PDA

View Full Version : hypoglycemia + dieting

Matt
September 30th 06, 12:48 AM
Hey, been dieting lately - trying to get leaner, but I have
hypoglycemia, which makes it difficult. Basically my blood sugar is
wack and I have to eat every few hours or I start to feel ill. Being
forced to eat (even though I am eating quality food and snacks) kind of
screws up the whole calorie deficit thing.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem and how they
overcame it.

-Matt

David
September 30th 06, 06:57 AM
"Matt" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hey, been dieting lately - trying to get leaner, but I have
> hypoglycemia, which makes it difficult. Basically my blood sugar is
> wack and I have to eat every few hours or I start to feel ill. Being
> forced to eat (even though I am eating quality food and snacks) kind of
> screws up the whole calorie deficit thing.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem and how they
> overcame it.
>
> -Matt

Do you use a glucometer to check your blood sugar? What is your reading say
3 hours after a meal?

Roger Zoul
September 30th 06, 09:13 PM
Matt wrote:
:: Hey, been dieting lately - trying to get leaner, but I have
:: hypoglycemia, which makes it difficult. Basically my blood sugar is
:: wack and I have to eat every few hours or I start to feel ill. Being
:: forced to eat (even though I am eating quality food and snacks) kind
:: of screws up the whole calorie deficit thing.

What kind of diet do you follow? Are you doing any exercise? Are you
overweight and/or diabetic, or do you have reactive hypogylcemia?

Eating every few hours doesn't have to lead to no deficit. Again, what and
how much are you eating? Have you tried more frequent, smaller meals? And
are you counting calories and carbs and spreading them out careful in accord
with your BG?

::
:: I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem and how they
:: overcame it.
::
:: -Matt

Tom Anderson
October 2nd 06, 11:06 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2006, Matt wrote:

> Hey, been dieting lately - trying to get leaner, but I have
> hypoglycemia, which makes it difficult. Basically my blood sugar is wack
> and I have to eat every few hours or I start to feel ill. Being forced
> to eat (even though I am eating quality food and snacks) kind of screws
> up the whole calorie deficit thing.

How about some really complex carbohydrates, that will keep your blood
glucose levels stable for a long time? I understand oats are good. Add a
load of fine oatmeal to your post-workout shake, maybe.

tom

--
The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead
channel

ATP*
October 3rd 06, 01:17 AM
"Tom Anderson" > wrote in message
h.li...
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2006, Matt wrote:
>
>> Hey, been dieting lately - trying to get leaner, but I have hypoglycemia,
>> which makes it difficult. Basically my blood sugar is wack and I have to
>> eat every few hours or I start to feel ill. Being forced to eat (even
>> though I am eating quality food and snacks) kind of screws up the whole
>> calorie deficit thing.
>
> How about some really complex carbohydrates, that will keep your blood
> glucose levels stable for a long time? I understand oats are good. Add a
> load of fine oatmeal to your post-workout shake, maybe.

Slow-cooked Irish Oatmeal is the best tasting and lowest GI oatmeal.
Post-workout isn't when you should be looking for low glycemic foods,
however.

Sammy Shuford
January 3rd 07, 12:21 AM
OK, here comes the slams from those not informed.

Go low carbrohydate. (yes, Atkin's).

Eating sugars drive up blood glucose, insulin cuts in and over does it. You
go low. Avoid the swings by eating low carb.

Check Lyle McDonald, (google him) he wrote the BOOK on low carb dieting and
weight training.

--
God loves you, and God loves me;
Even if i do cause His Overtime