PDA

View Full Version : advice on powerlifting routine

bleh
December 16th 03, 09:21 AM
I'm trying to set up a powerlifting routine but have a few questions:

If I divide my routine into squat, bench press, and deadlift days, is
a hamstring assistance exercise necessary? If so, on which day should
it be included?

I noticed that many routines are divided into three workouts this way.
Has anyone found that overlap on quad work from the deadlift and squat
day to impede quad strength?

What should the rep ranges of the assistance exercises be? I'm rather
skeptical I need to be calculating the 1rm of my abdominals or
forearms.

Also, does anyone have an tips on deep squatting for a person with
long legs?

Wayne S. Hill
December 16th 03, 02:35 PM
bleh wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a powerlifting routine but have a few
> questions:
>
> If I divide my routine into squat, bench press, and deadlift
> days, is a hamstring assistance exercise necessary? If so,
> on which day should it be included?

Hamstring assistance exercises are usually included in PL
routines on at least one squat day. SLDL, glute/ham raises,
reverse hypers, back extensions, or GM's are the most common.

> I noticed that many routines are divided into three workouts
> this way.

Well, some are, but others involve training each of the lifts,
particularly squat and bench, multiple times per week. This
permits more volume over a given week, and avoids detraining
(which happens if you train a given body part only once per
week).

> Has anyone found that overlap on quad work from
> the deadlift and squat day to impede quad strength?

Not really. Take it from someone whose DL is much heavier
than his squat: DL's are not really that hard on the legs,
for most people.

> What should the rep ranges of the assistance exercises be?
> I'm rather skeptical I need to be calculating the 1rm of my
> abdominals or forearms.

Assistance exercises are usually done with simple progressive
resistance (i.e., not waved with the core exercises). Most
people pick a rep range between 6 and 10, and simply increase
the weights as they're able. Keith points out that you should
work submaximally with assistance exercises, and make sure you
move the weight quickly.

> Also, does anyone have an tips on deep squatting for a
> person with long legs?

Don't assume there's an issue until it makes itself known.
You'll just be moving the weight further than someone with
shorter legs.

--
-Wayne

Jeff Finlayson
December 16th 03, 03:22 PM
bleh wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a powerlifting routine but have a few questions:
>
> If I divide my routine into squat, bench press, and deadlift days, is
> a hamstring assistance exercise necessary? If so, on which day should
> it be included?

Squats and/or deadlifts.

> I noticed that many routines are divided into three workouts this way.
> Has anyone found that overlap on quad work from the deadlift and squat
> day to impede quad strength?

That's not really a problem with the quads if you are doing PL squats.
The glutes, hamstrings and lower back are worked hard with both.

> What should the rep ranges of the assistance exercises be? I'm rather
> skeptical I need to be calculating the 1rm of my abdominals or
> forearms.

6-12 reps should be fine. No need to plan out a routine for abs and
forearms. Just use weights that work you. When the weights get easy
add some more.

> Also, does anyone have an tips on deep squatting for a person with
> long legs?

Practice. :)

Take a look at the routines on the following web page. It should
give you plenty of ideas.
http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/routines.html

- CJF.

OmegaZero2003
December 16th 03, 05:45 PM
This may not be conventional, and it borrows a basic philosophy from the
Westside Barbell Club, but it is organized into only three WO days (instead
of the 4-5) and it has worked great for the last 2 years. I usually do this
for about 8 weeks then change into some other regime for about 4 weeks, then
back to this. Of course, the "assistance" exercises change up a lot (every
week to 2 weeks).

Their philosophy of powerlifting training is basically to split the wos over
the week into a dynamic day and a max-effort day for each of the major PL
muscle groups/lifts. That plus copious work on ancillary lifts and
weak-area work. See www.westside-barbell.com for a LOT more info.

Monday (Dynamic Day)

Legs Week 1: Box Squat Dynamic Day: Box squat with 50% of your 1RM; set box
at 2" below parallel. Idea is to perform the concentric as fast as possible
with good form. I do 8 sets of 2 reps

OR

Legs Week 2: Deadlifts with 50% of your 1RM; Idea is to perform the
concentric as fast as possible with good form. I do 8 sets of 2 reps

All weeks: Assistance exercise:

- Reverse Hypers (since the gym does not have the machine, I place a folded
mat on a spinbike seat to lay on; hips/legs dangling off the backside, hands
grasping bikes handles. . I use one of the leg-raise_from_bar helpers as a
large cuff to go around my ankles, clipped to the low cable pulley. I do 4
sets of 6 reps

- Good Mornings; 8 sets of 2-3 reps.

Chest/Tris Any variation of a bench press Dynamic Day. DO incline or db
flat or floor presses etc., 8 sets of 2 reps @ 50% 1RM. Idea again is to
explode out of the bottom fast.

Chest/Tri assistance: I usually do either a tri extension (db on incline is
very good - 8 sets of 2-3 with heavy weight), and/or a pec fly (usually on a
ball using cables).

Back: Pull-ups OR Rows OR etc etc.

Abs: leg raises and standing cable curls are a staple.

Then I go jump onto platforms of various heights - probably 10-15 sets of
1-3 reps depending on height.

Wednesday

I fill with all the ancillary muscle exercises like:

- rotator cuff
- calves
- tris (I do 3 sets of bodyweight thence BW + dbells) dips
- Bis: (take your choice)
- more abs - take your choice

Friday (Max Effort Day)

Legs/Squat Week 1: Max effort squats. Although some say to do a 1RM until
you miss, I do not like to miss considering that scenario can mean you
missed because you got injured. So I do doubles. About 8 sets of 2 with
(after warm-ups) 80-90% 1RM or so.

OR

Legs/DL Week 2 : Max effort Deadlift About 8 sets of 2 with (after warm-ups)
80-90% 1RM or so.

Bench Max Effort: Flat BP doing doubles. 8 sets of 2 reps

Back: Weighted pull-ups or Heavy rows etc. 8 sets of 2.

Then I go hit the bag (kicks mostly)

Notice that DL and Squat are done every other week, but 2x per week. So no
overlap issues and you get the benefit of a dynamic/form-improvement day and
a day to build your CNS/absolute strength (rate coding etc.) on max-effort
day.

AFA deep squatting try placing your legs wider. Try box squats set a few
inches below parallel. Start with just body weight and progress from their.
Ensure your Achilles and lower back is stretched/Range-of-motion before
hand.

Do not worry about 1RM calcs for forearms and abs. In fact, I would not
worry about doing any specific exercise for forearms. Deadlifting (no
straps) and pull-ups and other gripping exercises will be all that is
usually necessary. For abs; I usually keep the reps to 6 and go heavy enough
such that the six is hard. Exception to that is the leg raises where I go
to failure.

om...