PDA

View Full Version : Need cheap rubber floormats

October 2nd 06, 07:31 PM
Hi,
I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?

Lee Michaels
October 2nd 06, 07:35 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
> I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
> rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
> theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?

Horse mats are much cheaper.

Some of the gym equipment stores are starting to sell these mats.

David Cohen
October 2nd 06, 07:47 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote
> > wrote
>> Hi,
>> I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
>> rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
>> theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?
>>

> Horse mats are much cheaper.
>
> Some of the gym equipment stores are starting to sell these mats.

At a premium, I'm sure. Much cheaper to actually go to the feed and tack
store and buy them.

And while there, one can pick up some fly repellant and a nice hoof pick.

David

October 3rd 06, 12:51 AM
If you haven't tried Craigslist, I would post an item wanted ad and
search the areas close to you. I buy everything from craigslist, my
car, furniture, clothes and tons of sporting equipment.

wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
> rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
> theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?

Stu
October 3rd 06, 02:48 AM
wrote:
> I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
> rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
> theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?

Try looking into conveyor belt recyclers. Less convenient because they
come in long strips not nice square tiles, and harder to cut... but
cheaper.

Cheers,
Stu

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 3rd 06, 03:12 AM
In article om>,
wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
> rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
> theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?

Foaling/livestock mats from the livestock supply stores.

Tractor supply carries them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

ATP*
October 3rd 06, 05:59 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Lee Michaels" > wrote
>> > wrote
>>> Hi,
>>> I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
>>> rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
>>> theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?
>>>

>> Horse mats are much cheaper.
>>
>> Some of the gym equipment stores are starting to sell these mats.
>
> At a premium, I'm sure. Much cheaper to actually go to the feed and tack
> store and buy them.

You can sometimes pick them up used at the stables.

Steve Freides
October 3rd 06, 06:37 PM
"ATP*" > wrote in message

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "Lee Michaels" > wrote
>>>>

>>> Horse mats are much cheaper.
>>>
>>> Some of the gym equipment stores are starting to sell these mats.
>>
>> At a premium, I'm sure. Much cheaper to actually go to the feed and
>> tack store and buy them.
>>
> You can sometimes pick them up used at the stables.

Have your or has anyone used these? I imagine they might be pretty
smelly but honestly don't know. They're cheap enough new at a farm
supply store, about $40 for a 4' x 6' x 3/4" mat the last time I bought
one a couple of years ago.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl
October 3rd 06, 06:40 PM
"ATP*" > writes:

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> "Lee Michaels" > wrote
>>>>

>>> Horse mats are much cheaper.
>>>
>>> Some of the gym equipment stores are starting to sell these mats.
>>
>> At a premium, I'm sure. Much cheaper to actually go to the feed and
>> tack store and buy them.
>>
> You can sometimes pick them up used at the stables.

I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.

Jason

Lee Michaels
October 3rd 06, 06:49 PM
"Jason Earl" wrote

> I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
> draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
> new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.

You must be one of those sissified, pussy metrosexuals.

Steve Freides
October 3rd 06, 07:36 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jason Earl" wrote
>>
>> I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
>> draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
>> new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.
>>
> You must be one of those sissified, pussy metrosexuals.

Maybe the stable line was a joke ...

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl
October 3rd 06, 07:38 PM
"Lee Michaels" > writes:

> "Jason Earl" wrote
>>
>> I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
>> draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
>> new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.
>>
> You must be one of those sissified, pussy metrosexuals.

I think I would rather live with the smell of horse **** than be a
metrosexual.

Jason

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 3rd 06, 07:49 PM
In article >,
"Lee Michaels" > wrote:

> "Jason Earl" wrote
> >
> > I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
> > draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
> > new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.
> >
> You must be one of those sissified, pussy metrosexuals.

Yeah! What's wrong with the smell of pre-digested alfalfa????? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

David Cohen
October 3rd 06, 08:54 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote
> "ATP*" > writes:
>> "David Cohen" > wrote >>>
>>> "Lee Michaels" > wrote

>>> At a premium, I'm sure. Much cheaper to actually go to the feed and
>>> tack store and buy them.
>>>
>> You can sometimes pick them up used at the stables.
>
> I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
> draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
> new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.

I'm the opposite (or would that be reverse, or obverse, or...).

I prefer the smell of horse **** to the smell of new rubber (at least the
kind of rubber used in the horse mats).

When I buy new horse stall mats for indoor use, I spray them down with
Febreze odor neutralizer and let them sit out in the sun and wind for a few
days.

Is that metrosexual of me?

