter.

>> Hmmm.
>> So, bodybuilders and powerlifters are, actually, ALL weightlifters?

> Shut up.

Hey, thats all you had to say!

----
Pete

Jason Earl
September 29th 06, 07:29 PM
"Steve Freides" > writes:

> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> Jason Earl wrote:

>>> -snip-

>>> It doesn't apply if they are seated bulgarian wobble-board chop
>>> thrusts either, even if you call said exercise a "clean." A "seated"
>>> clean has almost nothing in common with a clean. If you can't use
>>> your legs its more of a cheat curl than a clean.
>>>
>>> Next thing you'll be talking about "prone cleans" where you lie down
>>> on the ground and "clean" the weight to your shoulder. If you are
>>> not
>>> standing, it is not a clean.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> What's your point?
>
> Have to agree w/ Bully that, once he said they were seated cleans,
> that's good enough. A clean just refers to bringing the weight to the
> racked position in one clean movement, and a seated clean, while a bit
> strange, really couldn't be called much else, IMHO. If Bully is doing
> seated cleans w/ 40 kg then pressing them, he's a pretty strong customer
> in my book.

I agree with you that Bully is strong. I don't agree that an exercise
called a "seated clean" makes any sense. What Bully is doing is a
seated cheat curl (or something). A seated clean makes as much sense
as a seated long jump. I have no idea what you are doing, but it
ain't no clean.

Let's go over this again.

Jason: If you can't clean more than you press then you need to do more
cleans.

Bully: What about seated cleans?

Jason: What? Who said anything about seated cleans? I don't see how
you can do a clean while seated, but even if you could I am not
talking about seated cleans, prone cleans, underwater cleans,
zero-gravity cleans, or green jean cleans. To further clarify
I am talking about the military press, not the bent press, side
press, Arnold press, or permanent press. Once again, if you
can't clean more than you can press you need to work on your
clean.

Thank you.

Steve Freides
September 29th 06, 10:33 PM
"Shute" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:29:25 -0600, Jason Earl >
> wrote:
>
>>I agree with you that Bully is strong. I don't agree that an exercise
>>called a "seated clean" makes any sense. What Bully is doing is a
>>seated cheat curl (or something). A seated clean makes as much sense
>>as a seated long jump. I have no idea what you are doing, but it
>>ain't no clean.
>>
>>Let's go over this again.
>>
>>Jason: If you can't clean more than you press then you need to do more
>> cleans.
>>
>>Bully: What about seated cleans?
>>
>>Jason: What? Who said anything about seated cleans? I don't see how
>> you can do a clean while seated, but even if you could I am not
>> talking about seated cleans, prone cleans, underwater cleans,
>> zero-gravity cleans, or green jean cleans. To further clarify
>> I am talking about the military press, not the bent press, side
>> press, Arnold press, or permanent press. Once again, if you
>> can't clean more than you can press you need to work on your
>> clean.
>>
>>Thank you.
>
> I suspect a single hammer curl would be the best thing to get the
> weight into position. It wouldn't make sense to do them on every
> press.

What would make more sense, IMHO, is to switch to standing presses, in which
case the weights _could_ be cleaned first.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl
September 30th 06, 02:37 AM
"Steve Freides" > writes:

> "Shute" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:29:25 -0600, Jason Earl >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I agree with you that Bully is strong. I don't agree that an exercise
>>>called a "seated clean" makes any sense. What Bully is doing is a
>>>seated cheat curl (or something). A seated clean makes as much sense
>>>as a seated long jump. I have no idea what you are doing, but it
>>>ain't no clean.
>>>
>>>Let's go over this again.
>>>
>>>Jason: If you can't clean more than you press then you need to do more
>>> cleans.
>>>
>>>Bully: What about seated cleans?
>>>
>>>Jason: What? Who said anything about seated cleans? I don't see how
>>> you can do a clean while seated, but even if you could I am not
>>> talking about seated cleans, prone cleans, underwater cleans,
>>> zero-gravity cleans, or green jean cleans. To further clarify
>>> I am talking about the military press, not the bent press, side
>>> press, Arnold press, or permanent press. Once again, if you
>>> can't clean more than you can press you need to work on your
>>> clean.
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>
>> I suspect a single hammer curl would be the best thing to get the
>> weight into position. It wouldn't make sense to do them on every
>> press.
>
> What would make more sense, IMHO, is to switch to standing presses,
> in which case the weights _could_ be cleaned first.

That was my first comment. Why sit when you can stand? You're
exercising, after all, not lounging around.

Jason

Steve Freides
September 30th 06, 03:29 AM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" > writes:
>
>> "Shute" > wrote in message

>>> I suspect a single hammer curl would be the best thing to get the
>>> weight into position. It wouldn't make sense to do them on every
>>> press.
>>
>> What would make more sense, IMHO, is to switch to standing presses,
>> in which case the weights _could_ be cleaned first.
>
> That was my first comment. Why sit when you can stand? You're
> exercising, after all, not lounging around.

