PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have this problem?

Stu
September 29th 06, 06:20 AM
If I grip the bar with it against my palm, then it squeezes the skin
between there and my fingers, which is where calluses form... If I put
the bar on the other side of the calluses, ie against the base of my
fingers, then it makes the bar too thick and my grip is weaker.

I have no problem with getting callused hands, but it does kinda put a
dampener on the rest of your back workout when you rip one of them off
and your hand starts bleeding. Did it AGAIN last night. Maybe I just
need to rub them down every now and then so they don't become a
problem.

FWIW I use chalk, hate gloves, and only use wrist straps when needed.

Is it just me?

Stu

Pete
September 29th 06, 07:00 AM
"Stu" > schreef:

> FWIW I use chalk, hate gloves, and only use wrist straps when needed.
> Is it just me?

Yeah, its you.

----
Pete

Brandon Berg
September 29th 06, 08:08 AM
"Stu" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> If I grip the bar with it against my palm, then it squeezes the skin
> between there and my fingers, which is where calluses form... If I put
> the bar on the other side of the calluses, ie against the base of my
> fingers, then it makes the bar too thick and my grip is weaker.
>
> I have no problem with getting callused hands, but it does kinda put a
> dampener on the rest of your back workout when you rip one of them off
> and your hand starts bleeding. Did it AGAIN last night. Maybe I just
> need to rub them down every now and then so they don't become a
> problem.

Before they tear and start bleeding, do your calluses kind of fold up under
the weight of the bar, the way a piece of paper folds up if you lay it flat
on a table and try to push the edges together? When this happens to me, I
flatten them back out by squeezing a bar.

--
Brandon Berg
Fix the obvious homonym substitution to reply.

Stu
September 29th 06, 08:41 AM
Brandon Berg wrote:
> Before they tear and start bleeding, do your calluses kind of fold up under
> the weight of the bar, the way a piece of paper folds up if you lay it flat
> on a table and try to push the edges together? When this happens to me, I
> flatten them back out by squeezing a bar.

Yeah... they get squashed. Flattening them back out doesn't help though
because the next heavy set squashes them again, and sometimes tears,
maybe because they've become weakened. Or maybe as Pete pointed out
it's just me ;-)

Stu

Curt James
September 29th 06, 11:41 AM
Stu wrote:
> If I grip the bar with it against my palm, then it squeezes the skin
> between there and my fingers, which is where calluses form... If I put
> the bar on the other side of the calluses, ie against the base of my
> fingers, then it makes the bar too thick and my grip is weaker.
>
> I have no problem with getting callused hands, but it does kinda put a
> dampener on the rest of your back workout when you rip one of them off
> and your hand starts bleeding. Did it AGAIN last night. Maybe I just
> need to rub them down every now and then so they don't become a
> problem.
>
> FWIW I use chalk, hate gloves, and only use wrist straps when needed.
[...]

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Well, don't do this."

Was deadlifting last night. Completed 295 lbs. for five sets of 3 reps.
After the third set of 3 I looked at my palms and noticed what you
describe. At least the "squeezes the skin" part. Thought briefly,
"that's gonna tear. Not a good thing." Fortunately, I was using a
reverse grip and as I alternated the palms during each additional set
(or reversed my reverse grip) my calluses were hit from a different
direction and didn't tear.

Anywhoooo, given a choice between "you rip one of them off and your
hand starts bleeding" and positioning my hands so that "it makes the
bar too thick and my grip is weaker," well, I'll go with the latter
option and finish the workout without the torn flesh. I mean, I can
improve my grip strength, right?

So I'll side with the doctor above: "Well don't do this."

(It's not just you. But, yeah, I've never torn a callus. I have,
however, scraped a shin during deads. Solution: Wear sweat pants.)

Best of luck, Stu.