David

OmManiPadmeOmelet
October 3rd 06, 09:06 PM
In article et>,
"David Cohen" > wrote:

> "Jason Earl" > wrote
> > "ATP*" > writes:
> >> "David Cohen" > wrote >>>

> >> You can sometimes pick them up used at the stables.
> >
> > I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
> > draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
> > new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.
>
> I'm the opposite (or would that be reverse, or obverse, or...).
>
> I prefer the smell of horse **** to the smell of new rubber (at least the
> kind of rubber used in the horse mats).
>
> When I buy new horse stall mats for indoor use, I spray them down with
> Febreze odor neutralizer and let them sit out in the sun and wind for a few
> days.
>
> Is that metrosexual of me?
>
> David

Nah, practical!

I know what you mean...

Does Febreeze really work? I remember when Bobby first installed rubber
flooring at the gym.

It was hard to breathe in there for nearly a solid month!

Fortunately, it was fall so he kept the doors open...
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

David Cohen
October 4th 06, 12:14 AM
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:

>> > I don't mind the idea of *new* horse stall mats for my house, but I
>> > draw the line at *used* horse stall mats. I don't mind the smell of
>> > new rubber, I do mind the smell of horse ****.
>>
>> I'm the opposite (or would that be reverse, or obverse, or...).
>>
>> I prefer the smell of horse **** to the smell of new rubber (at least the
>> kind of rubber used in the horse mats).
>>
>> When I buy new horse stall mats for indoor use, I spray them down with
>> Febreze odor neutralizer and let them sit out in the sun and wind for a
>> few
>> days.
>>
>> Is that metrosexual of me?
>
> Nah, practical!
>
> I know what you mean...
>
> Does Febreeze really work?

Yes. Unlike most products that cover up odors, the active ingredient in
Febreze encapsulates the odor-producing molecules.

Hey, I sound like a commercial.

**** me, me low life spammer!

David

Steve Freides
October 4th 06, 02:45 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>> "David Cohen" > wrote:
>>> "Jason Earl" > wrote

>>> I'm the opposite (or would that be reverse, or obverse, or...).
>>>
>>> I prefer the smell of horse **** to the smell of new rubber (at
>>> least the
>>> kind of rubber used in the horse mats).
>>>
>>> When I buy new horse stall mats for indoor use, I spray them down
>>> with
>>> Febreze odor neutralizer and let them sit out in the sun and wind
>>> for a few
>>> days.
>>>
>>> Is that metrosexual of me?
>>
>> Nah, practical!
>>
>> I know what you mean...
>>
>> Does Febreeze really work?
>
> Yes. Unlike most products that cover up odors, the active ingredient
> in Febreze encapsulates the odor-producing molecules.
>
> Hey, I sound like a commercial.
>
> **** me, me low life spammer!

I always use Lysol spray, figuring that I ought to be trying to kill the
cause of odors, but in the case of rubber mats, I never really minded
the smell and it seemed to go away quickly enough on its own. We have
air filters on every floor of the house - maybe HEPA filters plus the
charcoal pre-filters do a decent job at eliminating odors like this.
And I've got a decent number of them, 7 or so, but they were added in
1's and 2's.

I've never used Febreeze and wouldn't have even known what it is except
for this thread.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David Cohen
October 4th 06, 03:10 AM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote

>>> Nah, practical!
>>>
>>> I know what you mean...
>>>
>>> Does Febreeze really work?
>>
>> Yes. Unlike most products that cover up odors, the active ingredient in
>> Febreze encapsulates the odor-producing molecules.
>>
>> Hey, I sound like a commercial.
>>
>> **** me, me low life spammer!
>
> I always use Lysol spray, figuring that I ought to be trying to kill the
> cause of odors,

If the source of the odor is alive, killing the source might work, but, with
rubber...

> but in the case of rubber mats, I never really minded the smell and it
> seemed to go away quickly enough on its own. We have air filters on every
> floor of the house - maybe HEPA filters plus the charcoal pre-filters do a
> decent job at eliminating odors like this. And I've got a decent number of
> them, 7 or so, but they were added in 1's and 2's.

Maybe different brands with different rubber. But I've smelled a lot of
different horse stall mats (the new ones) and to my nose, they all stink.
The rubber used in "real" gym rubber mats don't smell anywhere near the same
to me.

> I've never used Febreeze and wouldn't have even known what it is except
> for this thread.

It's good stuff. Actually works as advertised.

David

Middle D
October 4th 06, 06:07 PM
On 2 Oct 2006 11:31:04 -0700, wrote:

>Hi,
>I have some plates and barbells in my apt. I need to put down some
>rubber tiles like they have in gyms, but when I look at them on line
>theyre really expensive... does anyone have an affordable solution?

Tractor Supply (TSC) had stall mats on sale over Labor Day. They were
under $40 each. They may have been closer to $30.00; when they're not
on sale they're still under $40.00.

I paid over $50 a rubber mat at one of the gym stores -- before I
found the TSC mats. The stall mats are thicker.