PDA

View Full Version : Re: Supplement Advice

October 3rd 06, 03:53 AM
Shute wrote:
> I am rounding in on my target after dropping 40 pounds. I was
> thinking about supplements during my builk up plan since so many
> people seem to take them. I was in GNC and they got enough whey
> powder to fill my entire apartment so take it that is quite popular.
> So what works and what doesn't? Which ones have addictive qualities
> or side effects like drugs do? I take it alot of this stuff either
> does nothing or has a lot of negative effects on the body.
>
> The whey powder sounds like the most sensible thing to try first. Not
> really sure how much I need if I already eat a fair amount of meat.

Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
nutritional supplements are unnecessary. First, nobody has shown that
you need much more protein (if any), and you certainly don't need meat.
Egg whites are an excellent source of protein. One body builder I know
just eats some tuna for extra protein, which again I don't feel he even
needs.

The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
seem grotesque. dkw

Curt James
October 3rd 06, 04:29 AM
dkw12002 wrote:
[...]

> Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
> nutritional supplements are unnecessary. First, nobody has shown that
> you need much more protein (if any), and you certainly don't need meat.
> Egg whites are an excellent source of protein.
[...]

I believe former Mr. Universe Bill Pearl was a vegetarian. And I made
my newbie gains (a million years ago) from 150 lbs. to 180 lbs. without
supplements. A blender, peanut butter, whole milk, ice cream, eggs, and
literally tons of squats, benches, and rows did me just fine.

> The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
> bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
> seem grotesque. dkw

The few with the genetics to possess the bodybuilder look might even
agree with that estimation (I know I've read of at least one woman who
hated her physique before she was introduced to bodybuilding and to the
fact that some appreciate a muscled female), however bulking up strikes
some as better than being the proverbial stick. Beauty (or grotesque)
is obviously in the eye of the beholder. ;o)

--
Curt

October 3rd 06, 05:19 AM
Curt James wrote:
> dkw12002 wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
> > nutritional supplements are unnecessary. First, nobody has shown that
> > you need much more protein (if any), and you certainly don't need meat.
> > Egg whites are an excellent source of protein.
> [...]
>
> I believe former Mr. Universe Bill Pearl was a vegetarian. And I made
> my newbie gains (a million years ago) from 150 lbs. to 180 lbs. without
> supplements. A blender, peanut butter, whole milk, ice cream, eggs, and
> literally tons of squats, benches, and rows did me just fine.
>
> > The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
> > bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
> > seem grotesque. dkw
>
> The few with the genetics to possess the bodybuilder look might even
> agree with that estimation (I know I've read of at least one woman who
> hated her physique before she was introduced to bodybuilding and to the
> fact that some appreciate a muscled female), however bulking up strikes
> some as better than being the proverbial stick. Beauty (or grotesque)
> is obviously in the eye of the beholder. ;o)
>
> --
> Curt

True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
pounds. At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day and
2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg whites every
day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus. We
do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
body fat was just tested at 11%.

What I find is that people who are overweight have plenty of muscle
under that fat...afterall they've been hauling it around for a while,
so that if they just lose the weight, with moderate exercise they look
just fine. It is the very thin people who might need to bulk up and
gain weight...mostly muscle hopefully. I know I would not want to gain
any weight even if it were muscle. I simply do not need it and don't
think it would look good on me. dkw

JMW
October 3rd 06, 06:09 AM
wrote:

>Shute wrote:
>> I am rounding in on my target after dropping 40 pounds. I was
>> thinking about supplements during my builk up plan since so many
>> people seem to take them. I was in GNC and they got enough whey
>> powder to fill my entire apartment so take it that is quite popular.
>> So what works and what doesn't? Which ones have addictive qualities
>> or side effects like drugs do? I take it alot of this stuff either
>> does nothing or has a lot of negative effects on the body.
>>
>> The whey powder sounds like the most sensible thing to try first. Not
>> really sure how much I need if I already eat a fair amount of meat.
>
>Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
>nutritional supplements are unnecessary. First, nobody has shown that
>you need much more protein (if any), and you certainly don't need meat.
>Egg whites are an excellent source of protein. One body builder I know
>just eats some tuna for extra protein, which again I don't feel he even
>needs.
>
>The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
>bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
>seem grotesque. dkw

Email Tavington. He'll tell you how to acquire the long, slender
muscles you crave.

Robert Schuh
October 3rd 06, 06:36 AM
wrote:

> Shute wrote:
> > I am rounding in on my target after dropping 40 pounds. I was
> > thinking about supplements during my builk up plan since so many
> > people seem to take them. I was in GNC and they got enough whey
> > powder to fill my entire apartment so take it that is quite popular.
> > So what works and what doesn't? Which ones have addictive qualities
> > or side effects like drugs do? I take it alot of this stuff either
> > does nothing or has a lot of negative effects on the body.
> >
> > The whey powder sounds like the most sensible thing to try first. Not
> > really sure how much I need if I already eat a fair amount of meat.
>
> Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
> nutritional supplements are unnecessary.