Reminds me of the people who take the elevator to the 2nd floor gym at
my Y then get on the stair stepper machine.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> Jason

Jason Earl
September 30th 06, 04:05 AM
"Steve Freides" > writes:
> "Jason Earl" > wrote in message

-snip-

>> That was my first comment. Why sit when you can stand? You're
>> exercising, after all, not lounging around.
>
> Reminds me of the people who take the elevator to the 2nd floor gym
> at my Y then get on the stair stepper machine.

People that drive to a gym to use a stair stepper machine mystify me.
Part of the reason that I have a gym in my basement is that I found I
had trouble getting motivated enough to exercise if I had to drive
across town. Folks that are willing to drive somewhere so that they
can *walk* are just strange. It doesn't surprise me at all that such
people would use the elevator instead of "real" stairs.

Jason

Pete
September 30th 06, 03:24 PM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

> Why sit when you can stand?

Ah, well... eh...

> You're exercising, after all, not lounging around.

Isnt there some middle ground between exercising and lounging?

Why is everything a black or white issue for you ?!?!?!

----
Pete

P.S. just ignore me, i have a surplus of "energy drinks" in the fridge these
days... ;-O

Pete
September 30th 06, 03:26 PM
"Steve Freides" > schreef:

> Reminds me of the people who take the elevator to the 2nd floor gym at my
> Y then get on the stair stepper machine.

Makes sense to me.

Less energy spend on the stairs means more energy to spend on the stepper
machine.
Yes, makes a lot of sense. I would do exactly the same.

----
Pete

Pete
September 30th 06, 04:30 PM
"Jason Earl" > schreef:

> People that drive to a gym to use a stair stepper machine mystify me.
> Part of the reason that I have a gym in my basement is that I found I
> had trouble getting motivated enough to exercise if I had to drive
> across town. Folks that are willing to drive somewhere so that they
> can *walk* are just strange. It doesn't surprise me at all that such
> people would use the elevator instead of "real" stairs.

You know what mystifies me?

In my gym, where most the equipment is kinda old, there are a bunch of
people who NEVER have any results worth speaking of, HATE to work out, HATE
to eat the "'right" foods, and yet, they PAY the gym owner 45 Euros (about
60 dollars) EACH and every month, year IN, year OUT.

Sometimes they walk up to me, asking for tips to get, you know, "big."

I DO tell them, at first, to eat more and dont spend so much time in the
gym.

And if that doesnt work, inject a ****pile of steroids...
I mean, year in, year out, the same people asking the same questions. And
yet they never bother to do their "homework."

For myself, i always leave the gym happy, with a smile on my face.
I suspect that the adrenaline, endorphines and the fact that i am quite
pumped, is signaling my brain some message that brings me in a good mood or
something.

I wont even mention how i feel in week 4-8 during a cycle, or the weeks
following...
I give a whole new meaning to the the term "hapiness."

----
Pete

Jason Earl
September 30th 06, 09:48 PM
"Pete" > writes:

> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
>> Why sit when you can stand?
>
> Ah, well... eh...

And as long as you are up, you should try some cleans and presses.

>> You're exercising, after all, not lounging around.
>
> Isnt there some middle ground between exercising and lounging?

Yes, you can use the Smith machine.

> Why is everything a black or white issue for you ?!?!?!

I'm color blind.

Jason

Jason Earl
September 30th 06, 10:02 PM
"Pete" > writes:

> "Jason Earl" > schreef:
>
>> People that drive to a gym to use a stair stepper machine mystify
>> me. Part of the reason that I have a gym in my basement is that I
>> found I had trouble getting motivated enough to exercise if I had
>> to drive across town. Folks that are willing to drive somewhere so
>> that they can *walk* are just strange. It doesn't surprise me at
>> all that such people would use the elevator instead of "real"
>> stairs.
>
> You know what mystifies me?
>
> In my gym, where most the equipment is kinda old, there are a bunch
> of people who NEVER have any results worth speaking of, HATE to work
> out, HATE to eat the "'right" foods, and yet, they PAY the gym owner
> 45 Euros (about 60 dollars) EACH and every month, year IN, year OUT.

Yeah, that's even weirder... There really are a lot of people that
seem to be willing to pay good money for a place where they *aren't*
going to work out.

> Sometimes they walk up to me, asking for tips to get, you know,
> "big."

I wish that I would have asked more questions when I was first
starting to exercise regularly. The more I work out the more I
realize how clueless I am.

> I DO tell them, at first, to eat more and dont spend so much time in
> the gym.

When my friends come up to me and ask me about starting to exercise I
invariably tell them to relax.

> And if that doesnt work, inject a ****pile of steroids... I mean,
> year in, year out, the same people asking the same questions. And
> yet they never bother to do their "homework."

Sometimes it is difficult to know where to start.

> For myself, i always leave the gym happy, with a smile on my face.
> I suspect that the adrenaline, endorphines and the fact that i am
> quite pumped, is signaling my brain some message that brings me in a
> good mood or something.

I do too, now that exercise has become a part of my life. However, I
still remember very well how I felt when I started. I felt horrible
and I hated exercise. If it hadn't been for my uncle telling me that
I would never exercise regularly I don't think that I would have had
the will to stick with it.

> I wont even mention how i feel in week 4-8 during a cycle, or the
> weeks following... I give a whole new meaning to the the term
> "hapiness."

I have to admit that sometimes I find myself becoming curious about
AAS.

Jason