PDA

View Full Version : Hack Squat - Leg Press Machine brand recommendations.

John
November 13th 06, 12:26 AM
Hello,

I am a 50 year old fatman, still lifting weights. I am about to purchase a
hack squat - Leg press machine. I am not so worried about leg pressing, but
for a little more $$$, it looks like you can get both in one machine. I am
considering Body Solid, but would rather buy American made, if I could.
What brands are considered reliable? I squat circa 345 lbs, for a set of
10, if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Planning to keep lifting for another 50 years,

John

Stu
November 13th 06, 03:04 AM
John wrote:
> I am a 50 year old fatman, still lifting weights. I am about to purchase a
> hack squat - Leg press machine. I am not so worried about leg pressing, but
> for a little more $$$, it looks like you can get both in one machine. I am
> considering Body Solid, but would rather buy American made, if I could.

I have the Body Solid machine, and for the price it's pretty good. It's
good being able to angle the footplate down for calves too.
Although - it's rated to 1000 pounds, but good luck getting that much
on there (unless you have 100lb plates). The most I've put on is about
800.

Also, the "undercarriage" design means that when you really load it up
for leg presses, it feels like it binds a bit, because the sled will
raise a bit at the front. This can be countered by putting some plates
on top, but it's something I've only just started experimenting with.
(I intend to modify it so that I can put more plates on top too). I
think all these domestic LP/HS machines are the same in that regard
anyway due to the compact design.

I personally prefer the roller design of the Body Solid over those with
linear bearings. Try both and see what you prefer. I think the linear
bearing ones tend to have a lower load rating.

If you're primarily going to use it for hack squats, then the Body
Solid is a great machine, and as I said, the calf position of the
footplate is a nice bonus.

Stu

Steve Freides
November 13th 06, 05:54 PM
"John" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am a 50 year old fatman, still lifting weights. I am about to
> purchase a
> hack squat - Leg press machine. I am not so worried about leg
> pressing, but
> for a little more $$$, it looks like you can get both in one machine.
> I am
> considering Body Solid, but would rather buy American made, if I
> could.
> What brands are considered reliable? I squat circa 345 lbs, for a set
> of
> 10, if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Planning to keep lifting for another 50 years,

This:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

is a Hack Squat with a barbell.

This:

http://www.dragondoor.com/wpkb12.html?kbid=1022#hack

is the kettlebell version.

When it comes to what I think you're talking about, which is squatting
with the bar in a track, I suggest you Just Say No - either of the above
are great exercise and don't need any sort of machine.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Pete
November 15th 06, 11:07 AM
"Steve Freides" > schreef:

> This:

> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

> is a Hack Squat with a barbell.

No it isnt.

Its a deadlift with the bar behind the legs instead of in front.

The torso of that guy declines 30 degrees forward. During the Hack, the
torso remains in the same position.

> This:

> http://www.dragondoor.com/wpkb12.html?kbid=1022#hack

> is the kettlebell version.

Unbelieveble...

This is not a Hack squat either.

The heels are of the floor, and the knees go to much forward.

Besides... it looks like you just take a **** and a KettleBell came out of
your ass.

> When it comes to what I think you're talking about, which is squatting
> with the bar in a track, I suggest you Just Say No - either of the above
> are great exercise and don't need any sort of machine.

Thats good Stevie.

Why dont you just "say no" to Haldol? Or, perhaps you allready did ?!?!?!

----
Pete