> First, nobody has shown that
> you need much more protein (if any),

You do if you want to build significant amounts of muscle.

> and you certainly don't need meat.

You certainly do if you want to be an elite athlete or a bodybuilder. There
has NEVER been a top bodybuilder who did not eat meat.

> Egg whites are an excellent source of protein. One body builder I know
> just eats some tuna for extra protein, which again I don't feel he even
> needs.

Who cares what one moron friend of yours does? How many shows has he won??

> The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
> bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
> seem grotesque. dkw

I have a GREAT way to slim down. Go get ****ed in the ass by as many gay men
as possible without a condom. That weight will fall right off of you. :-)

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Robert Schuh
October 3rd 06, 06:41 AM
wrote:

> Curt James wrote:
> > dkw12002 wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
> > > nutritional supplements are unnecessary. First, nobody has shown that
> > > you need much more protein (if any), and you certainly don't need meat.
> > > Egg whites are an excellent source of protein.
> > [...]
> >
> > I believe former Mr. Universe Bill Pearl was a vegetarian. And I made
> > my newbie gains (a million years ago) from 150 lbs. to 180 lbs. without
> > supplements. A blender, peanut butter, whole milk, ice cream, eggs, and
> > literally tons of squats, benches, and rows did me just fine.
> >
> > > The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
> > > bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
> > > seem grotesque. dkw
> >
> > The few with the genetics to possess the bodybuilder look might even
> > agree with that estimation (I know I've read of at least one woman who
> > hated her physique before she was introduced to bodybuilding and to the
> > fact that some appreciate a muscled female), however bulking up strikes
> > some as better than being the proverbial stick. Beauty (or grotesque)
> > is obviously in the eye of the beholder. ;o)
> >
> > --
> > Curt
>
> True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
> pounds.

I hope that you are a female. If you are a male, you need to get an HIV test.

> At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
> including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
> lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
> vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day and
> 2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg whites every
> day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
> muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus.

Tell me Dr. Know it all, where do you get all of your ill informed opinions?

> We
> do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
> with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
> body fat was just tested at 11%.

That is another moronic thing to do. Have you ever heard of Essential fatty
acids? Why do morons like you feel the need to spew their ignorance in public
forums?

> What I find is that people who are overweight have plenty of muscle
> under that fat...afterall they've been hauling it around for a while,
> so that if they just lose the weight, with moderate exercise they look
> just fine. It is the very thin people who might need to bulk up and
> gain weight...mostly muscle hopefully. I know I would not want to gain
> any weight even if it were muscle. I simply do not need it and don't
> think it would look good on me. dkw

That is ****ing wonderful. If that is the case, what are you doing in a
weightlifting/bodybuilding newsgroup? I am sure you look just peachy at 5'8"
and 132. I am sorry, but I am willing to bet that anyone besides yourself would
think that you are anorexic of have HIV being that thin.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Robert Schuh
October 3rd 06, 06:42 AM
wrote:

> Curt James wrote:
> > dkw12002 wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Mine may be a minority opinion, but I think almost all those
> > > nutritional supplements are unnecessary. First, nobody has shown that
> > > you need much more protein (if any), and you certainly don't need meat.
> > > Egg whites are an excellent source of protein.
> > [...]
> >
> > I believe former Mr. Universe Bill Pearl was a vegetarian. And I made
> > my newbie gains (a million years ago) from 150 lbs. to 180 lbs. without
> > supplements. A blender, peanut butter, whole milk, ice cream, eggs, and
> > literally tons of squats, benches, and rows did me just fine.
> >
> > > The next question, which you are probably beyond, is why do you want to
> > > bulk up? I always thought slimmer looks better. Those body builders
> > > seem grotesque. dkw
> >
> > The few with the genetics to possess the bodybuilder look might even
> > agree with that estimation (I know I've read of at least one woman who
> > hated her physique before she was introduced to bodybuilding and to the
> > fact that some appreciate a muscled female), however bulking up strikes
> > some as better than being the proverbial stick. Beauty (or grotesque)
> > is obviously in the eye of the beholder. ;o)
> >
> > --
> > Curt
>
> True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
> pounds. At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
> including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
> lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
> vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day and
> 2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg whites every
> day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
> muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus. We
> do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
> with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
> body fat was just tested at 11%.
>
> What I find is that people who are overweight have plenty of muscle
> under that fat...afterall they've been hauling it around for a while,
> so that if they just lose the weight, with moderate exercise they look
> just fine. It is the very thin people who might need to bulk up and
> gain weight...mostly muscle hopefully. I know I would not want to gain
> any weight even if it were muscle. I simply do not need it and don't
> think it would look good on me. dkw

BTW,
Why don't you take this drivel and post it in some vegetarian newsgroup? People
here are interested in gaining muscle and strength.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Pete
October 3rd 06, 10:57 AM
> schreef:

> True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
> pounds.