--
Curt

Hobbes
September 29th 06, 01:07 PM
In article om>,
"Stu" > wrote:

> If I grip the bar with it against my palm, then it squeezes the skin
> between there and my fingers, which is where calluses form... If I put
> the bar on the other side of the calluses, ie against the base of my
> fingers, then it makes the bar too thick and my grip is weaker.
>
> I have no problem with getting callused hands, but it does kinda put a
> dampener on the rest of your back workout when you rip one of them off
> and your hand starts bleeding. Did it AGAIN last night. Maybe I just
> need to rub them down every now and then so they don't become a
> problem.
>
> FWIW I use chalk, hate gloves, and only use wrist straps when needed.
>
> Is it just me?

I use a half round file and file them down every once in a while.

--
Keith

Pete
September 29th 06, 01:22 PM
"Hobbes" > schreef:

>> Is it just me?

> I use a half round file and file them down every once in a while.

Which probably explains why your hands are so eh... nice and soft...

----
Pete

Hobbes
September 29th 06, 01:49 PM
In article >,
"Pete" > wrote:

> "Hobbes" > schreef:
>
> >> Is it just me?
>
> > I use a half round file and file them down every once in a while.
>
> Which probably explains why your hands are so eh... nice and soft...

The ladies love a little bit of rough massage, Pete.

:^)

--
Keith

Steve Freides
September 29th 06, 02:35 PM
"Stu" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> If I grip the bar with it against my palm, then it squeezes the skin
> between there and my fingers, which is where calluses form... If I put
> the bar on the other side of the calluses, ie against the base of my
> fingers, then it makes the bar too thick and my grip is weaker.
>
> I have no problem with getting callused hands, but it does kinda put a
> dampener on the rest of your back workout when you rip one of them off
> and your hand starts bleeding. Did it AGAIN last night. Maybe I just
> need to rub them down every now and then so they don't become a
> problem.
>
> FWIW I use chalk, hate gloves, and only use wrist straps when needed.
>
> Is it just me?

What Keith said. If you talk to Girevoy Sport folks, you'll find many
of them spend a fair amount of energy on caring for their calluses. If
I remember correctly, the general feeling is to file them down when they
get too big, and that after a shower is a good time because they're soft
and won't tear.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Fraser Johnston
September 29th 06, 03:01 PM
"Stu" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> If I grip the bar with it against my palm, then it squeezes the skin
> between there and my fingers, which is where calluses form... If I put
> the bar on the other side of the calluses, ie against the base of my
> fingers, then it makes the bar too thick and my grip is weaker.
>
> I have no problem with getting callused hands, but it does kinda put a
> dampener on the rest of your back workout when you rip one of them off
> and your hand starts bleeding. Did it AGAIN last night. Maybe I just
> need to rub them down every now and then so they don't become a
> problem.
>
> FWIW I use chalk, hate gloves, and only use wrist straps when needed.
>
> Is it just me?

I've been wearing gloves and I'm still getting calluses. I just chop em off
with a razor blade when they get too big.

Fraser

lifterwench
September 29th 06, 11:25 PM
"Hobbes" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> > > I use a half round file and file them down every once in a while.
> >
> > Which probably explains why your hands are so eh... nice and soft...
> >

> The ladies love a little bit of rough massage, Pete.
>
> :^)
>
> --
> Keith

That all depends on what parts you are massaging.

mike
September 30th 06, 06:40 PM
"lifterwench" > wrote in message

> "Hobbes" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> > > Which probably explains why your hands are so eh... nice and soft...
> > >

> > The ladies love a little bit of rough massage, Pete.
> >
> > :^)
> >
> > --
> > Keith
>
> That all depends on what parts you are massaging.

And what you are using to massage her....:)

lifterwench
October 1st 06, 12:58 PM
"mike" > wrote in message

> "lifterwench" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Hobbes" > wrote in message

> > > The ladies love a little bit of rough massage, Pete.
> > >
> > > :^)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Keith
> >
> > That all depends on what parts you are massaging.

> And what you are using to massage her....:)

I thought we were talking about calluses from lifting, where else would one
get them besides their hands? ;)