PDA

View Full Version : Re: Supplement Advice

October 3rd 06, 03:24 AM
Shute wrote:
> I am rounding in on my target after dropping 40 pounds. I was
> thinking about supplements during my builk up plan since so many
> people seem to take them. I was in GNC and they got enough whey
> powder to fill my entire apartment so take it that is quite popular.
> So what works and what doesn't? Which ones have addictive qualities
> or side effects like drugs do? I take it alot of this stuff either
> does nothing or has a lot of negative effects on the body.
>
> The whey powder sounds like the most sensible thing to try first. Not
> really sure how much I need if I already eat a fair amount of meat.

JMW answers all the supplement questions in MFW.

Curt James
October 3rd 06, 04:09 AM
wrote:
[...]

> JMW answers all the supplement questions in MFW.

Um, with such a... low profile (what, 5'6" or so?) it's no surprise you
would /overlook/ Will Brink. ;o)

--
Curt

JMW
October 3rd 06, 06:14 AM
wrote:

>Shute wrote:
>> I am rounding in on my target after dropping 40 pounds. I was
>> thinking about supplements during my builk up plan since so many
>> people seem to take them. I was in GNC and they got enough whey
>> powder to fill my entire apartment so take it that is quite popular.
>> So what works and what doesn't? Which ones have addictive qualities
>> or side effects like drugs do? I take it alot of this stuff either
>> does nothing or has a lot of negative effects on the body.
>>
>> The whey powder sounds like the most sensible thing to try first. Not
>> really sure how much I need if I already eat a fair amount of meat.
>
>JMW answers all the supplement questions in MFW.

Well, I would recommend against whey protein. It's horribly
addictive. Have you ever seen protein addicts prostituting their own
children just for a quick whey fix? Sad, so very sad.

Pete
October 3rd 06, 10:49 AM
"JMW" > schreef:

> Well, I would recommend against whey protein. It's horribly
> addictive. Have you ever seen protein addicts prostituting their own
> children just for a quick whey fix? Sad, so very sad.

At least you are at liberty to buy it in the US.
Over here, Whey is banned substance...

I like to free-base some before i get to bed. Rumour has it, that Whitney
Houston does the same thing.

----
Pete

Pete
October 3rd 06, 11:00 AM
> schreef:

>> The whey powder sounds like the most sensible thing to try first. Not
>> really sure how much I need if I already eat a fair amount of meat.

> JMW answers all the supplement questions in MFW.

Thank God for that.

You want ME to do it?

----
Pete

Jason Earl
October 3rd 06, 05:02 PM
Shute > writes:

> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 01:14:44 -0400, JMW
> > wrote:
>
>>Well, I would recommend against whey protein. It's horribly
>>addictive. Have you ever seen protein addicts prostituting their
>>own children just for a quick whey fix? Sad, so very sad.
>
> You poke fun but people get addicted to over the counter products
> all the time. I knew a guy had a huge tube of Rolaids. He used to
> pop them like candy all day long. Of course the more he took them
> the more acid his body produced. My body reacts strongly to any
> product with drug like qualities. I have experienced something
> similar to the above scenario with certain herbs.

Comparing whey protein to Rolaids is like comparing Catholic nuns to
Mack trucks. There's probably a comparison in there somewhere, but
only a fool would base his nutritional plan around it.

Whey protein is just protein, people have consumed it since the
domestication of the cow. Whey protein is no more a drug than cottage
cheese or canned tuna. As a food source whey protein is inexpensive,
readily available, and fairly palatable.

You clearly don't have to take whey protein, but if you are going to
counsel others to avoid whey protein you should use an argument that
makes some sense.

Jason

Bully
October 4th 06, 08:45 AM
Shute wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:02:21 -0600, Jason Earl >
> wrote:
>
>> Comparing whey protein to Rolaids is like comparing Catholic nuns to
>> Mack trucks. There's probably a comparison in there somewhere, but
>> only a fool would base his nutritional plan around it.
>>
>> Whey protein is just protein, people have consumed it since the
>> domestication of the cow. Whey protein is no more a drug than
>> cottage cheese or canned tuna. As a food source whey protein is
>> inexpensive, readily available, and fairly palatable.
>>
>> You clearly don't have to take whey protein, but if you are going to
>> counsel others to avoid whey protein you should use an argument that
>> makes some sense.
>>
>> Jason
>
> I think you are way off base here. My original post was asking about
> any kind of supplement. Whey protein isn't going to be harmful unless
> I overdose on it or they do something crazy in their manufacturing.
> That is why I said it was safe to try first. I don't even know what
> is out there for other supplements so I cannot comment on them.

Didn't someone miss some :) off their post?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Jason Earl
October 4th 06, 05:25 PM
Shute > writes:

> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:02:21 -0600, Jason Earl >
> wrote:
>
>>Comparing whey protein to Rolaids is like comparing Catholic nuns to
>>Mack trucks. There's probably a comparison in there somewhere, but
>>only a fool would base his nutritional plan around it.
>>
>>Whey protein is just protein, people have consumed it since the
>>domestication of the cow. Whey protein is no more a drug than cottage
>>cheese or canned tuna. As a food source whey protein is inexpensive,
>>readily available, and fairly palatable.
>>
>>You clearly don't have to take whey protein, but if you are going to
>>counsel others to avoid whey protein you should use an argument that
>>makes some sense.
>>
>>Jason
>
> I think you are way off base here.

That's pretty much my modus operandi.

> My original post was asking about any kind of supplement.

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Depending on how you define
"supplement" the word could include all sorts of dangerous stuff.

> Whey protein isn't going to be harmful unless I overdose on it or
> they do something crazy in their manufacturing. That is why I said
> it was safe to try first. I don't even know what is out there for
> other supplements so I cannot comment on them.

OK, my bad.

Jason