Excuse me !?!?!?

Sometimes i wake up screaming, if i had another dream where my weight drops
below 230.

> At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
> including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
> lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
> vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day and
> 2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg whites every
> day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
> muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus. We
> do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
> with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
> body fat was just tested at 11%.

At aprox. 280 pounds, both my BP and cholesterol was low. 115/65. Pulse was
65.
My lungs, despite the fact that i never do cardio, scored 118%. Heart is
*FINE* as well.

I still eat 6 eggs a day. Everyday. WITH the yolk..

I was 40 when they did the tests at that weight.

The scale doesnt say ANYhing about ones health. Nothing.

----
Pete

Pete
October 3rd 06, 10:58 AM
"Robert Schuh" > schreef:

>> True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
>> pounds.

> I hope that you are a female...

You beat me this time!

I was planning to say the same thing.
He better prayes he doesnt end up in prison...

----
Pete

Curt James
October 3rd 06, 11:18 AM
Robert Schuh wrote:
> wrote:
[...]

> > <snip> I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry"
> > at 5'8" and 132 pounds.
>
> I hope that you are a female. If you are a male, you need to
> get an HIV test.

I ran cross-country in high school. That height and weight combination
works for many athletes regardless of gender, Schuh. And... just a
guess, but I'd bet that the OP has *both* kidneys. Say, when's the last
time you were HIV tested? At least you didn't call the OP an ignorant
bitch. Echo, anyone? Oh, that pesky killfile nonsense! :o)

> > <snip> I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
> > muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus.
>
> Tell me Dr. Know it all, where do you get all of your ill informed opinions?

As often as you call people morons, you'd think you'd be aware of the
idea that lean is in so far as longevity is concerened.

> > do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
> > with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
> > body fat was just tested at 11%.
>
> That is another moronic thing to do. Have you ever heard of Essential fatty
> acids?

A reasonable question - perhaps there's hope for you yet.

> Why do morons like you feel the need to spew their ignorance in public
> forums?

Your example gives morons everywhere the courage to speak up? (Another
guess.)

Uh... not to say that dkw12002 is a moron, of course.

> > <snip> I know I would not want to gain any weight even if it
> > were muscle. I simply do not need it and don't think it would
> > look good on me. dkw
>
> That is ****ing wonderful. If that is the case, what are you doing in a
> weightlifting/bodybuilding newsgroup?

Plenty of slim people lift weights, Bobby. AND perhaps you missed the
word fitness which resides smack dab in the middle of
misc.FITNESS.weights?

> I am sure you look just peachy at 5'8" and 132. <snip>

Go measure your waist, 'bert. Go measure your waist.

--
Curt

October 3rd 06, 06:06 PM
Robert Schuh wrote:
> [...]
> > just fine. It is the very thin people who might need to bulk up and
> > gain weight...mostly muscle hopefully. I know I would not want to gain
> > any weight even if it were muscle. I simply do not need it and don't
> > think it would look good on me. dkw
>
> That is ****ing wonderful. If that is the case, what are you doing in a
> weightlifting/bodybuilding newsgroup? I am sure you look just peachy at 5'8"
> and 132. I am sorry, but I am willing to bet that anyone besides yourself would
> think that you are anorexic of have HIV being that thin.
>

> --
> Robert Schuh
> "Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
> intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
> the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
> the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"

Well, not all weightlifters are body builders. Dr. Dean Ornish also
recommends a very-low fat diet. The essesntial fatty acids can be
readily consumed in 3 grams of fat a day for someone my size. FYI, the
medical weight range for someone who is 5"8" (male) is 126-164 lbs. so
I am within the healthy weight category. Your opinion is only that.
There is no health or medical advantage to being heavier, but I agree
many men feel they look better at higher weights. I just happen to
disagree. Chill. dkw

Robert Schuh
October 4th 06, 06:05 AM
wrote:

> Robert Schuh wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
> > > pounds.
> >
> > I hope that you are a female. If you are a male, you need to get an HIV test.
> >
> > > At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
> > > including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
> > > lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
> > > vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day and
> > > 2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg whites every
> > > day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
> > > muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus.
> >
> > Tell me Dr. Know it all, where do you get all of your ill informed opinions?
> >
> > > We
> > > do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
> > > with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
> > > body fat was just tested at 11%.
> >
> > That is another moronic thing to do. Have you ever heard of Essential fatty
> > acids? Why do morons like you feel the need to spew their ignorance in public
> > forums?
> >

