PDA

View Full Version : good training foundation required

druncula
November 28th 06, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

After years of on / off training, doing things right / wrong all at the

same time, buying book after book and magazine after magazine trying
out routines, ive decided to unlearn what ever i've learned and want to

fill my glass from empty so to speak.

Ive just joined a brand new gym, and have commited to doing things
right this time round, so i would appreciate any advice to help me
build a training routine that my life will fit in with.

Im male, 35, weigh around 190lbs at 5'9 so i reckon im carrying around
30lbs of crap, mostly around the gut!! so looking to reduce fat and
build muscle, gain some fitness and prepare my heart for the 2nd half
of my life!

I can train 5 days a week if required for an hour each session.
Currently thinking along the lines of 3 weights days - back / bicep ,
chest / triceps/ shou, legs/abs with some HIT and long low intestity
cardio using heart rate monitor thrown in.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve Freides
November 28th 06, 02:17 PM
"druncula" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi all,
>

> After years of on / off training, doing things right / wrong all at
> the
>
> same time, buying book after book and magazine after magazine trying
> out routines, ive decided to unlearn what ever i've learned and want
>
> fill my glass from empty so to speak.
>

> Ive just joined a brand new gym, and have commited to doing things
> right this time round, so i would appreciate any advice to help me
> build a training routine that my life will fit in with.
>

> Im male, 35, weigh around 190lbs at 5'9 so i reckon im carrying around
> 30lbs of crap, mostly around the gut!! so looking to reduce fat and
> build muscle, gain some fitness and prepare my heart for the 2nd half
> of my life!
>

> I can train 5 days a week if required for an hour each session.
> Currently thinking along the lines of 3 weights days - back / bicep ,
> chest / triceps/ shou, legs/abs with some HIT and long low intestity
> cardio using heart rate monitor thrown in.
>

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Find something you enjoy doing or have always wanted to try -
powerlifting, strongman training, playing with the local weekend soccer
team, studying a martial art - and do it regularly. The details aren't
terribly important as long as it's something you enjoy. A "good training
foundation" would be to learn the basics of Olympic lifting or
powerlifting.

Changing your body composition is overwhelmingly about diet for most
people most of the time, a good point to keep in mind.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Tom Anderson
November 28th 06, 08:00 PM
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, druncula wrote:

> I can train 5 days a week if required for an hour each session.
> Currently thinking along the lines of 3 weights days - back / bicep ,
> chest / triceps/ shou, legs/abs with some HIT and long low intestity
> cardio using heart rate monitor thrown in.

My guess would be that you'd be better served by using your three weight
days to do a whole-body workout, rather than splitting. From what you've
said, it sounds like you're effectively a beginner - maybe not in terms of
experience, but in terms of muscle development right now - 160 lb of lean
body mass at 5'9" is slightly less than i have at slightly taller than i
am, and i'm definitely a beginner. People like us are, i believe, best
served by whole-body workouts for the time being.

So, not to sound like a stuck record, but use your hour to do:

bench press
bent-over row
squat
Romanian deadlift
shoulder press (etc) OR upright row
pull-up or -down

Two sets of ten of each. Use dumbbells for the bench presses and rows, to
train both sides equally.

You'll have to trade of gain of muscle (via eating lots) against loss of
fat (via eating little). With any luck, you can eat little but well, and
do both, at least to begin with.

tom

--
No kings, voting or presidents, just a rough consensus and running
code. -- Dave Clark

Sag
November 28th 06, 08:31 PM
Tom Anderson ha escrito:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, druncula wrote:
>
> My guess would be that you'd be better served by using your three weight
> days to do a whole-body workout, rather than splitting. From what you've
> said, it sounds like you're effectively a beginner - maybe not in terms of
> experience, but in terms of muscle development right now - 160 lb of lean
> body mass at 5'9" is slightly less than i have at slightly taller than i
> am, and i'm definitely a beginner. People like us are, i believe, best
> served by whole-body workouts for the time being.
>
> So, not to sound like a stuck record, but use your hour to do:
>
> bench press
> bent-over row
> squat
> Romanian deadlift
> shoulder press (etc) OR upright row
> pull-up or -down
>
> Two sets of ten of each. Use dumbbells for the bench presses and rows, to
> train both sides equally.

To expand on the excellent advice given above, see
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

Excerpts:
**Means this is OPTIONAL**

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
**2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline
Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
**2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

Weight:

As for the weight, make sure that you use the SAME weight throughout
the sets. For example if I do the first set if Squats with 200lbs then
I do the other 2 sets of squats with 200lbs.

Every week make it a goal to increase each of your lifts by 2.5%.
Meaning if I lifted 100lbs for my Bench Week 1 then Week 2 I would try
for 102.5lbs. If I did 200lb Squats Week 1 I would try for 205lbs in
Week 2. Sometimes you will be able to do more but don't mess with
your form just to lift more.

Warm-up Sets:

Before all your working sets it is best to do a few warm-up sets.
Specifically for your first lift. You don't have to do the whole
thing for the other lifts but definitely the first.

What you do is you ramp your weight up to your working sets.

For example:

2x5xbar (sets x reps x weight)
1x5x85
1x3x125
1x2x155

It's a writeup of a starting strength routine by Rippetoe. As good as
it gets with a cookie cutter routine.

druncula
November 29th 06, 08:19 AM
Thanks Guys for the replies.

Some ideas there that ive not considered before i.e whole body workout
and using the same weight through the set instead of trying to increase
during the set (warm up withstanding)

Thanks again!