PDA

View Full Version : Are You As Strong As A U.S. Army Ranger Or Is It All Show Muscles??


November 12th 06, 08:01 AM
As a former Army Ranger I know the benefits of weight training, but
many gym rats look upon weight lifting as the "holy grail" of
muscle building.

The reality is that while weights can play an important part in your
conditioning program it is not the end all be all.

So the question that pops in my mind is "how useful are your weight
trained muscle?"

Let's put them to the test...

Here's a taste of the physical requirements of becoming a U.S. Army
Ranger.
Try them out test yourself and see if you really are in shape.

See if you're fit enough to wear the beret.

Army Rangers-Lead The Way

Ever wanted to put on the Army Ranger Tab on your uniform? Here is what
you have to do to become a Ranger. The training is broken up into three
phases: Fort Benning Phase, Mountain Phase, and Florida Phase. The
Benning Phase is executed in two parts and lasts for a total of 20
days.

As with most Special Operations units, the first phase is very
physical.

You will be required to perform an Army Ranger PFT consisting of the
following:

Push-ups - 49+
Sit-ups - 59+
Chin ups - 6+
2 mile run in running shoes in 15:12 minutes or less
Other physical requirements and tests:
Combat water survival test
5-mile runs
3-mile runs with an obstacle course
16-mile foot march
Night and day land navigation tests

The most important pre-training exercise to do prior to Ranger school
is walking fast in your boots with 50 pounds of weight on your back.

You will do this everyday you are at Ranger School. Running at least 5
miles, 3-4 times a week and swimming in uniform 2-3 times a week is
recommended as well.

Pack on a 5-10 pounds of body weight prior to going so you have a
little to lose when you are consuming fewer calories a day.

Also known as "forced marches" or "humps", these events are
basically walking at a fast pace over rough terrain with a back pack at
least 45 lbs in weight. When you take the ruck march test, you will
also carry a weapon, wear boots, BDU (Battle Dress Uniform -
"fatigues" pants/blouse), LBE (Load Bearing Equipment - shoulder
harness with canteens with water), and a helmet.

If you break it down, you need to train the major muscle groups of the
body - legs and back. Sure your upper body (shoulders and arms) come
into play carrying the backpack and weapon, but you will get most of
your exhaustion from the legs and lower back.

So, training your legs in running, leg PT, and rucking will build
stamina and endurance you need for any type of Army or land navigation
training.

There are many ways to develop the legs and torso for the Ruck March.

The Run and Leg PT Workout:
Repeat 4-5 times
Run 1 mile at your goal pace (6-8:00/mile) (no ruck sack)
Squats - 30
Lunges - 20 / leg
Calves (heel raises)- 30 per leg
The Non-impact version of Leg PT:
Bike and Leg PT:
Repeat 4-5 times

Bike 5:00 at increasing levels per minute on a Life Cycle type
stationary bike
Squats - 30
Lunges - 20 / leg
Calves - 30 per leg

Long Distance Bike / Leg Workout:

Life Cycle Pyramid:
On a stationary bike with manual mode and levels of resistance:
Start at level 1 for 1 minute, increase resistance level by 1 level
each minute until you can no longer pedal in between the 80-90 RPM
zone. Typically, people will do this workout for 20-30 minutes
depending on the bike they have. Some bike will max out at level 12 and
some will go to at least 20 levels. Both are tough to get to the top of
the pyramid levels.

Once at the top, repeat all levels in reverse order and work yourself
down the other side of the pyramid. Usually by the end of the pyramid,
there is a puddle under you and your legs will be exhausted.

And, of course, there are long distance ruck marches for 10-20 miles
with at least 45 lbs in a ruck sack you must train for prior to some of
the advanced Army courses. The best way to train for these to move out
with a ruck sack for 1-4 hours at a time combined with smart foot care.

Interesting stuff huh? Try it see if you're fit enough.

Frank Sherrill

************************************************** ********
Frank Sherrill, is a former U.S. Army Ranger and Martial Arts expert.
After surviving a horrific weight training accident, he spent years
researching and finally discovering an exercise program and home gym
that was as effective as free weights but, without all the RISK

http://www.BullyXtreme.net

Curt
November 12th 06, 08:47 AM
emelem8 wrote:

-=snip!=-

By "Show" muscles, do you mean "Fluffy" muscles? Because that term's
really frowned upon in these parts.

Just sayin'.

--
Curt

Will Brink
November 12th 06, 02:55 PM
In article om>,
wrote:

> As a former Army Ranger I know the benefits of weight training, but
> many gym rats look upon weight lifting as the "holy grail" of
> muscle building.