> > > What I find is that people who are overweight have plenty of muscle
> > > under that fat...afterall they've been hauling it around for a while,
> > > so that if they just lose the weight, with moderate exercise they look
> > > just fine. It is the very thin people who might need to bulk up and
> > > gain weight...mostly muscle hopefully. I know I would not want to gain
> > > any weight even if it were muscle. I simply do not need it and don't
> > > think it would look good on me. dkw
> >
> > That is ****ing wonderful. If that is the case, what are you doing in a
> > weightlifting/bodybuilding newsgroup? I am sure you look just peachy at 5'8"
> > and 132. I am sorry, but I am willing to bet that anyone besides yourself would
> > think that you are anorexic of have HIV being that thin.
> >

> > --
> > Robert Schuh
> > "Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
> > intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
> > the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
> > the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
> > - Nietzsche
> >
> > http://www.hardbopdrums.com/
>
> Well, not all weightlifters are body builders. Dr. Dean Ornish also
> recommends a very-low fat diet. The essesntial fatty acids can be
> readily consumed in 3 grams of fat a day for someone my size. FYI, the
> medical weight range for someone who is 5"8" (male) is 126-164 lbs. so
> I am within the healthy weight category. Your opinion is only that.
> There is no health or medical advantage to being heavier, but I agree
> many men feel they look better at higher weights. I just happen to
> disagree. Chill. dkw

Why should I chill? You were dispensing incorrect advice. As long as you post
bull****, I will call you out on it. You comments on protein were bull**** and
really, who cares about Dr. Dean Ornish? Is he the god of nutrition? Most people with
MDs don't know the first thing about nutrition.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Bully
October 4th 06, 06:47 AM
wrote:
> Robert Schuh wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and
>>> 132 pounds.
>>
>> I hope that you are a female. If you are a male, you need to get an
>> HIV test.
>>
>>> At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
>>> including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
>>> lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
>>> vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day
>>> and 2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg
>>> whites every day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight,
>>> even if it is muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is
>>> no consensus.
>>
>> Tell me Dr. Know it all, where do you get all of your ill informed
>> opinions?
>>
>>> We
>>> do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat
>>> diet with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of
>>> course. My body fat was just tested at 11%.
>>
>> That is another moronic thing to do. Have you ever heard of
>> Essential fatty acids? Why do morons like you feel the need to spew
>> their ignorance in public forums?
>>

>>> What I find is that people who are overweight have plenty of muscle
>>> under that fat...afterall they've been hauling it around for a
>>> while, so that if they just lose the weight, with moderate exercise
>>> they look just fine. It is the very thin people who might need to
>>> bulk up and gain weight...mostly muscle hopefully. I know I would
>>> not want to gain any weight even if it were muscle. I simply do not
>>> need it and don't think it would look good on me. dkw
>>
>> That is ****ing wonderful. If that is the case, what are you doing
>> in a weightlifting/bodybuilding newsgroup? I am sure you look just
>> peachy at 5'8" and 132. I am sorry, but I am willing to bet that
>> anyone besides yourself would think that you are anorexic of have
>> HIV being that thin.
>>

>> --
>> Robert Schuh
>> "Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
>> intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
>> the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
>> the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
>> - Nietzsche
>>
>> http://www.hardbopdrums.com/
>
> Well, not all weightlifters are body builders. Dr. Dean Ornish

Who?

> also
> recommends a very-low fat diet.

Why?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Robert Schuh
October 4th 06, 09:18 AM
Pete wrote:

> > schreef:
>
> > True. I'm very happy with my physique which is "wiry" at 5'8" and 132
> > pounds.
>
> Excuse me !?!?!?
>
> Sometimes i wake up screaming, if i had another dream where my weight drops
> below 230.
>
> > At 60, I have plenty of energy and work out 6 days a week
> > including walking 30 min. at 4 mph, 30 chin ups, 70 sit ups and some
> > lighter upper body weights. I am in excellent health far as I know,
> > vegetarian, and consume only moderate (60-70 g.) of protein a day and
> > 2,000 cal. I do drink nonfat milk on my cereal and eat egg whites every
> > day though. I am not convinced that any extra weight, even if it is
> > muscle, is good for a person, but I realize there is no consensus. We
> > do agree that too much fat is not good. I also eat a very low fat diet
> > with no more than 10 g. of fat a day and no cholesterol of course. My
> > body fat was just tested at 11%.
>
> At aprox. 280 pounds, both my BP and cholesterol was low. 115/65. Pulse was
> 65.
> My lungs, despite the fact that i never do cardio, scored 118%. Heart is
> *FINE* as well.
>
> I still eat 6 eggs a day. Everyday. WITH the yolk..
>
> I was 40 when they did the tests at that weight.
>
> The scale doesnt say ANYhing about ones health. Nothing.
>
> ----
> Pete

It does if you are a fatty! :-)

--