But it is. If building muscle, vs being functional for a particular talk,
then weight training is king. I know many Rangers, and not one looks like
a pro bber.

>
> The reality is that while weights can play an important part in your
> conditioning program it is not the end all be all.

But thats not what you said. Conditioning, functionality, etc, vs building
msucle for the sake of building muscle are two different issues. You said
" many gym rats look upon weight lifting as the "holy grail" of muscle
building." which is true.

>
> So the question that pops in my mind is "how useful are your weight
> trained muscle?"

Depends, what do you want to use them for?

Pete
November 12th 06, 03:04 PM
> schreef:

> So the question that pops in my mind is "how useful are your weight
> trained muscle?"

They arent.

Thats what you wanted to hear, isnt it?

You are stronger and in better shape then me, okay?

----
Pete

Lumpy
November 17th 06, 05:27 AM
wrote:
> You will be required to perform an
> Army Ranger PFT consisting of the
> following:
>
> Push-ups - 49+
> Sit-ups - 59+
> Chin ups - 6+
> 2 mile run in running shoes in 15:12 minutes or less
> Other physical requirements and tests:
> Combat water survival test
> 5-mile runs
> 3-mile runs with an obstacle course
> 16-mile foot march
> Night and day land navigation tests

Is that really the level that our Rangers
are at? I'm 50 y/o, overweight and pretty sedentary.
I can do all of the above except the chin ups, of
which I can do only two. I'm ~40 lbs overweight.

I can recall at age 19, where perhaps these Ranger
recruits are at, I could do much, much better than
those numbers. And I'm not an athlete or a soldier,
I'm a freakin musician!


Lumpy
--
You were on Leave it to Beaver?
No, I was on on CHiPs. That Beaver Lumpy
was Frank Bank.
www.lumpymusic.net

Roly Poly Man
November 17th 06, 05:50 AM
"Lumpy" <I'm 50 y/o, overweight and pretty sedentary. I can do all of the
above except the chin ups, of which I can do only two. I'm ~40 lbs
overweight.
>

Yeah, but they can do all those things in the same morning. You need one day
for each event. That's the difference.

BradandBrooks
November 17th 06, 10:05 AM
"Lumpy" > wrote in message
...
> wrote:
>> You will be required to perform an
>> Army Ranger PFT consisting of the
>> following:
>>
>> Push-ups - 49+
>> Sit-ups - 59+
>> Chin ups - 6+
>> 2 mile run in running shoes in 15:12 minutes or less
>> Other physical requirements and tests:
>> Combat water survival test
>> 5-mile runs
>> 3-mile runs with an obstacle course
>> 16-mile foot march
>> Night and day land navigation tests
>
> Is that really the level that our Rangers
> are at? I'm 50 y/o, overweight and pretty sedentary.
> I can do all of the above except the chin ups, of
> which I can do only two. I'm ~40 lbs overweight.
>
> I can recall at age 19, where perhaps these Ranger
> recruits are at, I could do much, much better than
> those numbers. And I'm not an athlete or a soldier,
> I'm a freakin musician!
>
>
> Lumpy
> --
> You were on Leave it to Beaver?
> No, I was on on CHiPs. That Beaver Lumpy
> was Frank Bank.
> www.lumpymusic.net
>

Seems a little weak to me too. That has to be the absolute minimum. For
example, many police services require very low standards but any cop worth
his salt just blows them away.

Brad

Neil Gendzwill
November 17th 06, 04:05 PM
BradandBrooks wrote:
> "Lumpy" > wrote in message
> ...
>
wrote:
>>
>>>You will be required to perform an
>>>Army Ranger PFT consisting of the
>>>following:
>>>
>>>Push-ups - 49+
>>>Sit-ups - 59+
>>>Chin ups - 6+
>>>2 mile run in running shoes in 15:12 minutes or less
>>>Other physical requirements and tests:
>>>Combat water survival test
>>>5-mile runs
>>>3-mile runs with an obstacle course
>>>16-mile foot march
>>>Night and day land navigation tests
>>
>>Is that really the level that our Rangers
>>are at? I'm 50 y/o, overweight and pretty sedentary.
>>I can do all of the above except the chin ups, of
>>which I can do only two. I'm ~40 lbs overweight.
>
> Seems a little weak to me too. That has to be the absolute minimum. For
> example, many police services require very low standards but any cop worth
> his salt just blows them away.

I could pass the first 4 parts of that test, hard to say about the rest
as it's not very specific. I'm a middle-aged man in not particularily
stunning shape. I've seen a similarily lax set of requirements
supposedly for the SEALs. I suspect either they are bogus requirements,
or they're bare minimum entrance requirements to get you into the
course. To survive either course you have to be a lot tougher than I am.

Neil